GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 01:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

When, on a particular shopping trip, a consumer purchases an item

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
When, on a particular shopping trip, a consumer purchases an item  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 05:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (02:07) correct 41% (02:09) wrong based on 493 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

When, on a particular shopping trip, a consumer purchases an item which he previously had no intention of purchasing, this sale is called an "impulse purchase." The objects of impulse purchases are occasionally essential items (i.e. items that satisfy basic subsistence needs), but much more frequently are luxury or non-essential items. Researchers have determined that, at the end of a shopping trip, a consumer is much more excited if she has bought a luxury item on an impulse purchase, than if she had made no impulse purchases.

If the information above is true, and if the researchers’ investigation was properly conducted, then which of the following must also be true?

A) The impulse purchase of luxury or non-essential item is more exciting than the impulse purchase of an essential need.
B) A consumer who, for whatever reason, is not able to purchase an item she had planned to buy is necessarily disappointed.
C) Consumers seeking a high level of excitement often make impulse purchases.
D) The researcher had a reliable way to determine whether the consumer had planned to buy the luxury or non-essential item he purchased on that trip.
E) The probability that a consumer makes an impulse purchase of an item decreases as the price of the item increases.

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V29
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
Re: When, on a particular shopping trip, a consumer purchases an item  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 19:27
D looks like an assumption :? .
Can you please explains what is wrong with A

-----------------------------------------
Consider Cudos if you like this post.
-----------------------------------------

Retired Moderator
Re: When, on a particular shopping trip, a consumer purchases an item  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 00:55
dav90 wrote:
D looks like an assumption :? .
Can you please explains what is wrong with A

Hello dav90

You are right it destroy conclusion.
I never thought about applying negation test to must be true questions ;)

A) The impulse purchase of luxury or non-essential item is more exciting than the impulse purchase of an essential need.

Here is the argument:

When, on a particular shopping trip, a consumer purchases an item which he previously had no intention of purchasing, this sale is called an "impulse purchase."
The objects of impulse purchases are occasionally essential items (i.e. items that satisfy basic subsistence needs), but much more frequently are luxury or non-essential items.

[This sentence says only that purchase can be luxury, non-essential or essential but it says nothing about excitement]

Researchers have determined that, at the end of a shopping trip, a consumer is much more excited if she has bought a luxury item on an impulse purchase, than if she had made no impulse purchases.
[This sentence compare level of excitement between person who made impulse purchase and person who did not make impulse purchase]

So answer A is wrong because argument does not say about level of excitement when person make impulse purchase of essential item

P.S. that's interesting how argument begin from HE and little later starts using SHE

Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 03:22
Harley1980 wrote:
When, on a particular shopping trip, a consumer purchases an item which he previously had no intention of purchasing, this sale is called an "impulse purchase." The objects of impulse purchases are occasionally essential items (i.e. items that satisfy basic subsistence needs), but much more frequently are luxury or non-essential items. Researchers have determined that, at the end of a shopping trip, a consumer is much more excited if she has bought a luxury item on an impulse purchase, than if she had made no impulse purchases.

If the information above is true, and if the researchers’ investigation was properly conducted, then which of the following must also be true?

B) A consumer who, for whatever reason, is not able to purchase an item she had planned to buy is necessarily disappointed.
D) The researcher had a reliable way to determine whether the consumer had planned to buy the luxury or non-essential item he purchased on that trip.
E) The probability that a consumer makes an impulse purchase of an item decreases as the price of the item increases.

Hi,

Can you please explain why D is correct ?
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 05:30
amatya wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:

Hi,

Can you please explain why D is correct ?

Hello amatya

In argument we see premise
"When, on a particular shopping trip, a consumer purchases an item which he previously had no intention of purchasing, this sale is called an "impulse purchase." "

and conclusion
"Researchers have determined that, at the end of a shopping trip, a consumer is much more excited if she has bought a luxury item on an impulse purchase, than if she had made no impulse purchases."

But how researches know that consumer did not plan plan such purchase? There is a lot of ways how they can did that, but argument does not mention any of it.
So we should fill this gap and answer D makes it.

Also if answer D is not true then conclusion is false because if researches didn't have a reliable way to to determine whether the customer plan the purchase than conclusion is wrong.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Finance
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2015, 14:05

A) The impulse purchase of luxury or non-essential item is more exciting than the impulse purchase of an essential need. - this is an exaggerated statement
B) A consumer who, for whatever reason, is not able to purchase an item she had planned to buy is necessarily disappointed. - consumer feelings not discussed (vice versa of happiness need not hold good)
C) Consumers seeking a high level of excitement often make impulse purchases. - Reverse statement
E) The probability that a consumer makes an impulse purchase of an item decreases as the price of the item increases. - could be true/ but not MUST
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2015, 15:41
I thought first that this was an inference question. Interesting.
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 02:00
Harley1980 wrote:

I got D by POE,
A) No such info is provided in the stimuli.
B) wordings are too extreme.
C) the reverse is discussed in the stimuli.
E) no discussion about $ done in the stimuli.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 10:44
Harley1980 wrote:

Hello Harley - It is possible to arrive at D through POE, but i thought its a 'must be true question'. If so, then please help me understand how can i infer the answer from the stimulus, else please help me understand how not to fall in the trap set by the question stem.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 23:16
Harley1980 wrote:

Was really bent on choosing D, but chose C. I did not choose D because the stimulus has only talked about "she"s and stated nothing about "he"s.
mikemcgarry the source quoted is Magoosh, please see if its a typo here, and if not, please explain how D is correct.

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 23:25
ShashankDave wrote:
Was really bent on choosing D, but chose C. I did not choose D because the stimulus has only talked about "she"s and stated nothing about "he"s.
mikemcgarry the source quoted is Magoosh, please see if its a typo here, and if not, please explain how D is correct.

Hi ShashankDave ,

C cannot be the right answer.

We are told that impulse purchase leads to happiness. This doesn't mean the reverse is also true. Hence, C is out.

Let's talk about D now.

My friend, this is a very common thing in English. Whenever I don't know the gender of my subject, I often consider is masculine.

So, D is talking about a consumer. I am not sure about the gender of this consumer. So, I am okay to go with the 'He' here.

D is basically saying since the researchers are saying people are happy when they buy non essential item, it means researchers know about what they want to buy and what not. Thus, the correct answer.

Let me know in case of any concern. :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 16:50

Official Explanation

The credited answer is choice (D). If the researcher concluded anything about how an impulse purchase made someone feel, then the researcher had to know that it was an impulse purchase, that is, that the purchase was not planned. If the researcher had no way to determine whether a purchase was planned or unplanned, then the researcher would have no way of determining which purchases were impulse purchases.

We know the consumer find the impulse purchase of a luxury item more exciting than the planned purchases. We don't necessarily know how exciting the impulse purchase of an essential need is --- maybe it's less exciting than the impulse purchase of a luxury item, or maybe it's just as exciting. We cannot determine this from information in the prompt, so choice (A) is incorrect.

We only know about the excitement brought about by an impulse purchase of a luxury item, but we have no information about what happens if a purchase is planned but not made. Choice (B) inappropriate extends the pattern into situations the prompt doesn't cover at all. Choice (B) is incorrect.

We know that the impulse purchase of a luxury item is exciting, but we don't know whether this is sufficient inducement for a person seeking excitement to make this kind of purchase frequently. The expense, for example, might be a mitigating factor. We can conclude nothing for certain about this, so choice (C) is incorrect.

This is a tempting one --- we certainly might suspect that the luxury items of higher price would be bought as impulse purchases less frequently. We might suspect this, but notice that the prompt says nothing about high price vs. low price items. This answer choice invites us to bring in irrelevant outside knowledge. Choice (E) is incorrect.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

GMAT Club Bot
Re: When, on a particular shopping trip, a consumer purchases an item &nbs [#permalink] 09 Aug 2018, 16:50

When, on a particular shopping trip, a consumer purchases an item

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap