GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 May 2020, 03:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

What should be my next step

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
What should be my next step  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2016, 03:32
Hello Everyone,

I want to discuss my Quant prep and understand if I am going in right direction. This is how I have prepared so far.

1. Completed theory of all the chapters from GMAT Club Mathbook.
2. Completed all the Quant questions from OG 16 and Quant Review.
3. Analyzed all the wrong questions and those questions which took more time to solve.
4. Analyzed my weak areas - revised concepts again from GMAT Club Mathbook and solved more questions from GMAT Club --- Still In Progress

--- My accuracy was 70% for questions from OG and Quant Review.
--- I took diagnostic test before my prep and scored Q45

My next plan of action for Quant Prep.

1. Start working on 25 test series of GMAT Club.
2. Analyze my weak areas and focus on those areas.
3. Take complete mock CAT and analyze Quant questions from those mocks as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my plan to prepare myself for Quant.

After official questions, is it advisable to jump directly to GMAT Club Test series for Quants?
Am I missing anything here?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: What should be my next step  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2016, 10:30
ggmat007 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I want to discuss my Quant prep and understand if I am going in right direction. This is how I have prepared so far.

1. Completed theory of all the chapters from GMAT Club Mathbook.
2. Completed all the Quant questions from OG 16 and Quant Review.
3. Analyzed all the wrong questions and those questions which took more time to solve.
4. Analyzed my weak areas - revised concepts again from GMAT Club Mathbook and solved more questions from GMAT Club --- Still In Progress

--- My accuracy was 70% for questions from OG and Quant Review.
--- I took diagnostic test before my prep and scored Q45

My next plan of action for Quant Prep.

1. Start working on 25 test series of GMAT Club.
2. Analyze my weak areas and focus on those areas.
3. Take complete mock CAT and analyze Quant questions from those mocks as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my plan to prepare myself for Quant.

After official questions, is it advisable to jump directly to GMAT Club Test series for Quants?
Am I missing anything here?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear ggmat007,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, everything you are doing sounds good. As long as you giving due attention to the problems you missed and learning from your mistakes, then you are getting the most from these problems. I'll suggest one more resource:
NOVA GMAT Math Prep Course
That's just a bank of practice problem for folks who want to binge on math practice.

You are already strong on Quant and you are doing everything correctly to strengthen your Quant level even further. This makes me a little curious about how you are doing on the Verbal side. I will suggest this study plan:
3 Month GMAT Study Schedule (Verbal Focused)
This plan is designed for folks strong in Quant and weaker on Verbal. It has a ton of math practice to keep the Quant skills sharp, as well as significant resources to boost one's Verbal performance.

Here are a few more blogs you may find interesting:
Advanced (Non-Calculator!) Factoring on the GMAT
GMAT Advanced Probability Problems
Challenging Coordinate Geometry Practice Questions
Challenging GMAT Problems with Exponents and Roots

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Mike :-)

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2016, 11:19
I agree with Mike. If you scored Q45, and if that's accurate to what you'd be able to achieve on test day, then you're almost certainly in a position where Verbal is more valuable to you than Quant, score-wise. Even if you're at a higher percentile on Verbal than you are on Quant, you can probably still glean more points from Verbal.

That's because of the way that percentile scoring works, and because of certain characteristics of the population that takes the test - there are a huge number of students who do very well on Quant, but relatively few students who do very well on Verbal. (Think about how many non-native English speakers take the GMAT, and how many of them aren't very comfortable with English grammar or reading, but are excellent at mathematics.) So a high Verbal score does more to differentiate you from the overall body of test-takers than a high Quant sore does, which means that when your overall score is calculated, a high Verbal will likely do you more good.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep | Online tutoring and curriculum

My latest GMAT blog posts | My latest GRE blog posts | Suggestions for blog articles are always welcome!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2016, 03:56
Thank you Mike and ccooley for your response.

I already have a plan in place for Verbal. I am going with E-GMAT Verbal Live Prep Course which will also give access to 25 GMAT Club tests.

I will now focus more on Verbal and solve GMAT Club Quant tests so that not only I remain in touch with Quant but also keep on improving my Quant skills.

After 1.5-2 months, I will shift my energy in solving complete mock tests to build stamina and again to figure out my weak areas and target those. My plan is to purchase - GMATPrep® Exam Collection and I will book my exam date upon seeing good result in the 4 tests of GMATPrep® Exam Collection. So that's the overall plan.

Thanks
Gaurav
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2016, 08:48
Sounds like a plan! Don't think you have to take too many practice tests - just a warning. I've seen a fair number of students wear themselves out taking practice GMATs when they could've spent less time and energy studying in a more focused/productive way. My typical recommendation is to do one every two or three weeks. That's because the best reasons to take a practice test are:

- you think something has changed (because you've decided to try something different with your timing, you've done a lot of targeted study of a particular weakness or weaknesses, etc.) and you want to find out how it affected your score;
- you want to practice the 'test day mindset', stamina (which you mention in your post) etc.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep | Online tutoring and curriculum

My latest GMAT blog posts | My latest GRE blog posts | Suggestions for blog articles are always welcome!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2016, 09:06
Thank you ccooley once again for your cool advise.
It will sound funny but still I would tell you that I have a plan as well to ensure I do not wear myself out with too much of gmating and that is to take a break for couple of days and completely forget about the GMAT world.
I am going to take your advise very seriously. Thanks a lot once again.
Cheers :-)

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: What should be my next step   [#permalink] 23 May 2016, 09:06

What should be my next step

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics