GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 09 Apr 2020, 23:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

what's my chance with Duke and others

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34
WE: Corporate Finance (Telecommunications)
what's my chance with Duke and others  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2013, 03:36
Hi,

Thanks for openning this post.

I am applying for Duke ER, which is pretty much my only focus at this stage. After compeleting my duke application (deadline on Sep 18), I plan to apply for a couple of other MBA programs, such as GWU and Vanderbilt, or any other choices you might suggest attainable based on my credentials.

Toefl: 106
GMAT:Q51 V34, 700(another try scheduled on Aug 21)
Education: BS in Accounting, tier 2 university in China;Ranked 2nd out of 230 students ;Grade>85 out of 100
Qualification: Non-practicing member of the Chinese Institute of Certified Public Accountants (CICPA)

WE: 5 yrs to date; first 3 yrs in a big 4 audit, with Standard Performance Plus rating (top 5%);
2 yrs till now wokring in a leading ICT solution provider from China. My responsibilities are that of a product manager for trade finance and also an Account manager for HSBC, Barlays and RBS.

Little community service experience worths to mention. I am really concerned about this shortage!

Short-term goal: Management Consulting( I had exposure to 2 strategic planning projects in my current company advised by HSBC, these experience really lead me to the decision of a MBA)
Long-term goal: start e-commence business to market agriculture products in China; establish and execute my Countryside Liberary Plan to cultivate reading habits among countryside students and to provide them with greater access to books(or ebooks) .

BTW, I am a country girl. Studying aroad has been like a dream of me for years. Now I think it's time to go for it after I have fulfilled my parents' dream( an apartment in town:).

Thanks again!
VP
VP
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Re: what's my chance with Duke and others  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2013, 16:30
Your stat is within the range for Fuqua, maybe a bit on the lower side for Chinese admits. The key piece of application you need to fully flush out on is your short term goal, and how it fits into your long term goal.

I would challenge you to talk with people who have worked in management consulting to understand the types of work that they do. Understand how difficult or easy it is for international students to place into US office. And if you want to return to China, understand the consulting opportunities in China. Understand the exit opportunities from consulting.

Admission Committee is looking for applicants with ambition, intellectual horse power, and strong direct of post-MBA career. Their hopes are that these qualities translate into a students who will land a great job, which in turn attract more great students.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34
WE: Corporate Finance (Telecommunications)
Re: what's my chance with Duke and others  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2013, 19:36
asimov wrote:
Your stat is within the range for Fuqua, maybe a bit on the lower side for Chinese admits. The key piece of application you need to fully flush out on is your short term goal, and how it fits into your long term goal.

I would challenge you to talk with people who have worked in management consulting to understand the types of work that they do. Understand how difficult or easy it is for international students to place into US office. And if you want to return to China, understand the consulting opportunities in China. Understand the exit opportunities from consulting.

Admission Committee is looking for applicants with ambition, intellectual horse power, and strong direct of post-MBA career. Their hopes are that these qualities translate into a students who will land a great job, which in turn attract more great students.

Thank you Asimov.

In the first 3 years post-MBA, I want to work in US to get immersed in American culture and life. I guess there should be a balance between" aim high" and "be practical". MC is my best shot. I strive to develop a special focus on e-commence consulting if possible, in order to fast accumulate my industry knowledge and experience. I understand it's competitive, especial so for a Chinese, to break into a leading MC firm. Does it at least worth trying,even at the risk of sounding impractical? Plan B is to further my career in general mangement in a leading e-commerce enterprise. Either way, I aim to work my way towards my long-term goal in starting my own business. I had a little tast of it when I opened a Taobao shop in 2010. One thing to add, my career transfer to trade finance from audit in late 2011 also fall with in this trajectory. Is this career goal persuasive enough in the eyes of adcoms? what should I do to put together a more persuasing story?

I have little connection with MBAs known from work or life, so I turn to school website and GMAT club for information, which is far from adequate, I guess. A Duke information session is held in my city on mid Aug, hope I will find out more there.

Thanks again!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: what's my chance with Duke and others   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2013, 19:36

what's my chance with Duke and others

new topic post reply Update application status