Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Technology, Statistics
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Which course to take and when to schedule GMAT [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi LoneWolf14159,

Since you took your 1st CAT/mock in early June, that was almost 6 months ago - and since it sounds as though you have been studying in an inconsistent fashion since then, before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What type of study routine have you been following? Over the last 3 months, how many hours have you typically studied each week?
2) What study materials have you been using? When did you take your 2nd practice CAT/mock?
3) What is your goal score?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

760+: What GMAT Assassins Do To Score at the Highest Levels

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi LoneWolf14159,

Since you took your 1st CAT/mock in early June, that was almost 6 months ago - and since it sounds as though you have been studying in an inconsistent fashion since then, before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What type of study routine have you been following? Over the last 3 months, how many hours have you typically studied each week?
2) What study materials have you been using? When did you take your 2nd practice CAT/mock?
3) What is your goal score?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

I have been studying from OG mainly, and have been going through questions. My study time is about 4-5 hrs a week, and I took my second mock test on 27 Nov, my target score is 750. Since I'm planning to apply after a year and a half I haven't started shortlisting any schools yet. The reason I'm planning to give the GMAT early is that I want to give CAT next year to maximize my options.

Posted from my mobile device
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
LoneWolf14159 wrote:
Hi all,
I started studying for GMAT a few months ago and have been on and off from preparation since then, I was planning to take a course to keep me regular in my preparation and offer me a better insight on how exactly to prepare, I went through the reviews on GMAT Club and decided that e-GMAT would be a good course to take. I am a first-timer and want to get a good score on the first attempt because the courses and the exam are pretty expensive, I was confused between the 2-month and the 4-month plan, as I have a boxing tournament coming up in late December and would be out for a week.
I have given 2 mock tests on mba.com and my score was:
Attempt 1: 700, V34 Q50
Attempt 2: 660, V32 Q49
Should I plan my GMAT in January after the 2-month course or in March after the 4-month course?
Thanks

Hi LoneWolf14159,

It's good that you started seeking out suggestions during your initial stages of prep. This will save you a lot of time. There are certain things you need to follow during your prep. Having a right study plan will save you half the effort. Before that, you need to understand what is actually tested on GMAT. Because without knowing the destination, there's no point starting your journey. Let me elaborate it to you.

What is tested on GMAT?

GMAT is a test of application of concepts. So, once you learn the concepts, it's important to learn the application of those concepts as well. Because most questions on GMAT are framed along the application point of view. And to reach a level of 700, it's important that you learn the right methodology to solve the questions.

The right way to prepare:

When you do your prep, make sure you follow the below sequence.
  • Learn the concepts ( Deal with one topic at a time )
  • Learn the methodology of that topic (Most important)
  • Practice a few questions to solidify your learning
  • Move to the next topic only if you get at least 80% accuracy
  • If not, revisit the concepts and make sure to understand them better
  • Once you are done with all the topics, start taking timed quizzes

As you see, I have highlighted the second step that is learning the right methodology. So, you need to make sure that you select a standard resource which helps you learn the concepts, learn the methodology and then lets you practice questions and take timed quizzes. And the best way to learn the right methodology is to analyze the solutions. Spend considerable time on analyzing solutions even if you get the question right. Compare your approach with the right one and narrow down the gaps if any. So, all in all, look for a resource which provides you all the content on a single platform, thereby reducing your effort to shuffle among various resources.

How to make a proper study plan?

The right way to make a proper study plan is to organize the concepts based on their difficulty level, dedicate a few hours to study every day and then make clear deadlines for every week. Having clear deadlines will help you stay motivated right till the end. Having said that, as you are a beginner, you might find it difficult to make a proper study plan. And following a generic study plan is not advisable because you need to create a study plan based on the number of hours you can dedicate for studies.

You can get your personalized study plan for free by signing up for free trial of the course. The dashboard asks you for the number of hours you can dedicate in a week and then creates a study plan for you. You will be provided weekly deadlines as well. So, all you have to do is to follow that study plan. Or if you need any help doing that, you can get in touch with me over a call. You can use the below link to schedule a free consultation call.

Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi LoneWolf14159,

Studying for the GMAT now - far in advance of when you will actually "need" your Score - is a smart choice. Many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores (and during that time, it's common to study 10-15 hours a week - or more). As such, with a Score Goal of 750+, you will likely have to increase your overall study hours per week. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. As an aside, the 750+ score is approximately the 98th percentile - meaning that most GMATers never score that high on the Official Exam. Thankfully, NO Business School actually requires that you score that high - so it's important to realize that the score that you "want" and the score that you "need" to get into your first-choice School are probably not the same thing.

Taking a week or so 'off' from your studies in late December isn't necessarily a bad thing (while GMAT skills do tend to 'fade' over time, it's unlikely that you would lose all of your accumulated knowledge in such a relatively short amount of time). Assuming that your current ability level is in the high-600s right now, you could potentially hit your Score Goal in 1.5 - 2 months, IF you are focused on honing the necessary Tactical skills for the Quant and Verbal sections.

1) Are you planning to take the At-home GMAT or are you planning to take your GMAT at a Test Facility?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi LoneWolf14159,

Studying for the GMAT now - far in advance of when you will actually "need" your Score - is a smart choice. Many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores (and during that time, it's common to study 10-15 hours a week - or more). As such, with a Score Goal of 750+, you will likely have to increase your overall study hours per week. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. As an aside, the 750+ score is approximately the 98th percentile - meaning that most GMATers never score that high on the Official Exam. Thankfully, NO Business School actually requires that you score that high - so it's important to realize that the score that you "want" and the score that you "need" to get into your first-choice School are probably not the same thing.

Taking a week or so 'off' from your studies in late December isn't necessarily a bad thing (while GMAT skills do tend to 'fade' over time, it's unlikely that you would lose all of your accumulated knowledge in such a relatively short amount of time). Assuming that your current ability level is in the high-600s right now, you could potentially hit your Score Goal in 1.5 - 2 months, IF you are focused on honing the necessary Tactical skills for the Quant and Verbal sections.

1) Are you planning to take the At-home GMAT or are you planning to take your GMAT at a Test Facility?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

I'll mostly be taking it at a test facility, so that if something goes wrong it's not my fault 😅
I can maybe invest 10-12 hrs a week to give time to my job as well

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi LoneWolf14159,

I've sent you a PM with some notes and additional questions.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot