Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16833 [31]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [5]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GRE 1: Q170 V167
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16833 [1]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Re: What is the minimum value of the expression [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Solution

Given:
    • An expression \(\frac{1}{x^2} – \frac{1}{2x} + \frac{5}{4}\)

To find:
    • The minimum value of the expression \(\frac{1}{x^2} – \frac{1}{2x} + \frac{5}{4}\)

Approach and Working Out:
    • \(\frac{1}{x^2} – \frac{1}{2x} + \frac{5}{4} = (\frac{1}{x})^2 – 2 * \frac{1}{x} * \frac{1}{4} + (\frac{1}{4})^2 + \frac{19}{16} = (\frac{1}{x} – \frac{1}{4})^2 + \frac{19}{16}\)

Therefore, the minimum value of the expression \(\frac{1}{x^2} – \frac{1}{2x} + \frac{5}{4} = 0 + \frac{19}{16} = \frac{19}{16}\)

Hence, the correct answer is Option D.

Answer: D

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [1]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Kudos
Any other approach apart from re-writing the equation in the perfect square standard form? It is least one of favorites.

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 281 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Kudos
TheNightKing wrote:
Any other approach apart from re-writing the equation in the perfect square standard form? It is least one of favorites.

Thank you!

Hi TheNightKing,

If you are aware of the concept to solve for local minima and maxima using differentiation, you can solve questions such as these like a breeze. I, too, have a hard time trying to figure out how to create an equation. Let me know if you need me to solve this question using differentation.

NOTE: I am fully aware of the fact that the GMAT doesn't test advanced concepts such as differentiation and integration, but IMO there's no harm employing them if they make your work easy!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 281 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Kudos
tam87 wrote:
abcdddddd wrote:

Hi TheNightKing,

If you are aware of the concept to solve for local minima and maxima using differentiation, you can solve questions such as these like a breeze. I, too, have a hard time trying to figure out how to create an equation. Let me know if you need me to solve this question using differentation.

NOTE: I am fully aware of the fact that the GMAT doesn't test advanced concepts such as differentiation and integration, but IMO there's no harm employing them if they make your work easy!

I generally always tend to use derivatives to find max/min value of an expression. However, in this case because of the fraction terms, won't to you think the calculations will be more using derivatives?

Posted from my mobile device

Hi tam87,

You can rewrite the equation as:
\(\frac{1}{x^2}\)– \(\frac{1}{2x}\) + \(\frac{5}{4}\)
= \(x^-2\)– \(\frac{1}{2}x^-1\) + \(\frac{5}{4}\)

and then take the derivative from there: For example: derivative of \(x^-2\) = -2 (\(x^-3\))

Hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Send PM
What is the minimum value of the expression [#permalink]
TheNightKing wrote:

Thank you!

What is the minimum value of the expression 1/X^2 -1/2x +5/4

Lets take x <0, in this case 1/x^2 is +ve & -1/2x also becomes +ve

Now if x>0, for any value of x, expression 1/x^2 -1/2x will be +ve if 0<x<2...how lets take x=0.5 1/x^2= 1/0.25=4 while -1/2x= -1 so the entire expression is +ve
but when x>2 lets take x= 4, 1/4^2 = 1/16=0.0625 while -1/2x = -1/8=-0.125 hence expression becomes -ve
lets take x a large expression this entire (1/x^2 -1/2x) will not be smaller than -5/4

hence entire expression will always be more than 0
Now we are left with 2 options D or E
E is possible only when x is infinite and for any value less than infinite but as discussed for x>2 , the expression 1/x^2 -1/2x can be <0 which will make entire expression of 1/x^2-1/2x+5/4 slightly less than 5/4 which is only option D

Not sure the above helps

Please give kudos if you like
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
abcdddddd wrote:

Hi TheNightKing,

I generally always tend to use derivatives to find max/min value of an expression. However, in this case because of the fraction terms, won't to you think the calculations will be more using derivatives?

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92901 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts