GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 05 Dec 2019, 20:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Sloan Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: Sloan Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2019, 05:43
26, male, Indian Sikh.
Business economics graduate from Delhi University (first division). I've derived that my GPA is 3.7 (kindly correct if wrong)
GMAT: 740 (Q51, V39, IR8, AWA6)
Work experience:
Full time 2.5 years, freelance 1.5 years.

I freelanced with a production studio as a cinematographer and a video editor for 6 months. They hired me full-time and promoted me to the post of senior producer because I was good at dealing with clients. This lasted for 6 months too.
Then I left for Mumbai to assist in ads and films to learn more. I was freelancing as well. I was the assistant cinematographer in Kapil Sharma's "Firangi". Was part of many short films as well.

Then I joined my family business of medicine exports. It involved handling purchase and negotiating rates and payment terms. Soon I started travelling to Imphal to manage a pharmacy as it's conflict struck area and hiring someone local was tough.
Additionally, I became a mutual fund distributor in Jan last year. I have a sizeable AUM under me. I am also a stock trader. I still freelance as a cinematographer.

In college I used to make short films on social causes. I'd write, shoot, direct and edit myself. The topics ranged from communal differences, eve teasing to organ donation. I screened the organ donation movie in my college and about 50 viewers pledged their organs after the screening.
I also won numerous awards in -
Street theatre
Best photographer
Best cinematography
Best short film (director)

I wish to get into financial consulting post MBA.

What is the deal breaker here? I've been told that my work ex won't count since I've mostly worked for myself or my family (albeit full time).

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
Re: Sloan Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2019, 10:53
Hi there - you have an interesting background, and good GMAT. I actually don't view your experience in family business as a bad thing at all; many students come to business school with family or self-employment backgrounds (most top schools have "family business" clubs in fact).

Reading your profile, I would say that you may want to think about applying in another year, when you have closer to 4 years of experience under your belt walking in to an MBA. The reason I say that is you have a diverse background and if I were a business school adcom, I'd want to see some focused or concerted work for a few years; I think it brings more to the classroom. Waiting a year or two will also help you answer the "Why MIT Sloan?" question; MIT cares deeply about cultural fit, and so you'll really want to understand the program before you apply. Attend online info sessions, talk to local alumni, etc. over the next year and really hone in on what you're currently doing, what you want to do, and why Sloan. Good luck! FWIW, I think you'll be an intriguing applicant.

Taranveersingh93 wrote:
26, male, Indian Sikh.
Business economics graduate from Delhi University (first division). I've derived that my GPA is 3.7 (kindly correct if wrong)
Work experience:

I freelanced with a production studio as a cinematographer and a video editor for 6 months. They hired me full-time and promoted me to the post of senior producer because I was good at dealing with clients. This lasted for 6 months too.
Then I left for Mumbai to assist in ads and films to learn more. I was freelancing as well. I was the assistant cinematographer in Kapil Sharma's "Firangi". Was part of many short films as well.

Then I joined my family business of medicine exports. It involved handling purchase and negotiating rates and payment terms. Soon I started travelling to Imphal to manage a pharmacy as it's conflict struck area and hiring someone local was tough.
Additionally, I became a mutual fund distributor in Jan last year. I have a sizeable AUM under me. I am also a stock trader. I still freelance as a cinematographer.

In college I used to make short films on social causes. I'd write, shoot, direct and edit myself. The topics ranged from communal differences, eve teasing to organ donation. I screened the organ donation movie in my college and about 50 viewers pledged their organs after the screening.
Street theatre
Best photographer
Best cinematography

What is the deal breaker here? I've been told that my work ex won't count since I've mostly worked for myself or my family (albeit full time).

Intern
Intern
B
WE: Business Development (Entertainment and Sports)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2019, 22:18
30, male, Indian.
Graduation: Mechanical Engineering graduate. GPA - 6.5
School: X - 82, XII - 84
GMAT: 680 (will be re-attempting in Nov)
Work experience: Full time - 9.5 years

Began my first startup(media production & artist management) right out of college (during final year, 2010). Incorporated from a proprietorship to a Pvt Ltd firm in 2015, and acquired a enterprise ISP provider in 2015. Positive exit from the ISP firm in sale to telecom arm of ADAG (Anil Dirubhai Ambani Group) in 2016. The parent media firm is currently a vendor to firms such as Allianz and a partner to a state govt. tourism ministry.

I started a NGO in 2016, focussed on child education and women welfare. Have conducted multiple medical camps, sponsored a dozen students in partnership with corporate CSR tie-ups, and conduct quarterly camps to collect study materials for children at orphanages.

Since Nov 2016, I have also been consulting with a niche/boutique management consulting firm, working on fundraising (investments, working capital) and sales strategy for startups and organisations.

I wish to get into media/finance post my MBA.

I wish to know how my profile stands and what need to be improved w.r.t improving my chances.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2019, 09:59
Thank you so much for taking out the time and responding. This makes a lot of sense. Thanks
arbybee wrote:
Hi there - you have an interesting background, and good GMAT. I actually don't view your experience in family business as a bad thing at all; many students come to business school with family or self-employment backgrounds (most top schools have "family business" clubs in fact).

Reading your profile, I would say that you may want to think about applying in another year, when you have closer to 4 years of experience under your belt walking in to an MBA. The reason I say that is you have a diverse background and if I were a business school adcom, I'd want to see some focused or concerted work for a few years; I think it brings more to the classroom. Waiting a year or two will also help you answer the "Why MIT Sloan?" question; MIT cares deeply about cultural fit, and so you'll really want to understand the program before you apply. Attend online info sessions, talk to local alumni, etc. over the next year and really hone in on what you're currently doing, what you want to do, and why Sloan. Good luck! FWIW, I think you'll be an intriguing applicant.

Taranveersingh93 wrote:
26, male, Indian Sikh.
Work experience:

Street theatre
Best photographer
Best cinematography

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2019, 12:21
Hello all, considering applying for LGO program for 2021.
GRE Score: Verbal 162/ Quantitative 164/ Analytical Writing 3.5
GMAT: Starting to study for next year
BSc: Biological Engineering, Cornell University 2015
GPA: 3.47
Work Experience:
2.5 years in bioag/biofuels R&D
1 year in disruptive pharma startup as a project engineer/manager
15 years of food service
Founding members of company sustainability committee
Goals: Bootstrap series A and B pharma/biotech/food startups into commercial readiness with a focus on operational strategy, infrastructure development, and sustainable growth.

I am a second career engineer. I worked in food service from 2001-2015 with professional culinary training in 2007. I am currently exploring options to get a small value added food company and a recruitment consulting company for engineers and scientists off the ground.
Thanks for any insights.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 4
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)
Sloan Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2019, 12:43
Hi All,

About my Profile-
Male, 30, India
Engineer- Background in Chemical/Process Engineering (IIT)
Degree- BTech + MTech
GMAT- 49/40 (720), Toefl (104)
GPA- 4
Professional Background- Working with an FMCG Conglomerate. (CPG)
Work Experience- Will have 7 years of work experience before joining

Work Description- Operations Manager. Worked in Manufacturing for almost 6 years. Taken up various profiles. Currently working as Factory Manager at one of the largest foods manufacturing plants in India. Have decent exposure in leadership, project management, process excellence, new product development, skill development, etc. Have worked in contract and own manufacturing setups. Decent exposure in facets of supply chain: procurement, planning, distribution, etc.

LT Goals- Entrepreneurship, Operations Consulting, Own Firm

@Social- Been associated with multiple crowd funding startups, active donor, Been associated with several other NGOs (For Blind and For Girl Child)
@College- Been a Gold Medalist, Multiple Awards in Sports, Been an All Rounder throughout my college tenure, Multiple college representation at national platforms
@Organization (Work)- Led multiple award winning endeavours, led multiple change management initiatives, led multiple government liaising to drive skill development and recognition
Sia Admissions Representative
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2019, 10:58
Hi chasewbrett,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. I think you have an interesting profile with an equally impressive objective; with 15+ years of experience, however, it becomes a bit tricky to receive admission to a traditional 2-year MBA. I recommend you look at the Sloan Fellows MBA program (1-year) that may provide a lot of the skills you are looking for. It's a lot like the traditional MBA, but catering specifically for mid-career professionals.

I am happy to discuss your profile, and how we can help you differentiate. When ready, please reach out.

Good luck!

chasewbrett wrote:
Hello all, considering applying for LGO program for 2021.
GRE Score: Verbal 162/ Quantitative 164/ Analytical Writing 3.5
GMAT: Starting to study for next year
BSc: Biological Engineering, Cornell University 2015
GPA: 3.47
Work Experience:
2.5 years in bioag/biofuels R&D
1 year in disruptive pharma startup as a project engineer/manager
15 years of food service
Founding members of company sustainability committee
Goals: Bootstrap series A and B pharma/biotech/food startups into commercial readiness with a focus on operational strategy, infrastructure development, and sustainable growth.

I am a second career engineer. I worked in food service from 2001-2015 with professional culinary training in 2007. I am currently exploring options to get a small value added food company and a recruitment consulting company for engineers and scientists off the ground.
Thanks for any insights.

