It is currently 15 Jan 2018, 23:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9612 [0], given: 351

Re: Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 11:50
ss18 wrote:
Hi Sayantan,

I have a question. In the construction "Whereas X, Y", do X and Y need to be parallel. In A, they don't seem to be parallel.

Can you please help?

Best,
S

Hi ss18,

I would be happy to help you. :)

In this official sentence, we do see the structure whereas X, Y in which X and Y are parallel because both X and Y are a clause.

X = lines of competition are clearly defined in the more established industries,
Y = in the Internet industry they are blurred and indistinct,...

(Subjects = blue, Verbs = Green)

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9612 [0], given: 351

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 46

GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 23:59
Thank you, Shradha. I appreciate your time and such a quickly reply! I think I didn't elaborate on my query well. While both X and Y are clauses, my confusion was akin to how Unlike X, Y work.

Consider this construction using "Unlike X, Y" : Unlike Angela, Mary has siblings. Here, Angela and Mary are being compared about a certain aspect and the sentence must be written with the nouns (the entity being compared) adjacent to each other.

Option A(correct choice) : Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more established industries, in the Internet industry they are blurred and indistinct, as companies that compete one day may be partners the next.

Query 1: In Option A, which is the correct answer, I agree that X and Y are clauses and hence grammatically parallel. My confusion is that does a strict rule regarding placement of the quantity being compared apply to "Whereas X, Y" too?

Query 2: Do these modified versions work?

Modified (A), I've moved phrase "in the Internet industry": Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more established industries, they are blurred and indistinct in the Internet industry, as companies that compete one day may be partners the next.

Or

Modified (A), I've added a comma after "internet industry" : Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more established industries, in the Internet industry, they are blurred and indistinct, as companies that compete one day may be partners the next.

I hope I've not convoluted my query!

Best,
S

egmat wrote:
ss18 wrote:
Hi Sayantan,

I have a question. In the construction "Whereas X, Y", do X and Y need to be parallel. In A, they don't seem to be parallel.

Can you please help?

Best,
S

Hi ss18,

I would be happy to help you. :)

In this official sentence, we do see the structure whereas X, Y in which X and Y are parallel because both X and Y are a clause.

X = lines of competition are clearly defined in the more established industries,
Y = in the Internet industry they are blurred and indistinct,...

(Subjects = blue, Verbs = Green)

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 46

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8545 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 03:29
Top Contributor
Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more established industries, in the Internet industry they are blurred and indistinct, as companies that compete one day may be partners the next.

A. Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more established industries, in the Internet industry they are blurred and indistinct, as companies that compete -- The adverb 'one day' is correctly modifying the verb compete. correct choice

B. Although the lines of competition are clearly defined in industries that are more established, they are blurred and indistinct in the Internet industry, as competing companies ---The adverbial modifier 'one day' in the non-underlined part is wrongly modifying the noun companies.

C. The lines of competition are clearly defined in the more established industries, unlike the Internet where they are blurred and indistinct, as companies that compete -- 1. Unparallel comparison; the Internet is being compared with 'in the more established industries'. 2. The Internet is not a place to be referred by 'where'

D. Unlike more established industries, where the lines of competition are clearly defined, they are blurred and indistinct in the Internet industry, as companies that compete ---1. where is not a place to be modified by 'where'. 2. Unparallel comparison. 'in the Internet industry' is being compared with just more established industries and not 'in the more established industries'

E. Unlike more established industries, with clearly defined lines of competition, those of the Internet industry are blurred and indistinct, as competing companies ----Unparallel comparison; of the Internet industry is being compared with just more established industries and not of the more established industries

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8545 [0], given: 366

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 240

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 19:17
Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more established industries, in the Internet industry they are blurred and indistinct, as companies that compete one day may be partners the next.

A. Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more established industries, in the Internet industry they are blurred and indistinct, as companies that compete
B. Although the lines of competition are clearly defined in industries that are more established, they are blurred and indistinct in the Internet industry, as competing companies
C. The lines of competition are clearly defined in the more established industries, unlike the Internet where they are blurred and indistinct, as companies that compete
D. Unlike more established industries, where the lines of competition are clearly defined, they are burred and indistinct in the Internet industry, as companies that compete
E. Unlike more established industries, with clearly defined lines of competition, those of the Internet industry are blurred and indistinct, as competing companies

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 240

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 11:11
Could you please explain why option a is better than option b(in what respect)?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 32 [2], given: 240

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 18:04
This post received
KUDOS
VKat wrote:

Pay attention to the non-underlined phrase one day, phrase one day can not modify the noun companies --> option B is wrong; instead, phrase one day should modify the verb compete --> option A is correct.

PS: To modify a noun like companies in B, we should you an adjective or another noun. phrase one day here is an adverb.

Does all this make sense? :P

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 32 [2], given: 240

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 59

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.12
WE: Education (Internet and New Media)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 21:07

The clear understanding of the sentence will eliminate all the wrong choice

Meaning
The competition of the established industries are more defined and structure but in the Internet industry, the competition is very blurred and indistinct to such an extent that the rivals companies become friends quite often.

Here competition lines (behavior) of the established industries and competition lines (behavior)of the internet industries are compared

POE
A. Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more established industries, in the Internet industry they are blurred and indistinct, as companies that compete
The meaning is intact and the comparing entities are apt.
B. Although the lines of competition are clearly defined in industries that are more established, they are blurred and indistinct in the Internet industry, as competing companies
Meaning ambiguity: Here as competing companies the second sentence presents as evidence for the blurred and indistinct competition lines of the internet industry. This is not the intended meaning
C. The lines of competition are clearly defined in the more established industries, unlike the Internet where they are blurred and indistinct, as companies that compete
The comparing entities are wrong
The lines of competition and Internet

D. Unlike more established industries, where the lines of competition are clearly defined, they are burred and indistinct in the Internet industry, as companies that compete
The comparing entities are wrong.
more established industries and the lines of competition

E. Unlike more established industries, with clearly defined oflines of competition, those of the Internet industry are blurred and indistinct, as competing companies
The comparing entities are wrong
more established industries and lines of competition

Never stop fighting until you arrive at your destined place - that is, the unique you. Have an aim in life, continuously acquire knowledge, work hard, and have the perseverance to realise the great life. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 59

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 606

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 07:48
Imo A

C and D are out because they use where to refer to internet .
E is wordy and use those of does not refer back to anything , it should refer back to the The lines of competition but in E this does not happen .
Also note that we need companies that compete one day to correctly reflect the idea that competitors can become partners .
B is missing that although comparison is correct here .
Competing companies one day what ?
Does not make sense .

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 606

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2266 [0], given: 501

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 12:57
leanhdung wrote:
VKat wrote:

Pay attention to the non-underlined phrase one day, phrase one day can not modify the noun companies --> option B is wrong; instead, phrase one day should modify the verb compete --> option A is correct.

PS: To modify a noun like companies in B, we should you an adjective or another noun. phrase one day here is an adverb.

Does all this make sense? :P

Very nice, leanhdung! :thumbup:

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2266 [0], given: 501

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 76

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 2.92
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 08:42
daagh wrote:
Quote:

This is a comparison between the fledgling Internet industry and other industries that are more established than the Internet industry. Again logically speaking, they can only refer to the lines and not the established Industries. Although and whereas are both contrast markers and I would feel any of them is good enough.

However, we can decide this question through grammatical clues.

A. Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more established industries, in the Internet industry they are blurred and indistinct, as companies that compete ---'One day' is an adverb and requires a verb such as compete to modify. That is what A provides. Correct.

B. Although the lines of competition are clearly defined in industries that are more established, they are blurred and indistinct in the Internet industry, as competing companies -- The adverb ‘one day’ cannot modify 'companies', a noun.

C. The lines of competition are clearly defined in the more established industries, unlike the Internet where they are blurred and indistinct, as companies that compete – The Internet is a not a physical place. ‘Where’ is not the appropriate relative pronoun to refer to ‘Internet’.

D. Unlike more established industries, where the lines of competition are clearly defined, they are blurred and indistinct in the Internet industry, as companies that compete --- Industries are not places that can be referred by ‘where’.

E. Unlike more established industries, with clearly defined lines of competition, those of the Internet industry are blurred and indistinct, as competing companies -- ‘those’ is wrong since the comparison is with Internet Industry and not those of the internet industry. In addition, competing companies 'has' modification problems as in B

I'm confused
per choice B, The adverb ‘one day’ cannot modify 'companies', a noun.
so what about "the next" in the non underline part. Which part does it modify?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 76

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 12:01
in chapter 6 of manhattan book, it is mentioned that Do not use comparative adjectives unless you have THAN in the sentence. "With winter coming, I will have higher energy bills" -wrong but in Option A we does not have THAN. is it assumed defined in the more established industries [than] in the internet industry.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 43

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3784 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 08:04
Avinash_R1 wrote:
in chapter 6 of manhattan book, it is mentioned that Do not use comparative adjectives unless you have THAN in the sentence. "With winter coming, I will have higher energy bills" -wrong but in Option A we does not have THAN. is it assumed defined in the more established industries [than] in the internet industry.

Your understanding is in the right direction, but not exactly on the target - here "more established industries" refer to the industries that are more established than the Internet industry (not that "..more clearly defined in certain other industries than in Internet industry" - the use of "in" before "the internet industry" in your post is wrong.)

Also this example shows that a comparative adjective can used even without "than" when the comparison is implied.

Kudos [?]: 3784 [0], given: 22

Re: Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2017, 08:04

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   [ 112 posts ] 

Whereas lines of competition are clearly defined in the more

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap