Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1472 [151]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [47]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618923 [20]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [3]
Send PM
Re: What is the probability that a student randomly selected from a class [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
"E" for me.....even after combining.....the 20 mals student might belong entirely to the gp of 30 brown hair students or may be 10, 5...etc....so insuff.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: What is the probability that a student randomly selected from a class [#permalink]
Kudos
What is the probability that a student randomly selected from a class of 60 students will
be a male who has brown hair?
(1) One-half of the students have brown hair.
(2) One-third of the students are males.

Is'nt this straightforward independant events probability:
(1/2)* (1/3) ??

That would get the answer as (C) but the correct answer is given as (E) ??
I know there's something really fundamental I am missing here!?
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9243 [19]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Samarth0711 wrote:
What is the probability that a student randomly selected from a class of 60 students will
be a male who has brown hair?

Is'nt this straightforward independant events probability:
(1/2)* (1/3) ??

That would get the answer as (C) but the correct answer is given as (E) ??
I know there's something really fundamental I am missing here!?

It's that they aren't 'independent events' - there's only one 'event' in the question, since we are only picking one student.

From the definition of probability, the probability of selecting a male with brown hair must be equal to:

(the number of males with brown hair) / (total number of students)

We know we have 60 students, so we just need to find the number of males with brown hair. This is really a Venn diagram question disguised as a probability question. We have 30 students with brown hair, and 20 males, but we don't know how these groups overlap. The people with brown hair might all be female, in which case we have 0 males with brown hair, or all 20 males could have brown hair, to take just the two extreme possibilities. So while we can find that the answer is somewhere between 0 and 1/3, we can't determine it exactly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Spoiler of this question seems to be
well when we say 1/3 of 60 ie 20 are boys....it is actually not that all those 20 have brown hair....so we actually dont know actual numbers of boys who have brown hair....so E
(but i confess i was fooled at first glance...)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
I think the answer should be (C). Please see the following approach and explain the flaw if possible:

I agree that "Male intersection Brown" can be anywhere between 0 and 20. Class is 60. This leads to probability being between 0 and 1/3.
But I disagree that we can NOT answer the question. The Answer should be 1/6. If we take the as mentioned by colleagues above, isn't the the entire concept of probability is lost?
Also, being male and brown hair are independent. When a person is born, BOTH of these traits are TOTALLY independent of each other.

Probability is a concept. Not a certainty, or a guarantee. It is only a likelihood.
Let me try and explain what I am saying.
Lets take a simple standard question for which there is no confusion.
# What is the Prob of getting all heads if I toss a coin 3 times.
Ans: We take sample space where we have 8 options. Favourable is 1. Answer is that probability is 1/8.

This means 1 out of 8 try's shall give us 1 success (3 Heads).

NOW

If I toss a coin 40 times can we say WE SHALL DEFINITELY GET 5 SUCCESSES ?

Obviously NO. But possible & likely.

If I toss a coin 40 times can we say WE SHALL DEFINITELY GET 0 SUCCESSES ?

Obviously NO. But possible.

If I toss a coin 40 times can we say WE SHALL DEFINITELY GET 40 SUCCESSES ?

Obviously NO. But possible.

So do we conclude that probability can be anywhere between 0 and 1.
As such, we do not have enough data to answer the question ? But, We say the probability is 1/8

I think we need to approach the Q39 in same way.

Any insights to refute/question my thinking process will be highly appreciated!
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16595 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
What is the probability that a student randomly selected from a class of 60 students will be a male who has brown hair?

In the original condition, the question is frequently given in the Gmat Math test, which is "2 by 2" que like the table below.
Attachment:
GCDS   nocilis       What is the probability that a student (20151219).jpg
GCDS nocilis What is the probability that a student (20151219).jpg [ 26.39 KiB | Viewed 231518 times ]

In the above, there are 4 variables((a,b,c,d), and 1 equation(a+b+c+d=60), which should match with the number equations. So you need 3 more equations. For 1) 1 equation, for 2) 1 equation, which is likely make E the answer.
When 1) & 2), you cannot find the value of b in a unique way from a+b=30, b+d=20, which is not sufficient. Therefore, the answer is E.

-> For cases where we need 1 more equation, such as original conditions with “1 variable”, or “2 variables and 1 equation”, or “3 variables and 2 equations”, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, there is 59 % chance that D is the answer, while A or B has 38% chance and C or E has 3% chance. Since D is most likely to be the answer using 1) and 2) separately according to DS definition. Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, C or E.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29924 [4]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
nocilis wrote:
What is the probability that a student randomly selected from a class of 60 students will be a male who has brown hair?

Here's a step-by-step approach using the Double Matrix method.

Here, we have a population of students, and the two characteristics are:
- male or female
- has brown hair or doesn't have brown hair.

There are 60 students altogether, so we can set up our diagram as follows:

Target question: What is the probability that a student randomly selected from a class of 60 students will be a male who has brown hair?
So, we must determine how many of the 60 students are males with brown hair. Let's place a STAR in the box that represents this information:

Statement 1: one-half of the students have brown hair.
So, 30 of the students have brown hair, which means the remaining 30 students do NOT have brown hair.
When we add this information to our diagram, we get:

Do we now have enough information to determine the number in the starred box? No.
So, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: one-third of the students are males
So, 20 of the students are males, which means the remaining 40 students are NOT males.

Do we now have enough information to determine the number in the starred box? No.
So, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined
Combining the information, we get:

Do we now have enough information to determine the number in the starred box? No. Consider these two conflicting cases:

case a:

Here, 0 of the 60 students are males with brown hair, so P(selected student is male with brown hair) = 0/60

case b:

Here, 5 of the 60 students are males with brown hair, so P(selected student is male with brown hair) = 5/60

Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer:

RELATED VIDEO

MORE PRACTICE

Originally posted by BrentGMATPrepNow on 22 Sep 2016, 13:21.
Last edited by BrentGMATPrepNow on 16 Apr 2018, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 127
Concentration: International Business, General Management
Send PM
GMATPrepNow wrote:
nocilis wrote:

Here's a step-by-step approach using the Double Matrix method.

- male or female
- has brown hair or doesn't have brown hair.

There are 60 students altogether, so we can set up our diagram as follows:

Target question: What is the probability that a student randomly selected from a class of 60 students will be a male who has brown hair?
So, we must determine how many of the 60 students are males with brown hair. Let's place a STAR in the box that represents this information:

Statement 1: one-half of the students have brown hair.
So, 30 of the students have brown hair, which means the remaining 30 students do NOT have brown hair.

So, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: one-third of the students are males
So, 20 of the students are males, which means the remaining 40 students are NOT males.

So, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined
Combining the information, we get:

Do we now have enough information to determine the number in the starred box? No. Consider these two conflicting cases:

case a:

Here, 0 of the 60 students are males with brown hair, so P(selected student is male with brown hair) = 0/60

case b:

Here, 5 of the 60 students are males with brown hair, so P(selected student is male with brown hair) = 5/60

Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer:

RELATED VIDEO

MORE PRACTICE

Hi,

How to identify whether a double matrix method can be used in a problem?

Thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29924 [0]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
SpiritualYoda wrote:
Hi,

How to identify whether a double matrix method can be used in a problem?

Thanks.

The Double Matrix Method can be used for most questions featuring a population in which each member has two characteristics associated with it (aka overlapping sets questions).

- male or female
- has brown hair or doesn't have brown hair

Cheers,
Brent
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
Solution:

The information provided is that there are 60 students.
A student is randomly selected.
We have to calculate the probability of the student being a male with brown hair.

St(1)- One-half of the students have brown hair.
We have no information about the female students. (Insufficient) -Eliminate A,D-

St(2)- One-third of the students are males.
We have no information about the students with brown hair. Once again (insufficient) - Eliminate B-

Combining both,
We have 1/3rd of 60 which is 20 students being male from St(2) and 1/2 or 30 of the students from among 60 with brown hair.
These 30 students can be male or female.
So,the number of males with brown hair cannot be derived.
(Insufficient) (option e)

Devmitra Sen
GMAT SME
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Kudos