It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 01:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sloan Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Sloan Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 14:37
Background and nationality: US-born Indian

Undergrad Information: BS Chemical Engineering, GPA: 3.03

Graduate Information: MS Biomedical Engineering, JD Law

GMAT: 760 (Q48/V47/IR6/AWA6)

Work experience and leadership: 1.5 years engineering, 4 years patent attorney, 2 years chief innovation officer & general counsel of startup
Community and others: Event committee of alumni association and a non-profit. Founder and president of a student organization, treasurer of a couple of student organization, commissioner of basketball league.

Post MBA goals: Short term, join life sciences/healthcare technology group of consulting firm, leveraging experience in technology, healthcare, law and management to help healthcare technology companies bring innovative products to market. Long term, lead strategy at a large healthcare technology company to drive growth through innovation, acquisitions, and partnerships.

Anything else? 2-year research fellowship during undergrad, where I studied drug delivery systems. Masters thesis on minimally invasive treatments for low back pain. Interests including basketball, improv, rock climbing, and technology.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Sloan Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 13:32
It is better to take a profile evaluation from experts like Alumni of the college

Expert Post
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 76

Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 05:11
vb007 wrote:
Background and nationality: US-born Indian

Undergrad Information: BS Chemical Engineering, GPA: 3.03

Graduate Information: MS Biomedical Engineering, JD Law

GMAT: 760 (Q48/V47/IR6/AWA6) Balanced score here - nice all around

Work experience and leadership: 1.5 years engineering, 4 years patent attorney, 2 years chief innovation officer & general counsel of startup - as long as you can connect the dots, will be OK.

Community and others: Event committee of alumni association and a non-profit. Founder and president of a student organization, treasurer of a couple of student organization, commissioner of basketball league. - Great that you have this; will separate you from a lot of other people with your profile

Post MBA goals: Short term, join life sciences/healthcare technology group of consulting firm, leveraging experience in technology, healthcare, law and management to help healthcare technology companies bring innovative products to market. Long term, lead strategy at a large healthcare technology company to drive growth through innovation, acquisitions, and partnerships. - Goal is a good fit with the school - would obviously urge you to note interest in healthcare management certificate in cover letter. Or interest in biotech community there. Fit will help your chances a lot.

Anything else? 2-year research fellowship during undergrad, where I studied drug delivery systems. Masters thesis on minimally invasive treatments for low back pain. Interests including basketball, improv (cool!), rock climbing, and technology.

Very optimistic about your chances here!! Just make sure to demonstrate high EQ, versatility and well-roundedness and I already notice from the variety you have here. Do the application well (essays, recs, app boxes, resume) and I think you can pull this off.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Expert Post
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 05:14
AishPan wrote:
It is better to take a profile evaluation from experts like Alumni of the college

I would disagree with this statement. Alums often to not know why they got into a school and if so, could not apply the same input/strategy to your case.
However, they might be helpful in assessing how you would fit into the culture of the school, and what that culture is like. The qualitative factor.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.33

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 19:47
Background and nationality:
White American and dual Swiss citizen

Undergrad Information:
Top 5 Western Regional University - Computer Science and econ minor 3.33 gpa
https://premium.usnews.com/best-college ... ities-west

GMAT:
710 (Q47V40) considering a retake as I got V44 on the two prior practice tests but really don't want to

Work experience and leadership:
Senior Product Manager at top 10 tech company. 2 promotions and 2 years interning. Started as software dev and transitioned to PM.
Won multiple hackathons, have a pending patent. Work on a few matrixed teams with ~20 people total. Not the direct manager but responsible for what people work on. International work experience

Community and others:
Board observer then Board Member of Private foundation for the last 3 years. Elected for another 3 years. ~$200 million in assets. Member of investment committee
Working in high profile area

Post MBA goals:
Work at a smaller startup focused on growth. Might be a PM again but not set in stone. Want to expand my non-technical skills like marketing, pricing, strategy so I can have a bigger impact on the company.

Anything else?
Used to be ranked nationally for an action sport

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 83 [1], given: 5

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 09:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi ChuckChunder,
See below for my comments...
Best of luck!
Kate

ChuckChunder wrote:
Background and nationality:
White American and dual Swiss citizen Interesting, should help a little :-)

Undergrad Information:
Top 5 Western Regional University - Computer Science and econ minor 3.33 gpa
https://premium.usnews.com/best-college ... ities-west I like the technical and quant background. GPA is solid, and just slightly below Sloan's average (3.49)

GMAT:
710 (Q47V40) considering a retake as I got V44 on the two prior practice tests but really don't want to This is a high enough score to show you can manage a program like Sloan, but again it's just below their average (722). I would retake, do some focused/minimal studying and give it one more shot to see if you can get that verbal up. Many of our clients see score boosts when they retake, simply because they're more used to the exam format/setting.

Work experience and leadership:
Senior Product Manager at top 10 tech company. 2 promotions and 2 years interning. Started as software dev and transitioned to PM.
Won multiple hackathons, have a pending patent. Work on a few matrixed teams with ~20 people total. Not the direct manager but responsible for what people work on. International work experience Great experience! Making the switch from a dev role to PM is great. Plus the international experience and promotions.

Community and others:
Board observer then Board Member of Private foundation for the last 3 years. Elected for another 3 years. ~$200 million in assets. Member of investment committee
Working in high profile area Excellent! Great leadership and long tenure!

Post MBA goals:
Work at a smaller startup focused on growth. Might be a PM again but not set in stone. Want to expand my non-technical skills like marketing, pricing, strategy so I can have a bigger impact on the company. Totally makes sense why you need an MBA. Maybe an operations or strategy role would make sense too. I think your PM experience will be attractive, since many MBAs want to break into that.

Anything else?
Used to be ranked nationally for an action sport Intriguing. I think overall your profile is really strong. Given the strength of your work and community involvement, I don't think a GMAT retake is necessary, but it can't hurt, even just a slight boost to a 720 or 730 could really make a difference at the top schools on your list.

Kate Richardson
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 2

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.33

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 09:11
This post received
KUDOS
Thank you Kate!

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Premium Member CAT Tests
Sloan Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 21:46
Dear All,

I would appreciate if you could help me review my profile for the Sloan Fellows program.
Also, do you know any admission consultant having experience with the Sloan Fellows program to recommend?

Background and nationality: Female, Vietnamese & French, 32 yo.
Undergrad Information: Bachelor in Chemistry (GPA: B+) from Universite Pierre & Marie Curie (Paris), Master in Process Engineering (GPA: 3.58/4).
Executive Assessment Score: 153
Work experience and leadership: I will have 9 years of full time experience by next May 2018, with 3 years of experience in a manager role. However the program requests at least 10 years of experience. Do I still have my chance?
I started my career as a process engineer in France. Then I was detached for a year in the Netherlands.
During my sabbatical year in Japan, I worked as a maths & sciences highschool teacher in an International School and participate in a Business competition in which our team won the 2nd prize.
Now I am working in Singapore. Within my current organization, I led a commissioning team (all experienced male operators) to start up units in a greenfield manufacturing plant. I was the only female in the field (and one of the youngest).
I led the management team of my organization in setting up the quality management system (from nothing), and we're the only plant in the company worldwide that obtained 5 certifications within 12 months. This brings the business from commodities to a more specialty chemicals business (higher contribution margin)
I am also leading the Quality performance of the company. We have significantly reduced our customer complaint and reduced our non conformance rate from 14% to <1% within 2 years.

Community and others: I was one of the pioneer member of a major Vietnamese student association overseas. At 20 yo, I led the organization of the first forum of the association to help Vietnamese students who want to study abroad. There were 500 visitors, including representatives of the media and Embassies.
Currently, I am a donor & member of screening committee of a scholarship association.

Post MBA goals: my goal is to work in product management and corporate strategy in the Chemical Fields, and promote sustainable & responsible chemistry.

Thank you very much for reading my post. I look forward to reading from you.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 10:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi enbeevee,

Happy to help! See below for my comments.

Kate

enbeevee wrote:
Dear All,

I would appreciate if you could help me review my profile for the Sloan Fellows program.
Also, do you know any admission consultant having experience with the Sloan Fellows program to recommend? Our firm does. PM me if you want to find out more details on working with us.

Background and nationality: Female, Vietnamese & French, 32 yo. The program looks for diversity in cultural backgrounds too so this should help
Undergrad Information: Bachelor in Chemistry (GPA: B+) from Universite Pierre & Marie Curie (Paris), Master in Process Engineering (GPA: 3.58/4). Strong academic background, especially since both STEM fields
Executive Assessment Score: 153 Great! I've heard that most schools look for a 150+ score
Work experience and leadership: I will have 9 years of full time experience by next May 2018, with 3 years of experience in a manager role. However the program requests at least 10 years of experience. Do I still have my chance? I think you still have a chance, though I'm not certain how strict MIT is with that...my guess is that like other programs it's a guideline. I would ask the question directly to MIT. In fact, I checked and they have some online admissions chats coming up: http://mitsloan.mit.edu/fellows/admissi ... ns-events/
I started my career as a process engineer in France. Then I was detached for a year in the Netherlands.
During my sabbatical year in Japan, I worked as a maths & sciences highschool teacher in an International School and participate in a Business competition in which our team won the 2nd prize.
Now I am working in Singapore. Within my current organization, I led a commissioning team (all experienced male operators) to start up units in a greenfield manufacturing plant. I was the only female in the field (and one of the youngest). Impressive! The international experience is great, as is your perspective as a woman in manufacturing.
I led the management team of my organization in setting up the quality management system (from nothing), and we're the only plant in the company worldwide that obtained 5 certifications within 12 months. This brings the business from commodities to a more specialty chemicals business (higher contribution margin)
I am also leading the Quality performance of the company. We have significantly reduced our customer complaint and reduced our non conformance rate from 14% to <1% within 2 years. Also impressive. These are exactly the kinds of leadership and large scale impact that the program seeks.

Community and others: I was one of the pioneer member of a major Vietnamese student association overseas. At 20 yo, I led the organization of the first forum of the association to help Vietnamese students who want to study abroad. There were 500 visitors, including representatives of the media and Embassies. Great leadership example.
Currently, I am a donor & member of screening committee of a scholarship association.

Post MBA goals: my goal is to work in product management and corporate strategy in the Chemical Fields, and promote sustainable & responsible chemistry.

Thank you very much for reading my post. I look forward to reading from you.
I think overall your profile is really strong. You have an interesting perspective to contribute and impressive leadership accomplishments. I think if you can show that you are committed to taking the program seriously and developing professionally, and have clear reasons for why now is the right time for you, you should be in good shape. But again, I do think it's worth checking that 10 year requirement with MIT.

Kate Richardson
mbaMission

mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 17:01
Background and nationality: White male, U.S. citizen
Undergrad Information: Cornell ILR (3.79, honors)
GMAT: 730 (Q47, V44, IR 8, AWA 6)
Work experience and leadership: 3 years at top boutique investment bank (Evercore/Moelis), 3 years at new-ish private equity fund ($500mm latest fund). Led financial and operational turnaround of our largest portfolio company. Led distressed recapitalization of this portfolio company. Significant time spent working directly with portfolio companies to execute growth plans. Also the standard PE model building, document negotiation, presentation making. Recs from managing partner of fund and CEO of portfolio company whose turnaround/recap I led.
Community and others: Associate Board of local charity, secured sponsorships representing 25% of budget for annual fundraiser. Volunteer translator.
Post MBA goals: Transition to turnaround operations/turnaround operational investing (either private or public market).

Expert Post
B

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Sloan Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 13:18
Hi baraze!

You've got a really strong profile and I think you'll be competitive at Sloan. Your academic background is great (I know Cornell's ILR school is well-regarded), and your GMAT is excellent too! Sounds like your work experience is strong too -- you made a difficult switch from a boutique bank to PE and I like that direct experience you've had with portfolio companies, and I assume very senior level exposure given the nature of your work. Very clear goals too, and the community service is great to see, especially in a leadership role. So all in all, I see no concerns in your profile.

Focus on engaging with Sloan - talking to students/alums, visiting if you haven't already. In your application, use your cover letter to emphasize the leadership you've taken and impact you've had on turning around portfolio companies, and then take a more lighthearted approach to the intro video so they can get to know you as a person.

Best of luck!
Kate

baraze wrote:
Background and nationality: White male, U.S. citizen
Undergrad Information: Cornell ILR (3.79, honors)
GMAT: 730 (Q47, V44, IR 8, AWA 6)
Work experience and leadership: 3 years at top boutique investment bank (Evercore/Moelis), 3 years at new-ish private equity fund ($500mm latest fund). Led financial and operational turnaround of our largest portfolio company. Led distressed recapitalization of this portfolio company. Significant time spent working directly with portfolio companies to execute growth plans. Also the standard PE model building, document negotiation, presentation making. Recs from managing partner of fund and CEO of portfolio company whose turnaround/recap I led.
Community and others: Associate Board of local charity, secured sponsorships representing 25% of budget for annual fundraiser. Volunteer translator.
Post MBA goals: Transition to turnaround operations/turnaround operational investing (either private or public market).

Kate Richardson
mbaMission

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '20, ISB '19 (I)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: General Management (Other)

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 11:50
Hello all,

Hope everyone's doing well. I am writing to seek an evaluation of my profile and check its suitability to the Sloan Fellow program. I have given the details below.

GMAT Score: 760 (Q:50, V:47, IR:8, AWA:5)
Total Work Experience (in years): 10
Undergraduate Institution: BITS Pilani (India)

Work Experience:
I am an engineer-turned-entrepreneur with ten years’ of diverse experience in building internet-based businesses spanning across education, e-Commerce and the not-for-profit sectors. I began my career as a Software Developer at Satyam Computers, a publicly-listed technology firm where I managed a team of 4 to build the Agent management system for State Farm Insurance, a Fortune-500 company.
Over the past eight years, I have worked on three different start-ups, two of which were co-founded by me. In 2009, I launched an educational consulting firm that counselled students on various career avenues and trained them on job skills. I was responsible to handle 12-member team that conducted workshops in over 200 schools impacting 10000+ students and partnered with the local government to guide underprivileged children. Could not monetize the venture sufficiently and had to shut it down three years later.
I co-founded a food-tech start-up in 2012 that accepted orders for restaurants and delivered them at the customer’s doorstep. I built the company from the ground to successfully deliver over 400 orders a day and a GMV crossing $600,000. After bootstrapping the business for two years, I sold the company to the India-based technology vendor of Seamless.
I have been working for the past two years on an internet platform for the social sector that connects the various stakeholders such as NGOs, Donors, Volunteers and development professionals.

Post MBA:
I plan to transition to the Venture Capital/Private Equity sector and use my diverse entrepreneurial experience to identify and support disruptive new business ideas.

Thank You!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 20:17
Hi mk10071986,

Yes, I think you have a profile that's quite suitable for the Sloan Fellows program. The program is an executive level program but unlike many exec MBAs, has the benefit of being full-time and a truly immersive experience. The Sloan Fellows cohort is a carefully crafted, diverse group of leaders who are seeking intense professional growth. You meet the criteria of having 10 or more years experience, and I think they will really value your past leadership experience and perspective you can bring in starting your ventures. I think your interest in innovative technologies will be a strong fit with the program too. And your GMAT score is excellent.

Best of luck!
Kate

mk10071986 wrote:
Hello all,

Hope everyone's doing well. I am writing to seek an evaluation of my profile and check its suitability to the Sloan Fellow program. I have given the details below.

GMAT Score: 760 (Q:50, V:47, IR:8, AWA:5)
Total Work Experience (in years): 10
Undergraduate Institution: BITS Pilani (India)

Work Experience:
I am an engineer-turned-entrepreneur with ten years’ of diverse experience in building internet-based businesses spanning across education, e-Commerce and the not-for-profit sectors. I began my career as a Software Developer at Satyam Computers, a publicly-listed technology firm where I managed a team of 4 to build the Agent management system for State Farm Insurance, a Fortune-500 company.
Over the past eight years, I have worked on three different start-ups, two of which were co-founded by me. In 2009, I launched an educational consulting firm that counselled students on various career avenues and trained them on job skills. I was responsible to handle 12-member team that conducted workshops in over 200 schools impacting 10000+ students and partnered with the local government to guide underprivileged children. Could not monetize the venture sufficiently and had to shut it down three years later.
I co-founded a food-tech start-up in 2012 that accepted orders for restaurants and delivered them at the customer’s doorstep. I built the company from the ground to successfully deliver over 400 orders a day and a GMV crossing $600,000. After bootstrapping the business for two years, I sold the company to the India-based technology vendor of Seamless.
I have been working for the past two years on an internet platform for the social sector that connects the various stakeholders such as NGOs, Donors, Volunteers and development professionals.

Post MBA:
I plan to transition to the Venture Capital/Private Equity sector and use my diverse entrepreneurial experience to identify and support disruptive new business ideas.

Thank You!

Kate Richardson
mbaMission

Re: Sloan Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2017, 20:17

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 53 posts ] 

Sloan Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap