GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Sep 2019, 21:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Whereas American dialects of the English language

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Operations, Other
GMAT 1: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Re: Whereas American dialects of the English language  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2019, 09:09
lifeforhuskar wrote:
Hi,
I have one doubt, this statement compares American dialects of English with European dialect. Thats the only comparison I could not comprehend.

Thanks in advance for the explanation.

hey,
In this sentence comparison is between 2 dialects of english language. one is american dialects and other is european dialects. Both dialects are of same english language. You can understand in following expansion of same sentence:
Whereas American dialects of the English language often adopt words from other languages, European dialects OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE tend toward the creation of new terms and expressions.
The red colored portion is unnecessary and need not be repeated as same can be understood from the original meaning of sentence.

Hope this helps
thanks
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Whereas American dialects of the English language  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2019, 04:40
kavach wrote:
Whereas American dialects of the English language often adopt words from other languages, those of European dialects tend toward the creation of new terms and expressions.

Fairly easy question:
Things to note - The comparison is between American dialects and European dialects.
American Dialects is Plural hence the verb will be adopt.

Now let's do the POE.

(A) English language often adopt words from other languages, those of European dialects tend
This is incorrect as the wrong comparison is being made.

(B) English language often adopt words from other languages, that of European dialects tends

(C) language of English often adopts words from other languages, that of European dialects tends

(D) English language often adopts words from other languages, European dialects tend
The comparison is correct however, there is a subject-verb disagreement because the sentence has ADOPTS.

(E) English language often adopt words from other languages, European dialects tend
This is the correct choice, as it avoids all the above-mentioned errors.

Hence the correct answer is E.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Whereas American dialects of the English language   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2019, 04:40

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   [ 82 posts ] 

Whereas American dialects of the English language

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics