GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 05:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

When the damage left by the 2004 tsunami

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2011
Posts: 21
GMAT ToolKit User
When the damage left by the 2004 tsunami  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2014, 12:55
7
18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (01:24) correct 64% (01:22) wrong based on 1062 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

When the damage left by the 2004 tsunami in Thailand is beheld, nature's powerful forces become immediately apparent.

A. nature's powerful forces become immediately apparent

B. nature's powerful forces become apparent immediately

C. the powerful forces of nature become apparent at once

D. the powerful forces of nature becomes immediately apparent

E. the power of nature's forces become apparent at once

please provide explanations.

_________________
oblige me with Kudos.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Posts: 2
Re: When the damage left by the 2004 tsunami  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Feb 2014, 06:25
11
Hi,

This the first time to post in this forum, I hope I can help.

When the damage left by the 2004 tsunami in Thailand is beheld, nature's powerful forces become immediately apparent.

I look at it in this way,

when THE damage left by the 2014xxxxx is beheld, THE xxxxx should follow for parallesim.
We need the after the comma.

This will leave us with C,D, and E.

a.nature's powerful forces become immediately apparent (not parallel)
b.nature's powerful forces become apparent immediately (not parallel)
c.the powerful forces of nature become apparent at once (Correct)
d.the powerful forces of nature becomes immediately apparent (SV error, powerful forces is plural and doesn't agree with becomes)
e.the power of nature's forces become apparent at once (SV Error, the power doesn't agree with become)

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Originally posted by zakyma on 03 Feb 2014, 03:47.
Last edited by zakyma on 03 Feb 2014, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
Board of Directors
User avatar
D
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3405
Re: When the damage left by the 2004 tsunami  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2014, 05:58
Hre the subject of the sentence is the powerfull forces of the nature

In A and B and E nature's powerful forces become the forces per se do not become powerful, so this sort of construction does not have much sense

In D we have a SV disagreement

C left
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2011
Posts: 21
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: When the damage left by the 2004 tsunami  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2014, 06:58
carcass wrote:
Hre the subject of the sentence is the powerfull forces of the nature

In A and B and E nature's powerful forces become the forces per se do not become powerful, so this sort of construction does not have much sense

In D we have a SV disagreement

C left


But, option A and B does say that nature's powerful forces become immediately apparent - Here the sentence is talking about nature's powerful forces, and this is the therefore the subject of the sentence.
Similarly, the sentence C saysthe powerful forces of nature become apparent at once - Here too, the sentence is talking about the nature's powerful forces, albeit without possessives.
A, B, C are all talking about the forces present in nature and hence these forces should be considered as subjects. Please help me understand the reasoning.
_________________
oblige me with Kudos.
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 710
Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: When the damage left by the 2004 tsunami  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2014, 01:57
djanand wrote:
carcass wrote:
Hre the subject of the sentence is the powerfull forces of the nature

In A and B and E nature's powerful forces become the forces per se do not become powerful, so this sort of construction does not have much sense

In D we have a SV disagreement

C left


But, option A and B does say that nature's powerful forces become immediately apparent - Here the sentence is talking about nature's powerful forces, and this is the therefore the subject of the sentence.
Similarly, the sentence C saysthe powerful forces of nature become apparent at once - Here too, the sentence is talking about the nature's powerful forces, albeit without possessives.
A, B, C are all talking about the forces present in nature and hence these forces should be considered as subjects. Please help me understand the reasoning.



First I would say this is not a GMAT type question, in option A,B, and C difference is subtle.

Option D and E violates subject verb agreement.

Option A and B are grammatically same, and definitely we can not have two choices both correct, so we are left with C using POE.

I think you should refer zakyma's explanation above, I liked that explanation.
_________________
Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2012
Posts: 326
Re: When the damage left by the 2004 tsunami  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2014, 10:31
PiyushK wrote:
djanand wrote:
carcass wrote:
Hre the subject of the sentence is the powerfull forces of the nature

In A and B and E nature's powerful forces become the forces per se do not become powerful, so this sort of construction does not have much sense

In D we have a SV disagreement

C left


But, option A and B does say that nature's powerful forces become immediately apparent - Here the sentence is talking about nature's powerful forces, and this is the therefore the subject of the sentence.
Similarly, the sentence C saysthe powerful forces of nature become apparent at once - Here too, the sentence is talking about the nature's powerful forces, albeit without possessives.
A, B, C are all talking about the forces present in nature and hence these forces should be considered as subjects. Please help me understand the reasoning.



First I would say this is not a GMAT type question, in option A,B, and C difference is subtle.

Option D and E violates subject verb agreement.

Option A and B are grammatically same, and definitely we can not have two choices both correct, so we are left with C using POE.

I think you should refer zakyma's explanation above, I liked that explanation.

What about passive vs active?
Doesn't that count for something?
I also chose C.
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2509
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: When the damage left by the 2004 tsunami  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2015, 07:09
I don't think this is a valid GMAT style like question.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 18 Nov 2016
Posts: 41
Re: When the damage left by the 2004 tsunami  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 04:23
3
1
Possessives should not be applied to intangible nouns like "nature" - therefore (C) "the powerful forces of nature..."
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2016
Posts: 159
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Re: When the damage left by the 2004 tsunami  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 06:18
carcass wrote:
Hre the subject of the sentence is the powerfull forces of the nature

In A and B and E nature's powerful forces become the forces per se do not become powerful, so this sort of construction does not have much sense

In D we have a SV disagreement

C left


I am not sure about E. Could you please help me decline that? abhimahna , please pitch in, if you have a few minutes. :)
_________________
Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Posts: 309
CAT Tests
Re: When the damage left by the 2004 tsunami  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 09:41
mikemcgarry GMATNinjaTwo

Hi, I was wondering could one of you guys please explain the difference between option B and C? I wasn't able to locate a meaningful error in option B. I was wondering why we cannot have "nature's powerful forces" as our main subject? Please help me!

Thank You!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4472
Re: When the damage left by the 2004 tsunami  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2018, 17:36
3
csaluja wrote:
mikemcgarry GMATNinjaTwo

Hi, I was wondering could one of you guys please explain the difference between option B and C? I wasn't able to locate a meaningful error in option B. I was wondering why we cannot have "nature's powerful forces" as our main subject? Please help me!

Thank You!

Dear csaluja,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, you are not confused here because of any problem with your understanding. You are confused because the question is atrocious. Choice (A) & (B) & (C) are all correct. For some reason, NicoleJaneway seems to think, "Possessives should not be applied to intangible nouns like 'nature.'" With all due respect, I strenuously disagree. Whether we are talking about "capitalism's flaws" or "Hinduism's pantheon" or "algebraic topology's theorems" or "love's illusions," it is 100% fine to use possessives for intangible nouns. This question is a disaster and is useless as a means of preparing for the GMAT.

Here's a high quality practice question.
With American cryptanalysts

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________
Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Posts: 309
CAT Tests
Re: When the damage left by the 2004 tsunami  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2018, 18:02
mikemcgarry wrote:
csaluja wrote:
mikemcgarry GMATNinjaTwo

Hi, I was wondering could one of you guys please explain the difference between option B and C? I wasn't able to locate a meaningful error in option B. I was wondering why we cannot have "nature's powerful forces" as our main subject? Please help me!

Thank You!

Dear csaluja,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, you are not confused here because of any problem with your understanding. You are confused because the question is atrocious. Choice (A) & (B) & (C) are all correct. For some reason, NicoleJaneway seems to think, "Possessives should not be applied to intangible nouns like 'nature.'" With all due respect, I strenuously disagree. Whether we are talking about "capitalism's flaws" or "Hinduism's pantheon" or "algebraic topology's theorems" or "love's illusions," it is 100% fine to use possessives for intangible nouns. This question is a disaster and is useless as a means of preparing for the GMAT.

Here's a high quality practice question.
With American cryptanalysts

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)



Thank you so much Mike! You have always been immensely helpful whenever it came to solving my doubts! Greatly appreciated!!
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 23 Sep 2016
Posts: 233
Reviews Badge
Re: When the damage left by the 2004 tsunami  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 04:37
djanand wrote:
When the damage left by the 2004 tsunami in Thailand is beheld, nature's powerful forces become immediately apparent.

A. nature's powerful forces become immediately apparent

B. nature's powerful forces become apparent immediately

C. the powerful forces of nature become apparent at once

D. the powerful forces of nature becomes immediately apparent

E. the power of nature's forces become apparent at once

please provide explanations.

i think C is the answer because as following :-
A and B is incorrect as there construction is showing nature's power we can't use it because the power of the nature is intangible which can only written in the form of "powerful forces of the nature" as only tangible thinks can be written in the form of "'s" such as rohit's book or anything else
D and E is eliminated because no subject verb agreement In option D the powerful forces is the subject which is plural and whose verb is singular becomes where as in option E the power is the subject which is singular but its verb become is plural.
Kudoos please if you like my explanation.
thanks in advance...
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 5929
Re: When the damage left by the 2004 tsunami  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2019, 13:52
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: When the damage left by the 2004 tsunami   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2019, 13:52
Display posts from previous: Sort by

When the damage left by the 2004 tsunami

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne