GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 00:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Whenever a major airplane accident occurs, there is a dramatic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Whenever a major airplane accident occurs, there is a dramatic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 02:16
arvind910619 wrote:
TaN1213 wrote:
arvind910619 wrote:

The answer is B

Airline official cites that the news agencies tend to report more about the accidents -major or minor after a serious accident .He further states that more reporting about the accidents does not mean that number of accidents rise .
Now what would invalidate this reasoning used by airline official -something that connects more accidents and more news reporting .
We can see that actually the number of accidents increase during certain peak hours.

We cannot deduce the highlighted part from option B. B states the trend of occurrence of accidents. This does not necessarily mean B claims that the # of accidents have risen during peak travel months. In Gmat, we can not base a fact on a trend.
I would go with C.
Airline officer says that the media coverage is biased. C weakens by giving reason that media coverage is unbiased.

Thank you

Hi Friend ,

The reason i did not opt for C is that even if the media is unbiased then also there may be more accidents happening as we can not clearly deduce from the argument that the accidents did not increase .
If the media do not report minor accidents then we can not be sure about the number of accidents happening therefore i do not see this option in any way weakening the conclusion.
B states that the number of accidents do increase during certain peak hours thus thereby increasing reporting , hence the conclusion is weakened . There are actually more accidents happening hence more reporting .
Hope it helps

Warm Regards,
Arvind

Hello,
I can now see your reasoning behind B.
But I am still not convinced that C does not weaken the argument.

Thank you.

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Director
Director
D
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Whenever a major airplane accident occurs, there is a dramatic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 23:28
Mainly we need to prove that airline accidents are not just the media coverage but beyond that it is a real problem. option B is on same lines. in peak traveling months because of high traffic, high number of accidents occurs and media coverage increases.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2018, 09:14
We need to find a choice which states number of accidents is due to actual accidents not due to news sources

Choice B clearly states that

Other choices states news is reason i.e. choices A,C and D

And irrelevant for E

Posted from my mobile device
Re: Whenever a major airplane accident occurs, there is a dramatic &nbs [#permalink] 06 May 2018, 09:14

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

Whenever a major airplane accident occurs, there is a dramatic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap