GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 05:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N? (1)

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

DS Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 22 Aug 2013
Posts: 1348
Location: India
Premium Member
What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N? (1)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Aug 2018, 18:58
2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

32% (01:18) correct 68% (01:12) wrong based on 57 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N?

(1) N is divisible by 100 but not by 1000.

(2) N is the product of 100 and an even integer.

Originally posted by amanvermagmat on 05 Aug 2018, 05:20.
Last edited by amanvermagmat on 10 Aug 2018, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the second statement to resolve confusion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 29 Dec 2017
Posts: 390
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Re: What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N? (1)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Aug 2018, 18:20
What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N?

(1) N is divisible by 100 but not by 1000.
N =100, contains 5^2
N=500, contains 5^3 - NS

(2) N is an even multiple of 100
N =10, contains 5^1
N=1 200, contains 5^2 - NS

(1)+(2) NS

Answer E

Originally posted by Hero8888 on 05 Aug 2018, 07:02.
Last edited by Hero8888 on 05 Aug 2018, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: Studying Quant
Joined: 04 Sep 2017
Posts: 103
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
Re: What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N? (1)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2018, 16:41
amanvermagmat wrote:
What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N?

(1) N is divisible by 100 but not by 1000.

(2) N is an even multiple of 100.


(1) N can be 100, 200, 300, 400.... 900.

If N is 100, greatest power of 5 is 2.

If N is 500, greatest power of 5 is 3.


(2) N can still be 100, 200, 300, 400, 500...1000, 1100, 1200, to infinity. All multiples of 100 are even numbers.

Same answers except there is no max number. So greatest power of 5 is infinity.


(1) + (2) We still don't know what N is.

Answer: E
_________________

Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Status: Learning stage
Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 892
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member
Re: What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N? (1)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 22:15
1
amanvermagmat wrote:
What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N?

(1) N is divisible by 100 but not by 1000.

(2) N is an even multiple of 100.


Question stem:- What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N?
Or, how many fives are there in the factorization of N?

St1:- N is divisible by 100 but not by 1000

Possible values of N: 100,200,...,500,...,900.
All the above terms contain two fives as factors except 500, which has 3nos of fives as factor.
100=5*5*4
200=5*5*8
.
.
500=5*5*5*4

Insufficient , because we found two results w.r.t. question stem.

St2:- N is an even multiple of 100.
Even multiple implies multiplying factor is even.
N=100*k, where k is positive even.
Possible values of N: (100*2=200),(100*4=400),........,(100*10=1000) etc
200=5*5*8
1000=5*5*5*8
Insufficient , because we found more than one results w.r.t. question stem.

Combined, Set N={200,400,600,800} (1. 100<N<1000, 2. N=100k )
All the elements of set N contain \(5*5=5^2\) as its factor.
So, the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N is 2.

Ans. (C)
_________________

Regards,

PKN

Rise above the storm, you will find the sunshine

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: Studying Quant
Joined: 04 Sep 2017
Posts: 103
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
Re: What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N? (1)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 13:01
PKN wrote:
amanvermagmat wrote:
What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N?

(1) N is divisible by 100 but not by 1000.

(2) N is an even multiple of 100.


Question stem:- What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N?
Or, how many fives are there in the factorization of N?

St1:- N is divisible by 100 but not by 1000

Possible values of N: 100,200,...,500,...,900.
All the above terms contain two fives as factors except 500, which has 3nos of fives as factor.
100=5*5*4
200=5*5*8
.
.
500=5*5*5*4

Insufficient , because we found two results w.r.t. question stem.

St2:- N is an even multiple of 100.
Even multiple implies multiplying factor is even.
N=100*k, where k is positive even.
Possible values of N: (100*2=200),(100*4=400),........,(100*10=1000) etc
200=5*5*8
1000=5*5*5*8
Insufficient , because we found more than one results w.r.t. question stem.

Combined, Set N={200,400,600,800} (1. 100<N<1000, 2. N=100k )
All the elements of set N contain \(5*5=5^2\) as its factor.
So, the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N is 2.

Ans. (C)


What is the source of this question? If it is not a reliable source, maybe change statement 2 to "N is a multiple of 100 and an even integer"

"N is an even multiple of 100." Does not imply that there is a multiplying factor of an even integer.

N is an even multiple of 100. 500 is an even number and is a multiple of 100.
_________________

Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Status: Learning stage
Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 892
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member
Re: What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N? (1)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 13:18
MikeScarn wrote:
PKN wrote:
amanvermagmat wrote:
What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N?

(1) N is divisible by 100 but not by 1000.

(2) N is an even multiple of 100.


Question stem:- What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N?
Or, how many fives are there in the factorization of N?

St1:- N is divisible by 100 but not by 1000

Possible values of N: 100,200,...,500,...,900.
All the above terms contain two fives as factors except 500, which has 3nos of fives as factor.
100=5*5*4
200=5*5*8
.
.
500=5*5*5*4

Insufficient , because we found two results w.r.t. question stem.

St2:- N is an even multiple of 100.
Even multiple implies multiplying factor is even.
N=100*k, where k is positive even.
Possible values of N: (100*2=200),(100*4=400),........,(100*10=1000) etc
200=5*5*8
1000=5*5*5*8
Insufficient , because we found more than one results w.r.t. question stem.

Combined, Set N={200,400,600,800} (1. 100<N<1000, 2. N=100k )
All the elements of set N contain \(5*5=5^2\) as its factor.
So, the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N is 2.

Ans. (C)


What is the source of this question? If it is not a reliable source, maybe change statement 2 to "N is a multiple of 100 and an even integer"

"N is an even multiple of 100." Does not imply that there is a multiplying factor of an even integer.

N is an even multiple of 100. 500 is an even number and is a multiple of 100.


If the multiplying factor is even, then it is named as "EVEN MULTIPLE".
For example even multiple of 100 :- 100*2,100*4 etc
For example:- 100*3,100*5 etc are not even multiple of 100.
I don't find ambiguity in the question.
This is a high quality question.

Kindly clarify my understanding amanvermagmat.
_________________

Regards,

PKN

Rise above the storm, you will find the sunshine

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: Studying Quant
Joined: 04 Sep 2017
Posts: 103
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
Re: What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N? (1)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 17:08
PKN , I completely understand what you're saying dude. Hold your horses.

But what I am saying is that there is indeed ambiguity as far as the English being used.

I read it as "N is even and a multiple of 100." Therefore I don't think this is a high quality question. GMAC does not try to trick people on the Quant section with use of English.

70% of people have gotten it wrong so far.


Hello MikeScarn

I have edited the question. This was NOT intended to be a play of words (there was no intention to Trick based on English words usage). My understanding is simply that even multiple of X means = X multiplied by an even number.

But I understand that it was causing confusion, so I have edited the second statement now, there should be clarity now. Thanks for your input.
_________________

Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags

SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 1837
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N? (1)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 17:38
MikeScarn wrote:
PKN , I completely understand what you're saying dude. Hold your horses.

But what I am saying is that there is indeed ambiguity as far as the English being used.

I read it as "N is even and a multiple of 100." Therefore I don't think this is a high quality question. GMAC does not try to trick people on the Quant section with use of English.

70% of people have gotten it wrong so far.



Hi MikeScarn

I totally agree with you. I spent some time to figure out the meaning.
DS Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 22 Aug 2013
Posts: 1348
Location: India
Premium Member
Re: What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N? (1)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 18:54
Kindly clarify my understanding amanvermagmat.[/quote][/quote]




Hello PKN

I have edited the question, there was some confusion. Thanks for your input.
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Status: Learning stage
Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 892
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member
What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N? (1)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 19:50
1
amanvermagmat wrote:
Kindly clarify my understanding amanvermagmat.
[/quote]




Hello PKN

I have edited the question, there was some confusion. Thanks for your input.[/quote]

Hi amanvermagmat,
Could you please post your explanation for answer option (C) against the amended question?
It would be a great learning for me.

Thanking you.

Thanks MikeScarn And Mo2men.
_________________

Regards,

PKN

Rise above the storm, you will find the sunshine

SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 1837
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N? (1)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 02:19
PKN wrote:

Hi amanvermagmat,
Could you please post your explanation for answer option (C) against the amended question?
It would be a great learning for me.

Thanking you.

Thanks MikeScarn And Mo2men.


Hi PKN

You are welcome :-)

I will share my thoughts

What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N?

(1) N is divisible by 100 but not by 1000.

This means the number is 100, 200, 300.......900.

Let N = 500=5 *100= 4 * 5^3........Power of 5 = 3

Let N= 1200 = 4*25= 4 *5^2..........Power of 5 = 2 (Please Note any number multiple of 100 until 900, except 500, has 5 with power of 2)

Insufficient

(2) N is the product of 100 and an even integer.

N = 100 * Even Number

Let N = 100 * 2 = 200...............Power of 5 = 2

Let N = 100 * 10 = 1000............Power of 5 = 3

Let N = 100 * 150 = 15,000.......Power of 5 = 3

Let N = 100 * 200 = 20,000.......Power of 5 = 4

Insufficient

Combine 1 & 2

Numbers are 200,400,600 & 800...........All has 5 with power of 2

Sufficient

Answer: C
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Status: Learning stage
Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 892
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member
Re: What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N? (1)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 02:23
Mo2men wrote:
PKN wrote:

Hi amanvermagmat,
Could you please post your explanation for answer option (C) against the amended question?
It would be a great learning for me.

Thanking you.

Thanks MikeScarn And Mo2men.


Hi PKN

You are welcome :-)

I will share my thoughts

What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N?

(1) N is divisible by 100 but not by 1000.

This means the number is 100, 200, 300.......900.

Let N = 500=5 *100= 4 * 5^3........Power of 5 = 3

Let N= 1200 = 4*25= 4 *5^2..........Power of 5 = 2 (Please Note any number multiple of 100 until 900, except 500, has 5 with power of 2)

Insufficient

(2) N is the product of 100 and an even integer.

N = 100 * Even Number

Let N = 100 * 2 = 200...............Power of 5 = 2

Let N = 100 * 10 = 1000............Power of 5 = 3

Let N = 100 * 150 = 15,000.......Power of 5 = 3

Let N = 100 * 200 = 20,000.......Power of 5 = 4

Insufficient

Combine 1 & 2

Numbers are 200,400,600 & 800...........All has 5 with power of 2

Sufficient

Answer: C


Thank you.
I think my explanation to the original question is still valid.
_________________

Regards,

PKN

Rise above the storm, you will find the sunshine

GMAT Club Bot
Re: What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N? (1) &nbs [#permalink] 11 Aug 2018, 02:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

What is the highest power of 5 contained in positive integer N? (1)

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.