GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 09:13

LIVE NOW!

How to Manage Stress and Anxiety on the GMAT - Live Chat.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

What percentage loss will a merchant incur if he marks his goods up by

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
What percentage loss will a merchant incur if he marks his goods up by  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Nov 2014, 09:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (01:51) correct 26% (02:05) wrong based on 102 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

What percentage loss will a merchant incur if he marks his goods up by x% over his cost price and then offers a discount of x% on his selling price?

A. 0 %
B. 2x/100 %
C. x^2/100 %
D. x %
E. 2x %

Originally posted by jgk on 04 Nov 2014, 05:19.
Last edited by jgk on 04 Nov 2014, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Status: I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: What percentage loss will a merchant incur if he marks his goods up by  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2014, 08:58
jgk wrote:
What percentage loss will a merchant incur if he marks his goods up by x% over his cost price and then offers a discount of x% on his selling price?

A. 0 %
B. 2x/100 %
C. x^2/100 %
D. x %
E. 2x %

Answer is C.

Taking smart numbers:

Let, C.P = 100$ and X = 20% over C.P

then Mark Up = 120$

After discount of X%

S.P= 80% of 120
S.P = 96$

Therefore Loss is 4$ and hence Loss in % = 4%

Plugging numbers in options.
A. 0 % ---------------------------Not true because loss is 4%

B. 2x/100 % --------------------2*20/100 = 0.4%. Hence Not True

C. x^2/100 % ------------------ 20^2/100 = 4%. True

D. x % --------------------------- 20%. Hence Not True

E. 2x % -------------------------- 2*20 = 40%. Hence Not True

please provide the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
Re: What percentage loss will a merchant incur if he marks his goods up by  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2014, 09:32
Hi Ashishmathew01081987 I also agree with your approach. The OA is C indeed!!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2014, 15:15
Ashish's method is a very efficient one; I recommend taking advantage of the answer choices and multiple choice format whenever possible. Well done!

I'll add a little bit of math background, since I know that many students prefer to understand the underlying mathematics.

The question asks for the loss suffered by the author. That is to say, subtract from 100% the final percentage price after applying the x% markup. and the x% discount.

To find the price after the x% markup and x% discount, multiply: [1 + (x / 100)] * [1 - (x / 100)].

This equation looks a little messy, but it's actually a classic quadratic. (a + b) (a - b) = a^2 - b^2. So, the multiplier for the sale price is:
[1 - (x/100)^2]

Multiply by 100% to convert to percent, then subtract from 100%, to determine the loss:
100% - [1 - (x/100)^2] * 100%
100% - 100% - [(x^2) / 100]%
(x^2)/100 is the answer.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2014, 02:39
Actually in such problems, whenever we add x% & then subtract x% from values, we end back in a quadratic equation>>

Original Price >> 100

Add x% >> x

Total >> 100+x

Subtract x% >> \((100+x)* \frac{x}{100}\)

Here quadratic equation starts............

Coming back to the problem....

In the OA given, only quadratic option given is C

Answer = C

Had there been more addition of x%, discount of x%, power of x would increase.....................

It may not be applicable here directly, however there is a formula for liquid displacement from where I took hint in solving this......

\(Final Concentration = Initial Concentration ( 1 - \frac{replace}{Total})^{Number of replacements}\)

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 14:41
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: What percentage loss will a merchant incur if he marks his goods up by &nbs [#permalink] 01 Apr 2018, 14:41

What percentage loss will a merchant incur if he marks his goods up by

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap