GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 01:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Whats a better approach to take my prep forward?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Whats a better approach to take my prep forward?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2019, 11:01
prospective test Date: 28th November. / if need be can take it to 4th December MAX!

Been going to a prep center since beginning of september, followed the practice regimen for september but lagging behind on october because office work got out of hand.
The prep classes end next weekend, so from here on out whats a better approach:

1-Focus on getting done with all the material assigned by classes ASAP, like move from chapter to chapter and be over with asap.
e.g: have 10 quant test banks to be done, focus on finishing them in a week (obviously little time to revise questions in that).
Dedicate the entire next week to quant. then next to verbal; Once thats done, restart prep from scratch and do more questions on everything.

2- Forget about keeping up with classes, structure everything to re-start and do it topic by topic focusing on digesting stuff:
4days a week for quant: Like for quant keep 2-3 topics/week. revise everything I get wrong, revise topics from prep center notes; magoosh videos then do questions assigned by coaching center of the topic.
3days a week for verbal.
try getting done with it all in the next 3 weeks. Once that's done do more questions on the weak topics.
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: Whats a better approach to take my prep forward?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 18:34
Hi a316m,

Before deciding on your plan for the next 4 to 5 weeks, I think it would be a good idea to take an ETS practice exam to get a more updated baseline score. Once you take that practice exam, feel free to report back here and I can provide some further advice.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2019, 11:33
Hi a316m,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
Whats a better approach to take my prep forward?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2019, 22:24
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi a316m,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Hey, thanks for your reply.

Okay so. (Im studying for the gre but the advice is transferrable)

1)been studying since start of September, only been able to devote 5-7hours/weeks which is insufficient. Going to boost it up to 20+ now
2) Manhattan 5lb for quant so far, magooosh+ manhattan mix for verbal.
3) I only took the pre-prep mock in September.
162Quant
154 verbal.

Probably should take another mock right about now thought, i guess?

Goals:
4) Goal score is 325+
5) Going to apply in end of January round of admissions so its 15th jan deadline or 7th jan for the schools im applying to.
6) Apply to Fuqua(MQM) Target school, Simon(MSF) safety school, Purdue(MSBA) and Northwestern (MSA). Might add another to the list if I find a good program in my ongoing research.

Based on that when would you advise that I should absolutely be done with the exam, 4th Dec or 28th Nov?
Also prep pattern from the two I inquired on above.

Thankyou!

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 20:04
Hi a316m,

From the information that you have provided, it's been about 1.5 months since you took a full practice GRE. To properly define your current 'ability level', you should plan to take a new one soon (perhaps this weekend). You can access 2 for free from www.gre.org. Once you have that next result, you should post back here (you can also feel free to PM me directly).

In addition, it appears that you want to give yourself a little over a month to work on your applications (without having to study for the GRE at the same time). While I understand why you would want to do that, it's possible that you will need more study time than you have allotted. You don't have to make any changes to your plans just yet, but we really need that practice GRE Score to define what subjects you still need to work on (and potentially how long you will need to work on them).

Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Whats a better approach to take my prep forward?   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2019, 20:04

Whats a better approach to take my prep forward?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep