GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 16:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

When ticket sales began, Pat was the nth customer in line

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
When ticket sales began, Pat was the nth customer in line  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Sep 2013, 02:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (01:36) correct 35% (01:41) wrong based on 365 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

When ticket sales began, Pat was the nth customer in line for a ticket, and customers purchased their tickets at the rate of x customers per minute. Of the following, which best approximates the time, in minutes, that Pat had to wait in line from the moment ticket sales began?

(A) (n - 1) x
(B) n + x –1
(C) (n-1)/x
(D) x/(n-1)
(E) n/(x-1)

Originally posted by yogachgolf on 15 Nov 2007, 13:46.
Last edited by Bunuel on 21 Sep 2013, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.
Added the OA.
Manager
Manager
Re: Ticket Sales  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2007, 14:36
yogachgolf wrote:
When ticket sales began, Pat was the nth customer in line for a ticket, and customers purchased their tickets at the rate of x customers per minute. Of the following, which best approximates the time, in minutes, that Pat had to wait in line from the moment ticket sales began?

(A) (n - 1) x
(B) n + x –1
(C) (n-1)/x
(D) x/(n-1)
(E) n/(x-1)

C seems the closest.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2007, 14:41
GMAT TIGER wrote:
yogachgolf wrote:

(A) (n - 1) x
(B) n + x –1
(C) (n-1)/x
(D) x/(n-1)
(E) n/(x-1)

C. (n - 1) / x

it's not precise though is it?

let's say n = 11, and x = 2... then on the basis of C, it should give an answer of 5 mins in line, but surely Pat's in line until the point he/she gets her ticket, which I would have thought was n/x mins... am i wrong?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2007, 14:56
alrussell wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
yogachgolf wrote:

(A) (n - 1) x
(B) n + x –1
(C) (n-1)/x
(D) x/(n-1)
(E) n/(x-1)

C. (n - 1) / x

let's say n = 11, and x = 2... then on the basis of C, it should give an answer of 5 mins in line, but surely Pat's in line until the point he/she gets her ticket, which I would have thought was n/x mins... am i wrong?

That's what I thought at first. But there should be 10 people waiting in line before Pat can purchase the ticket...C makes sense now.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2007, 14:58
yogachgolf wrote:
alrussell wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
yogachgolf wrote:

(A) (n - 1) x
(B) n + x –1
(C) (n-1)/x
(D) x/(n-1)
(E) n/(x-1)

C. (n - 1) / x

That's what I thought at first. But there should be 10 people waiting in line before Pat can purchase the ticket...C makes sense now.

But if it takes say 30 seconds to sell a ticket, then (n -1) / x measures merely the time it takes for Pat to get to the counter... it would take another 30 secs for HER/HIS purchase to be completed no? He / she only leaves the line once that's occurred... I think...
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2007, 15:02
alrussell wrote:
yogachgolf wrote:
alrussell wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
yogachgolf wrote:

(A) (n - 1) x
(B) n + x –1
(C) (n-1)/x
(D) x/(n-1)
(E) n/(x-1)

C. (n - 1) / x

But if it takes say 30 seconds to sell a ticket, then (n -1) / x measures merely the time it takes for Pat to get to the counter... it would take another 30 secs for HER/HIS purchase to be completed no? He / she only leaves the line once that's occurred... I think...

Points taken....but I don't think this question makes these assumptions. Plus the question says which best approximates the time, in minutes,
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2007, 15:05
yogachgolf wrote:
Points taken....but I don't think this question makes these assumptions. Plus the question says which best approximates the time, in minutes,

Yeah I suppose the language is a marker... which is why I answered on that basis, but I do think it's a poorly constructed question...
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2007, 15:17
alrussell wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
yogachgolf wrote:

(A) (n - 1) x
(B) n + x –1
(C) (n-1)/x
(D) x/(n-1)
(E) n/(x-1)

C. (n - 1) / x

if you read the red mark carefully, its clear.

we need to exclude Pat from the line because excluding him only gives the time that is required him to wait. if we donot deduct him (1) from n, then we are including his time as well.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2007, 15:23
GMAT TIGER wrote:
alrussell wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
yogachgolf wrote:

(A) (n - 1) x
(B) n + x –1
(C) (n-1)/x
(D) x/(n-1)
(E) n/(x-1)

C. (n - 1) / x

we need to exclude Pat from the line because excluding him only gives the time that is required him to wait. if we donot deduct him (1) from n, then we are including his time as well.

She / he is still waiting in line... or at the very least it's entirely ambiguous what "waiting in line" means. It's perfectly possible that her time buying the ticket would constitute waiting in line.
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2007, 15:25
alrussell wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
alrussell wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
yogachgolf wrote:

(A) (n - 1) x
(B) n + x –1
(C) (n-1)/x
(D) x/(n-1)
(E) n/(x-1)

C. (n - 1) / x

She / he is still waiting in line... or at the very least it's entirely ambiguous what "waiting in line" means. It's perfectly possible that her time buying the ticket would constitute waiting in line.

i would say waiting in line and leaving the line for buying tickets are different.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2007, 15:28
GMAT TIGER wrote:

i would say waiting in line and leaving the line for buying tickets are different.

What's to say you leave the line to purchase the ticket?

It's entirely possible that the person at the front of the line, is the one buying the ticket, and ipso facto, part of the line.

I suppose it doesn't matter, but I think there is a distinct ambiguity in the question that could eat up time unfairly.
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2007, 15:31
alrussell wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:

It's entirely possible that the person at the front of the line, is the one buying the ticket, and ipso facto, part of the line.

I suppose it doesn't matter, but I think there is a distinct ambiguity in the question that could eat up time unfairly.

lets understand this way:

waiting in line (no ticket bying) and ticket buying are two different things.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2007, 15:33
GMAT TIGER wrote:
alrussell wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:

lets understand this way:

waiting in line (no ticket bying) and ticket buying are two different things.

I disagree that the two are necessarily mutually exclusive. It's a matter of debate and ambiguity... if you are "waiting in line" for a ticket, then you dont cease to wait in that line until you receive that ticket, and you dont receive that ticket until you have completed your purchase. Your assumption that your purchase takes place out of the physical confines of the queue is without basis. As said - the question is ambiguous.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2007, 17:42
Well, such questions are purely formula based and dont need too much of logic.

In this case its and Distance, time, and speed, problem, which can be worded in different ways.

Here distance is n-1, speed is x, and since time has been asked in minutes, so the answer will be Distance / time = (n-1)/X

PS: Such questions will be in the list of first 5 questions in GMAT

Amar
Manager
Manager
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2007, 17:45
Amardeep Sharma wrote:
Well, such questions are purely formula based and dont need too much of logic.

In this case its and Distance, time, and speed, problem, which can be worded in different ways.

Here distance is n-1, speed is x, and since time has been asked in minutes, so the answer will be Distance / time = (n-1)/X

PS: Such questions will be in the list of first 5 questions in GMAT

Amar

I agree - I think the choices that are given make the point clear. Had they however offered n/x as an option, I think it would have been unclear which they were asking for. I don't think the question is as well worded as it could be.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: When ticket sales began, Pat was the nth customer in line  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2013, 18:44
Rule of three:

x- 1 minute
n-1 - Time

Time = n-1 / x

Gimme Kudos!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-15-2013
GPA: 3.8
WE: Other (Accounting)

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2013, 20:10
yogachgolf wrote:

(A) (n - 1) x
(B) n + x –1
(C) (n-1)/x
(D) x/(n-1)
(E) n/(x-1)

I think C seems to be correct. If Pat was 11th in line, he would have to wait for 10 customers to clear their lines. If the rate is 2 customers per minute, then it'd take 10/2 or, if expressed in terms of n and x = (n-1)/2.
IMO C.
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2015, 07:12
Time in minutes that Pat had to wait before his turn = (n-1)/x
Suppose Pat is 10th in line
and rate at which customers purchase tickets - 3 per min

Time in minutes that Pat had to wait before his turn = 9/3 = 3

:)
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 22:35
let x be 2 mins and n be 20

so 2 customers per minute and to reach 20 it would take 9.5 minutes

substituting x and n values in the options only c satisfies the condition. Option C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V49
GMAT 3: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
When ticket sales began, Pat was the nth customer in line  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2019, 00:49
Use r*t=w formula

r=x/min
t=unknown
w=n-1

t=(n-1)/x

done
When ticket sales began, Pat was the nth customer in line   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2019, 00:49

When ticket sales began, Pat was the nth customer in line

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics