It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 07:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When a city experiences a sharp decline in population, the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 21

Re: When a city experiences a sharp decline in population, the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 17:36
DAakash7 wrote:
A. no other option is close enough to qualify for a valid conclusion.

The issue I have with this question is that I don't see any mention of "other services" in the prompt, neither is there a mention of "other cities". But in most explanations of why D is not the answer, I see people mention that it is because D mentions "other cities". Why is "other services" okay here but not "other cities"?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 21

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 21:04
Vineetk wrote:
When a city experiences a sharp decline in population, the city's tax revenues, which pay for such city services as police protection and maintenance of water lines, also decrease. The area to be policed and the number and length of the water lines to be maintained, however, do not decrease. Attempting to make up the tax revenue lost by raising tax rates is not feasible, since higher tax rates would cause even more residents to leave.

The information given most strongly supports which of the following general claims?

A. If, in a city with sharply declining population, police protection and water line maintenance do not deteriorate, some other service previously provided by the city will deteriorate or be eliminated.

B. If a city's tax rates are held stable over a period of time, neither the population nor the levels of city services provided will tend to decline over that period.

C. If a city's population declines sharply, police protection and water line maintenance are the services that deteriorate most immediately and most markedly.

D. A city that suffers revenue losses because of a sharp decline in population can make up some of the lost tax revenue by raising tax rates, provided the city's tax rates are low in relation to those of other cities.

E. A city that is losing residents because tax rates are perceived as too high by those residents can reverse this population trend by bringing its tax rates down to a more moderate level.

I have hard time eliminating D and E. I think they are wrong because both D and E are PROBABLE, while A is a must. on inference question, answer choice contain probable information are attractive but wrong.

so, on inference question, ability to realize an probable information and must-be-correct information is key to success. this is what gmat test us.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 21:57
Vineetk wrote:
When a city experiences a sharp decline in population, the city's tax revenues, which pay for such city services as police protection and maintenance of water lines, also decrease. The area to be policed and the number and length of the water lines to be maintained, however, do not decrease. Attempting to make up the tax revenue lost by raising tax rates is not feasible, since higher tax rates would cause even more residents to leave.

The information given most strongly supports which of the following general claims?

A. If, in a city with sharply declining population, police protection and water line maintenance do not deteriorate, some other service previously provided by the city will deteriorate or be eliminated.

B. If a city's tax rates are held stable over a period of time, neither the population nor the levels of city services provided will tend to decline over that period.

C. If a city's population declines sharply, police protection and water line maintenance are the services that deteriorate most immediately and most markedly.

D. A city that suffers revenue losses because of a sharp decline in population can make up some of the lost tax revenue by raising tax rates, provided the city's tax rates are low in relation to those of other cities.

E. A city that is losing residents because tax rates are perceived as too high by those residents can reverse this population trend by bringing its tax rates down to a more moderate level.

both d and e are a probability not a certainty because
in d, the passage dose not make clear that residents move to lower tax cities
in e, moderate tax level can be higher than those in other cities.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 03:06
Hi verbal experts - I still find D to be a strong contender. Could you share how you'd work through this question? Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 312

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 05:19
imawolf wrote:
Hi verbal experts - I still find D to be a strong contender. Could you share how you'd work through this question? Thanks!

The key of getting an inference question correct is to track and note every single word.
Its already stated that "Attempting to make up the tax revenue lost by raising tax rates is not feasible" - so, D discusses a "not feasible" alternative. Eliminate D.

Cheers !!

If you find my posts/replies helpful, please take a moment to click on the "kudos" icon.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 31

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 00:52
godot53 wrote:
imawolf wrote:

The key of getting an inference question correct is to track and note every single word.
Its already stated that "Attempting to make up the tax revenue lost by raising tax rates is not feasible" - so, D discusses a "not feasible" alternative. Eliminate D.

Cheers !!

Hi,

It is stated that raising the tax rates is not feasible since the higher rates would cause even more residents to leave. But what if the rates in the other cities are higher? Then higher tax rates cannot be a reason for them to leave and they would be better off in the current city itself. What is wrong with this line of thought?

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 31

Manager
Manager
G

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge
When a city experiences a sharp decline in population, the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 02:22
Richak91 wrote:
Hi,

It is stated that raising the tax rates is not feasible since the higher rates would cause even more residents to leave.

Yes !!

Richak91 wrote:
But what if the rates in the other cities are higher?

This is an assumption and cannot be directly inferred from the passage. According to the passage, The "higher tax" [a comparison keyword] is not in comparison with "taxes of other cities" but between "past and present" [ before tax increase and after tax increase].

If you find my posts/replies helpful, please take a moment to click on the "kudos" icon.

When a city experiences a sharp decline in population, the   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2017, 02:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 47 posts ] 

When a city experiences a sharp decline in population, the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap