It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 00:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then aske

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 51

Re: When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then aske [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2016, 07:06
Here is my understanding of the question. Kindly correct if my reasoning is incorrect. Thanks.

Conclusion: the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies
(1) Normally Hearing Part is connected to the Replying Part of the self
(2) Once hypnotized, Hearing Part is disconnected/dissociated from the Replying Part of the self
(3) Now, Replying part is unaware of what the Hearing part listens to.
(4) Hypnotist asks: "Can you hear me"?
(5) Hypnotized person: "No"

(4) & (5) indicate that Hearing part and Replying part are "connected" since Hearing part has transferred information to the Replying Part. Hence the weakness in the explanation describing the experiment.

Option A: Why does the part that replies not answer, “Yes”? (An "Yes" reply can prove that Hearing part and Replying part are dissociated)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 51

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 136

GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then aske [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 02:32
chetan2u wrote:
sheshadritalla wrote:
Hi,

Could anyone please help me understand below question.
I am not getting the intended meaning of this question.

When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then asked whether they can hear the hypnotist, they reply, “No.” Some theorists try to explain this result by arguing that the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.
Which of the following challenges indicates the most serious weakness in the attempted explanation described above?
(A) Why does the part that replies not answer, “Yes”?
(B) Why are the observed facts in need of any special explanation?
(C) Why do the subjects appear to accept the hypnotist’s suggestion that they are deaf?
(D) Why do hypnotized subjects all respond the same way in the situation described?
(E) Why are the separate parts of the self the same for all subjects?

Thanks & regards,
Sheshadri

hi Sheshadri,
lets see what does the Para tell us..

people who are hypnotized are told that they are deaf, which means they should not hear anything thereafter. But when asked whether they can hear the hypnotist, they say 'NO'.
We can say that they may say NO, but they are answering our Q. to this, the hypnotist reason that hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies...

we have to find aweakness in this arguement..
(A) Why does the part that replies not answer, “Yes”?..
A tells us that if they are dissociated into separate parts and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies, why doesn't it say 'YES'...
this means they can hear
Hope it helps

Hi chetan2u
Can you please tell what hypnotized subjects refer to. I could not understand the meaning of the sentence. Please help!

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 136

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 44 [1], given: 51

Concentration: Technology, Leadership
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 05:26
This post received
KUDOS
hypnotized subjects means people who are, when hypnotized, being told by hypnotist that they are deaf. but even after that when hypnotist ask them that can you hear me they say 'NO', And for this behavior a reason has been given. if that reason is true and the person actually can not listen anyone or Answering NO is a random behavior,why do they not sometime respond with yes.

so Answer is A

Kudo please if you find this helpful.

If you want to appreciate, just click on Kudos.

Kudos [?]: 44 [1], given: 51

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 24

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 21:42
I would never have thought this way

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 24

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 39

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 07:38
68. When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then asked whether they can hear the hypnotist, they reply, "No." Some theorists try to explain this result by arguing that the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.

Which of the following challenges indicates the most serious weakness in the attempted explanation described above?

(A) Why does the part that replies not answer, "Yes"? I
(C) Why do the subjects appear to accept the hypnotist's suggestion that they are deaf?
(D) Why do hypnotized subjects all respond the same way in the situation described?

could you please explain why the answer is a and what is the difference between a and d?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 39

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 82 [1], given: 541

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 09:37
This post received
KUDOS
perfectstranger wrote:
68. When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then asked whether they can hear the hypnotist, they reply, "No." Some theorists try to explain this result by arguing that the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.

(A) Why does the part that replies not answer, "Yes"? I
(C) Why do the subjects appear to accept the hypnotist's suggestion that they are deaf?

Well this question took me by surprise initially i was inclining for C but after reading the prompt many number of times The answer is indeed A .
Here my reasoning for doing so

First something on hypnotism it used by people to control some other people for their own benefit where the person under hypnosis are not aware of their action. :-)
According to prompt we are told that people under hypnosis are told that they are deaf and when asked can they hear people doing the hypnosis they say no .
We this result is paradox if they cant hear then how come they heard the question and still replied no .
We are told that this result is explained by the different dissociated selves which act independently.

