Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack
GMAT Club

It is currently 30 Mar 2017, 11:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2008, 16:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

81% (02:06) correct 19% (01:13) wrong based on 91 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women's Rights Convention in 1848, included in it by the author, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, was a call for female enfranchisement.

(A) When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women's Rights Convention in 1848, included in it by the author, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, was a call for female enfranchisement.
(B) Including a call for female enfranchisement, a draft of the Declaration of Sentiments was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women's Rights Convention in 1848 that Elizabeth Cady Stanton wrote.
(C) When the Declaration of Sentiments drafted by Elizabeth Cady Stanton was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women's Convention in 1848, a call for female enfranchisement had been included in it.
(D) A call for female enfranchisement, included in Elizabeth Cady Stanton's draft of the Declaration of Sentiments in 1848, that was adopted by the Seneca Falls Women's Rights Convention.
(E) When Elizabeth Cady Stanton drafted the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women's Rights Convention in 1848, she included in it a call for female enfranchisement.
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 321 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC-When drafting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2008, 17:16
This post received
KUDOS
IMO E

micky577 wrote:
When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women's Rights Convention in 1848, included in it by the author, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, was a call for female enfranchisement.

(A) When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women's Rights Convention in 1848, included in it by the author, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, was a call for female enfranchisement.
(B) Including a call for female enfranchisement, a draft of the Declaration of Sentiments was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women's Rights Convention in 1848 that Elizabeth Cady Stanton wrote. (passive)
(C) When the Declaration of Sentiments drafted by Elizabeth Cady Stanton was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women's Convention in 1848, a call for female enfranchisement had been included in it. (passive)
(D) A call for female enfranchisement, included in Elizabeth Cady Stanton's draft of the Declaration of Sentiments in 1848, that was adopted by the Seneca Falls Women's Rights Convention.
(E) When Elizabeth Cady Stanton drafted the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women's Rights Convention in 1848, she included in it a call for female enfranchisement.

It is a close call b/w C and E; however C is passive and the use of "had" is wrong. For active it should be subject + object rather than object + subject.

In C you have object (decleration) followed by subhect (Elizabeth)

E is correct
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 959

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2014, 14:11
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
B
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 32

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 18:15
https://gmatclub.com/forum/when-draftin ... 54285.html
Already discussed here. Please, search questions before posting.

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

VP
VP
S
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 833

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 06:51
micky577 wrote:

(B) Including a call for female enfranchisement, a draft of the Declaration of Sentiments was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women's Rights Convention in 1848 that Elizabeth Cady Stanton wrote.
(C) When the Declaration of Sentiments drafted by Elizabeth Cady Stanton was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women's Convention in 1848, a call for female enfranchisement had been included in it.

I think differently.
I think in C, "had been" is correct because this "had been" precede logically " was adopted". So, why C is wrong
This is hard one.
the reason for which C is wrong is passive. the focus of sentence is on who do including. this is main idea of the sentence. the passive in C distort the meaning by not showing the agent of including.

the problem is the lesion of difference between passive and active mode. we use passive when the action is the focus. we use active when the agent of action is the focus

very interesting point

visit my facebook to help me.
https://www.facebook.com/thang.thang.73307634

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
S
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 766

Kudos [?]: 5919 [0], given: 324

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 10:19
Top Contributor

(A) When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women's Rights Convention in 1848, included in it by the author, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, was a call for female enfranchisement. --- This is the in passive voice while E is in active voice. That is the reason that A is inferior to E.

(B) Including a call for female enfranchisement, a draft of the Declaration of Sentiments was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women's Rights Convention in 1848 that Elizabeth Cady Stanton wrote.-- altered and absurd intent. Cady didn't write the convention

(C) When the Declaration of Sentiments drafted by Elizabeth Cady Stanton was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women's Convention in 1848, a call for female enfranchisement had been included in it. -- altered intent. The female enfranchisement was included only when the draft was being made, not before.

(D) A call for female enfranchisement, included in Elizabeth Cady Stanton's draft of the Declaration of Sentiments in 1848, that was adopted by the Seneca Falls Women's Rights Convention. --- A fragment of a sentence. There is no action verb.

(E) When Elizabeth Cady Stanton drafted the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted at the Seneca Falls Women's Rights Convention in 1848, she included in it a call for female enfranchisement. --- A perfect complex sentence in active voice. It refers to the draft. This is the best choice.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
B
Followers: 323

Kudos [?]: 879 [0], given: 28

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 00:21
victory47, you're right that the inclusion of the call for female enfranchisement could have preceded the adoption of the Declaration. I'll take it a step further and say that it must have preceded the adoption. When a group adopts a document, first the document is written and possibly amended, and adoption would typically be the last step. For this reason, past perfect is entirely unnecessary! Remember that while past perfect is certainly used to refer to one event that preceded another, it is only needed when that time relationship needs to be made clear. For instance, I would never say "Marie had been born in Poland and died in France." Of course she was born before she died, so we don't need past perfect to make our meaning clear!

Another problem with C is that in shifting to the passive voice in the second half, it obscures who included the call for female enfranchisement. It should make clear, as E does, that Stanton included the call herself. As it is written in C, I'd assume that some mysterious person or group inserted this call into Stanton's document. It feels something like this: "When my article was finally printed, I was surprised to find that a disclaimer had been added to it."

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: When drafting the Declaration of Sentiments that was adopted   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2017, 00:21