GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Jul 2020, 20:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Wharton MBA vs Yale SOM

new topic post reply Update application status  

which school for Social Impact Sector

• 60% [15]
  • 40% [10]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Wharton MBA vs Yale SOM  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Apr 2015, 01:10
Hi,

I got an admit from Wharton and Yale in round 2 (NO scholarships from any school) and I am having a hard time to decide which school to go to. I am going to tell a little about myself and my thought process in choosing the schools. Any help is highly appreciated -

I have 5 years of experience - Computer Engineer by background -> Worked in Goldman Sachs for 3 years -> Teach for India fellow 2 years.
Interests - Love getting involved in the community activities like organizing events, like being close to nature, not a very hard party person, connect well with people in one-on-one conversations, also enthusiastic about arts.
Future aspirations - Want to work as a social impact consultant after MBA either with McKinsey, Bain, UN, World Bank, etc (Looking to work in the social impact sector but not necessarily non-profit). In the long-term, I wish to set up my own social impact consultancy firm in India (I don't have any entrepreneurship background).

Wharton -
1. Better brand
2. More chances of getting to know people going into entrepreneurship because of large class-size
3. Stronger alumni network in India and world-wide
4. Philly as a city better than New Haven (though it does not matter much to me)

Yale -
1. Considered better for social sector (actually non-profit sector, not sure of social entrepreneurship area)
2. Smaller class-size means higher chances of standing out and getting to know everyone
3. I had a great experience overall in terms of people extending the help starting from applications, alumni, interview.
4. Since I am an artistic person, having access to Yale school or drama sounds appealing (though it does not directly relate to my MBA) :P

At the end, I don't want to get diluted in the Finance school because I want to work in the Social Impact Sector. So, I am not able to understand if I will get enough opportunities to work on Social Initiatives. :roll:

Thank you in advance!

Originally posted by pca22789 on 31 Mar 2015, 03:52.
Last edited by PTK on 03 Apr 2015, 01:10, edited 2 times in total.
added poll
Board of Directors
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Reviews Badge
Re: Wharton MBA vs Yale SOM  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 11:55
I think SOM would be a great fit for you. The social enterprise space is huge here, and what I love about SOM is how you can take a ton of finance courses and get the strong foundation while also learning how to apply those skills to another space, like social enterprise. We've had a ton of students go into this exact space and the recruiting here is very very strong. Happy to connect you with my classmates who went through this process-- PM me if you're interested.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Note: I do not complete individual profile reviews. Please use the Admissions Consultant or Peer Review forums to get feedback on your profile.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Statistics, Economics
Schools: Booth - Class of 2014
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: Wharton MBA vs Yale SOM  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2015, 21:37
Ask how many people got into Dalberg, FSG, or Bridgespan from each school. This would tell you which school places more student into social impact consulting. Yale SOM might be emphasizing social impact more but does it actually perform better than Wharton when it comes to job placement or social entrepreneurship?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Wharton MBA vs Yale SOM   [#permalink] 02 Apr 2015, 21:37

Wharton MBA vs Yale SOM

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate