GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 14:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

What is the probability of randomly choosing two cows (one by one) o

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
What is the probability of randomly choosing two cows (one by one) o  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2015, 01:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:08) correct 46% (00:47) wrong based on 212 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

What is the probability of randomly choosing two cows (one by one) out of all the animals at Old McDonald’s farm?

(1) The ratio of the number of cows to the number of goats at the farm is 5:6.
(2) The only animals at the farm are cows and goats.

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.
CEO
CEO
D
GMAT: INSIGHT
Schools: Darden '21
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
What is the probability of randomly choosing two cows (one by one) o  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2015, 06:13
reto wrote:
What is the probability of randomly choosing two cows (one by one) out of all the animals at Old McDonald’s farm?

Question : Probability of choosing two cows out of All animals = ?

To solve this question all we need is the Number of cows and total Animals

Statement 1: The ratio of the number of cows to the number of goats at the farm is 5:6.
We don't know if there are any other animals in the farm or not. Hence,
NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: The only animals at the farm are cows and goats.
The number of cows and Goats is still unknown. Hence,
NOT SUFFICIENT

Combining the two statements
Cows : Goats = 5:6 and there are no other animals
Case 1: Cows = 5, Goats = 6, i.e. Required Probability = (5/11)*(4/10) = 20/110
Case 2: Cows = 10, Goats = 12, i.e. Required Probability = (10/22)*(9/21) = 90/462
Inconsistent values of Probability. Hence,
NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: option E
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION
Current Student
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: What is the probability of randomly choosing two cows (one by one) o  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2016, 14:34
Hi,

If the question would have asked to select 2 cows in one go, we could have done with option - C.

Thanks,
Anchal
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
Re: What is the probability of randomly choosing two cows (one by one) o  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2016, 14:49
I think even in that case it will be E. Can you please explain how you got C.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 22:14
I fell for this one. I now realize that had the problem been what is the probability of drawing one cow, then the probability remains the same no matter what is the total number of animals. However, I never thought it would change if we are drawing two animals instead of just one.
sometimes it is worthwhile to just do the problem and see what happens. Very good learning for me.

For example if we had two scenarios --- Scenario 1) 5 cows and 6 goats; Scenario 2) 10 cows and 12 goats
probability of drawing two cows.
Scenario 1) 5/11*4/10
Scenario 2) 10/22*9/21
We see that the first term of the multiplication does not change between the two scenarios. The second term makes all the difference. Now that one cow is taken off, the second term has to be adjusted for total number of goats and cows remaining.
fantastico!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 10:03
Can anyone explain why did we choose Case 2: Cows = 10, Goats = 12
GMAT Tutor
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 10:41
If you're only picking one thing in a probability question, then the actual numbers don't matter - you just need a ratio. For example, if you pick one person from a group, and the ratio of women to men in the group is 2 to 1, then the probability you pick a man is 1/3.

But as soon as you pick two or more things without replacement from a group, then your numbers will matter. Again, if the ratio of women to men is 2 to 1, and you pick two people without replacement, and want to know the probability both are men, then the answer could be zero, if we only have 3 people in total (because then there aren't two men in the group at all that we could even pick), but will not be zero if we have a larger number of people. In this situation, the probability the first selection is a man is 1/3, and the probability the second selection is then also a man will be less than 1/3 (since we've reduced the proportion of men in the group with our first selection), but will get closer and closer to 1/3 the larger the group is.

If instead you make selections with replacement (so your first selection goes back into the original group before you make the next selection) then again, only the ratio matters, since, using the example above, the probability of picking a man would be 1/3 each time.

No real GMAT probability question would be worded the way the question above is, incidentally. A probability question needs to make clear how many selections you're making, and how you're doing it, and this question doesn't even mention that you're selecting exactly two animals.

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
Tuck School Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 08:57
reto wrote:

Find: the probability of selecting two cow one by one out of all animals
We need to know total number of cows and all other animals.

s1 cows = 5x goats = 6x, but we don't know are there other animals on the farm? therefore, not sufficient

s2 clearly not sufficient

both: cows = 5x , total animals = 11x

select 2 animals from 11x animals = 11xC2 =\(\frac{11x!}{2!*(11x-2)!}\)

select 2 cows from 5x cows = 5xC2 = \(\frac{5x!}{2!*(5x-2)!}\)

probability =\(\frac{11x!}{2!*(11x-2)!}/\frac{5x!}{2!*(5x-2)!}\)

because we can't cancel x from the equation, this is not sufficient. Answer E.

And if the condition was that cow is replaced after each selection then the answer would be C.

Dear Bunuel chetan2u VeritasKarishma is this approach correct?
Re: What is the probability of randomly choosing two cows (one by one) o   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2019, 08:57

What is the probability of randomly choosing two cows (one by one) o

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics