GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jan 2019, 21:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Round 3 vs Next Year: When Should You Apply?

January 16, 2019

January 16, 2019

10:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

Learn what distinguishes Round 3 from other rounds and how to assess your profile to decide when to apply to b-school in this live webinar! Wednesday, Jan 16th at 10AM PST / 1PM ET
  • 4 Tips for Interviews

January 18, 2019

January 18, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

4 tips that will help you prepare for MBA interviews

What are my chances? - Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: What are my chances? - Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 13:21
am applying to stanford in the next few months (R2). please let me know what you guys think!

Background and nationality: Singaporean Male, age 29 (will be 30 when I join the MBA)
Undergrad Information: Singapore Management University (majored in Quantitative Finance, GPA 3.0, my class only had 30 people out of the 2k+ that were in my school, so the average GPA was between 2.9-3.1)

GMAT: 650

Work experience and leadership (total 4 years now, will be 5 by the time i join):
1) worked as an algo-trader at a tier 1 investment bank in singapore
2) currently working at a mexican startup (in mexico), where i'm head of all securitizations and strategic planning. have raised USD 90 mm so far for the company (making us the most well funded startup in mexico). led one of the first asset purchase programs in Latin American history between an international bank and a start up. work constantly with top tier VCs for funding + day to day operations. only finance person in the company that programs

Community and others:
- spent 2 years in the singapore army (was a 1st lieutenant in the army). ran local and overseas missions, had a platoon of 50 men under me.
- am a semi-professional standup comedian. have performed in 3 different countries. have opened for several top comedians in mexico. one of the few to do standup in both spanish and english

Post MBA goals
- want to shift to consulting/IBD. relates closely with my current job of solving problems/helping w funding. with the MBA, I'd want to scale these responsibilities.

Anything else?
I'm trilingual. English, Hindi and Spanish all at professional working capacity/native fluency
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V40
What are my chances? - Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 08:28
Hi, Can someone please analyse my profile for Stanford. Im not too familiar with US schools' requirements and would like to know if I stand a chance on applying.
Thanks in advance!

Background and nationality: Pakistani Female, 29, grew up in the UK and KSA
Undergrad Information: Medical Doctor, from leading national university.
GMAT: 680 (Q42, V40, IR 8)
Work experience and leadership:
2 years in clinical training (fellowship) Pakistan
1 year in clinical training Saudia Arabia
1 year as a hospital administrator/ general manager of 20 bedded semi-urban hospital
2 years at Swiss MNC (working here currently), launched the first nationwide tele-medicine network in
Pakistan.
Manage a team of 12 doctors. The network provides medical services to over a million patients,
Went to Indonesia and Cambodia to launch markets there.

Have done an executive education course (Healthcare and Innovation) at INSEAD
I'm an Acumen Regional Fellow for Pakistan. Acumen is a leading impact investment fund.
I was previously a World Bank Fellow (a program focused on developing women in business)

Community and others:
Im founding member of an NGO that provides vocational training to illiterate low income women so they can become micro-entrepreneurs. We have trained over 200 women in remote areas.

Post MBA goals: Consulting for some time. Then industry job that merges insurance and healthcare
Anything else?
Speak 3 languages. Been living in about 5 countries.
Published articles in leading national journals
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 13:49
Do I stand a chance? Or is r/MBA right and I should stick with lower tier schools. I'm aware my GPA/academics and community experience will likely be my weakest points.

Background and nationality: Chinese American Male with 4 years of WE (5 by matriculation)

Undergrad Information:
- University of Washington
- Business/Accounting major with 3.4 GPA

GMAT:
- GRE: 167Q 163V ~730 equivalent
- Took GRE because I applied to another Master's program (was accepted), but ended up dropping program for current role.

Work experience and leadership:
- 1 year KPMG Advisory
- 3 years managing compliance program at late-stage startup that IPOed 2 years after joining. Experience working on S-1 Filing/IPO and 1 promotion
- 5 months (current) program manager at Google

Community and others:
- Founded a business fraternity chapter in undergrad, serving as president and treasurer
- Currently mentoring 3 undergraduate students in said business fraternity
- Multiple case competition wins at national/international level in undergrad, invited to judge/coach quarterly
- Monthly speaker/panelist for business clubs at San Jose State and Berkeley

Post MBA goals:
- Break out of back-end role and into product. I want a holistic view of a company and am currently missing an understanding of how a product is created and brought to market

Anything else?
- As mentioned earlier, was accepted into a graduate program but ditched it to move for my current role
- Prior to moving, had accepted a Product Management internship with my previous company and was prepared to transition into PM after completing school
- Have CISA certification
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2018, 14:26
Hi Everyone,
Below is my profile to date. I am presently scheduled to take the GMAT again on 12/10 (so a bit of time to improve my score)

Undergrad: Double major/double minor (History of Math & Science, Western Philosophy/Classics & Comparative Lit)
Small but well regarded Liberal Arts school
Grad Masters in Teaching (Regional college)
GPA: 3.7 for both
Work: 9 years work experience, with clear progression in scope. Accepted into Teach for America, taught middle and high school. Joined non-profit/research project at top US university in coordination with large public school district to identify risks and solve them real time for students. Started LLC and provided consulting services. Recently joined another ed non-profit org. Have had several promotions and managed a team of 4.
Goal: Long term to transition into corporate philanthropy, specifically a program like the GE Foundation or BMO Harris (as both have strong education connections). Short-term is to consult (Deloitte, etc.) to gain corporate experience.
Extracurriculars: Member of several community groups (neighborhood preservation group, committee on niche education issue, direct support for community center), active in education lobby organization, have run (both successfully and unsuccessfully) for local office, run half-marathons
GMAT: In the prep process. Current highest score is a 680 with a goal of 720.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2018, 03:24
Background and nationality: I am an Indian female Product Manager with 3.5 years of work ex (4+ at the time of admission)
Undergrad Information: Engineering Graduate from Delhi Technological University, India in Polymer Science and Chemical Technology. 71.96%
GMAT: 720 (verbal: 35, Quant: 51)
Work experience and leadership: Product Manager at Rakuten in Tokyo since August 2018. Product Manager and similar roles at startups for past 3 years in Bangalore, India.
Community and others: Top Google Local Guide in the world.
Post MBA goals: Have my own technology startup in India. Want to build network at Stanford.
Intern
Intern
Any chance w/ a 650? Good ECs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 11:27
Hi everyone, wanted to get feedback on my chances, to see if there is any value in applying this round. Would it hurt my app for next year to apply this round?

I balanced studying and my app this past month, and ended with a 650 GMAT yesterday (35V/44Q). I definitely think I can raise this to ~710-750 given 2 more months of studying, my practice tests ranged from 610 at the start to 670/680/720, with 3 weeks of studying.

I'm going to have great Recommendations and a solid essay, so would there be any chance with my below stats for this round? I'm currently planning on R1 next year, but wanted some feedback so see if there was even a chance this round.

Other stats:
Engineering major, Biology minor in undergrad Top 15 US - 3.33 GPA, upward trend
Master's in Biomedical Engineering Top 15 US - 3.90 GPA
-3 year president of sports club of ~100 members
-RA for 2 years
-Invented medical device, won competitions and funding (funding < $100K), did not make it to market
-First student in new master's program, formed curriculum and took a few business classes.

Work experience: 3 years at leading healthcare tech company - consultant/project manager. Invented software to save lives based on past experiences.

Would appreciate any advice, thank you in advance! I'm going to begin ramping up studying in another week or two to get 700+ for next year's R1 cycle...
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75
Any chance w/ a 650? Good ECs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 13:27
If you're not a female and/or a URM I'd say your odds are close to zero given your low GMAT and low GPA. I'd aim for 730+ but even then I think it will be extremely tough. I think non H/S M7 is doable if you get the GMAT up significantly.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Any chance w/ a 650? Good ECs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 14:13
Hi,

What programs are you considering applying to? This will be important in determining if you have a chance or not.

I would say that if 650 is within the mid 80% range of the program you are applying for then go for it this round! The GMAT is only one aspect of the application. Your other stats look good and if you can craft a few really good Essays you would have a decent chance. I don't think it could hurt you trying.

The only thing is you probably wont get any $$$ in terms of a scholarship. If you applied next year with a 700+ it could save you maybe around 30k in fees.
Director
Director
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 14:31
Hi Tennis4lyfe,
It would be better if you take a look to Stanford Class Profile.
Here you go for class profile.
Thnaks__

https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all- ... 66740.html

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.33
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 16:35
Given your stats, I think you would be a much stronger candidate applying with 700+ vs 650. However, dont underestimate the effort that goes into breaking the 700 barrier. It took me months of studying to go from 650 to 700+. GSB does not disclose the middle 80% gmat but estimation is from 700-750.

Good luck joining to 700 club.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 19:02
Thanks everyone, yup, I'm a non-URM US male. Will hunker down to try and improve my GMAT, won't give it a shot on a hope and a prayer this next week lol.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 19:11
Mirren1 wrote:
Hi,

What programs are you considering applying to? This will be important in determining if you have a chance or not.

I would say that if 650 is within the mid 80% range of the program you are applying for then go for it this round! The GMAT is only one aspect of the application. Your other stats look good and if you can craft a few really good Essays you would have a decent chance. I don't think it could hurt you trying.

The only thing is you probably wont get any $$$ in terms of a scholarship. If you applied next year with a 700+ it could save you maybe around 30k in fees.

Thanks! That's super helpful. I really think I can hit 700+ with another month or two, so I'll do that.

My dream would be GSB, but others I would hope to have a shot at would be HBS, Wharton, Kellogg, and Duke. I'm looking to stay focused in the healthcare/tech and potentially entrepreneurial space. I have a strong essay on why healthcare/my profile.
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 00:45
Hi All,
Would appreciate a profile evaluation. Targeting R1 next year.

Background and nationality: Indian Female

Undergrad Information: B.Tech - ECE. Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University(MSIT). CGPA: 9.0(one of the toppers of my stream)
10th : CGPA 10 (95%)
12th : CGPA 9.3 (88%)

GMAT: 760

Work experience and leadership : 4.5 years at present in a techno-functional role. Working as a Senior Software Engineer in Infosys Ltd serving domestic and international banks. Have worked with private, public sector and international banks, all at client site. Currently heading all clients in Africa and Sri Lanka region (about 2 years of international work ex). Regarded as a domain expert and have worked as a team lead in multiple project implementations.

Awards: Top Performer in the Entry Level Training, Most Promising Joinee Award, Listed as Infosys Pride Factor, Awarded by multiple clients for contribution to the project.
Was the head of Self-Governance Team in Infosys for a year.

Community and others : Associated with Leaders for Tomorrow and part of their project – Igniting Young Minds to provide life skills to the disadvantaged; Member of Help Age India in higher secondary for care of disadvantaged elderly.
Recently Joined Toastmasters. Awarded as Best Table Topic Speaker in the guest meeting. Event Head of Technical Fest in college ensuring a footfall of more than 2500 people in the event. Member of the organization committee of Infosys Finacle Fever’15.

Post MBA goals: Consulting.

Thank you for your help.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V56
GPA: 3.41

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 13:24
aroraishita02 wrote:

Working as a Senior Software Engineer in Infosys Ltd

Community and others : Associated with Leaders for Tomorrow and part of their project – Igniting Young Minds to provide life skills to the disadvantaged; Member of Help Age India in higher secondary for care of disadvantaged elderly.
Recently Joined Toastmasters. Awarded as Best Table Topic Speaker in the guest meeting. Event Head of Technical Fest in college ensuring a footfall of more than 2500 people in the event. Member of the organization committee of Infosys Finacle Fever’15.

I noticed two weak points in your profile, so you might want to spend next year fixing those.

First, you are part of an overrepresented minority. Indian + Infosys is way too common in bay area, so do something to stand out.

Second, all your community activity is fluff because you are a participant in most of the groups, not a founder or leader. Try to lead a group within next year and it will certainly help your profile.
GMAT Club Bot
What are my chances? - Profile Evaluation &nbs [#permalink] 16 Jan 2019, 13:24

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 74 posts ] 

What are my chances? - Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: MV23, mvictor, zipzapzoom

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap