Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Re: Thanks Paul! [#permalink]
emondryc wrote:
in terms of going the nonprofit route, I started in Sales & Trading, and did well for a year, but basically fell into my position at the World Bank. I felt the opportunity to get this international exposure at my age was something I couldn't turn down. It's far from the standard nonprofit experience.

I'm not set on Real Estate, it's definitely something I'm interested in, but my long term goal is to start my own business. I'm not sure what the business will be in, but I want to work for myself, and I want the skills and network that a top MBA would provide.

Would you even mention Real Estate if you were me? It's the hot field right now, and there will be tons of applicants interested in it.

Thanks!

Emondryc,

Well, you are aiming high, so you need to stand out, and your NGO experiences are definitely distinctive. If you can find some way to bridge those experiences and your real estate goals, then that could work. Otherwise, it might be more effective to state a goal that clearly grows out of the NGO/nonprofit experiences. If you have a specific, non-superficial-sounding reason for wanting to go into real estate short-term but then longer term start a company whose focus grows out of your NGP/nonprofit experiences then that too could work. Especially for goals that are "hot" you need to go out of your way to be specific and informed in your goal statement, so you don't just sound like you're jumping on a bandwagon.

Hope this helps.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Thanks Paul! [#permalink]