It is currently 17 Feb 2018, 19:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When a ton of wheat was being moved from Buffalo to New York

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Re: When a ton of wheat was being moved from Buffalo to New York [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2015, 08:26
BukrsGmat wrote:
another good question :

When a ton of wheat was being moved from Buffalo to New York City before the opening of the
Erie Canal in 1825, it took three weeks and cost $100, but when the canal was used, it
took less
than eight days and cost less than $6.

A. When a ton of wheat was being moved from Buffalo to New York City before the opening of the
Erie Canal in 1825, it took three weeks and cost $100, but when the canal was used, it

B. Moving a ton of wheat from Buffalo to New York City before the opening of the Erie Canal in
1825, it took three weeks and cost $100; using the canal, it

C. Before the opening of the Erie Canal in 1825, moving a ton of wheat from Buffalo to New York
City took three weeks and cost $100; on the canal the move

D. In 1825, before opening the Erie Canal, to move a ton of wheat took three weeks from Buffalo to
New York City, which cost $100; moving it on the canal

E. To move a ton of wheat in 1825 from Buffalo to New York City took three weeks before the opening of
the Erie Canal, costing $100, but in using the canal, the move

OA after some discussion

POE
A = "When" and "being".. incorrect usage
B = "using the canal" after ; .. incorrect
C = Hold on
D = Same concept as B
E = awkward and incorrect meaning

So C
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2016, 05:45
selene wrote:
When a ton of wheat was being moved from Buffalo to New York City before the opening the Erie Canal in 1825, it took three weeks and cost $90, but when the canal was used, it took eight days and cost $4.

A) When a ton of wheat was being moved from Buffalo to New York City before the opening the Erie Canal in 1825, it took three weeks and cost $90, but when the canal was used, it

B) Moving a ton of wheat from Buffalo to New York City before the opening the Erie Canal in 1825, it took three weeks, costing $90; using the canal, it

C) Moving a ton of wheat from Buffalo to New York City before the opening the Erie Canal in 1825 took three weeks and cost $90; on the canal, the move

D) Before the opening of the Erie Canal in 1825, to move a ton of wheat from Buffalo to New York City took three weeks and cost $90; using it, the move

E) To move a ton of wheat took three weeks and cost $90 from Buffalo to New York City before the opening the Erie Canal in 1825; on the canal, it

'it' in all options but in C is an ambiguous pronoun. Only in option 'C' 'it is replaced with 'The move' and resolves the ambiguity.

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2016, 06:14
Hi guys,

Can someone clarify why there is no need for comma in the underlined portion??

C. Before ... on the canal the movetook less than eight days and cost less than $6.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2016, 10:59
felippemed wrote:
Hi guys,

Can someone clarify why there is no need for comma in the underlined portion??

C. Before ... on the canal the movetook less than eight days and cost less than $6.

Do you mean a comma after "canal"? Comma after an opening prepositional phrase is used if the phrase is long (more than 3-4 words according to some grammarians).
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2017, 14:10
daagh wrote:
The issues are parallelism, incorrect word order leading to altered intent and pronoun ambiguity

A. When a ton of wheat was being moved from Buffalo to New York City before the opening of the Erie Canal in 1825, it took three weeks and cost $100, but when the canal was used, it ---- 'It' lacks clear antecedence. It must refer to moving but has no such word in the text. In addition was being is ugly and does not refer to the generalization but to a specific instance

B. Moving a ton of wheat from Buffalo to New York City before the opening of the Erie Canal in 1825, it took three weeks and cost $100; using the canal, it --- This is a fragment because of the redundant use the pronoun ‘it’ .

C. Before the opening of the Erie Canal in 1825, moving a ton of wheat from Buffalo to New York City took three weeks and cost $100; on the canal the move -- looks like error-free.

D. In 1825, before opening the Erie Canal, to move a ton of wheat took three weeks from Buffalo to New York City, which cost $100; moving it on the canal ----– Pushing the prepositional modifier ‘in 1825’ is wrong order. Now it modifies the entire following clause, thereby implying that all the events pertain to only the year 1825 only, neither before nor after.

E. To move a ton of wheat in 1825 from Buffalo to New York City took three weeks before the opening of the Erie Canal, costing $100, but in using the canal, the move --- Parallelism is missing between the infinitive clause and the prepositional clause around the conjunction ’but’. In addition, the expression ‘three weeks before the opening of the Erie Canal’ alters the intent that it pertains to a single event that happened three weeks before the opening ceremony.

Concerning Answer Choice A:

It is not possible to state a general statement like: " it took three weeks and cost $100" or do we always have to assume that "it" has an antecedent anywhere in the sentence ?
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 08:18
daagh wrote:

E. To move a ton of wheat in 1825 from Buffalo to New York City took three weeks before the opening of the Erie Canal, costing $100, but in using the canal, the move --- Parallelism is missing between the infinitive clause and the prepositional clause around the conjunction ’but’. In addition, the expression ‘three weeks before the opening of the Erie Canal’ alters the intent that it pertains to a single event that happened three weeks before the opening ceremony.

Is modifier 'costing $100' correctly used in E? I thought it awkwardly modifies 'to move a ton of wheat...'
Board of Directors
V
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 10:26
kivalo wrote:
daagh wrote:

Is modifier 'costing $100' correctly used in E? I thought it awkwardly modifies 'to move a ton of wheat...'

yes, that is also an issue with E. It is very awkward. To be precise, it is called a dangling modifier.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 01:49
This post received
KUDOS
A and B: "it took three weeks"
Here, "it" lacks a clear antecedent.
Eliminate A and B.

D: "before opening the Erie Canal, to move a ton of wheat took 3 weeks"
Here, it is unclear who or what is opening the Erie Canal.
Eliminate D.

E: "in using the canal, the move took less than eight days"
Here, "using" seems to refer to "the move", implying that THE MOVE was USING the canal.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate E.
The correct answer is C.

Example :-
"Before attending law school, John studied at the local college".
Here, "before attending" serves to refer to "John" -- the subject of the following clause -- conveying that JOHN was ATTENDING law school.

If in the OA we replace "before the opening of the Erie Canal" with "before opening the Erie Canal", we get:
"Before opening the Erie Canal in 1825, "moving a ton of wheat" from Buffalo to New York City took three weeks".
Here, "before opening" seems to refer to moving a ton of wheat -- the subject of the following clause -- implying that MOVING A TON OF WHEAT was OPENING the Erie Canal.
This meaning is nonsensical.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 04:53
selene wrote:
When a ton of wheat was being moved from Buffalo to New York City before the opening of the Erie Canal in 1825, it took three weeks and cost $100, but when the canal was used, it took less than eight days and cost less than $6.

(A) When a ton of wheat was being moved from Buffalo to New York City before the opening of the Erie Canal in 1825, it took three weeks and cost $100, but when the canal was used, it

(B) Moving a ton of wheat from Buffalo to New York City before the opening of the Erie Canal in 1825, it took three weeks and cost $100; using the canal, it

(C) Before the opening of the Erie Canal in 1825, moving a ton of wheat from Buffalo to New York City took three weeks and cost $100; on the canal the move

(D) In 1825, before opening the Erie Canal, to move a ton of wheat took three weeks from Buffalo to New York City, which cost $100; moving it on the canal

(E) To move a ton of wheat in 1825 from Buffalo to New York City took three weeks before the opening of the Erie Canal, costing $100, but in using the canal, the move

Moving a ton of wheat from Buffalo to New York City before the opening the Erie Canal in 1825 took three weeks and cost $90; on the canal, themove

Option C needs correction.
Highlighting the mistake that needs to be rectified.

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 21:54
Hello Experts,

In option C "moving" is used as a GERUND here right? please confirm or let me know if I am wrong :-)

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 02:15
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hello Experts,

In option C "moving" is used as a GERUND here right? please confirm or let me know if I am wrong :-)

Hello pikolo2510,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

Yes indeed, the word moving in Choice C is the verb-ing noun form or the gerund.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 22:15
Value wrote:
goalsnr wrote:
When a ton of wheat was being moved from Buffalo to New York City before the
opening of the Erie Canal in 1825, it took three weeks and cost $100, but when the canal
was used, it
took less than eight days and cost less than $6.
A. When a ton of wheat was being moved from Buffalo to New York City before the
opening of the Erie Canal in 1825, it took three weeks and cost $100, but when
the canal was used, it
B. Moving a ton of wheat from Buffalo to New York City before the opening of the
Erie Canal in 1825, it took three weeks and cost $100; using the canal, it
C. Before the opening of the Erie Canal in 1825, moving a ton of wheat from Buffalo
to New York City took three weeks and cost $100; on the canal the move
D. In 1825, before opening the Erie Canal, to move a ton of wheat took three weeks
from Buffalo to New York City, which cost $100; moving it on the canal
E. To move a ton of wheat in 1825 from Buffalo to New York City took three weeks
before the opening of the Erie Canal, costing $100, but in using the canal, the
move

A- No clear reference to "it"
B- After semicolon there is no independent clause
C- I think Correct answer (Independant clause after semicolon)
D- Which cost 100$, shows wrong reference to New york city
E- unnecessary participle and ing forms are used.

Hi Value,

I have a small question..

in Option B also there is a semi colon could u pls tell me why it is wrong?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2017, 01:53
A felt like the right answer as C felt like there was a lack of parallelism. Shouldn't it compare the canal to whatever prior method was used (horse, road, etc)?

Also, this was my first question in my Verbal section on the GmatPrep 3rd test. Is this unusual? I thought the test was adaptive and to have such a hard question as my first question in the verbal section threw me off and made me feel like I was melting on the verbal section. Ended with a V42, but that's the same as my score from last week even though I studied 20+ hours :(.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
WE: Other (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
When a ton of wheat was being moved from Buffalo to New York [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2017, 10:11
abhimahna Could you please explain why B is wrong?

How is B acting as a fragmat?

Why can't It be dummy pronoun here?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When nothing seem to help, I would go and look at a Stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred time without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it would split in two.
And I knew it was not that blow that did it, But all that had gone Before

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
V
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2017, 10:42
This post received
KUDOS
Prashant10692 wrote:
abhimahna Could you please explain why B is wrong?

How is B acting as a fragmat?

Why can't It be dummy pronoun here?

Hi Prashant10692 ,

B is a disaster here. Let's discuss how:

B) Moving a ton of wheat from Buffalo to New York City before the opening the Erie Canal in 1825,

Error 1: it took three weeks, --> Moving took two weeks or Opening tool two weeks? Not clear.

Error 2: costing $90; --> Remember , ing form? It is used either to show cause and effect or to descrive something in the clause before comma. Are we saying? Taking 3 weeks was costing or the result of taking three weeks was costing?

Error 3: using the canal, it took less than eight days and cost less than $6. --> What is it referring to? Canal? Really?

Hence, B is wrong for so many reasons. I would worry about only one and I am done. :)

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2017, 04:02
Can anyone please explain the use of "THE" (the move) in option C?

We Shall Overcome... One day...

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2017, 10:16
nahid78 wrote:
Can anyone please explain the use of "THE" (the move) in option C?

Hello nahid78,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

The article the is used to present a definite noun.

This official sentence talks about moving a ton of wheat from Buffalo to New York City on two occasions:
i. Before the Erie Canal opened
ii. After the Erie Canal opened

Since, the sentence talks about the same move = transporting a ton of wheat from point A to point B in two different time periods, usage of the before move is correct as it talks about that particular move the sentence has already mentioned previously.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 22:15
Sir in option B don't you think so after and it must me costs as subject is phrase and i think e is also correct people are saying ,ing is wrong but according to me it is correct as it is showing result of previous clause please explain
thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.84
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 00:55
C) Moving a ton of wheat from Buffalo to New York City before the opening the Erie Canal in 1825 took three weeks and cost $90; on the canal, the move [Correct, but do we require 'movement' instead of 'move']
Re: When a ton of wheat was being moved from Buffalo to New York   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2018, 00:55

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 59 posts ] 

When a ton of wheat was being moved from Buffalo to New York

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap