It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 16:54

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When congress reconvenes, some newly elected...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8330 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)
Re: When congress reconvenes, some newly elected... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 12:11
Top Contributor
In this easy question, to keep parallelism between two factors connected by an 'and', we need two identical parts of speech. In the given context, to establish and to encourage is the only combo as in E that sticks to this tenet and hence, is the answer

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8330 [0], given: 366

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 110

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 09:46
bmwhype2 wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2016

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 83
Page: 689

When Congress reconvenes, some newly elected members from rural states will try and establish tighter restrictions for the amount of grain farmers are to be allowed to grow and to encourage more aggressive sales of United States farm products overseas.

(A) and establish tighter restrictions for the amount of grain farmers are to be allowed to grow and to encourage
(B) and establish tighter restrictions on the amount of grain able to be grown by farmers and encouraging
(C) establishing tighter restrictions for the amount of grain farmers are allowed to grow and to encourage
(D) to establish tighter restrictions on the amount of grain capable of being grown by farmers and encouraging
(E) to establish tighter restrictions on the amount of grain farmers will be allowed to grow and to encourage

I understood the credited answer (option E). But I have one doubt:
Does the phrase 'will try' apply to both the infinitives, 'to establish' and 'to encourage'

When Congress reconvenes, some newly elected members from rural states will try[to establish tighter restrictions on the amount of grain farmers will be allowed to grow and to encourage].
=> When Congress reconvenes, some newly elected members from rural states will try to establish tighter restrictions on the amount of grain farmers will be allowed to grow and will try to encourage

Did I understand correctly?
How can we know whether 'will try' applies to both the infinitives or only the first infinitive?

In general, if I have a structure A x B + C, how can we know whether the meaning is A x (B + C) or whether it is A x B + C? In math, we have parenthesis to differentiate, but is there any verbal equivalent for parenthesis?

"You can help me achieve my goal by sharing your knowledge"

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 110

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 09:49
When Congress reconvenes, some newly elected members from rural states will try and establish tighter restrictions for the amount of grain farmers are to be allowed to grow and to encourage more aggressive sales of United States farm products overseas

Removing the fluff we notice the phrase 'members will try and establish....' is wrong. Are they trying and establishing or trying to establish. Since the form 'to establish' is correct, eliminate A,B and C

In answer D, the phrase 'grain capable of being grown' is wordy and there is an issue with parallelism. 'To establish' and 'encouraging'.

Answer E clears all these issues.

Kudosity killed the cat but your kudos can save it.

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 42

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 10:34
from the meaning of the sentence, not sure why the newly elected members would : establish tighter restrictions for the amount of grain farmers are to be allowed to grow. This appears to be anti-large scale-farmers :)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

Verbal Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 199

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 09:02
When Congress reconvenes, some newly elected members from rural states will try and establish tighter restrictions for the amount of grain farmers are to be allowed to grow and to encourage more aggressive sales of United States farm products overseas.

(A) and establish tighter restrictions for the amount of grain farmers are to be allowed to grow and to encourage
(B) and establish tighter restrictions on the amount of grain able to be grown by farmers and encouraging
(C) establishing tighter restrictions for the amount of grain farmers are allowed to grow and to encourage
(D) to establish tighter restrictions on the amount of grain capable of being grown by farmers and encouraging
(E) to establish tighter restrictions on the amount of grain farmers will be allowed to grow and to encourage

E

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 199

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Concentration: Finance, International Business

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2017, 22:58
here in this question the two verbs to establish and to encourage must be parallel. So options D and E are the only remaining . Now option D uses "ing" form for encourage and so is not parallel. Hence E is the answer. Please correct me if am wrong. Thank you

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Re: When congress reconvenes, some newly elected...   [#permalink] 11 Nov 2017, 22:58

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

When congress reconvenes, some newly elected...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap