Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64892 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [1]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Re: What time to take the test? [#permalink]
Kudos
We actually have a thread on snacks during the GMAT. The best thing for you to do, though, is to adapt to the 12:00 PM test schedule. Try to time your meals accordingly to accommodate for this (maybe two smaller meals in the morning instead of one larger one, etc.). And definitely take your practice CAT's at this time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
This helped me while I was prearing for a different exam, but for 2/3 weeks or so, do your CATS (may be 2 a week) at the same time as the D-day, you will be amazed how your mind and body adapt to the habit!
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Well, if 8am doesn't work, and noon doesn't work, then that only leaves one option right?

Or you could try to figure out why the 12pm-1:30pm gap is bad for you. Are you saying you could sleep til 10am the morning of the test and still hit a wall when the test starts at noon?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
emont,thanks for your reply.
I never sleep beyond 8 AM, so that's not a problem but the problem is I Start feeling hungry around,12 PM, that time :lol: So I need to serve myself lunch around that time and then my mind 'shuts off' for some time after lunch... May be changing my daily schedule wil help?
8 am is definitely out of question for me, I'm not even fully awake by then...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
you still have quite a bit of time until march.
i would try to do full-length practice exams starting at 12 leading up to the test
this should help train your mind
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
no good time to take the GMAT! you just get up and do it... it's never gonna be first thing on your list of great things to do with your day. :shock:
Banned
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Does anybody have any data on the average score of each time slot? THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, AS I DON'T WANT TO PICK THE WRONG TIME SLOT AND MAKE A 370 OR SOMETHING.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
southernstunna wrote:
Does anybody have any data on the average score of each time slot? THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, AS I DON'T WANT TO PICK THE WRONG TIME SLOT AND MAKE A 370 OR SOMETHING.

I'm sure there is data on this, but what makes you think this may apply to you? I mean just because the average score after 4pm is around the high 600's doesn't necessary mean you'll have a higher chance of getting a high 600 score. Just my opinion. And I'm sure if you're taking the GMAT you have already been through school, know your study habits, and whether you are a morning or evening person. I would use that experience to schedule my test time.
Banned
Send PM
AMUSE wrote:
southernstunna wrote:

I'm sure there is data on this, but what makes you think this may apply to you? I mean just because the average score after 4pm is around the high 600's doesn't necessary mean you'll have a higher chance of getting a high 600 score. Just my opinion. And I'm sure if you're taking the GMAT you have already been through school, know your study habits, and whether you are a morning or evening person. I would use that experience to schedule my test time.

ha I am kidding brah...obviously this is completely ludicrous. It does not matter when you take the test. Get up a few hours before, chug a pot of coffee and go take the thing. Who cares if you get the 8AM slot or the noon slot.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
southernstunna wrote:
AMUSE wrote:
southernstunna wrote:

ha I am kidding brah...obviously this is completely ludicrous. It does not matter when you take the test. Get up a few hours before, chug a pot of coffee and go take the thing. Who cares if you get the 8AM slot or the noon slot.

southernstunna,I was actually really worried about test time especially if it was the early morning time slots. That slot did affect my score by may be 10-20 points, although I cannot really blame it :| for my terrible performance on my last GMAT. So,wanted to get all the 'small things in place' and have only my strategies to blame if I underperform this time too :-)
Banned
Send PM
I honestly did not even know there was an evening slot. Weird.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
For most people, one or the other slot works best. I would not go for the evening slot if possible since I would feel the pressure of an important test throughout the day. Early morning would be painful since I would have to wake up very early. So if someone were to ask which slot is most appropriate in my opinion, I would say 12 noon too... Though if you did not have an option, you would not think about it and just focus on the test. I suggest you do just that. I believe that in the actual scheme of things, the slot doesn't matter. If you take an exam at the time you feel works best for you, it's just a psychological advantage for your frayed nerves.

Though, keeping hunger at bay is important. You wouldn't feel it in the beginning of the test but in the later part, you will be exhausted and then you may start losing patience if you are hungry too. My suggestion would be to take a decent breakfast around 9 and then a light snack before your test. Carry a light snack to munch on during Quant-Verbal break too.

Thanks. I have taken 2 tests in the last 2 weeks at the same time and on the same day as my real GMAT. I think this time is working well for me :) .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
desiaggie1980 wrote:
This helped me while I was prearing for a different exam, but for 2/3 weeks or so, do your CATS (may be 2 a week) at the same time as the D-day, you will be amazed how your mind and body adapt to the habit!

I followed this and am now at peace about my test timing :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
bmillan01 wrote:
We actually have a thread on snacks during the GMAT. The best thing for you to do, though, is to adapt to the 12:00 PM test schedule. Try to time your meals accordingly to accommodate for this (maybe two smaller meals in the morning instead of one larger one, etc.). And definitely take your practice CAT's at this time.

Yes, I did take my practice tests at this time and I'm pleasantly surprised that this time is working for me. I need to work around the meals plan though...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Thats great, I am myself in a big dilemma, what time would be perfect. I am going to take a date for first week of sept, and will have to take date in march start, considering all slots in bay area get taken up very quickly!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
desiaggie1980 wrote:
Thats great, I am myself in a big dilemma, what time would be perfect. I am going to take a date for first week of sept, and will have to take date in march start, considering all slots in bay area get taken up very quickly!

I am in the New York area and here, it is said, that we need to book slots atleast 2 months in advance to be sure of the time/date that we want.
So,it wuld be a good idea for you too, to book early and then prepare yourself for that time.
I know that some people may have found this post of mine very trivial (how does the time matter???!!!) but, this did AFFECT me largely since being a strict non-morning person, I took the test at 8 AM only to realize that I had not yet 'woken' up fully :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
8am is too early for me too! :) I even postponed taking the exam a month later because they only had 8am available for the month I wanted to test. I settled on 10:30am in May.

You have time to train your body and brain to work for you... :) Take practice tests at the same time your actual GMAT is going to be. Eat meals and snacks at the same intervals you would on test day. When I first took the GMAT, I had the same concerns as you! My appointment was at 2pm, right when my body starts to crash after lunch. About two weeks before the test, I started eating small snacks for lunch, instead of my usual meal. It helped me avoid the crash! However, on test day, I got so nervous, I barely got a bite down at breakfast and didn't end up eating any snacks during the test breaks! I wasn't tired though! :)

Good luck with your exam!
GMAT Club Bot