+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Sloan '22
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.82
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2019, 23:41
I am planning to apply for an MBA program in IVY league colleges. My aspirational course is a Joint 3 year MBA program (MIT Sloan+ HKS) or (GSB +HKS).
My profile:
Nationality: Indian
Graduation: MSc. in Economics (5-year Integrated Course)
College: IIT Kanpur (2010-2015)
CPI: 7.6/10

Work Experience:

A) Management Consultant at BCG (2015-2017)

Worked as an Associate at BCG right after college. Worked at BCG India office for 2 years on 7 projects across multiple functional (Technology, IG, Consumer Goods & Public Sector) & operational areas (HR, BPO, Strategy, etc.). In one of the projects, worked directly with VP, HR of an MNC to design a career architecture for their firm, it was an IP.

During my last project, I got exposed to the public sector & found my interest in working with Government especially in the development sector, which led to my current firm.

B) Management Consultant in Governance Consulting Start-up, 2017-Current (~22 months)

Worked on an ambitious & 1st of its kind project with a Philanthropic organization (BMGF) & Ministry of Agriculture. Worked directly with Principal Secretary & his team to create a technical platform (dashboard) for taking key decisions. My main role has been to diagnose issues in different aspects of Agriculture (Markets, credit, insurance, etc.), designed both tech & non-tech solutions & ensure implementation through the governement machinery. I have designed, conceptualized & spearheaded product development for 3 problem statements. Hence, I have had a product manager experience in addition to a seasoned consultant. I also got promoted from an associate (N-3 to a manager) to a Consultant (N-2 to a manager).

Extracurricular:
Back in College, I was actively involved in Student politics since my 1st year & later represented students as President, Students' Gymkhana (IIT Kanpur). I also was the Captain of the Institute's Table tennis team. I also graduated in Music (6-year course in Tabla) (this is before College)

I have not taken GMAT yet but am confident that I will get 700+ score
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2019, 05:59
Neither MIT nor Stanford are Ivy League.

I'm not sure why you're focused on Ivies for graduate school. Many top programs (like the two you cite, as well as Kellogg, Booth, Ross, Haas, and Stern) are not in the Ivy League, while some less competitive programs (like Johnson) are.

hpandey wrote:
I am planning to apply for an MBA program in IVY league colleges. My aspirational course is a Joint 3 year MBA program (MIT Sloan+ HKS) or (GSB +HKS).
My profile:
Nationality: Indian
Graduation: MSc. in Economics (5-year Integrated Course)
College: IIT Kanpur (2010-2015)
CPI: 7.6/10

Work Experience:

A) Management Consultant at BCG (2015-2017)

Worked as an Associate at BCG right after college. Worked at BCG India office for 2 years on 7 projects across multiple functional (Technology, IG, Consumer Goods & Public Sector) & operational areas (HR, BPO, Strategy, etc.). In one of the projects, worked directly with VP, HR of an MNC to design a career architecture for their firm, it was an IP.

During my last project, I got exposed to the public sector & found my interest in working with Government especially in the development sector, which led to my current firm.

B) Management Consultant in Governance Consulting Start-up, 2017-Current (~22 months)

Worked on an ambitious & 1st of its kind project with a Philanthropic organization (BMGF) & Ministry of Agriculture. Worked directly with Principal Secretary & his team to create a technical platform (dashboard) for taking key decisions. My main role has been to diagnose issues in different aspects of Agriculture (Markets, credit, insurance, etc.), designed both tech & non-tech solutions & ensure implementation through the governement machinery. I have designed, conceptualized & spearheaded product development for 3 problem statements. Hence, I have had a product manager experience in addition to a seasoned consultant. I also got promoted from an associate (N-3 to a manager) to a Consultant (N-2 to a manager).

Extracurricular:
Back in College, I was actively involved in Student politics since my 1st year & later represented students as President, Students' Gymkhana (IIT Kanpur). I also was the Captain of the Institute's Table tennis team. I also graduated in Music (6-year course in Tabla) (this is before College)

I have not taken GMAT yet but am confident that I will get 700+ score

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Sloan '22
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.82
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2019, 06:07
Thanks arbybee for the correction in my understanding. My bad ! Would it be possible for experts to evaluate my profile and also suggest other suitable programs given my past experience and aspirational role (product management for govt. Service delivery and policy implementation) - I basically want to work in policy space and also design smart tech products for it's subsequent implementation. Policy can be both public and private). Thanks Himanshu

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2019, 23:52
Thanks in advance for the profile review! I'm targeting to apply this fall.

Background and nationality:
US Citizen, 29, M, SE Asian

Undergrad Information:
Top 10 Public School
Bachelors in Business

GMAT:
700 (Working towards 720)

Work experience and leadership:
- 4 years in a leadership program (finance/strategy/sales/operations) at top tech company (FANG); 3 promotions
- 1 year in corporate strategy at another top tech company (FANG) before switching divisions
- 1.5 year in business operations/analytics at a startup division within FANG; 1 promotion + managing direct reports

Community and others:
- Served on nonprofit board during first 4 years of my career
- Led company employee resource groups
- Startup ideas with buddies
- Captain of video game team for internal tournaments

Post MBA goals:
Entrepreneurship in SE Asia - MBA is to build out my network, leadership skill, and knowledge of other functions. Hoping to meet other like-minded individuals and seed funding!

Anything else?
First generation American hoping to use talents in tech to accelerate the growth in SE Asia with leadership skills gained from Sloan!
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2019, 06:43
Hi desu,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. Overall, you have a compelling case and a clear idea about what you want your post-MBA career to look like. I would spend some time thinking about how your previous experiences (whether professional or otherwise) have shaped you, and how you intend to use Sloan's resources to pave the ground for success in your career goals.

Academics: Can you share your undergraduate performance (GPA)? A stronger GMAT would definitely work in your favor, but be mindful of time. We don't recommend spending all your precious time between now and application deadline studying for the GMAT, and, as a result, submit a less-than-stellar application.

Professional Experience: Your strong professional experiences and multiple promotions will also serve you well. Whether your title reflects it or not, I recommend the language you use to showcase your accomplishments reflect your values, leadership experience, and innovative thinking - resume, essay, video statement, etc.

Community Engagement: The items you listed below are interesting. However, I am not sure of the timeline. Are you currently involved in any of the items on this list?

I welcome the opportunity to learn more about your profile and see how we can help you differentiate from other SE-Asian-American applicants. When ready, please reach out.

desu wrote:
Thanks in advance for the profile review! I'm targeting to apply this fall.

Background and nationality:
US Citizen, 29, M, SE Asian

Undergrad Information:
Top 10 Public School
Bachelors in Business

GMAT:
700 (Working towards 720)

Work experience and leadership:
- 4 years in a leadership program (finance/strategy/sales/operations) at top tech company (FANG); 3 promotions
- 1 year in corporate strategy at another top tech company (FANG) before switching divisions
- 1.5 year in business operations/analytics at a startup division within FANG; 1 promotion + managing direct reports

Community and others:
- Served on nonprofit board during first 4 years of my career
- Led company employee resource groups
- Startup ideas with buddies
- Captain of video game team for internal tournaments

Post MBA goals:
Entrepreneurship in SE Asia - MBA is to build out my network, leadership skill, and knowledge of other functions. Hoping to meet other like-minded individuals and seed funding!

Anything else?
First generation American hoping to use talents in tech to accelerate the growth in SE Asia with leadership skills gained from Sloan!

+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Intern
Intern
B
Sloan Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2019, 07:07
Hello,

Ethnicity:
Korean-American

Academics:
Top 10 U.S. University (not known for engineering)
Majored in Mechanical Engineering and Minored in Finance

GMAT:
740 (2nd attempt; thinking about retaking the GMAT again to achieve a score of 750+ due to my demographic)

Experience:
100% in the aerospace industry (internships)

Current Job:
Engineer at Fortune 100 Aerospace Engineering Firm

Intended Post-MBA Career:
Management consulting (MBB), using my experiences in the engineering industry (both small and large firms) to help clients with problems unique to the intersection of business and engineering.

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.85
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2019, 08:52
Would love to get your thoughts on my profile.

Background:
29, Male and Indian. Grew up in Thailand (primary to high school), completed my undergraduate degree in UK, and my graduate degree in USA.

I will be 30 years old when I start next year in Fall.

Academics:
730 GMAT

Undergraduate: Imperial College London
GPA Equivalent: 3.8/3.9+?? (First class Honors)
Major: Chemical Engineering

Graduate: Duke University
GPA: 3.9
Major: Masters in Statistical and Economic Modeling

Work Exp:
After Undergraduate Degree:
- ~2 years - Fortune 200 company as a Project Development Engineer. Basically leading engineering proposals and bid presentations for customers to build turn-key plants by working with a team of business development, project management and engineering resources. A good balance of technical and business focus. Quit to go get my graduate degree.

During Graduate Degree (focus was on using data for energy policy work):
- Worked for an international organization (think World Bank, UN etc.) as a research assistant to scope out the benefits to the South Asia region for free trade of electricity. Turned into a whitepaper.
- Work with a large US Goverment organization to build a series of tools to better benchmark energy efficiency of factories (similar to the energy star benchmark). Published a paper.
- Started a social enterprise to build portable solar power for street vendors in urban slums. Lead a team of 4 to raise capital through social enterprise competitions and build a prototype to test the idea.

After Graduate School:
- working as a Data Scientist, leading implementation of AI/Machine Learning solutions for clients
- 1.5 years - Work as a data scientist in a Big 4 consulting firm. Working on actual AI projects for major Fortune 500 clients.
- 1.5 years and continuing - Moved to the center of excellence of another Big 4 consulting firm. Joined as a senior and promoted to manager in 1 year.

Extra curriculars:
More during undergrad (leadership positions for social enterprise club and cultural club). Some since, but not in leadership positions.

Goal:
To build skills in other business areas (finance, and strategy especially). Short-term: Join the digital/analytics arm of MBBs. Long-term: be a principal/director of product management for an AI/analytics focused tech company (e.g. Google Cloud, Tableau, NVIDIA etc.).

Target Schools:
HSW, MIT Sloan, Kellogg, Chicago

Thanks! Please do let me know how realistic/unrealistic the goals are. I am also concerned about my age, and I will be retaking the GMAT.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2019, 02:26
Hi Experts,

I'd request you to give feedback on my profile.

Male, 26, Indian

Education
GMAT 750 (Q50 V41 IR7 AWA5)
Undergrad: Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology (N.S.I.T.) in Manufacturing Process and Automation Engineering (7.6 GPA)
12th: 79%
10th: 91%

Work Exp : 3 years currently
Started my career in 2016 with strongly growing US based Analytics and Consulting firm, worked as an Associate for 2.5 years in a variety of different projects in Analytics and Consulting. Awarded twice for best performance in a quarter and a best team award for best team in a year. Learned skills of data analytics and machine learning. Handled client calls regularly by myself. Instrumental in winning bids worth $2M for the firm. Got promoted once in first year. I was also the youngest trainer in the company for teaching new joiners (received best trainer rating, got recognition at company level)
Wanted a job where i could leverage the analytics skills with execution skills acquired in college (by working in Uber and Red Bull) and my keen interest in technology. Hence moved to Product Manager profile in one of the largest OTA (Online Travel Aggregator) in India. Have been working there for last 7 months.

Extra Curricular
Worked for Red Bull in my college days for 2.5 years as a Student Brand Manager (SBM). I learned consumer behavior, ground level sales and operations. Awarded best SBM for 3 consecutive quarters
Helped setup a similar Student Brand Manager program for UBER India. Helped set up a team of 50 Students in different college across Delhi
Head of Event Management in largest annual technical fest of my college
Did a startup for 6 months in college, couldn't take off though
Played badminton since school, played state level.
Played badminton in college and won multiple tournaments in college and one in Axtria

Social Work:
Part of core organizing CSR team for 2.5 years and organised events for underprivileged kids every weekend. Helped educating them.

Post MBA Goals
Post MBA I want to work as a Product Manager in a global tech giant like Amazon, Tesla, Google. That's the reason for pursuing MBA as well, to get a global platform and be where all the action is going on. In long term i want to open a tech firm of my own.

Also I feel i have a drawback in terms of international exposure. But i have traveled over 20 state in India and 6 countries abroad.

Other school I plan to apply in: Kellogg, Sloan, Booth, Berkeley, Columbia

I would really appreciate if you can give me any feedback.
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2019, 13:32
Hi urkdul,

I really like your profile, and think you have a really interesting and compelling story to get you admitted to your target institutions. A few notes on what you've shared:

Academic: You have great academics with an equally impressive GMAT score. You didn't share your Q/V breakdown, but I don't see the need to retake (unless your quant is really low). Instead, I would dedicate the time remaining to ensure you have given your application the best care as it relates to your story, goals, and ambitions. Equally important, you should have a clear idea about why you have chosen each program, and how will they (in their unique ways) help you in your career progression.

Professional: You have really strong work experiences and a clear idea about why you require an MBA degree. I recommend emphasizing your accomplishments and leadership experiences.

Community Engagement/ECs: If I were to pick a "weaker" area of your profile, it would be your extracurriculars. That said, I also understand that working in consulting doesn't necessarily leave much room/time for community engagement. I recommend you address this in an optional essay.

I would love to learn more about your profile and see how we can help you stand out in your application(s). When you are ready, please reach out.

Good luck!

urkdul wrote:
Would love to get your thoughts on my profile.

Background:
29, Male and Indian. Grew up in Thailand (primary to high school), completed my undergraduate degree in UK, and my graduate degree in USA.

I will be 30 years old when I start next year in Fall.

Academics:
730 GMAT

Undergraduate: Imperial College London
GPA Equivalent: 3.8/3.9+?? (First class Honors)
Major: Chemical Engineering

Graduate: Duke University
GPA: 3.9
Major: Masters in Statistical and Economic Modeling

Work Exp:
After Undergraduate Degree:
- ~2 years - Fortune 200 company as a Project Development Engineer. Basically leading engineering proposals and bid presentations for customers to build turn-key plants by working with a team of business development, project management and engineering resources. A good balance of technical and business focus. Quit to go get my graduate degree.

During Graduate Degree (focus was on using data for energy policy work):
- Worked for an international organization (think World Bank, UN etc.) as a research assistant to scope out the benefits to the South Asia region for free trade of electricity. Turned into a whitepaper.
- Work with a large US Goverment organization to build a series of tools to better benchmark energy efficiency of factories (similar to the energy star benchmark). Published a paper.
- Started a social enterprise to build portable solar power for street vendors in urban slums. Lead a team of 4 to raise capital through social enterprise competitions and build a prototype to test the idea.

After Graduate School:
- working as a Data Scientist, leading implementation of AI/Machine Learning solutions for clients
- 1.5 years - Work as a data scientist in a Big 4 consulting firm. Working on actual AI projects for major Fortune 500 clients.
- 1.5 years and continuing - Moved to the center of excellence of another Big 4 consulting firm. Joined as a senior and promoted to manager in 1 year.

Extra curriculars:
More during undergrad (leadership positions for social enterprise club and cultural club). Some since, but not in leadership positions.

Goal:
To build skills in other business areas (finance, and strategy especially). Short-term: Join the digital/analytics arm of MBBs. Long-term: be a principal/director of product management for an AI/analytics focused tech company (e.g. Google Cloud, Tableau, NVIDIA etc.).

Target Schools:
HSW, MIT Sloan, Kellogg, Chicago

Thanks! Please do let me know how realistic/unrealistic the goals are. I am also concerned about my age, and I will be retaking the GMAT.

+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2019, 03:36
Hi Experts!

I'd like to kindly request you for your feedback on my candidacy. Here goes.

Background:
Indian Male
Age 27
GMAT 720
Industry: Consulting (Front end consulting role in one of the largest HR Consulting organizations in the world, typically held by Tier-1 MBA professionals)

Education:
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from IIT Delhi (CGPA – 7.0)

Work Experience: Total 4+ years (in india)
Worked for over 2 years in a social sector consulting startup and 1 year in an election campaign strategy firm (a SuperPAC). Working in the strategic HR consulting for last 1 year.

Extra curriculars – Won international competitions and worked on two international projects in Europe. Worked as Coordinator in various campus festivals and a student association club.

Post MBA Goal – Work in MBB strategy consulting firms

Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2019, 13:27
Hi Akshit24,

Thank you for your post. Here are several thoughts:

SOLID EXPERIENCES

There is a lot to like about several elements of your profile. Your GMAT score and undergraduate institution are strong; your professional experience touches two valuable fields (analytics and consulting... valuable in terms of giving you a strong baseline skill set for an MBA and post-MBA jobs) and a third (product management) that is tied more directly to your goals; you've been promoted; and you seem to have expanded your impact (business / measurable / quantifiable impact) and learned and grown along the way.

UNPACK THE VALUE OF THOSE EXPERIENCES

Much of key to your applications will hinge on how exactly you unpack and articulate those experiences. In doing so, I'd like you to consider both the items I referenced above, as well as who you partnered with, how you collaborated, how you connected with people, when and how you ever stepped across cultural or functional lines, when and how you built relationships and helped others, when you might have stepped outside your comfort zone or even failed. I say this because your current write-up tends to feel a little more "me-centric" (I was the youngest... I received awards... I did things my by myself) than you will want to portray in any

As an aside, I'd be curious to know whether you had any international experience while working with the U.S. firm (or otherwise). Even if you didn't physically travel to international clients or the United States, working for an international firm often entails a great deal of cross-country and cross-cultural collaboration, which then opens the door for you to talk about how you bridged those gaps, connected with people, partnered, empathized, grew, stepped outside your comfort zone, etc. -- many of the items I referenced above.

MORE ON YOUR COMMUNITY LEADERSHIP

I am also curious to learn more about your post-college community leadership. You seem to have been pretty active during college, and there's probably even more relevance for you there (than for other candidates) in that your college experiences with UBER and Red Bull are still highly relevant to your goals. Nevertheless, post-college leadership is more recent and valuable, and being part of a core CSR organizing team typically entails a lot of work, a lot of collaboration, a lot of idea generation and multi-party execution, and a lot of events and impact.

If that experience really is substantive, than it should be a key pillar of your application narrative. Where exactly it shows up will, of course, depend on which schools / applications you're dealing with, as the number of essays, word counts of those essays, and essay topics vary greatly. Also consider what motivated you to pursue this particular angle of leadership and involvement, and how it might inform how you believe you can uniquely contribute at each MBA program to which you apply. Either way, it's definitely worth unpacking further.

CHALLENGES AND SCHOOLS

The challenges that you're up against are among the most common for candidates applying from your applicant pool, which, as I'm sure you're aware, is the most crowded and competitive out there. According to one GMAT Club study, Indian applicants with a 750 GMAT have around an 11% acceptance rate across the entirety of the U.S. top 20. That figure is naturally going to be even lower at M7 programs (probably more like 5%), and even lower still at smaller programs like Sloan and Haas. So even though I do think you could -- with *superb application execution* -- convert a school or two at this level, it's going to be hard. And that's okay, as a smart school strategy should test the upside of where you can get in. At the same time -- and particularly if you value "getting in" to a very good school (as opposed to only aiming very high and being okay with not getting in anywhere, dusting yourself off, and re-applying in a subsequent year) -- it would likely behoove you to include schools from the next tier or two in your strategy.

CHALLENGES AND GOALS

Also be aware that your career goals as stated above are more or less the "career goals du jour" among MBA applicants, particularly among your applicant pool, and particularly targeting companies mega-firms the ones you've listed. So I would encourage you to reflect deeply on those goals; if that truly in your heart of hearts is your post-MBA goal, that's fine, but you will have research, know, and articulate the deeper layers of those goals with tremendous specificity and nuance. Every year, tons of solid applicants are undermined by the fact that their essays make it sound like they simply pulled a common goal off of the MBA shelf and didn't put much thought or legwork into *why exactly* that's their goal, what exact companies they'd want to work for, products they'd want to manage, things they'd want to accomplish, etc. Also think more deeply about the companies; Amazon, Google, and Tesla are very different, and here again, it feels like you're just naming the biggest or most popular names. Which industries and sub-industries are you *really interested in and why*? Which products? What size or stage companies? What unique impact can you have in these positions? Why? Why? Why?

[Also note that the nature of product manager roles -- and the hiring / technical prerequisites -- vary greatly from firm to firm. No matter how you slice it, you need to talk to a lot of people, do a lot research and due diligence, and then showcase how thoughtful, nuanced, and specific your understanding and goals are within your essays and applications.]

WHY MBA? WHY XYZ SCHOOL?

As you develop the specificity of your goals, you will need to again consider and articulate how exactly your previous experience -- plus the MBA -- equals, leads to, or enables your super-specific short-term goals, and then how all of that combines to equal, lead to, or enable your super-specific medium- and long-term goals. What knowledge, skills, and experience do you already have that are relevant to these goals? What knowledge, skills, and experience are you missing and therefore need to acquire via an MBA? How *exactly* will you acquire this knowledge, skill, and experience at each MBA program to which you apply? Which courses, clubs, special programs, extracurriculars, conferences, or case competitions? What about each school's culture, community, and location make it right for you? Why do you fit with that culture, what unique contributions can you make to the class, and how exactly will you make them? What is the passion and purpose behind your goals, and what are the grander challenges you're hoping to solve? For more about how to think about these topics, you can check out this blog post: https://www.avantiprep.com/blog/the-mos ... on-process

[As an aside, since we are are in the MIT Sloan forum here, the importance of super-deep goal specificity is a little muted given Sloan's application and essay structure, but it's critical -- and central to main essays -- at most other schools, including the others you've listed below.)

FREE CONSULTATION

I hope this helps both you and anyone else reading it, as a lot of the takeaways can be applied to anyone going through a similar process. If you have any questions or would like to further the conversation, anyone can feel free to email me at greg@avantiprep.com or sign up for a Free Consultation via this link: https://www.avantiprep.com/free-consultation.html. Best of luck to everyone, and I hope we have the opportunity to chat!

Best Regards,
Greg

Akshit24 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I'd request you to give feedback on my profile.

Male, 26, Indian

Education
GMAT 750 (Q50 V41 IR7 AWA5)
Undergrad: Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology (N.S.I.T.) in Manufacturing Process and Automation Engineering (7.6 GPA)
12th: 79%
10th: 91%

Work Exp : 3 years currently
Started my career in 2016 with strongly growing US based Analytics and Consulting firm, worked as an Associate for 2.5 years in a variety of different projects in Analytics and Consulting. Awarded twice for best performance in a quarter and a best team award for best team in a year. Learned skills of data analytics and machine learning. Handled client calls regularly by myself. Instrumental in winning bids worth $2M for the firm. Got promoted once in first year. I was also the youngest trainer in the company for teaching new joiners (received best trainer rating, got recognition at company level)
Wanted a job where i could leverage the analytics skills with execution skills acquired in college (by working in Uber and Red Bull) and my keen interest in technology. Hence moved to Product Manager profile in one of the largest OTA (Online Travel Aggregator) in India. Have been working there for last 7 months.

Extra Curricular
Worked for Red Bull in my college days for 2.5 years as a Student Brand Manager (SBM). I learned consumer behavior, ground level sales and operations. Awarded best SBM for 3 consecutive quarters
Helped setup a similar Student Brand Manager program for UBER India. Helped set up a team of 50 Students in different college across Delhi
Head of Event Management in largest annual technical fest of my college
Did a startup for 6 months in college, couldn't take off though
Played badminton since school, played state level.
Played badminton in college and won multiple tournaments in college and one in Axtria

Social Work:
Part of core organizing CSR team for 2.5 years and organised events for underprivileged kids every weekend. Helped educating them.

Post MBA Goals
Post MBA I want to work as a Product Manager in a global tech giant like Amazon, Tesla, Google. That's the reason for pursuing MBA as well, to get a global platform and be where all the action is going on. In long term i want to open a tech firm of my own.

Also I feel i have a drawback in terms of international exposure. But i have traveled over 20 state in India and 6 countries abroad.

Other school I plan to apply in: Kellogg, Sloan, Booth, Berkeley, Columbia

I would really appreciate if you can give me any feedback.

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2019, 05:06
Hi Everyone,

I'd like some feedback as well on my chances/fit for MIT Sloan:

29, male, Chinese-American
GMAT - Taking in 2 weeks but I've been scoring 750-770 in practice tests
Undergrad 3.6 GPA overall from New York University:
BA in Math from NYU w/ some grad-level math coursework
BSc in Finance from NYU Stern

Work experience:
3 years at an investment bank doing equity research in NYC on a top-ranked team, covering energy stocks
4 years (and currently) at a hedge fund. Small team, small fund, but it used to be an external manager for a larger ($10B+) well-known hedge fund, also covering energy stocks

Goals:
While a hedge fund is typically seen as a post-MBA job, I've realized I want to pursue a career in renewable energy within a strategy/corporate development role. Having followed the industry for 7 years as an investor, renewable energy development seems to be becoming more and more mainstream, and I believe in the cause. I have the finance background (though not typical IBD->PE) and some industry knowledge having followed the energy sector as an investor, but I'd like to gain training in leadership, and use the MBA as a platform to transition towards more of a corporate role and eventually become a senior leader at a firm involved in renewable energy.

Extracurriculars:
I created a mentoring program at NYU's investment club pairing more experienced students w/ freshmen for mentoring/creating stock pitch presentations for the club's portfolio. I also personally mentored 3 club members during school. I also made presentations to kids at a local high school teaching them basic concepts in finance

Since graduating from undergrad, I've been less involved w/ extracurriculars. I recently started volunteering as an overnight volunteer at a homeless shelter but it's very recent

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2019, 13:13
Hi trying to get some evals for my profile:
1) Age: 30
2) GMAT: 650 (V32, Q47)
3) Country: Singapore, Undergrad: Top Business School in Singapore. Studied Quant Finance. GPA 3.0/4
4) WE: 4 years: Worked as an Algo trader in Tier 1 investment bank. Moved to mexico, where I worked in FinTech (raised 85 million USD, highest for Mexican FinTech till dec-2018) for 3 years. Currently working for a ride hailing company (from China) where I lead the payments team in Mexico and head all decision making for our launches. At the same time, working as a CFO for a startup to launch our own digital bank in Mexico
5) Extra curricular: spent 2 years in the Singapore army, where i was a lieutenant. Also, i'm a standup comedian, having performed in San Francisco, New York, LA and every major club in Mexico city. Fluent in 3 languages (English, Hindi and Spanish)
6) MBA goals: want to transition towards VC/growth equity to help Latam startups raise capital. Long term goals: move towards management at a unicorn startup

Planning to apply to M7. Every suggestion/comment is welcome. thank you!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Sloan Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2019, 13:13

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10    Next  [ 190 posts ] 

Sloan Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Businessconquerer