Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: International Business, Economics
Schools: YLP '20 (A$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.88
WE:Project Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: What is the approx. probability that at least two of the first five pe [#permalink]
If every person picked up has a different start sign :

then 5 people could be picked up with probability : 12*11*10*9*8/12*12*12*12*12 { after picking one start sign your pool of star signs reduces by 1).
= 0.38

Now if all people do not have different star signs then at least 2 of them must have same star sign.
Thus probability that at least 2 people have same star signs = 1 - (probability that all have different star signs)
= 1-0.38 = 0.62

Option C
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: What is the approx. probability that at least two of the first five pe [#permalink]
arronjam wrote:
learnwithrohan wrote:
Total Probability - No one born under the same sign
1 - none born
1- (12/12) *(11/12)*(10/12)*(9/12)*(8/12)
1- 0.38

Hi can you comment on the solution that i provided though that solution does not give the correct answer?

Hey in the first STEP
SSDDD it is actually SSDEF , what I mean is all the other signs are different hence you can not take all of them as D
therefore , when you multiply by the final permutation is should be 5!/2! [as two SS are same ]
similiarly in second step it is 5!/3! only

Hope it helps :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
learnwithrohan wrote:
arronjam wrote:
learnwithrohan wrote:
Total Probability - No one born under the same sign
1 - none born
1- (12/12) *(11/12)*(10/12)*(9/12)*(8/12)
1- 0.38

Hi can you comment on the solution that i provided though that solution does not give the correct answer?

Hey in the first STEP
SSDDD it is actually SSDEF , what I mean is all the other signs are different hence you can not take all of them as D
therefore , when you multiply by the final permutation is should be 5!/2! [as two SS are same ]
similiarly in second step it is 5!/3! only

Hope it helps :)

I think when we multiply by 5! we are double counting the permutations so it must be 5/3!2! 3 for removing the double counting and 2 for the same star signs SS?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Bunuel

Can you help me get what is wrong in the following solution?

Hi All

Can someone help me with the following question?

I can solve it with the 1-complement approach but i want to solve for individual cases and add them up.
Case 1. Two people born under the same star.

SSDDD S stands for the same star sign and D for a different star sign.

12/12* 1/12* 11/12* 10/12* 9/12 * 5!/3!*2! =9900/12^4
5 stars can be arranged in 5! ways. we need to dived by 3! because the arrangement of three stars has already been counted and divide by 2 to remove the two same star signs eg AA. Is the reasoning correct here?

Similarly Other cases
SSSDD
12/12 *1/12* 1/12*11/12 * 10/12 * 5!/3!*2! = 1100/12^4
SSSSD
12/12 *1/12* 1/12* 1/12 * 11/12 * 5!/4! = 55/12^4
SSSSS
12/12 *1/12* 1/12* 1/12 * 1/12 = 1/12^4

Adding up all these 4 cases yields 11056/12^4 = 0.53 but that is not the correct answer. Please help me get the mistake. Thank you
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@aaronjam
hey Sorry, I misread what you had done.
So far you are absolutely correct, but you are missing out on two conditions
Case 1(when two people are born under the same sign and the remaining three people are also born under the same sign, but different from the first sign i.e Jan Jan Feb Feb Feb)

Case 2 (when two people are born under the same sign, two out of the remaining three are born under the same sign, but different from the first sign, and the last is born under a different sign from these four i.e Jan Jan Feb Feb Mar)

Once you add these two cases you will get the correct solution.
Hope this helps :)

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Problem Solving (PS) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts