It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 19:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 2

Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2009, 15:43
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

39% (01:16) correct 61% (01:15) wrong based on 161 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting the imposition of an alien tax on immigrant workers, after 1897 the United Mine Workers made a determined effort to enlist Italian and Slavs in its ranks.

A) Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting
B) Where once the union acquiesced to its English-speaking members' prejudice for the support of
C) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in support of
D) While once the union acquiesced to its English-speaking members' prejudice in supporting
E) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in its supporting of

please explain answers

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - English-speaking members [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2009, 16:38
neeshpal wrote:
Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting the imposition of an alien tax on immigrant workers, after 1897 the United Mine Workers made a determined effort to enlist Italian and Slavs in its ranks.

A) Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting
B) Where once the union acquiesced to its English-speaking members' prejudice for the support of
C) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in support of
D) While once the union acquiesced to its English-speaking members' prejudice in supporting
E) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in its supporting of

please explain answers

1) Here we need "while" - sentence express time and so we need while. A, B wrong.
2) "after" - After express time sequence clearly and so we need here simple tense for both sentences "acquiesced"
3) "its" - it represent "union" (reflexive pronoun)

Answer is D).

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 861 [0], given: 18

Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2009, 04:55
What is OA? IMO C.
Two actions in the past so the first once should be "had acquiesced".

patedhav wrote:
neeshpal wrote:

please explain answers

1) Here we need "while" - sentence express time and so we need while. A, B wrong.
2) "after" - After express time sequence clearly and so we need here simple tense for both sentences "acquiesced"
3) "its" - it represent "union" (reflexive pronoun)

Answer is D).

Kudos [?]: 861 [0], given: 18

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2009, 12:03
IMO C. One action happened in the past before the other. Therefore, had is required.

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2009, 13:32
C too.

While is needed and not Where.
Had is needed.

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2009, 21:10
My bet is on D. But I disagree with the reason 2). Actually C could be right too if we tweak sentence like-
While once the union had acquiescence to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in support of
it might work. Problem here is we can't use verb after had.. we need adjective or noun there.

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 465 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2009, 22:59
To compare the lightning-fast genius of playwright Tom Stoppard with the pedestrian efforts of some of his contemporaries is to compare the exquisite bouquet of a fine wine with that of ordinary grape juice.

(A) To compare the lightning-fast genius of playwright Tom Stoppard with the
pedestrian efforts of some of his contemporaries is to compare the exquisite bouquet of a fine, wine with that of ordinary grape juice.
(B) To compare the lightning-fast genius of playwright Tom Stoppard with the pedestrian efforts of some of his contemporaries is comparing the exquisite bouquet of a fine wine with that of ordinary grape juice.
(C) Comparing the lightning-fast genius of playwright Tom Stoppard with the pedestrian efforts of some of his contemporaries is to compare the exquisite bouquet of a fine wine with ordinary grape juice.
(D) Comparing the lightning-fast genius of playwright Tom Stoppard with the pedestrian efforts of some of his contemporaries is like comparing the exquisite bouquet of a fine wine with ordinary grape juice.
(E) To compare the lightning-fast genius of playwright Tom Stoppard with the pedestrian efforts of some of his contemporaries is to compare a fine wine’s bouquet with ordinary grape juice’s bouquet.

Kudos [?]: 465 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2009, 03:26
The past perfect verb 'had' plus another verb is used to indicate a past action taking place before another past action.

So here first past action is had acquiesced
and the subsequent past action is after 1897 the United Mine Workers made .....

I go with C

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 13

Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2009, 12:03
hi mates,

IMO C

because after the comma, "after 1987" appears, "while" is needed. Thefore, A and B out.

Then, after the comma, the sentence uses simple past, therfore, past perfect is needed in the previous one, because the previous sentence describes and action that started in the past and ends in the past too. Thefore, D out.

Now between C and E, "in supporting" sounds better to me.

OA and Source?

Thanks

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
http://gmatclub.com/forum/johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 10

Schools: Kellogg (R1 Dinged),Cornell (R2), Emory(Interview Scheduled), IESE (R1 Interviewed), ISB (Interviewed), LBS (R2), Vanderbilt (R3 Interviewed)

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2009, 09:34
C.
in support of is correct.
"Had" is required to show the time difference between the events

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 10

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2009, 09:38
C give the correct meaning and acquiesced to is closer to the prejudices

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2009, 20:08
I think C

Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting[/u] the imposition of an alien tax on immigrant workers, after 1897 the United Mine Workers made a determined effort to enlist Italian and Slavs in its ranks.

A) Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting --> where and by supporting are not suitable here
B) Where once the union acquiesced to its English-speaking members' prejudice for the support of --> the same as (A), also past simple tense of the main verb is not correct
C) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in support of --> in support of is the best, also while is the most suitable and the past perfect tense of the main verb
D) While once the union acquiesced to its English-speaking members' prejudice in supporting --> mentioned errors
E) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in its supporting of --> mentioned errors

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2009, 02:57
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting the imposition of an alien tax on immigrant workers, after 1897 the United Mine Workers made a determined effort to enlist Italians and Slavs in its ranks.
(A) Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting
(B) Where once the union acquiesced to it English-speaking members’ prejudice for the support of
(C) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in support of
(D) While once the union acquiesced to its English-speaking members’ prejudice in supporting
(E) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in its supporting of

Why C is wrong ??

"CEO in making"

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager

Re: SC - Where Vs While [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2009, 03:54
This post was
BOOKMARKED
IMO A

Where is better than while, I think, because while describes a continuous action, but here in the context, this is an momentary action

Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting the imposition of an alien tax on immigrant workers, after 1897 the United Mine Workers made a determined effort to enlist Italians and Slavs in its ranks.
(A) Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting -->best. Where is correct. past perfect tense also appropriate describes an action happened before another action in the past. The original meaning is: The union supported the imposition of tax ... to acquiesce to the prejudices of its ...
(B) Where once the union acquiesced to it English-speaking members’ prejudice for the support of --> past simple is not good enough. Besides, this choice means that the union agrees to the prejudice that it will support the imposition of tax ... --> distorting original meaning
(C) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in support of -->while is flawed, same distorted meaning as B
(D) While once the union acquiesced to its English-speaking members’ prejudice in supporting -->same errors as C's. Past tense is also flawed
(E) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in its supporting of -->same errors as C's. Besides, in its supporting of is more wordy

Last edited by Minheequang on 18 May 2009, 04:12, edited 2 times in total.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 503 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2009, 03:57
I chose A over C: "had acquiesced....by supporting" seems more idiomatic than "had acquiesced....in support of".

tenaman10 wrote:
(A) Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting
(B) Where once the union acquiesced to it English-speaking members’ prejudice for the support of
(C) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in support of
(D) While once the union acquiesced to its English-speaking members’ prejudice in supporting
(E) While once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members in its supporting of

Why C is wrong ??

Kudos [?]: 503 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 460 [0], given: 60

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2009, 04:02
(A) Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting - right one

We need to use other options, not 'while'. By use of 'while' we're making both parts of sentence going simultaneously, while the 1st part happened earlier.
IMHO, (A)

Kudos [?]: 460 [0], given: 60

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2009, 07:01
This is number 925 from the 1000 series.

The OA given is A, which I too don't agree with. I chose C.

Correct me if am wrong, but "where" should be used to denote a place.

Some people argue that "while" is a continuous action, however, the use of past perfect "had" takes care of this.

Can someone explain clearly, preceisely why A should be the right answer, if it is the right answer.

Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 396 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2009, 07:19
sid3699 wrote:
This is number 925 from the 1000 series.

The OA given is A, which I too don't agree with. I chose C.

Correct me if am wrong, but "where" should be used to denote a place.

Some people argue that "while" is a continuous action, however, the use of past perfect "had" takes care of this.

Can someone explain clearly, preceisely why A should be the right answer, if it is the right answer.

Thanks.

According to GMAT rules the answer should not be A.

I'm going with C in this one. The past perfect is preferred in this situation to establish the relation between the two events.

C) the prejudices of its English-speaking members in support of

its English-speaking members' prejudice in supporting ---> unpacking --->

D) the prejudice of its English-speaking members in supporting

In option C prejudices is plural, what I think makes more sense.
I think in support of is preferred to in supporting

Kudos [?]: 396 [0], given: 9

Expert Post
Math Expert
P

Kudos [?]: 5868 [0], given: 118

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2009, 09:01
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
hi,
i feel the usage of where is not wrong here....
and what stands out in favour of A is the usage of 'by supporting'...
ask a ques' how had the union acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members?'
and the ans would be 'the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its English-speaking members by supporting[/u] the imposition of an alien tax on immigrant workers' and not in supporting...
only A follows it

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5868 [0], given: 118

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2009, 18:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Can someone please explain? I don't agree with the OA

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 9

Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its   [#permalink] 27 Oct 2009, 18:01

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 42 posts ] 

Where once the union had acquiesced to the prejudices of its

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap