Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
GMAT 1: 480 Q48 V9
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72872 [0]
Given Kudos: 18859
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Send PM
Re: What should i follow ? 1st attempt: 480 [#permalink]
Kudos
Which practice tests were you taking? Some have said that MGMAT's practice verbal is much easier than the real GMAT's verbal. Go to MBA.com, download GMATPrep, and use that. I am a firm believer that the best preparation for verbal, especially critical reasoning, is official material from GMAC. I would suggest getting their vebal guide too.

Which area of verbal are you struggling in?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all,
Need of desperate help.
I want to bookmy date again for second attempt by july.But till now am not sure how to start practice again.
What should i follow materials and schedule.
I have OG and have enrolled to MGMAT practice test series.
I am bit weak in RC and CR.
Please help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: ISB '15
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
soumyaranjandash wrote:
Hi all,
Need of desperate help.
I want to bookmy date again for second attempt by july.But till now am not sure how to start practice again.
What should i follow materials and schedule.
I have OG and have enrolled to MGMAT practice test series.
I am bit weak in RC and CR.
Please help.

Hi,

May be you can try as listed out below :

1. Conceptual Clarity - Month 1

You have got just a little over four months of time to prepare for GMAT if you intend to retake the GMAT again in July. Its time you invest in reviewing your verbal concepts.

For SC :

Read the First 10 chapters from Mgmat SC guide again along with end of chapter problems. Also go through all of "Thursdays with Ron" SC videos. You can start by reviewing 2 chapters and two videos a day !

What to Focus on ? :

Meaning and meaning all the way. Refer to these articles from stacey koprince and others :

For CR :

Review Power score CR again. May be 1-2 chapters a day. Invest time in end of the chapter problems in CR book. They are so good and fall in 650 - 700 level and reinforce the concepts well. Do a set of ten SC problems from The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2nd Edition every day along with Power score CR review and maintain an error log. I will discuss more about error log at the end.

What to Focus on ? :

- Once you complete the Power score revision, do read errors of reasoning from this -> https://www.powerscore.com/crbible/flt_1.cfm This takes you a long way in understanding and dissecting the reasoning presented in a CR question.

- Always identify Conclusion and premises that support the conclusion (the main premise). Read in between the lines to understand the reasoning. An general idea about some common reasoning errors will help you a lot here. This way, helps you to predict the assumptions quickly. For question types such as bold face, Complete the passage (fill in the blank) type questions refer to a supplement material. I would suggest Manhattan CR guide fifth edition for these topics.

For RC :

- The best course for RC for non natives would be e-gmat! Enroll in e-gmat RC course and rely completely on it.

- Do a set of ten CR problems from The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2nd Edition every day as you go through e-gmat RC.

- Make sure you read one or two articles from Nytimes or WS Journal everyday.

2. Practice official sources - Month 2

1. After reviewing verbal concepts and dealing with OG or Verbal review 2nd edition, Move on to Gmat prep Question pack 1. It gives you good amount of questions to practice and actually resemble the standard of actual GMAT.

2. Assess you performance using GMAT Prep tests.
    Take Gmat prep test 1 and test 2.
    Repeat each test again (very few or no repeated questions)

Some Reasons & Recommendations to get over Low Verbal Score :

1. There might be a series of errors (especially for RC, where we can get all 3 RC questions related to a passage completely wrong and it just degrades our score.)

2. You might have ended up a lot of errors in RC and CR ! But who knows you might have equally tumbled in SC, as there is more emphasis on logic and meaning in SC rather than mere grammar rules. For e.g. If you never learnt about a specific idiom, you may still arrive at the right answer by eliminating all wrong answers based on the sentence's logic and by identifying other major errors. An idiom is just a way to encapsulate a correct answer choice and tempt you to focus on the right idiom. Instead rely on meaning / logic of the sentence and major errors ( 7 major errors like parallelism, Comparisons, Modifiers, Pronouns, Sub Verb Agreement, verb tenses e.t.c)

3. POE (Process of Elimination) is the most recommended method in fact the only way to arrive at a correct answer in GMAT verbal.

4. Go through this excellent GMAT Prep and GMAT prep Verbal Analysis Thread at gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html.

How to Maintain an Error Log:

1. This is the most important part of Verbal Analysis. Since you are almost done with OG, I suggested you to use The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2nd Edition . You can replace with either OG 12 (Most of these questions might have been erased from your memory since you did them a long back) or OG 13 ( has some new questions)

2. Make a set of 10 problems in the following manner.
    1 11 21 31 41 51 61 71 81 91 101 111 121 ... (all problems ending with 1)
    2 12 22 32 42 52 62 72 82 92 102 112 122 ... (all problems ending with 2) and so on.. This ensures a single set encompasses all levels of difficulty (easy, medium and hard)

3. Most importantly, Use the error log to identify your area of weakness. Review even those questions you got right. Understand why a particular choice is correct and why all other choices are wrong. Thoroughly analyse all five choices of a given question (SC, CR or RC). This improves your POE skills.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts