It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 11:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What should i do now

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 580 Q45 V28
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
What should i do now [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 19:42
Hello guys. Now that i have given my gmat exam i would like to share my experience.
I gave my first gmat on 14th September, and was devastated by my score.. I could score 580 (q45 v25)
While my quant was decent i know where i lagged behind, few topics to understand clearly and high level questions.
But i am devasted by my verbal score. I did everything they said, read thoroughly all the Manhatten ebooks, practiced entire OG, regularly reviewed online forums. I dont know what went wrong. I need to reapply but I dont have a sound strategy on what i shoud do next and how do i proceed.Even My Mock score was higher than my actual score. :(
Something somwhere went terribly wrong.
I need to take a step back. I think only self study wasn't sufficient enough. I may need help, a solid plan. I work in shifts in a chemical plant and get as much time as i can to study. My timings are haywire because of my job. But i mamage that somehow.
What should i do next, how do i proceed. Have i exhausted my opitions?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: What should i do now [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 02:40
The main issue is you need to find out why did your score debacle even after a better score in mocks. May be you were too nervous that day or you were too tired or you did not take GMAT Prep tests to get an actual answer of your ability.
I think you need to take things in a very structured manner.

I would suggest you the following:

1. Go through OG once again; the guide deserves it. I have read many debriefs in which successful candidates have mentioned going through OG at least twice. I hope you go through their solution all the time, even if you have got a question right you should go through the whole of official explanation. To add to official material you can also try, official quant and verbal reviews. The main issue is to find out what went wrong so for that take a mock GMAT Prep test. If you still score much better in this test than 580 then it means you did not keep your nerves during the actual exam. To solve this problem you should practice more questions.

2. Quant - you seem to have an average score in this. I have heard very highly of GMAT Club tests. You can try them. They seem to be sufficient for practice with 1500+ questions. This course would fine tune your quant.

3. Verbal - If you have been getting below 30 or lower 30s in verbal almost all the times, then I would suggest you to take up a professional course because to improve in verbal you need to have a very disciplined structure. I would suggest you egmat for this (I have been using the course too). You can signup for their trial account and can view free webinars.

4. First get a structured plan then only periodically give mock tests. The purpose of mocks is to prepare you for the long exam duration and help you in figuring out a good strategy for yourself. Don't take their test scores very seriously (except those of GMAT Prep) but always see what kind of questions are you getting wrong for eg if you lack in concept of modifiers and get confused in word problems, then specifically do that kind of questions on gmatclub forums.

I hope it helps.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 25

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 54

Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GRE 1: 319 Q170 V149
WE: Education (Non-Profit and Government)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 02:54
youmanjee wrote:
Hello guys. Now that i have given my gmat exam i would like to share my experience.
I gave my first gmat on 14th September, and was devastated by my score.. I could score 580 (q45 v25)
While my quant was decent i know where i lagged behind, few topics to understand clearly and high level questions.
But i am devasted by my verbal score. I did everything they said, read thoroughly all the Manhatten ebooks, practiced entire OG, regularly reviewed online forums. I dont know what went wrong. I need to reapply but I dont have a sound strategy on what i shoud do next and how do i proceed.Even My Mock score was higher than my actual score. :(
Something somwhere went terribly wrong.
I need to take a step back. I think only self study wasn't sufficient enough. I may need help, a solid plan. I work in shifts in a chemical plant and get as much time as i can to study. My timings are haywire because of my job. But i mamage that somehow.
What should i do next, how do i proceed. Have i exhausted my opitions?

You need to brush up your concepts. For verbal, you can try egmat. It caters to students who are weak in verbal.
Always stick to the official questions, Try to complete your OG twice. For additional practise, you can buy the Gmatprep question packs and mocks.
Most important: Once you start getting hang of all the concepts, please attempt all your questions under strict timed conditions.

Canadian Bschools: Detailed comparison
Resume Guides

If you found my post helpful, kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :) ..TIA

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 54

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3511 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 11:57
Hi youmanjee,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3511 [0], given: 173

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 73 [1], given: 419

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.48
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 09:37
This post received
KUDOS
Well

The question is how long do you have and how much effort with you be able to put in your preparation for GMAT?
I had your same problem and after the second try i realized there was something wrong with my verbal preparation. Despite countless hours i put, my score came down.
Therefore, i went back to my basic and used only official materials for practice, and those questions that i couldn't solve correctly,i searched internet for them, watch a couple of videos offered by Ron and read where was i going wrong. I can say i practice over 600 SC GMAT Prep questions and it helped me to get my SC to 42 and higher as well as my CR to 39 and higher. Right now, i am working on my RC to improve to at least 35 or higher so i can secure a 40 or higher on my GMAT. My last try V was 39.
I hope if you have time and follow the same path, it will be helpful.

Kudos [?]: 73 [1], given: 419

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 138

Schools: AGSM '19
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25
GPA: 3.6
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 05:25
I think you just had a bad day or a streak of luck.

Go back and revise once again, especially from the official material and if possible, do the practice from the GMAT Prep material.

Brushing up basics in SC & CR will also help. For RC, practice from any decent source of Qns should be good enough.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 138

Re: What should i do now   [#permalink] 25 Sep 2017, 05:25

What should i do now

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: EMPOWERgmatRichC, ydmuley, bb

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap