Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos

Where should TJ go?

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
Re: Where should TJ go: Duke v. Kellogg v. MIT? [#permalink]
So you're saying that you will choose a school based on the poll results? Hmm... :roll: How about rolling a die or flipping a coin?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
I voted Duke....Primary reasons are below,

Healthcare reputation
Money & Climate
Healthcare reputation
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Send PM
xerox wrote:
So you're saying that you will choose a school based on the poll results? Hmm... :roll: How about rolling a die or flipping a coin?

Unless my eyes are tricking me, I didn't see anything that would leave me to believe that TJ was choosing his school based on this poll result. "I open it up for your comments and suggestions" seems to be pretty straightforward imo. /shrug

Now back to topic: I would say Duke just considering your interests. Duke is already at that top 10 mark just on its own but when you include its premier health sciences/industry advantage, that would bump it up a few more notches imo. Add in a 50% tuition scholarship with good food and good weather and that's looking pretty sweet.

Either way, you're going to receive an incredible education from either of those schools. Best of luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
I voted MIT because I personally think the program is absolutely stellar, especially for candidates with TJ's focus. Arguably, MIT's brand is by far the strongest "tech MBA" type in the world. At the same time, each of the programs you've been admitted to are super good.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:UNC class of 2010
Send PM
I'd say Duke, I live in the triangle and have spent several years at VC backed biotech companies....the reputation of Duke's HSM program is stellar, throw in the nice scholly and its a great opportunity, MIT or Kellog are hard to pass up though
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Well you know what my vote is going to be. There is too much interesting stuff happening in and around Boston as far as biotech goes. Chicago doesn't have that life sciences VC and biotech community and although Raleigh-Durham has some it doesn't come close. I mean Massachusetts General Hospital and a couple others in the Partners Health system get in excess of $1 billion in NIH grants that easily exceeds the R & D budgets of most corporations, for example Genentech's in 2006 $454 million. The intellectual capital factory of MIT's engineering schools, including biochemical engineering, etc, and Harvard Medical School make Boston too irresistible from a life science perspective. Check out this link to a biotech map of Cambridge.
https://entrepreneurship.mit.edu/biotech/invite/map2006.pdf
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
I would agree with Clarks on the biotech options in Chicago vs Boston. My partner is wrapping up his PhD in microbiology, and in our discussions of where to go next, we have Boston, the Triangle, and the Bay Area on our lists. I like Chicago a lot, but there's just not a ton of stuff available to him.

clarksdv2 wrote:
Well you know what my vote is going to be. There is too much interesting stuff happening in and around Boston as far as biotech goes. Chicago doesn't have that life sciences VC and biotech community and although Raleigh-Durham has some it doesn't come close. I mean Massachusetts General Hospital and a couple others in the Partners Health system get in excess of $1 billion in NIH grants that easily exceeds the R & D budgets of most corporations, for example Genentech's in 2006 $454 million. The intellectual capital factory of MIT's engineering schools, including biochemical engineering, etc, and Harvard Medical School make Boston too irresistible from a life science perspective. Check out this link to a biotech map of Cambridge.
https://entrepreneurship.mit.edu/biotech/invite/map2006.pdf
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
KELLOGG!

https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/aca ... /index.htm

If you want Biotech - Kellogg has an entire department focused on it (see link above).

Also TJ, if you want my treatise on Kellogg vs. MIT and my decision making process, I now have an easy copy and paste email (I've spoken with tons of people now on Kellogg vs. MIT - it seems to be a popular decision this year). Just PM me and I can flip it to you.

Regardless, you can't go wrong with any of the three schools!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
xerox wrote:

haha Xerox :lol: I think we all know that isn't true...just looking for the thoughtful, intelligent comments of other gmatclubbers since you guys have researched the other schools as much as I have and may have some insights that I hadn't considered.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Hi voted Kellogg based purely on the fact that I have a friend who is a 1st year at Kellogg and she is also into the BioTech industry with the same goals as yours. She is doing really well and has just scored an intership with an international bio-tech firm.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Hi TJ, I voted for MIT...as someone on the east coast, I think MIT is miles away from anyone else in the healthcare sector, and it looks like they have some great programs that will benefit you. To be fair though, I know nearly nothing about Duke, and it seems like healthcare is not one of Kellogg's specialties (but again, I'm not sure).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I voted MIT. Given your career goals, I think their tech-focused image and strong history of producing biotech leaders fits best. As someone with similar healthcare interests, the only school I applied to outside of H/S was MIT.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond...it is very interesting to me that at this point the poll is nearly split all 3 ways--which is how I'm feeling :? The Duke deposit is due next week and DAK is next weekend so hopefully I will get some good information there. I really appreciate your comments, it helps to get the perspective of other applicants and hear about your experiences
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
During admitted students weekends there are typically times to talk to clubs and also majors, your best bet is to talk to folks who are going into those fields. As much as folks on here know about the whole b-school thing, most of us arent living it yet. Current students and faculty will give you a much better perspective as to what each school really offers. I know Kellogg and Duke both have very good bio management programs, I know nothing about that area at MIT although their engineering areas are very strong so the institution will have a good name in the field no matter what.

Seek out people during the admitted student weekends that are going into the field and ask them about their experiences...you may be surprised by how similar the schools are with job prospects or how drastically different they are. Since thats an industry that have no real knowledge of, I cant really give you an opinion on which school would be best for you.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
TJ, I'm surprised based on what you want to do, you did not apply to Haas' MBA/MPH program, which is one of the top programs in the country, coupled with the Bay Area's strength in healthcare management. :)

But with that said, MIT is definitely a school I've heard about that has been compared to Haas' healthcare program, so I voted for that. The only issue I see is whether you like the culture and climate there. Kellogg seems to fit your cultural preferences better, Duke the weather, and MIT the healthcare field. Very very tough choice...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
TJ, I'm surprised based on what you want to do, you did not apply to Haas' MBA/MPH program, which is one of the top programs in the country, coupled with the Bay Area's strength in healthcare management. :)

Hey Kryzak, interesting comment about Haas. I strongly considered applying there...I did the class visit and tour thing when I was in SF last year. I was very impressed and it was definitely on my short list. However, I decided that I needed to keep my applications to a reasonable number and decided to only apply to 4 schools (both for my own sanity and that of my recommenders :) ). I was deciding between applying to Stanford and Berkeley as my west coast / bay area choice and I ultimately decided to apply to Stanford (and was subsequently *dinged* :| ).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Hi TJ, ahh, was just curious, that's all. I only know that I've spoken to a lot of MBA/MPH students who rave about the program. Stanford is definitely very very good too. Sorry about the ding, I guess this year (and next year) Stanford is impossible to get in...
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2