A provides a counter example for the explanation given above as if if the self that replied is independent of the part that is deaf they why did it not reply yes for the question asked .

All other options are just not good enough
B out of scope
C does not answer anything about the hypothesis well i may be true for the overall research purpose for the hypnosis but not for the prompt :-)
D There no information for this in the prompt
E Again no information given

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 82 [1], given: 541

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
B

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 48

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 10:43
Thanks arvind910619 for the explanation!

To post additional questions not already addressed in this thread, feel free to use the request verbal experts' reply button.

www.gmatninja.com

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 14:27
When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then asked whether they can hear the hypnotist, they reply, “No.” Some theorists try to explain this result by arguing that the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.
(A) Why does the part that replies not answer, “Yes”?
(C) Why do the subjects appear to accept the hypnotist’s suggestion that they are deaf?

After knowing the answer I know it makes sense. But can anyone guide me through the thought process of solving problem like this? What is the logic that I need to follow? :oops:

OA: A

Last edited by broall on 29 Sep 2017, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Merged post. Please search before posting question!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 19:24
Hi,

The process revolves around analysing the flaw/distortion in the statement. Whenever an argument jumps to a conclusion, it is bound to have loopholes. The loophole will always be the answer.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 29

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 128

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 22:42
pqhai wrote:
MulanQ wrote:
Valii wrote:
My approach: If the two parts are truly disassociated, then the answering part is not deaf. Hence, it should answer the question: Can you hear me? with a Yes. Hence the answer here is A.

Still dont really get it. To me, the answer of "yes" or "no" doesn't make any difference because the subject does ANSWER. No matter the answer is correct or not, the fact that the subject does answer means he/she can hear. If would make more sense if the subject remains silence... which truly prove that he/she is deaf!

Hello MulanQ

I understand the question's logic is quite hard to digest. The key point is that the deaf part is dissociated from the replies part. It means that no matter one can/can't hear anything, he/she always replies in a predetermined way. In this question, the deaf part means one is hypnotized to become "deaf", he/she is not a deaf person. (I think you misunderstood this point). In order to prove that the two parts is dissociated, we have to prove TWO cases, NOT only one used by the author.

If the deaf part is dissociated from the replies part, so:

Case #1: Although one can actually hear, he/she always replies "NO". --> It means the the "deaf" (or the hearing part) does not affect the reply part. (If he/she says "YES", he/she may hear something actually --> the deaf part may not dissociated from the reply part).

Case #2: Although one does NOT hear anything, he/she still replies "YES" --> It means the the "deaf" (or the hearing part) does not affect the reply part. (If he/she says "NO", he/she may not hear anything actually --> the deaf part may not dissociated from the reply part).

If the two cases above are shown properly, the argument's conclusion is correct. But if only one case is shown, case #1 in this question, we can't conclude that the deaf part is dissociated from the replies part.

A shows that the author "forgot" case #2, so the conclusion should be weaken.

Hope it helps.

Hi, can u kindly help me to understand how option A is different from option D. A asks why do the subjects dont respond 'yes'. D, on the other hand, asks why do the subjects respond in the same manner ie. they say no every time instead of yes.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 128

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 12:34
Quote:
When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then asked whether they can hear the hypnotist, they reply, "No." Some theorists try to explain this result by arguing that the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.

(A) Why does the part that replies not answer, "Yes"?

sunny91 wrote:
Hi, can u kindly help me to understand how option A is different from option D. A asks why do the subjects dont respond 'yes'. D, on the other hand, asks why do the subjects respond in the same manner ie. they say no every time instead of yes.

Choice (D) does not ask, "Why do they always say 'No' instead of 'Yes'." Rather, choice (D) asks, "Why don't the responses vary from subject to subject? Why don't some subjects say 'No' while others say 'Yes'? What explains the consistency of these results? Answering this question alone might challenge the explanation described in the passage, but (A) directly challenges the explanation given, so it is a better answer.

www.gmatninja.com

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS

Re: When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then aske   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2017, 12:34

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 71 posts ] 

When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then aske

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap