GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 00:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When a city experiences a sharp decline in population, the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
avatar
S
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1188
Re: When a city experiences a sharp decline in population, the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 21:57
Vineetk wrote:
When a city experiences a sharp decline in population, the city's tax revenues, which pay for such city services as police protection and maintenance of water lines, also decrease. The area to be policed and the number and length of the water lines to be maintained, however, do not decrease. Attempting to make up the tax revenue lost by raising tax rates is not feasible, since higher tax rates would cause even more residents to leave.

The information given most strongly supports which of the following general claims?

A. If, in a city with sharply declining population, police protection and water line maintenance do not deteriorate, some other service previously provided by the city will deteriorate or be eliminated.

B. If a city's tax rates are held stable over a period of time, neither the population nor the levels of city services provided will tend to decline over that period.

C. If a city's population declines sharply, police protection and water line maintenance are the services that deteriorate most immediately and most markedly.

D. A city that suffers revenue losses because of a sharp decline in population can make up some of the lost tax revenue by raising tax rates, provided the city's tax rates are low in relation to those of other cities.

E. A city that is losing residents because tax rates are perceived as too high by those residents can reverse this population trend by bringing its tax rates down to a more moderate level.


both d and e are a probability not a certainty because
in d, the passage dose not make clear that residents move to lower tax cities
in e, moderate tax level can be higher than those in other cities.
_________________

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jul 2017
Posts: 10
Re: When a city experiences a sharp decline in population, the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 03:06
Hi verbal experts - I still find D to be a strong contender. Could you share how you'd work through this question? Thanks!
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Posts: 148
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: When a city experiences a sharp decline in population, the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 05:19
imawolf wrote:
Hi verbal experts - I still find D to be a strong contender. Could you share how you'd work through this question? Thanks!


The key of getting an inference question correct is to track and note every single word.
Its already stated that "Attempting to make up the tax revenue lost by raising tax rates is not feasible" - so, D discusses a "not feasible" alternative. Eliminate D.

Cheers !!
_________________

If you find my posts/replies helpful, please take a moment to click on the "kudos" icon.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Apr 2017
Posts: 12
Re: When a city experiences a sharp decline in population, the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 00:52
godot53 wrote:
imawolf wrote:
Hi verbal experts - I still find D to be a strong contender. Could you share how you'd work through this question? Thanks!


The key of getting an inference question correct is to track and note every single word.
Its already stated that "Attempting to make up the tax revenue lost by raising tax rates is not feasible" - so, D discusses a "not feasible" alternative. Eliminate D.

Cheers !!


Hi,

It is stated that raising the tax rates is not feasible since the higher rates would cause even more residents to leave. But what if the rates in the other cities are higher? Then higher tax rates cannot be a reason for them to leave and they would be better off in the current city itself. What is wrong with this line of thought?
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Posts: 148
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge
When a city experiences a sharp decline in population, the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 02:22
Richak91 wrote:
Hi,

It is stated that raising the tax rates is not feasible since the higher rates would cause even more residents to leave.


Yes !!

Richak91 wrote:
But what if the rates in the other cities are higher?


This is an assumption and cannot be directly inferred from the passage. According to the passage, The "higher tax" [a comparison keyword] is not in comparison with "taxes of other cities" but between "past and present" [ before tax increase and after tax increase].
_________________

If you find my posts/replies helpful, please take a moment to click on the "kudos" icon.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: Aiming MBA!!
Joined: 19 Aug 2017
Posts: 141
Location: India
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: When a city experiences a sharp decline in population, the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2017, 04:47
Vineetk wrote:
When a city experiences a sharp decline in population, the city's tax revenues, which pay for such city services as police protection and maintenance of water lines, also decrease. The area to be policed and the number and length of the water lines to be maintained, however, do not decrease. Attempting to make up the tax revenue lost by raising tax rates is not feasible, since higher tax rates would cause even more residents to leave.


The information given most strongly supports which of the following general claims?

A. If, in a city with sharply declining population, police protection and water line maintenance do not deteriorate, some other service previously provided by the city will deteriorate or be eliminated.
the given statements tell us that, with a smaller population, there will be less tax money available. if we spend the SAME amount of tax money on policing and water-line maintenance, then, less tax revenue will be available for everything else.

this implies choice A.


B. If a city's tax rates are held stable over a period of time, neither the population nor the levels of city services provided will tend to decline over that period.
the passage gives no support to this idea.
in fact, the passage supports the idea that population declines can just happen -- without ANY meaningful relation to tax rates. (the passage starts with "When a city experiences a sharp decline in population..." -- thus implying this is something that can just occur, without regard to what tax rates are doing at the time.)

Also, you can eliminate this choice just by pure common sense: it's a totally ridiculous statement in the real world. (obviously, just keeping tax rates constant isn't going to stop people from moving out of a city!).


C. If a city's population declines sharply, police protection and water line maintenance are the services that deteriorate most immediately and most markedly.
Nope. Also, MOST is a very strong word for INFERENCE Questions. Even here in this choice its too strong AND also the passage gives no support to this idea.

D. A city that suffers revenue losses because of a sharp decline in population can make up some of the lost tax revenue by raising tax rates, provided the city's tax rates are low in relation to those of other cities.
Not relevant/out of scope
E. A city that is losing residents because tax rates are perceived as too high by those residents can reverse this population trend by bringing its tax rates down to a more moderate level.
choice E should be a quick elimination, because choice E deals with a situation that is completely unrelated to anything described in any of the existing statements.
i.e., choice E describes a situation in which people CURRENTLY PERCEIVE tax rates as "too high". none of the existing choices deals with any such situation.
Re: When a city experiences a sharp decline in population, the   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2017, 04:47

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 46 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

When a city experiences a sharp decline in population, the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.