Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 384 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 782 [0]
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
[#permalink]
u2lover wrote:
I am not a "coffee bean" guru, but I love strong Peet's Coffee... forgot the last time I went to Startbucks for coffee... may be only for bathroom... their coffee is ridiculous... that's just my opinion :roll:

Oh yes, I liked Peet's too. Unfortunately, I do not see many around where I live, but their coffee was definitely good.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Anonymous wrote:
u2lover wrote:
I am not a "coffee bean" guru, but I love strong Peet's Coffee... forgot the last time I went to Startbucks for coffee... may be only for bathroom... their coffee is ridiculous... that's just my opinion :roll:

Oh yes, I liked Peet's too. Unfortunately, I do not see many around where I live, but their coffee was definitely good.

that was me
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah, Peets Coffee is good! There are a few in PDX.

I also like Stumptown (https://www.stumptowncoffee.com/) Coffee.

In Singapore I used to like Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (https://www.coffeebean.com/), unfortunately they doent seem to have a store where I live!

I hate Starbucks, though I frequent Starbucks (closest to my house and open 24 hrs). Its too acidic and has the highest concentration of caffeine - attributes of cheap coffee!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am not too knowledgeable about coffee and its intricacies... mostly am happy with the usual capuccino (either Peet's or Starbucks or my company cafeteria! :shock: )...

But question to all is :

a. What are the qualities of good/great coffee?
b. Is there any difference in the way it is served i.e. is black better than capuccino/espresso?
c. What is the best way to brew coffee? Drip etc?
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Oh I love Sleepy Monk... Its not a chain and I have seen only one store at Cannon Beach, OR

https://www.sleepymonkcoffee.com/

Oh I just love coffee!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
haas_mba07 wrote:
I am not too knowledgeable about coffee and its intricacies... mostly am happy with the usual capuccino (either Peet's or Starbucks or my company cafeteria! :shock: )...

But question to all is :

b. Is there any difference in the way it is served i.e. is black better than capuccino/espresso?

a) Yes - the quality depends a lot on where the beans are grown and how they are roasted. It also depends on how the ground coffee is stored after opening it. I prefer arabica coffee, but I know a lot of people who like Columbian as well. One of my friend gifted me a "grind-n-brew" machine, so basically I get fresh coffee beans and grind them at home, and them make fresh coffee from it. It ROCKS! Also, the temperature of water used, the machine used to make the coffee, etc make a difference too. Ideally, coffee is made from water that is slightly colder than room temperature, and is heated till it reaches slightly below boiling temperature before it is poured through the coffee filter. Also, once the coffee is grinded, it should be stored in an air-tight canister and refrigerated to preserve taste. The coffee must be consumed hot - reheating usually causes it to loose some flavor (and also I have heard that reheating coffee creates gas in body)

b) This is purely personal choice. I like really very very strong and dark coffee, so I prefer it black, with no sugar. My brother frowns when he sees black coffee - he thinks thats the worst way of having coffee. He drinks his coffee (and he drinks it rarely - I drink it almost everyday) with a LOT of sugar and milk (In India people usually make coffee with milk, not cream).

c) I don't claim to be a guru here, but I think drip works best for me. As I said above, I like to heat the water till just below boiling point, and then pass the water through the filter that has ground coffee. I am not sure if someone has a better way. Unfortunately, doing it correctly takes time, so I find myself using a automatic drip machine most of the time when I am "on the go".
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Anyone has tried Coffee bean and tea leaves in US? sm176811 says he liked the one in Singapore.. They do not have a store near where I live, but I see them a lot of times when I travel... may be I will try one next time :D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks MG ... :-)

Next time I go out I will try a couple of different coffee types and see if I can actually discern the differences..

Thanks/

walletless wrote:
haas_mba07 wrote:

But question to all is :

a) Yes - the quality depends a lot on where the beans are grown and how they are roasted. It also depends on how the ground coffee is stored after opening it. I prefer arabica coffee, but I know a lot of people who like Columbian as well. One of my friend gifted me a "grind-n-brew" machine, so basically I get fresh coffee beans and grind them at home, and them make fresh coffee from it. It ROCKS! Also, the temperature of water used, the machine used to make the coffee, etc make a difference too. Ideally, coffee is made from water that is slightly colder than room temperature, and is heated till it reaches slightly below boiling temperature before it is poured through the coffee filter. Also, once the coffee is grinded, it should be stored in an air-tight canister and refrigerated to preserve taste. The coffee must be consumed hot - reheating usually causes it to loose some flavor (and also I have heard that reheating coffee creates gas in body)

b) This is purely personal choice. I like really very very strong and dark coffee, so I prefer it black, with no sugar. My brother frowns when he sees black coffee - he thinks thats the worst way of having coffee. He drinks his coffee (and he drinks it rarely - I drink it almost everyday) with a LOT of sugar and milk (In India people usually make coffee with milk, not cream).

c) I don't claim to be a guru here, but I think drip works best for me. As I said above, I like to heat the water till just below boiling point, and then pass the water through the filter that has ground coffee. I am not sure if someone has a better way. Unfortunately, doing it correctly takes time, so I find myself using a automatic drip machine most of the time when I am "on the go".
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Also, if you guys have ever stayed at Hampton Inn.... their "Robust" coffee is really awesome. I think they would make more money if they were in coffee business rather than hotel/motel ;)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Oooh coffee talk.

My coffee machine cost more than my laptop. I'm a coffee DORK.

Illy coffee
and although its considered crap by almost every measure,
Segafredo
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
i too am a big fan of Illy coffee..
got hooked up on it when i visited italy..oh i so miss the tiramisu and coffee....!!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expresso!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
plain old nescafe..
Given Kudos:
[#permalink]
whats this illy coffee? Never heard about it.... links/more info?
Given Kudos:
[#permalink]
willget800 wrote:
plain old nescafe..

Instant coffee... convinient... but somehow I do not like the taste... specially since I like to have it black with no sugar. Back in India, when I was not such a coffee addict, and used to have my coffee with milk/sugar, I loved nescafe though :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Anonymous wrote:
whats this illy coffee? Never heard about it.... links/more info?

https://www.illy.com

a recent article in business week talks about illy cafe...
https://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 996057.htm
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Anonymous wrote:
willget800 wrote:
plain old nescafe..

Instant coffee... convinient... but somehow I do not like the taste... specially since I like to have it black with no sugar. Back in India, when I was not such a coffee addict, and used to have my coffee with milk/sugar, I loved nescafe though :)

I used to drink the instant (3-in-1) Nestle Nescafe, that included milk, sugar and coffee, when I was in undergrad.. The coffee was not as good but it was the best I could afford, besides the strong dark coffee in the Hawker Centers of Singapore.

I remember making instant Nescafe in a public-toilet in Wales and also while camping in New Zealand. In NZ they have the same instant Nescafe coffee sold as a paste in a toothpaste like tube. U just need to add hot water and mix it!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3