Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6042 [4]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [3]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [1]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [1]
Send PM
Re: [u]What seemed as remarkable as the medieval invention of [#permalink]
Kudos
pqhai wrote:
Hi Zarrolou.
Thank you. Last dumb question :)
The rule of thumb is that we NEVER put verbs after comparison words such as than, as. Verbs must be placed after nouns.?
For example:
- I have more books than you do --> correct.
- I have more books than do you --> incorrect.
Thanks again.

Generally speaking you're correct.
In my expreience "you do" in this order is prefered to "do you" in every case. But I would not discard a "do you" option straightaway beacuse of the order of the words: if it is against a "you do" option no doubt about who's the winner, but I don't want to give you a rule to discard a "do you" just because of the reversed order.

In my MGMAT SC book and others SC books, I don't remember any "I have more books than do you " phrase, but I don't remeber either a rule such as " we NEVER put verbs after comparison words such as than".

Hope this helps!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Zarrolou wrote:
What seemed as remarkable as the medieval invention of playing cards are the thousands upon thousands of unique games that are shared by a worldwide audience.

we can easily eliminate C D and E. C uses the past perfect (not necessary and badly used), D has an awkward idiom (nonetheless remarkable than) and E uses a wrong idiom:
"as remawkable as the thousands" would be correct, the are makes it wrong.

C The concept that had been as remarkable as the medieval invention of playing cards
D The medieval invention of playing cards has been nonetheless remarkable than
E Medieval invention of playing cards was just as remarkable as (are)

A and B remain. In A seemed in incomplete, a "to be" is necessary : what seemed to be is the correct form. B wins

A What seemed as remarkable as the medieval invention of playing cards
B No less remarkable than the medieval invention of playing cards

Hope it's clear

Hi Zarrolou.
I have a quick question, can I place "are" after "thousands...." and delete the relative clause "that are........".
The sentence would be "Medieval invention of playing cards was just as remarkable as the thousand.....games are".
Is this structure ok? or we MUST delete "are".
Thanks
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Zarrolou wrote:
pqhai wrote:
Hi Zarrolou.
I have a quick question, can I place "are" after "thousands...." and delete the relative clause "that are........".
The sentence would be "Medieval invention of playing cards was just as remarkable as the thousand.....games are".
Is this structure ok? or we MUST delete "are".
Thanks

The sentence "Medieval invention of playing cards was just as remarkable as the thousand upon thousands of unique games are" (I just complited yours), looks good to me. (Even if its meaning is debatable :) ...)
The idiom "as remarkable as" is correctly used in this case, and the sentence keeps a parallel structure "invention was (...) games are".
Looks fine

Hi Zarrolou.
Thank you. Last dumb question :)
The rule of thumb is that we NEVER put verbs after comparison words such as than, as. Verbs must be placed after nouns.?
For example:
- I have more books than you do --> correct.
- I have more books than do you --> incorrect.
Thanks again.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 509 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Zarrolou wrote:
A and B remain. In A seemed in incomplete, a "to be" is necessary : what seemed to be is the correct form. B wins

This is contrary to the truth.
"It seems remarkable" is preferred to "It seems to be remarkable".
The use of idiom "as remarkable as" is fully correct in this sentence. The sentence is wrong for other reason:
What seemed as remarkable as the medieval invention of playing cards are the thousands upon thousands of unique games that are shared by a worldwide audience.
This sentence would be correct if "seemed" were "seems".
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [0]
Send PM
HumptyDumpty wrote:
The use of idiom "as remarkable as" is fully correct in this sentence. The sentence is wrong for other reason:

Hi HumptyDumpty,

the correct usage of "seem" requires the following form "seem + infinite". The problem is not the past tense, but in the sentence "What seemed as remarkable as the medieval invention of playing cards" seem has no infinite form that completes the idiom.

You may wanna take a look here it's a list of idioms by GmatPill. I've found also these lists ( 1 2 ) on our forum.
Just a quick example that you can find there "seem + infinitive : Ambulance expenses seem to discourage patients from calling 911".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 788 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Re: What seemed as remarkable as the medieval invention of [#permalink]
Please read and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.

Locked the topic as it is duplicate post.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 509 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Zarrolou wrote:
HumptyDumpty wrote:

Hi HumptyDumpty,

the correct usage of "seem" requires the following form "seem + infinite". The problem is not the past tense, but in the sentence "What seemed as remarkable as the medieval invention of playing cards" seem has no infinite form that completes the idiom.

You may wanna take a look here it's a list of idioms by GmatPill. I've found also these lists ( 1 2 ) on our forum.
Just a quick example that you can find there "seem + infinitive : Ambulance expenses seem to discourage patients from calling 911".

Zarrolou,
Zarrolou wrote:
the correct usage of "seem" requires the following form "seem + infinite".

"Seem" calls for infinitive always when it is followed by verb. However, it would be very limiting to the language to constrain "seem" to precede only verbs. This is a correct but not the only one idiom. In A) we see "seem" followed by comparison that is indeed correct. Moreover, "to be" between "seem" and adjective is not welcome.

GMAT idiom lists cannot be "more true" than dictionaries issued by Oxford or Cambridge. These lists are somehow handy for memorizing most common GMAT idioms. However, they are extracted from full dictionary entries and compiled just by smart students, not by English language authorities who regulate the language. If you look deeper, you will find out that such lists are not all too reliable.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts