Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Fractions/Ratios/Decimalsx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618785 [24]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618785 [6]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [2]
Given Kudos: 24
Schools: AGSM '21
GMAT Date: 04-01-2014
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618785 [2]
Send PM
Re: What was the ratio of the number of cars to the number of trucks produ [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
lalania1 wrote:
on stmt1, can you talk more about the logic, i feel like mechanically i can do it. but i want to know more, if you can add some color to stmt1 logic would be great.
thanks!

(1) Last year, if the number of cars produced by Company X had been 8 percent greater, the number of cars produced would have been 150 percent of the number of trucks produced by Company X:

Say, last year, 100 cars were produced. We are told that, if the number of cars produced had been 8 percent greater, so if there were 108 cars produced instead of 100, then this 108 cars would have been 150% of the number of trucks produced: 108 =1.5*(trucks) --> (trucks) = 72.

Ratio = 100/72 = 25/18. The same as 1.5/1.08 = 25/18.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Re: What was the ratio of the number of cars to the number of trucks produ [#permalink]
S1: Let no. of cars = x & no. of trucks = y
We're given, 1.08x=150% of y
We can easily calculate x/y or y/x.Sufficient.

S2: We're given the no. of cars and trucks.We can simply find the ratio.Sufficient.

Ans.D
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618785 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
SOLUTION

What was the ratio of the number of cars to the number of trucks produced by Company X last year?

(1) Last year, if the number of cars produced by Company X had been 8 percent greater, the number of cars produced would have been 150 percent of the number of trucks produced by Company X:

(cars)*1.08 = 1.5*(trucks);
(cars)/(trucks) = 1.5/1.08.

Sufficient.

(2) Last year Company X produced 565,000 cars and 406,800 trucks: (cars)/(trucks) = 565,000/406,800. Sufficient.

Answer: D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 241 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
on stmt1, can you talk more about the logic, i feel like mechanically i can do it. but i want to know more, if you can add some color to stmt1 logic would be great.
thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
lalania1 wrote:
thanks!

Say, last year, 100 cars were produced. We are told that, if the number of cars produced had been 8 percent greater, so if there were 108 cars produced instead of 100, then this 108 cars would have been 150% of the number of trucks produced: 108 =1.5*(trucks) --> (trucks) = 72.

Ratio = 100/72 = 25/18. The same as 1.5/1.08 = 25/18.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

This is kinda off topic but I require your guidance.

Almost all the OG question are either below 600 level or 600 level questions.

So is going through the MGMAT 9 book set and the OG questions enough to secure a 700+ score or should I refer to a book which has a collection of question of
700+ level.

TIA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Hi All -

I'm having trouble understanding how this is sufficient:

(1) Last year, if the number of cars produced by Company X had been 8 percent greater, the number of cars produced would have been 150 percent of the number of trucks produced by Company X.

I understand that if cars produced were 8 percent greater, (Cars)*(1.08) = (Trucks)*(1.50). But doesn't that only tell us what the ratio would have been if the production WAS 8 percent greater? What does that tell us about the ratio of cars:trucks if the car production is what is currently (at 100%)?

I'm in my preliminary study stages, so sorry if this is a remedial question.
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Ironhide25 wrote:
Hi All -

I'm having trouble understanding how this is sufficient:

(1) Last year, if the number of cars produced by Company X had been 8 percent greater, the number of cars produced would have been 150 percent of the number of trucks produced by Company X.

I understand that if cars produced were 8 percent greater, (Cars)*(1.08) = (Trucks)*(1.50). But doesn't that only tell us what the ratio would have been if the production WAS 8 percent greater? What does that tell us about the ratio of cars:trucks if the car production is what is currently (at 100%)?

I'm in my preliminary study stages, so sorry if this is a remedial question.

Hey Ironhide25
As you correctly say, this tells us what would have been. But we can learn from this, using your equation:
(Cars)*(1.08) = (Trucks)*(1.50) ==> Cars/Trucks=1.5/1.08 - that's your answer!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
What was the ratio of the number of cars to the number of trucks produced by Company X last year?

(2) Last year Company X produced 565,000 cars and 406,800 trucks.

Data Sufficiency
Question: 67
Category: Arithmetic Ratio; Percents
Page: 157
Difficulty: 600

The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition

I am often confused by Ratio DS questions as it appears that there are cases where you need an actual number to solve the question while other times (statement 1) we are given percentages. What type of question would make statement 1 NOT SUFFICIENT? I’ve seen questions where there is a vague ratio but in reality, there is only one set of values can satisfy that relationship thus we can determine actual numbers.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
Send PM
bkastan wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(2) Last year Company X produced 565,000 cars and 406,800 trucks.

I am often confused by Ratio DS questions as it appears that there are cases where you need an actual number to solve the question while other times (statement 1) we are given percentages. What type of question would make statement 1 NOT SUFFICIENT? I’ve seen questions where there is a vague ratio but in reality, there is only one set of values can satisfy that relationship thus we can determine actual numbers.

Posted from my mobile device

bkastan, this question is asking about the ratio of cars to trucks. Hence a percentage or a ratio that expresses a relative comparison between the two would be sufficient. However if the question had asked the number of cars or trucks or even the total number of vehicles produced by company X, then the first statement would not be sufficient. Hence if the question were about finding the value of any entity, our first statement would surely not be sufficient. Always be cognizant of what is asked and seeking to answer what is asked.

Hope this helps!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts