GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 07:44

R1 Decisions:

Michigan Ross Chat (US calls are expected today)  |  UCLA Anderson Chat  (Calls expected to start at 7am PST; Applicants from Asia will hear first)

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

06:00 PM PST

07:00 PM PST

Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

What is the standard deviation of a set of numbers whose mean is 20?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
What is the standard deviation of a set of numbers whose mean is 20?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 02:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (01:23) correct 39% (01:30) wrong based on 159 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

(1) The absolute value of the difference of each number in the set from the mean is equal

(2) The sum of the squares of the differences from the mean is greater than 100

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: What is the standard deviation of a set of numbers whose mean is 20?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 20:36
SD is sum of squares of each term from the mean,

Statement 1 states, Value of difference with each term is constant. Thus the statement can be reduces to all the terms in the list are equal. Hence the SD = 0

I choose A

Though i am not sure whether i understood the STatement 1 properly. Please correct me if i am wrong
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V21
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 2.8
Re: What is the standard deviation of a set of numbers whose mean is 20?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 21:03
It's absolute value which is same
Like -5&+5 have same absolute value of difference from 0

Sent from my XT1033 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 04:32
Nikki&sunny wrote:
It's absolute value which is same
Like -5&+5 have same absolute value of difference from 0

Sent from my XT1033 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

As per your point,

then set may contain either positive or negative numbers, by which we can't determine the SD
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 2.9
Reviews Badge
What is the standard deviation of a set of numbers whose mean is 20?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2016, 09:54
deepthit

Statement (1) does not give us any information about the value of Standard Deviation.

Check out these cases : 1) 19,20,21. Mean=20. The absolute value of (19-20) and (21-20) is the same. Standard deviation=1.
2) 18,20,24. Mean=20. The absolute value of (18-20) and (22-20) is the same. Standard deviation=2.

Therefore, we can't find the exact value of SD.

Statement (2) Σ(xi-median)>100. Xis could taky any value. Not sufficient.

(1) + (2) Again Xs could take a lot of values and still be >100.

Answer E.

+1 Kudos if you like the post :)

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2016, 20:51
InAthens wrote:
deepthit

Statement (1) does not give us any information about the value of Standard Deviation.

Check out these cases : 1) 19,20,21. Mean=20. The absolute value of (19-20) and (21-20) is the same. Standard deviation=1.
2) 18,20,24. Mean=20. The absolute value of (18-20) and (22-20) is the same. Standard deviation=2.

Note that there is a problem with these cases. Not that it changes the answer, though.

" The absolute value of the difference of each number in the set from the mean is equal"

So the cases should be
1) 19, 21 (when you add 20 to the mix, its difference from mean is 0, not 1)
2) 18, 22
3) 18, 18, 22, 22
etc

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2016, 21:20
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
InAthens wrote:
deepthit

Note that there is a problem with these cases. Not that it changes the answer, though.

" The absolute value of the difference of each number in the set from the mean is equal"

So the cases should be
2) 18, 22
3) 18, 18, 22, 22
etc

Hi Karishma,
for this question correct answer is E , however if we were given that there are 3 numbers in the set , i think even then answer would have been E? Because the numbers could be anything? Am I correct?

Thanks
P

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2016, 21:45
rakaisraka wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
InAthens wrote:
deepthit

So the cases should be
2) 18, 22
3) 18, 18, 22, 22
etc

Hi Karishma,
for this question correct answer is E , however if we were given that there are 3 numbers in the set , i think even then answer would have been E? Because the numbers could be anything? Am I correct?

Thanks

If there are 3 numbers in the set such that mean = 20 and "the absolute value of the difference of each number in the set from the mean is equal", then the SD will be 0.
Say, the absolute value of the difference of each number from the mean is 0. Then all numbers are the same and equal to 20. SD = 0
Say, the absolute value of the difference of each number from the mean is 1. So the difference of each number from mean is either +1 or -1. If you have an odd number of numbers (i.e. 3), the shortfall deviation and excess deviation will not be equal. That is, you will have either 19, 19, 21 or 19, 21, 21. The mean here will not be 20.
Same will be true for any absolute value of difference from mean which is other than 0.

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Intern
Intern
S
Schools: IIM-A"19

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 13:58
Hello Karishma,

Dont get your explanation. In the question above, even if there are 3 numbers the answer would be E, right Ex {1,2,3} SD <> 0. Unless we know the exact element values in set we cant tell the SD. Correct me if otherwise ?

Thank You Very Much,
CoolKl
Success is the Journey from Knowing to Doing

A Kudo is a gesture, to express the effort helped. Thanks for your Kudos.

P

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 04:14
coolkl wrote:
Hello Karishma,

Dont get your explanation. In the question above, even if there are 3 numbers the answer would be E, right Ex {1,2,3} SD <> 0. Unless we know the exact element values in set we cant tell the SD. Correct me if otherwise ?

Look at your example: {1, 2,3}

Is "the absolute value of the difference of each number in the set from the mean is equal"?

Mean is 2.
Absolute value of diff between 1 and 2 is 1.
Absolute value of diff between 3 and 2 is 1.
But Absolute value of diff between 2 and 2 is 0.

Now go back to the logic I have explained above.

Karishma

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.54

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 07:42
VeritasKarishma wrote:

If there are 3 numbers in the set such that mean = 20 and "the absolute value of the difference of each number in the set from the mean is equal", then the SD will be 0.
Say, the absolute value of the difference of each number from the mean is 0. Then all numbers are the same and equal to 20. SD = 0
Say, the absolute value of the difference of each number from the mean is 1. So the difference of each number from mean is either +1 or -1. If you have an odd number of numbers (i.e. 3), the shortfall deviation and excess deviation will not be equal. That is, you will have either 19, 19, 21 or 19, 21, 21. The mean here will not be 20.
Same will be true for any absolute value of difference from mean which is other than 0.

Hi karishma

Following is what I get from your explanation.

When we are provided 2 info below.
    + value of mean, and
    + "the absolute value of the difference of each number in the set from the mean is equal"

Then we can conclude that
- If the set contains an odd number of numbers (i.e. 3, 5, 7, etc.) --> S.D = 0
- If the set contains an even number of numbers (i.e. 2, 4, 6, etc.) --> S.D can't be determined.

Am I right?

(^人^)

GMATCLUB Search for tags

GMAC © Official Guides - The Master Directory + Links

Question Directory by Topic & Difficulty
Problem Solving | Data Sufficiency | Sentence Correction | Critical Reasoning | Reading Comprehension

ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

GMAT Club Bot
Re: What is the standard deviation of a set of numbers whose mean is 20? &nbs [#permalink] 14 Aug 2018, 07:42

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap