GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 07:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

When a passenger aircraft crashed in the jungles near the village of T

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT ToolKit User
When a passenger aircraft crashed in the jungles near the village of T  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 08:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (01:11) correct 58% (01:12) wrong based on 72 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

When a passenger aircraft crashed in the jungles near the village of Triskiti, local tribesmen collected pieces of the broken plane before they could be carefully examined where they had fallen, unintentionally thwarting the efforts of investigators that already were made difficult by the remoteness of the crash site.

A. unintentionally thwarting the efforts of investigators that already were made difficult by the remoteness of

B. unintentionally thwarting the efforts of investigators, which already were made difficult by the remoteness of

C. unintentionally thwarting the efforts of investigators, that had already been were made difficult by the remoteness of

D. unintentionally thwarting the efforts of investigators, and already were made difficult by the remoteness of

E. unintentional in thwarting the efforts of investigators, and already were made difficult by the remote location of

Source: Manhattan
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.05
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: When a passenger aircraft crashed in the jungles near the village of T  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 08:16
anvesh004 wrote:
When a passenger aircraft crashed in the jungles near the village of Triskiti, local tribesmen collected pieces of the broken plane before they could be carefully examined where they had fallen, unintentionally thwarting the efforts of investigators that already were made difficult by the remoteness of the crash site.

A.) unintentionally thwarting the efforts of investigators that already were made difficult by the remoteness of

B.) unintentionally thwarting the efforts of investigators, which already were made difficult by the remoteness of

C.) unintentionally thwarting the efforts of investigators, that had already been were made difficult by the remoteness of

D.) unintentionally thwarting the efforts of investigators, and already were made difficult by the remoteness of

E.) unintentional in thwarting the efforts of investigators, and already were made difficult by the remote location of

Can someone pls explain this question.

Answer is B?

My 2 cents:

C is wrong because: had already been were made is unidiomatic
D is wrong because: and already were made difficult by the remoteness of error in parallelism
E is wrong because: unintentional in thwarting the efforts correct usage has to be unintentionally

So it boils down to A OR B

A is wrong because "THAT" should introduce an essential clause. but the information that follows "THAT" is not essential.

B:
I assume the query must be that "Which" should modify investigators, But the local tribesmen thwarted the EFFORTS OF INVESTIGATORS, not the investigators themselves, so which, here refers to EFFORTS OF INVESTIGATORS and these efforts were difficult.

Experts may provide a better solution.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Chasing the dragon

Intern
Intern
S
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: When a passenger aircraft crashed in the jungles near the village of T  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 08:22
fitzpratik wrote:
anvesh004 wrote:

A.) unintentionally thwarting the efforts of investigators that already were made difficult by the remoteness of

B.) unintentionally thwarting the efforts of investigators, which already were made difficult by the remoteness of

C.) unintentionally thwarting the efforts of investigators, that had already been were made difficult by the remoteness of

D.) unintentionally thwarting the efforts of investigators, and already were made difficult by the remoteness of

E.) unintentional in thwarting the efforts of investigators, and already were made difficult by the remote location of

Can someone pls explain this question.

Answer is B?

My 2 cents:

C is wrong because: had already been were made is unidiomatic
D is wrong because: and already were made difficult by the remoteness of error in parallelism
E is wrong because: unintentional in thwarting the efforts correct usage has to be unintentionally

So it boils down to A OR B

A is wrong because "THAT" should introduce an essential clause. but the information that follows "THAT" is not essential.

B:
I assume the query must be that "Which" should modify investigators, But the local tribesmen thwarted the EFFORTS OF INVESTIGATORS, not the investigators themselves, so which, here refers to EFFORTS OF INVESTIGATORS and these efforts were difficult.

Experts may provide a better solution.

Yes, the answer is B.

But i couldn't understand what is "which" referring to.
I am assuming that which is referring to Noun "investigators". But can which refer to a Noun phrase "Efforts of investigators" ??
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 08:43
anvesh004 wrote:

Yes, the answer is B.

I am assuming that which is referring to Noun "investigators". But can which refer to a Noun phrase "Efforts of investigators" ??

Here which refers to the efforts of investigators, as the tribesmen thwarted the efforts of investigators and not the investigators themselves.
So Which is referring to "Efforts of investigators", not "Investigators"

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Chasing the dragon

Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 08:46

A.) unintentionally thwarting the efforts of investigators that already were made difficult by the remoteness of(thwarting modifies the verb collected,that introduces an essential information,correct)

B.) unintentionally thwarting the efforts of investigators, which already were made difficult by the remoteness of(that is more appropriate)

C.) unintentionally thwarting the efforts of investigators, that had already been were made difficult by the remoteness of(two verbs are used)

D.) unintentionally thwarting the efforts of investigators, and already were made difficult by the remoteness of( use of and is not correct as it was the efforts of investigators that were made difficult, that is required )

E.) unintentional in thwarting the efforts of investigators, and already were made difficult by the remote location of( same as in D)

Will go with choice A.

Thanks

IMPOSSIBLE IS JUST AN OPINION

Intern
Intern
S
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 08:51
fitzpratik wrote:
anvesh004 wrote:

Yes, the answer is B.

Here which refers to the efforts of investigators, as the tribesmen thwarted the efforts of investigators and not the investigators themselves.

I was in an impression that "which" can only modify preceding Noun, But not Preceding Noun Phrase.
So, can I consider that "which" can modify either Noun or Noun phrase depending on the context. ?
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 09:11
anvesh004 wrote:
fitzpratik wrote:
anvesh004 wrote:

Yes, the answer is B.

I was in an impression that "which" can only modify preceding Noun, But not Preceding Noun Phrase.
So, can I consider that "which" can modify either Noun or Noun phrase depending on the context. ?

Which can modify nouns placed away from the comma.
Have a look at this sentence from OG13 -Question 29

Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber her letters to anyone else.

Chasing the dragon

Intern
Intern
S
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 09:15
fitzpratik wrote:
Which can modify nouns placed away from the comma.
Have a look at this sentence from OG13 -Question 29

Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber her letters to anyone else.

Thank you. I's much clear now. :thumbup: :)
Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 23:14
fitzpratik

Quote:

i highly doubt that information that follows THAT is not essential.

without the information
Quote:
the remoteness of the crash site.
, you will miss how it becomes more difficult.

It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer. -- Albert Einstein

Senior SC Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests
When a passenger aircraft crashed in the jungles near the village of T  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2018, 00:04
anvesh004 wrote:

The GMAT will not make a test taker decide whether information is essential. (Only one modifying structure will be correct grammatically, as is the case here.)

Quote:
A. unintentionally thwarting the efforts of investigators that already were made difficult by the remoteness of

When referring to people, the relative pronoun is always who, and never that.
Quote:
B. unintentionally thwarting the efforts of investigators, which already were made difficult by the remoteness of

Correct.
-- "which" can modify a noun phrase (efforts of investigators)
-- "which" can "reach back to" a noun followed by modifiers, because:
-- the phrase of investigators is essential;
-- essential modifiers "trump" nonessential ones in terms of proximity to what is being modified; and
-- of investigators cannot be placed elsewhere in the sentence.

Quote:
C. unintentionally thwarting the efforts of investigators, that had already been were made difficult by the remoteness of [I THINK THIS OPTION HAS A TYPO - extra verb?]

that signals essential information. Essential information is never set off by a comma or commas.

Quote:
D. unintentionally thwarting the efforts of investigators, and [SUBJECT? PRONOUN?] already were made difficult by the remoteness of

This sentence is a fragment. There are not two independent clauses.

Quote:
E. unintentional in thwarting the efforts of investigators, and already were made difficult by the remote location of

Fragment as in (D).
A location does not make investigative efforts difficult. The location's remoteness does.

Manhattan GMAT and Manhattan Prep are not the same company.

Manhattan Prep publishes highly recommended books, especially the Sentence Correction Guide.
In this post a representative of Manhattan Prep
describes the confusion.

This question comes from Manhattan GMAT.
The quality of the company's questions is uneven.

Regardless of prep company, no company can replicate official questions.

Answers in this question at the moment are split between A and B.
Almost 60 percent chose (A). The other ~40 percent chose B.

We don't have to decide the issue because only (B) has no grammar errors, but if you want to check whether (B) will work, omit the entire WHICH clause.
-- the remaining sentence is fine
-- Villagers picked up pieces of a crashed plane, unintentionally thwarting the efforts of investigators.

In other words, removing the WHICH clause does not damage the core meaning of the sentence.

Grammarians online and in books are split on the issue of whether "that" can refer to people.
GMAC is not split. People are modified by who.

The answer is B.
GMAT Club Bot
When a passenger aircraft crashed in the jungles near the village of T &nbs [#permalink] 07 Dec 2018, 00:04

When a passenger aircraft crashed in the jungles near the village of T

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap