GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 14:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

What is the probability for a family with three children to

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Posts: 214
Location: India
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
What is the probability for a family with three children to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2011, 02:20
1
3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (00:38) correct 37% (00:41) wrong based on 142 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

What is the probability for a family with three children to have a boy and two girls (assuming the probability of having a boy or a girl is equal)?

A. 1/8
B. 1/4
C. 1/2
D. 3/8
E. 5/8

_________________

petrifiedbutstanding

Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 1877
Re: Family with three children  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2011, 02:52
4
Probability(1B,2G) = Favorable choices of having exactly 1B and 2G/Total number of Possiblities of sexes for 3 children

Let's do the sample set:

Represent Girls with G and Boys with B

3 children can have following possibilities of sexes

GGG - 3 girls
GGB - 2 girls one boy
GBG
GBB
BGG
BGB
BBG
BBB

Total possibilities of both sexes = 8

Number of choices where there are exactly 2 girls and 1 boy are:
GGB
GBG
BGG
=3.

Thus, probability = 3/8

Ans: "D"

This problem is similar to having exactly 2 heads in 3 tosses.

Alternate way;
The total number of possibilities = (Number of possible outcomes in each flip)^(Number of tosses) = 2^3=8

Likewise;
The total number possible sexes for 3 children = (Number of possible sex for each child)^(Number of children)
Number of possible sex for each child = 2 = (Boy or Girl)
Number of children = 3

Total possible sexes = 2^3 = 8

Possibilities to have exactly 2 Girls out of 3 child and 1 Boy out of remaining 1 Child:
=
\(C^{3}_{2}*C^{1}{1} = 3\)

Thus, probability = Favorable/total outcomes = 3/8.
_________________

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Posts: 214
Location: India
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Family with three children  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2011, 02:59
fluke wrote:
Probability(1B,2G) = Favorable choices of having exactly 1B and 2G/Total number of Possiblities of sexes for 3 children

Let's do the sample set:

Represent Girls with G and Boys with B

3 children can have following possibilities of sexes

GGG - 3 girls
GGB - 2 girls one boy
GBG
GBB
BGG
BGB
BBG
BBB

Total possibilities of both sexes = 8

Number of choices where there are exactly 2 girls and 1 boy are:
GGB
GBG
BGG
=3.

Thus, probability = 3/8

Ans: "D"

This problem is similar to having exactly 2 heads in 3 tosses.

Alternate way;
The total number of possibilities = (Number of possible outcomes in each flip)^(Number of tosses) = 2^3=8

Likewise;
The total number possible sexes for 3 children = (Number of possible sex for each child)^(Number of children)
Number of possible sex for each child = 2 = (Boy or Girl)
Number of children = 3

Total possible sexes = 2^3 = 8

Possibilities to have exactly 2 Girls out of 3 child and 1 Boy out of remaining 1 Child:
=
\(C^{3}_{2}*C^{1}{1} = 3\)

Thus, probability = Favorable/total outcomes = 3/8.


Thanks. This explanation is much simpler than the one in the source. I've been using the F/T rule in most of my previous problems.

But the explanation in the source confused me.
_________________

petrifiedbutstanding

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2014
Posts: 128
Re: What is the probability for a family with three children to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2014, 11:33
fluke wrote:
Probability(1B,2G) = Favorable choices of having exactly 1B and 2G/Total number of Possiblities of sexes for 3 children

Let's do the sample set:

Represent Girls with G and Boys with B

3 children can have following possibilities of sexes

GGG - 3 girls
GGB - 2 girls one boy
GBG
GBB
BGG
BGB
BBG
BBB

Total possibilities of both sexes = 8

Number of choices where there are exactly 2 girls and 1 boy are:
GGB
GBG
BGG
=3.

Thus, probability = 3/8

Ans: "D"

This problem is similar to having exactly 2 heads in 3 tosses.

Alternate way;
The total number of possibilities = (Number of possible outcomes in each flip)^(Number of tosses) = 2^3=8

Likewise;
The total number possible sexes for 3 children = (Number of possible sex for each child)^(Number of children)
Number of possible sex for each child = 2 = (Boy or Girl)
Number of children = 3

Total possible sexes = 2^3 = 8

Possibilities to have exactly 2 Girls out of 3 child and 1 Boy out of remaining 1 Child:
=
\(C^{3}_{2}*C^{1}{1} = 3\)

Thus, probability = Favorable/total outcomes = 3/8.


Hi Fluke,
How does the combination of BGG and GBG vary? Why are we considering the order of kids here?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Posts: 1075
Location: United States
Premium Member
What is the probability for a family with three children to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2014, 01:07
1
maggie27 wrote:
Hi Fluke,
How does the combination of BGG and GBG vary? Why are we considering the order of kids here?


Hello maggie27

Not Fluke, but I may help.

A family has 3 children --> Let put the order: C1_C2_C3 (child 1_child 2_child3).
Each child could be boy or girl --> 2 ways for C1; 2 ways for C2; 2 ways for C3. We have total 2x2x2 = 8 ways. It means you considered the order already i.e. BGB # BBG. Thus, when you count the combination (1boy, 2 girls), you have to consider the order. So we have three orders that have 1 boy and 2 girls
BGG; GBG; GGB

=> probability = 3/8

Hope it's clear.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2014
Posts: 128
Re: What is the probability for a family with three children to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2014, 08:04
pqhai wrote:
maggie27 wrote:
Hi Fluke,
How does the combination of BGG and GBG vary? Why are we considering the order of kids here?


Hello maggie27

Not Fluke, but I may help.

A family has 3 children --> Let put the order: C1_C2_C3 (child 1_child 2_child3).
Each child could be boy or girl --> 2 ways for C1; 2 ways for C2; 2 ways for C3. We have total 2x2x2 = 8 ways. It means you considered the order already i.e. BGB # BBG. Thus, when you count the combination (1boy, 2 girls), you have to consider the order. So we have three orders that have 1 boy and 2 girls
BGG; GBG; GGB

=> probability = 3/8

Hope it's clear.


Thanks pqhai
I get it now! Kudos to u :-D
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Status: IF YOU CAN DREAM IT, YOU CAN DO IT
Joined: 03 Jul 2017
Posts: 209
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
What is the probability for a family with three children to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 21:58
Since the probability of a boy and a girl are equal the individual probability is 1/2 and since there are BGG , (1/2)^3 * 3!/2! that is we have to consider the arrangements = 3/8. Hope this method helps
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 13 Mar 2017
Posts: 616
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: What is the probability for a family with three children to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 01:02
petrifiedbutstanding wrote:
What is the probability for a family with three children to have a boy and two girls (assuming the probability of having a boy or a girl is equal)?

A. 1/8
B. 1/4
C. 1/2
D. 3/8
E. 5/8


This can be solved in 2 ways.. First by checking number of events or second, by probability

First
Family to have a boy and 2 girls.
Total numbers of events possible i s

GGG
GGB
GBG
BGG
GBB
BGB
BBG
BBB

So, probability = 3/8.

Answer D.
_________________

CAT 99th percentiler : VA 97.27 | DI-LR 96.84 | QA 98.04 | OA 98.95
UPSC Aspirants : Get my app UPSC Important News Reader from Play store.

MBA Social Network : WebMaggu


Appreciate by Clicking +1 Kudos ( Lets be more generous friends.)



What I believe is : "Nothing is Impossible, Even Impossible says I'm Possible" : "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish".

Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
G
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 3186
Location: United States (CA)
Re: What is the probability for a family with three children to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 17:03
petrifiedbutstanding wrote:
What is the probability for a family with three children to have a boy and two girls (assuming the probability of having a boy or a girl is equal)?

A. 1/8
B. 1/4
C. 1/2
D. 3/8
E. 5/8


We need to determine the probability for a family with three children to have a boy and two girls.

P(G-G-B) = 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/8

We also see that there are 3 ways to arrange two girls and one boy:

G-G-B

G-B-G

B-G-G

Thus, the probability is 1/8 x 3 = 3/8.

Answer: D
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 05 Oct 2014
Posts: 60
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 580 Q41 V28
GPA: 3.8
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: What is the probability for a family with three children to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 09:20
Such a great way to solve. Thnx

pqhai wrote:
maggie27 wrote:
Hi Fluke,
How does the combination of BGG and GBG vary? Why are we considering the order of kids here?


Hello maggie27

Not Fluke, but I may help.

A family has 3 children --> Let put the order: C1_C2_C3 (child 1_child 2_child3).
Each child could be boy or girl --> 2 ways for C1; 2 ways for C2; 2 ways for C3. We have total 2x2x2 = 8 ways. It means you considered the order already i.e. BGB # BBG. Thus, when you count the combination (1boy, 2 girls), you have to consider the order. So we have three orders that have 1 boy and 2 girls
BGG; GBG; GGB

=> probability = 3/8

Hope it's clear.
Re: What is the probability for a family with three children to &nbs [#permalink] 09 Oct 2017, 09:20
Display posts from previous: Sort by

What is the probability for a family with three children to

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.