Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32844 [34]
Given Kudos: 5775
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 706 [14]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 320
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40 (Online)
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32844 [1]
Send PM
What it means to “explain” something in science often comes down to [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
tejasvkalra wrote:
Can anyone explain how A is the correct answer to Q5 ?
I feel as if A pertains to the opposite theory and not to the theory talked about in lines 21-24

Explanation

5. Based on the passage, linguists who subscribe to the theory described in lines 21–24 would hold that the statement “The ball is red” is true because

Difficulty Level: 650

Explanation

An extrapolation question. There’s nothing about balls, red or otherwise, in the passage; instead we have to apply the passage’s ideas to this concrete example. But which ideas? The key is to check out lines 21-24 and recognize that we’re talking theory 2 here—the one that believes language to be un-fixed, a matter of common agreement. To those holding this view, the English sentence “The ball is red” is true simply because all English speakers agree upon what “ball” and “red” mean. That’s (A).

(B) The issue is why “The ball is red” is true, not whether there might or might not be better ways of saying it, e.g. “The sphere is scarlet.”

(C) Contrary. “Essential correspondence” is part of theory 1, not 2.

(D)’s entity vs. property distinction isn’t a key element of either theory.

(E) “The ball is red” is a conventional-language sentence that is true for different reasons, depending on which theory one supports. That has nothing to do with mathematics, which is a parallel but totally different aspect of the passage.

Answer: A

Explanation Credit: Kaplan LSAT
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
Re: What it means to “explain” something in science often comes down to [#permalink]
12.5 mins, and 4/5 correct. got question 2 wrong. had to pretty much guess on that one and move on... was a confusing question for me.

how would you guys have approached question #2?

Also if you guys could share your thoughts on difficulty levels, that would be helpful - thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
Re: What it means to “explain” something in science often comes down to [#permalink]
Actually just found out my mistake for question 2... it was a strengthen question, ("lends most support") totally missed that!

it actually isnt that bad of a question when you understand what the question is actually asking... next time need to be more aware of the fact that some RC questions are pretty much CRs lol
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Please explain Question # 4

4. The primary purpose of the third paragraph is to ?

(A) offer support for the view of linguists who believe that language has an essential correspondence to things
(B) elaborate the position of linguists who believe that truth is merely a matter of convention
(C) illustrate the differences between the essentialist and conventionalist positions in the linguists’ debate
(D) demonstrate the similarity of the linguists’ debate to a current debate among scientists about the nature of explanation
(E) explain the theory that mathematical statements are a kind of language

I chose option D.. To my understanding it was showing ths similarity b/w linguistic debate and scientists debate that how truth is a mere convention.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32844 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ArupRS wrote:
Please explain Question # 4

4. The primary purpose of the third paragraph is to ?

(A) offer support for the view of linguists who believe that language has an essential correspondence to things
(B) elaborate the position of linguists who believe that truth is merely a matter of convention
(C) illustrate the differences between the essentialist and conventionalist positions in the linguists’ debate
(D) demonstrate the similarity of the linguists’ debate to a current debate among scientists about the nature of explanation
(E) explain the theory that mathematical statements are a kind of language

I chose option D.. To my understanding it was showing ths similarity b/w linguistic debate and scientists debate that how truth is a mere convention.

Explanation

4. The primary purpose of the third paragraph is to

Difficulty Level: Hard

Explanation

The first sentence of Paragraph 3 makes it clear that the Paragraph’s topic is theory 2, the one described in lines 21-24, and if you’re wondering whether the author strays from it, take note of the signposts: “According to linguists who support this view,” (lines 26-27); “These linguists argue that” (lines 29-30); and “Under this view,” (line 38). These Keyword phrases alone tell us that all along, Paragraph 3 is embroidering the theory that language is fluid and a matter of convention.

(A) evokes theory 1 not 2.

(C) is wrong in asserting that Paragraph 3 is a compare/contrast vehicle between the two theories. In fact, theory 1 is left behind by the time we get to Paragraph 3, and it’s no wonder: Inferably theory 1 poses fewer problems for the idea of math as language (if it’s precise, it’s precise, right?). The author’s real interest is in whether language is in fact vague and changing, and that’s why he devotes all of Paragraph 3 (and Paragraph 4) to that issue.

(D) According to the last sentence (lines 54-55) the debate in science has barely begun, so it’s hard to see what (D) is talking about, let alone define Paragraph 3 in (D)’s terms. What Paragraph 3 does do is show that the same linguistic issues may apply in science as elsewhere, but that’s the “elaboration” to which correct choice (B) refers.

(E) hearkens back to Paragraph 1. By Paragraph 3 we’re exploring just what kind of language mathematics is.

Answer: B

Explanation Credit: Kaplan LSAT
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
13.5 and got all 5 correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
Send PM
is there a better explanation on 2?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
What it means to “explain” something in science often comes down to [#permalink]
Kudos
yahya729 wrote:
is there a better explanation on 2?

Question- "language has an essential correspondence to the things it describes?"
Answer choice A- "The categories of physical objects employed by one language correspond remarkably to the categories employed by another language that developed independently of the first."
Basically what "A" trying to say is that if there are 2 independently developed languages, say English and French, and some categories or variables are used to describe a relationship of some objects or nature of the objects in relation to physical world then some other language, which is French in our example, would also describe those objects or categorize those objects using words which correspond to similar words of English (if we apply translation).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39 (Online)
Send PM
8 minutes, all correct. Another beautiful LSAT passage!
The trick in solving all 700 level passages is to read the passage slowly and then use that advantage in solving the questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
sssanskaar wrote:
8 minutes, all correct. Another beautiful LSAT passage!
The trick in solving all 700 level passages is to read the passage slowly and then use that advantage in solving the questions.

How were you able to read slowly (the passage and the questions/answer choices) and answer all questions in 8 mins? Can you please elaborate on your strategy? It would really be helpful, in using that to understand what I am doing wrong and fixing that.

PS: I also read the passage slowly and It took 16m 30s for me to complete the passage - reading and answering the questions - got 4/5 correct.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [4]
Given Kudos: 163
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
L0S3R wrote:
How were you able to read slowly (the passage and the questions/answer choices) and answer all questions in 8 mins? Can you please elaborate on your strategy? It would really be helpful, in using that to understand what I am doing wrong and fixing that.

PS: I also read the passage slowly and It took 16m 30s for me to complete the passage - reading and answering the questions - got 4/5 correct.

Thanks.

Hi L0S3R,

Thanks for reaching out!

How do I answer this question candidly? :D hmmm..

Well, for me, this control on the timing came from practicing at least 2 hard RCs daily. I also initially started a habit of reading editorials to get familiar with the flow of the author's thoughts.
There are certain typical structures that you will get familiar with once you read/practice a good bunch of RC passages - for example - Introducing an idea and elaborating on the same, discussing an idea and then evaluating pros and cons, presenting two sides of the debate on a point, proposing more research over a certain subject after listing down its advantages etc

Once you get the hang of the structure, it gets easier. You now need to keep your focus on the important details of the paragraph while being in the flow of the passage.

What I would suggest to you is that you write a summary of each para and extremely short notes while reading the passage. Initially, it may take time but this habit will certainly help you to build a skill of making mind maps automatically WITHOUT WRITING EVEN A SINGLE LETTER (in a shorter amount of time)!

Also, I went through this RC guide by the legendary nightblade354 :please: , and this single article helped me a lot to improve my accuracy and timing on RC.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/mod-nightbla ... l#p2325769

See, to be honest, RC does not require mastery of a tremendous number of concepts as compared to the number of concepts required in CR and SC. It call comes down to just two main points- 1. Understanding the structure of the passage and 2. Dissecting specific portions of the passage to understand inferences.

Adding one last point I can see that you have already achieved 80% accuracy in this passage! That's great man! Kudos!
Keep practicing and you will surely see the improvement in your timing!

Lastly, look for explanations that our beloved Sajjad1994 bhai keeps posting for the questions. Understand and ask why were you not able to discern those correctly. What went wrong. What did you miss. Note those down. For example - I always used to miss out on questions just because I had this bad habit of not verifying the answers by going back and checking in the passage. Learn from those mistakes and keep pushing :)

A little secret: Improving on RC is much easier than improving on CR :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38 (Online)
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V34
Send PM
Very beautiful passage :) Could anyone explain why B in question 5 is wrong?

5. Based on the passage, linguists who subscribe to the theory described in lines 21–24 would hold that the statement “The ball is red” is true because
(A) speakers of English have accepted that “The ball is red” applies to the particular physical relationship being described
(B) speakers of English do not accept that synonyms for “ball” and “red” express these concepts as elegantly

See line 25 - 32:
(25) Lately the latter theory has been gaining wider
acceptance. According to linguists who support this
theory, the way language is used varies depending
upon changes in accepted practices and theories among
those who work in a particular discipline. These
(30) linguists argue that, in the pursuit of knowledge, a
statement is true only when there are no promising
alternatives that might lead one to question it.

Imo choice B states the bolded part of the passage. What I understand from it is that we have a word for something because of consensus that we don't have better words to express it. What is actually the problem with choice B? Could anyone please explain? Thanks a lot.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [2]
Given Kudos: 106
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
This is how I understood it -The option B talks about the elegance of the words which more precisely means if they are the best words to express the statement. But that's not what is asked.

The question states that the "ball is red" is held as truth so why are the linguists compelled to do that - because the language speakers have attributed the words to the physical object and that there is no possible alternative to those words. Hence A stands as a good reason.

B - doesn't provide a reason why "ball is red" is accepted as truth instead it says that because synonyms are not elegant enough, they accept this, which assumes that 'elegance' plays a role in this decision making - which is not discussed in the passage.

All in all, You can unravel the meaning and peel off the layers of information based on your personal perspectives and you won't be wrong. That's what we are programmed to do and that's how the world work - we add our perspectives to the context to give wholesome reasoning to the ideas we encounter but IMO, in GMAT's constraints filled to-the-text world, we should stick as close to the text of the passage as possible and don't overthink it. When I did this question and read option B - My question was -"is elegance a factor for choosing a specific word?" - not mentioned in the passage and A seemed a more close to the passage answer and hence I selected that.

Hopefully, if I have not confused you more, this helps.

Please provide Kudos, if helpful.

rickyah wrote:

(A) speakers of English have accepted that “The ball is red” applies to the particular physical relationship being described
(B) speakers of English do not accept that synonyms for “ball” and “red” express these concepts as elegantly

See line 25 - 32:

Imo choice B states the bolded part of the passage. What I understand from it is that we have a word for something because of consensus that we don't have better words to express it. What is actually the problem with choice B? Could anyone please explain? Thanks a lot.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Send PM
Re: What it means to explain something in science often comes down to [#permalink]
Some thinkers hold that mathematics is a kind of
language—a systematic contrivance of signs, the
(5) criteria for the authority of which are internal
coherence, elegance, and depth.

I am a non-native speaker , not able to make sense of what above lines are saying ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
Re: What it means to explain something in science often comes down to [#permalink]
Hi
Could you please explain, Q#3; I don't think answer should be B.
more inclined towards C, because maths describes physical aspects as language does.
As per my understanding of the passage, mathematics can be considered a language because it describes the functioning of some aspect of world.
Also, below excerpt from para 3 gives me the same impression

In science, a mathematical statement may be
(35) taken to account for every aspect of a phenomenon it is
applied to, but, some would argue, there is nothing
inherent in mathematical language that guarantees such
a correspondence. Under this view, acceptance of a
mathematical statement by the scientific community???
(40) by virtue of the statement??? s predictive power or
methodological efficiency???transforms what is
basically an analogy or metaphor into an explanation of
the physical process in question, to be held as true until
another, more compelling analogy takes its place.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32844 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Explanation

3. According to the passage, mathematics can be considered a language because it

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

Even students driven daffy by the middle of the text will hopefully recall that the passage begins with the very definition for which Q. 3 asks, lines 3-4. (B) substitutes “collection” for “contrivance” but is otherwise verbatim.

(A), (E) In theory 2, language is metaphor (lines 38-44), relying on agreed-upon conventions (line 23). But does it define language? No one’s agreed on that, even less on whether mathematics meets that criterion.

(C) is a concept from theory 1, not necessarily relevant to math and certainly not presented as a sheer definition of language.

(D) refers to the way mathematics is used in science, not to what makes math a language. The power to explain is the function and beauty of language but not, insofar as the passage is concerned anyway, its definition.

Answer: B

wickedvikram wrote:
Hi
Could you please explain, Q#3; I don't think answer should be B.
more inclined towards C, because maths describes physical aspects as language does.
As per my understanding of the passage, mathematics can be considered a language because it describes the functioning of some aspect of world.
Also, below excerpt from para 3 gives me the same impression

In science, a mathematical statement may be
(35) taken to account for every aspect of a phenomenon it is
applied to, but, some would argue, there is nothing
inherent in mathematical language that guarantees such
a correspondence. Under this view, acceptance of a
mathematical statement by the scientific community???
(40) by virtue of the statement??? s predictive power or
methodological efficiency???transforms what is
basically an analogy or metaphor into an explanation of
the physical process in question, to be held as true until
another, more compelling analogy takes its place.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Apple Inc
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Saupayan: Mazumdar
Concentration: Economics, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GRE 1: Q170 V160
GPA: 3.89
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
VirFortis wrote:
This is how I understood it -The option B talks about the elegance of the words which more precisely means if they are the best words to express the statement. But that's not what is asked.

The question states that the "ball is red" is held as truth so why are the linguists compelled to do that - because the language speakers have attributed the words to the physical object and that there is no possible alternative to those words. Hence A stands as a good reason.

B - doesn't provide a reason why "ball is red" is accepted as truth instead it says that because synonyms are not elegant enough, they accept this, which assumes that 'elegance' plays a role in this decision making - which is not discussed in the passage.

All in all, You can unravel the meaning and peel off the layers of information based on your personal perspectives and you won't be wrong. That's what we are programmed to do and that's how the world work - we add our perspectives to the context to give wholesome reasoning to the ideas we encounter but IMO, in GMAT's constraints filled to-the-text world, we should stick as close to the text of the passage as possible and don't overthink it. When I did this question and read option B - My question was -"is elegance a factor for choosing a specific word?" - not mentioned in the passage and A seemed a more close to the passage answer and hence I selected that.

Hopefully, if I have not confused you more, this helps.

Please provide Kudos, if helpful.

rickyah wrote:

See line 25 - 32:

Posted from my mobile device

I am totally with you on this one. I picked the same answer as you did. For the exact same reasons.
And I am still not convinced the OA (option A) is correct. Even if it is, no one has given a correct explanation for it.
According to view 2: no statement is necessarily true. It is true only till there is a promising alternative.
"A more elegant way" is a promising alternative.

Also, if we are being strict about the exact words used in the options here, option A doesn't use "agreed upon"
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts