Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Send PM
Re: Ask Alex @ MBA Apply [#permalink]
HImba88 wrote:
Thank you for the advice Alex. I do realize that I need to a lot more research regarding which degree is the best route to take for me personally. I appreciate the ranges you provided for MBA programs. Since my experience is off of the beaten path, I have a hard time trying to judge the competitiveness of my profile.

I like the bit about visiting schools. It is definitely something that I will look into and save up for (I live on a rock in the middle of the Pacific Ocean) when I need a quick vacation.

Anyway, thanks again for the tips. It definitely has given me a lot to think about.

... and yet there are folks hoping that an MBA and a bit of luck will lead them to retire on the very rock in the middle of the Pacific Ocean that you're trying to get out of. :)
Send PM
mr7183 wrote:
Hi Alex... I appreciate your input in advance.

White male, will be 28 upon matriculation
GPA: 3.6, top-ish liberal arts school (Lehigh, Lafayette, Colgate)
GMAT: I've been testing at a 750, so let's assume that.
Work Experience: 1.5 years at regional boutique IB. Took a few months off between jobs to figure out next steps and spent the last 3 years in Corp. Dev. group at an S&P500, active industrial acquirer (think Danaher, Roper, etc.)

MBA Goal: I'd like to transition into general management; I don't have an engineering background so that prevents me from doing so at my current company. I'd like to move into sports or consumer products.
Targets: Sloan (really interested in the Sports Analytics Conference), Tuck, Kellogg, Darden, trying to identify others...

Sounds like you're in range for the schools you're targeting: focus on 2-3 top 8 schools (Sloan, Tuck, Kellogg), and 2-3 top 16 schools (Darden, Duke, Ross are all solid schools for consumer products and sports, especially given that Duke and Ross have very strong NCAA programs). On the west coast, look at UCLA and Stanford (for some reason, they like white males with monster GMATs who are looking to for the path less taken i.e. sports, nonprofit, marketing, etc).
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Hi Alex,

Please find my profile in brief.

Target: Finance.

- B Tech IIT (GPA 7/10)
- 6.5 years at Big 4 Advisory in Technology Consulting (Worked mostly in In House Systems and Domestic Consulting). Currently in Assistant Manger role.
- GMAT 710(Q50 V35), TOEFL 111.
- Age 30
- Passed CFA Level 1.
- Extra- curricular: Average

Have applied this year and have interview scheduled from schools in Top 20-40 range.

Assuming I get into any of these schools, would it make sense to re-write GMAT and get 750-770 range and apply coming Fall to schools in Top 15 namely: Columbia, Booth, NY Stern ?

As per my understanding for international applicants looking for a career change schools outside Top 10 are essentially the same.
Finance is practically impossible and Consulting is somewhat similar.
For example, would have similar career outcomes from UCLA, Cornell, Emory , Fisher.
All place students in Deloitte Consulting, Amazon etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Alex,

How important is the interview at a school like Kellogg? I put in a strong app and most of my stats fall within the 80% range. However, I did badly on the video interview. I opted to interview on campus to make up for this, and it didn't go well either. It was my first MBA interview and my preparation didn't shine. I could feel the adcom that I met with already cross me off the list when the interview ended. I don't have my hopes up, but I'm wondering what questions they try to gather during the interview and whether other parts of an app can showcase these.
Send PM
DimensionalF wrote:
Alex,

How important is the interview at a school like Kellogg? I put in a strong app and most of my stats fall within the 80% range. However, I did badly on the video interview. I opted to interview on campus to make up for this, and it didn't go well either. It was my first MBA interview and my preparation didn't shine. I could feel the adcom that I met with already cross me off the list when the interview ended. I don't have my hopes up, but I'm wondering what questions they try to gather during the interview and whether other parts of an app can showcase these.

The interview isn't a make-or-break where it determines whether you get in or not, but it is an important part in an adcoms' decision making (other than HBS, where the interview is pretty much a make-or-break). With Kellogg, it's all about figuring out whether you'll fit into their school culture. It's a very social place that puts an even bigger premium on teamwork (and every b-school does, but Kellogg even more so), and they really look for folks who have strong social skills. They want to know that you can have an engaging conversation with someone, that you are a capable presenter who can respond and communicate in the moment (hence the video interview), and so forth.

Your interview is done, so there's no point in trying to figure out what you could have done or should have done. With the written app, it's again focusing on convincing the adcom that you'll be a great fit for the culture of the school. Good luck
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Hi Alex

Im Divya and was really hoping that you would be able to provide some insight with my profile.

Age-21
10th-aggregate 85%
12th-aggregate 89% with 95 in maths and 88 in English.
Im in final year doing B.com (Hons) and going to pass out of University of Delhi this may.
No work experience.
co-curricular activities
SCHOOL LEVEL
-Performed at the commonwealth games opening ceremony on 3rd Oct 2010.
-Performed kuchipudi and got an award from Union state minister and the minister for cultural, govt of Andhra Pradesh.
-Won many certificates for the projects done during school time.
-Managed all cultural events at school level.
COLLEGE LEVEL
-Gave a presentation on the topic E-Commerce and got appreciation from all.
-Summern internship at PHILIPS COMPANY under makerting department.
-Did a research and project work on the topic Online Shopping Vs Traditional shopping.
-Was in the organizing committee of cultural events held in college.
- Participated in public speaking in Model United Nations 2012 at ITM as the delegate of Germany.

I was planning to apply for MBA in marketing but because of no work experience i can't apply for MBA so im in a big confusion whether to go for masters or work for some years and then apply. I will give GMAT at the end of june this year.

Target School - Harvard 2+2, Yale silver scholars, LSE for masters, LBS

Can you please let me know if my target schools are realistic ? Any advice as to whether I should work first or I can apply and should I be aiming for different schools would be useful.

Thank You.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Yale '17
Send PM
Ask Alex MBA Apply [#permalink]

Originally posted by monatl89 on 03 May 2014, 07:21.
Last edited by monatl89 on 30 Jul 2015, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
monatl89 wrote:
Hi Alex, would you be able to give me a profile evaluation, thanks in advance for your time.

Ethnicity: Asian American Male
GMAT: 740 (Q 49 V42)
Undergraduate: Cornell Chem Eng, Cum GPA: 3.02, Major GPA: 3.34

WE:
1 yr – Top 2 US Chemical Company – Production Engineer / Site Project Lead for Work Process/Alignment Goal
2 yr – Top 10 European Chemical Company – Production/Process Engineer (working in U.S.)

EC:
6 mo: American Red Cross – Disaster Service Finance Volunteer
6 mo: Boys and Girls Club – Grant writer
6 mo: Investment Club – Stock Study Group
Running

Post MBA Goal: Transition from Engineering to pursue career in Investment Banking

Stretch: Upenn, MIT
Target: Yale, Columbia, Cornell, Darmouth

Thank you!

In short, basically the top 8 schools are stretches but where you have enough of a shot that they're worth applying to 2-3 of them. Top 16 schools are sweet spots where you have a reasonable shot. The one thing to bear in mind is that engineers at b-school typically have around 4-6 years of pre-MBA experience at time of matriculation, so you're on the younger side (but if I read it right, it looks like you'll have 4 years by Sept 2015).

Only thing is to change up your school choices a little if you're looking to go into investment banking. Focus on Wharton, Booth, Columbia as your stretches, and then Stern, Yale and Cornell as your sweet spots.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Yale '17
Send PM
Ask Alex MBA Apply [#permalink]

Originally posted by monatl89 on 05 May 2014, 17:47.
Last edited by monatl89 on 30 Jul 2015, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.25
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Hi Alex,

GMAT 700 (49Q/36V)..studying for a retake

Education:
Academy Grad (2007)- 3.25/Systems Engineering
-GPA steadily increased over time-under 2.5 first semester (I've heard that helps -- is that true?)
-Big Brother Big Sister and Special Olympics

UTEP Masters (2011)-4.0/Leadership (tried to nullify my low undergrad GPA)

Career (Air Defense Officer):
1st assignment:
Lived in Germany for three years where I had a couple of different
leadership positions (lead 35+ Soldiers for a year and second in command of 140+ Soldiers for a year. Also responsible for 40+ million dollars worth of equipment)
3rd year- Lead officer for establishing the US's joint missile defense program with Poland
2nd assignment:
Worked as an instructor at the University of Alabama ROTC for a year
(compassionate reassignment-father was in the hospital for an extended period of time)
Currently working in DC for 6 months where I have 40 employees, both military and civilian, working on my team.

Why I'm applying with 8 years time in service (I've heard 6+ years military service is frowned upon)- signed up for a Grad School option upon graduation from West Point that extends one's commitment to 8 years. At the time I planned on staying in the Army, but my Dad's illness shaped 2+ years of my Army career and honestly put me behind my peers in regards to key jobs for promotion (not planning on explaining this too much, but that's the reason why I'm an older applicant)

Post MBA: Aerospace and Defense consultant with Bain (I honestly don't know what field I want to go into exactly, but given my background, it allows me to tell an interesting story)

Other/Hobbies:
Volunteer- Awarded the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal for starting a volunteer group that contributed to various community events in the area.
Travel/Adventure- Been to 30 countries, Running of the Bulls, River rafting down the Grand Canyon, etc.
Fitness- Completed 110 mile bike race, etc.

Target Schools: HBS, Wharton (stretch)
Kellogg, MIT, Tuck (zone)
Fuqua (safe)
chances at each school?
Send PM
usmabama wrote:
Hi Alex,

Education:
-GPA steadily increased over time-under 2.5 first semester (I've heard that helps -- is that true?)

1st assignment:
leadership positions (lead 35+ Soldiers for a year and second in command of 140+ Soldiers for a year. Also responsible for 40+ million dollars worth of equipment)
3rd year- Lead officer for establishing the US's joint missile defense program with Poland
2nd assignment:
(compassionate reassignment-father was in the hospital for an extended period of time)
Currently working in DC for 6 months where I have 40 employees, both military and civilian, working on my team.

Why I'm applying with 8 years time in service (I've heard 6+ years military service is frowned upon)- signed up for a Grad School option upon graduation from West Point that extends one's commitment to 8 years. At the time I planned on staying in the Army, but my Dad's illness shaped 2+ years of my Army career and honestly put me behind my peers in regards to key jobs for promotion (not planning on explaining this too much, but that's the reason why I'm an older applicant)

Post MBA: Aerospace and Defense consultant with Bain (I honestly don't know what field I want to go into exactly, but given my background, it allows me to tell an interesting story)

Other/Hobbies:
Volunteer- Awarded the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal for starting a volunteer group that contributed to various community events in the area.
Travel/Adventure- Been to 30 countries, Running of the Bulls, River rafting down the Grand Canyon, etc.

Fuqua (safe)
chances at each school?

In short, I think you have a pretty good handle on where you stand, and you're looking at the right range of schools for your profile. Maybe add Darden as a safety school (or in place of Fuqua), as Darden is one of the more military friendly schools out there.

Key thing to emphasize in your case is your experience working with both military and civilians in your team (i.e. you thrive working in diverse environments blah blah blah). Adcoms value the kind of leadership experiences military officers like yourself can bring to the table that civilian applicants cannot. However, the one thing you want to highlight are the kinds of leadership experiences you believe are applicable or adaptable to a purely civilian/business context (as you are planning on transitioning out of the military and into a business career). The one big asset you have is that you seem to have is a wide array of experiences having lived in different parts of the world and having worked/led different kinds of group situations.

GPA: you're doing all you can. It's not really going to be an issue, and yes an upward trend in undergrad helps.

GMAT: what you have now is actually fine, but if you can score a 720+ that would be ideal.

Years of service: I don't think this will be an issue. Traditionally, military folks tend to be on the older side compared to other applicants, so whether you're 2 years older compared to other military folks isn't really going to be as big a deal compared to bankers, consultants, engineers, etc. Again you have a totally reasonable explanation for why you went beyond your six year commitment (and as an aside, while there aren't as many applicants from the Air Force compared to Army, Navy, or Marines -- the Air Force folks in b-school tend to be even older given their eight year commitment). Again, it comes down to your leadership experience, and how you intend to draw upon that experience in your future career as a mgmt consultant (or whatever it is you intend to do in business should you change your mind).

Good luck
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
usmabama wrote:
Hi Alex,

Education:

1st assignment:
2nd assignment:

Other/Hobbies:

Fuqua (safe)
chances at each school?

Hi although I am not Alex (yet) I would suggest you to take a look on MIT LGO programm. This is a dual degree programm and they have a MBA/MS in Aeronautics and Astronautics specialisation. https://lgo.mit.edu/ms-aeronautics-astro ... ering-mba/
This program fits your esperience very well and they offer sizable scolarships.
From the website "Tuition Fellowships for the Class of 2016 For the Class of 2016, fellowships are $70,000 for students in Aeronautics and Astronautics, "
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
WE:Other (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Hey Alex,

In several of your posts, you mention how Asians/Asian-Americans in various professions such as engineering and finance are disadvantaged when it comes to b-school apps. Is this true for all Asians/Asian-Americans in general? Or is this only in regards to those within specific career fields? For example, I would think a Chinese-American serving as a US military officer in Iraq or an Indian working as a Peace Corps supervisor in Central America are somewhat rare ethnic-professional combinations. What bearing do applicants like these have on adcoms? Or are all Asians/Asian-Americans lumped into one pile?

Would appreciate your insight on this. Thanks.
Send PM
cowabungaman7 wrote:
Hey Alex,

In several of your posts, you mention how Asians/Asian-Americans in various professions such as engineering and finance are disadvantaged when it comes to b-school apps. Is this true for all Asians/Asian-Americans in general? Or is this only in regards to those within specific career fields? For example, I would think a Chinese-American serving as a US military officer in Iraq or an Indian working as a Peace Corps supervisor in Central America are somewhat rare ethnic-professional combinations. What bearing do applicants like these have on adcoms? Or are all Asians/Asian-Americans lumped into one pile?

You're right - it's not ethnicity (or nationality) in isolation, but in conjunction with occupation (i.e. Indian engineer, Asian/Asian-American banker, white consultant, etc). It just happens that folks from certain cultural backgrounds tend to be overrepresented in certain industries (or at least those who are applying to b-school). Some of this is cultural, like Indians where traditionally the only means for social/economic mobility in their highly stratified society/economy was engineering (and what you'll find is that the Indians who were born/raised in the US are actually more diverse in their career choices compared to Indian nationals - i.e. it's not so heavily weighted towards engineering).

And there's an odd thing within the b-school application world where so many Asian/Asian-Americans come from finance backgrounds. Or white Americans in management consulting. For some reason, this particular subset tends to apply to b-school (and you'll find fewer say Asian/Asian-American engineers applying, or white Americans outside of consulting/finance; for example, there's plenty of white Americans who graduated from MIT/CalTech/Stanford engineering, but you don't see as many of these folks in the applicant pool compared to the armies of mgmt consultants).

In many respects, the schools have been trying to expand their applicant pool, especially with American STEM (science/tech/engineering/math) professionals (there's no shortage of Indian engineers, but they've had trouble attracting American STEM folks to apply to b-school in the same numbers like the armies of finance and consulting folks).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
WE:Other (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
AlexMBAApply wrote:
cowabungaman7 wrote:
Hey Alex,

You're right - it's not ethnicity (or nationality) in isolation, but in conjunction with occupation (i.e. Indian engineer, Asian/Asian-American banker, white consultant, etc). It just happens that folks from certain cultural backgrounds tend to be overrepresented in certain industries (or at least those who are applying to b-school). Some of this is cultural, like Indians where traditionally the only means for social/economic mobility in their highly stratified society/economy was engineering (and what you'll find is that the Indians who were born/raised in the US are actually more diverse in their career choices compared to Indian nationals - i.e. it's not so heavily weighted towards engineering).

And there's an odd thing within the b-school application world where so many Asian/Asian-Americans come from finance backgrounds. Or white Americans in management consulting. For some reason, this particular subset tends to apply to b-school (and you'll find fewer say Asian/Asian-American engineers applying, or white Americans outside of consulting/finance; for example, there's plenty of white Americans who graduated from MIT/CalTech/Stanford engineering, but you don't see as many of these folks in the applicant pool compared to the armies of mgmt consultants).

In many respects, the schools have been trying to expand their applicant pool, especially with American STEM (science/tech/engineering/math) professionals (there's no shortage of Indian engineers, but they've had trouble attracting American STEM folks to apply to b-school in the same numbers like the armies of finance and consulting folks).

Got ya. Glad to know adcoms don't try to compare apples to oranges. Appreciate your response, man.
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [1]
Send PM