Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Complete the Passagex                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2373 [43]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q48  V28
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [9]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [3]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2373 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q48  V28
Send PM
Re: People buy prestige when they buy a premium product. They want to be a [#permalink]
I am still not clear in fact i am not able to understand option B please can you give it a one more try.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: People buy prestige when they buy a premium product. They want to be a [#permalink]
People buy a premium product ( which is not very common and not everyone is accessible or eligible to buy it ) and therefore they buy prestige ( exclusivity and the pride to own something special) along with the product.
They want to be associated with some special (which is not common to all) such products.

Mass marketing makes a product common,so a large population uses that product,the exclusivity reduces and the prestige vanishes.Price reduction plays an important role, it means that when larger population to consume or buy that product the aura exclusivity of the product vanishes.

(B) has this in it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [1]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Kudos
People buy prestige when they buy a premium product. They want to be associated with something special. Mass-marketing techniques and price-reduction strategies should not be used because______
Premises: People buy prestige when they buy a premium product. They want to be associated with something special.

Conclusion: Mass-marketing techniques and price-reduction strategies should not be used

You need to strengthen this conclusion. So you need to find a link between premises and conclusion first. The reason the author made such a conclusion is that using such techniques and strategy will take away that premium and special factor from the product and buyers of such product will not feel like buying a special and premium product resulting in a loss of sales.

(A) affluent purchasers currently represent a shrinking portion of the population of all purchasers.

if this is the case then this will weaken the conclusion as such techniques may actually improve the customer base.

(B) continued sales depend directly on the maintenance of an aura of exclusivity

This matches our prethinking. Should be the ans.

(C) purchasers of premium products are concerned with the quality as well as with the price of the products

If purchasers of premium products are concerned about price then price reduction may work. This weakens the conclusion somewhat.

(D) expansion of the market niche to include a broader spectrum of consumers will increase profits

But then why are we concluding that price reduction strategies won't work. This is inconsistent with the conclusion.

(E) manufacturing a premium brand is not necessarily more costly than manufacturing a standard brand of the same product

Again inconsistent with the conclusion as this option also doesn't justify such a conclusion.

Ans. B
Manager
Manager
Status:Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Which of the following best completes the passage below?

People buy prestige when they buy a premium product. They want to be associated with something special. Mass-marketing techniques and price-reduction strategies should not be used because______

(A) affluent purchasers currently represent a shrinking portion of the population of all purchasers
As per this option, the wealthy purchasers currently represent a small chunk of the entire population of all purchasers. So, it favors the usage of mass-marketing techniques and price-reduction strategies in order to attract more customers who maybe poor or impoverished. This option statement goes against the flow, therefore, is incorrect.

(B) continued sales depend directly on the maintenance of an aura of exclusivity
This option statement goes with the flow of the last statement of the above argument. In order to maintain the aura of exclusivity or prestige of the premium products, the mass-marketing techniques and the price-reduction strategies should be refrained in order to avoid the reach of these premium products to the impoverished mass of people.

(C) purchasers of premium products are concerned with the quality as well as with the price of the products
?ANY EXPLANATION FOR THIS OPTION?

(D) expansion of the market niche to include a broader spectrum of consumers will increase profits
This option statement also goes against the flow of the last statement of the above argument. As per this option, mass-marketing techniques and price-reduction strategies should be used as that will increase profits. So, its beneficial. Hence, this option statement is incorrect.

(E) manufacturing a premium brand is not necessarily more costly than manufacturing a standard brand of the same product.
This option compares the manufacturing costs of a premium brand with a standard brand of the same product. But that is not relevant to why the mass-marketing techniques and price-reduction strategies should not be used.

I am not very clear with the option C, though I picked B as the correct answer. Can someone help me in explaining me why option C is wrong?

Edit : My understanding for option C, purchasers of premium products are concerned with the quality as well as with the price of the products
PURCHASERS OF PREMIUM PRODUCTS (PURCHASERS WHO WANT TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH SOMETHING SPECIAL) ARE CONCERNED WITH -
a. quality of the products - as per my understanding, the quality of those products should be excellent/outstanding, and mass-marketing OR price reduction techniques will result in hampering of the quality only, so such techniques should not be used. so it supports the conclusion
b. price of the products - to maintain the prestige of premium products, the price should be high, thereby proving that the price reduction techniques should be avoided.

Thus, option C also seems to be a good contender for this question. But why is this option wrong. Can someone explain??

Originally posted by vnigam21 on 06 Aug 2017, 03:39.
Last edited by vnigam21 on 06 Aug 2017, 21:31, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Status:Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
I am not very clear with the option C, though I picked B as the correct answer. Can someone help me in explaining me why option C is wrong?

Edit : My understanding for option C, purchasers of premium products are concerned with the quality as well as with the price of the products
PURCHASERS OF PREMIUM PRODUCTS (PURCHASERS WHO WANT TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH SOMETHING SPECIAL) ARE CONCERNED WITH -
a. quality of the products - as per my understanding, the quality of those products should be excellent/outstanding, and mass-marketing OR price reduction techniques will result in hampering of the quality only, so such techniques should not be used. so it supports the conclusion
b. price of the products - to maintain the prestige of premium products, the price should be high, thereby proving that the price reduction techniques should be avoided.

Thus, option C also seems to be a good contender for this question. But why is this option wrong. Can someone explain??
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2332 [2]
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vnigam21 Your explanations for options A, B, D, and E are correct. Option A would be a good contender for the correct choice if it said the opposite i.e. affluent purchasers currently represent a growing portion of the population of all purchasers.

Option C is wrong because neither mass marketing techniques nor price reductions strategies have anything to do with the quality of the product. If you reduce the price of a product, the quality of the product doesn't go down automatically. The "quality" part is what makes this option wrong. The "price" part of option C makes sense in the context of the argument.

- Chiranjeev
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
nightblade354 generis KarishmaB pikolo2510 GMATNinja gmatexam439

I have a query regarding explanation by ChiranjeevSingh and would like to share my reasoning for the same.

Quote:
Which of the following best completes the passage below?

People buy prestige when they buy a premium product. They want to be associated with something special. Mass-marketing techniques and price-reduction strategies should not be used because ______.

Premium = Unique
Mass-marketing techniques (MMR) and price-reduction strategies (PRS) would pull sales :thumbdown:
Is above correct inference till this stage?
In PoE I am looking for striking out anything that helps / supports MMR / PRS

Quote:
(A) affluent purchasers currently represent a shrinking portion of the population of all purchasers

This option is discarded since it links PRICE = AFFLUENT (wealthy)
Q stem is against price / mass marketing. Out

Even if affluent purchasers currently represent a growing portion of the population of all purchasers
this rephrase option is against the answer choice.

Quote:

One key word and you won the game:
EXCLUSIVITY : (recall mutually exclusive events from quant ;) )
Link products that are exclusive with those that are unique and the fits 'fill in the blank' in apt manner

Quote:

An over exaggeration of (A). This one links one more parameter that I do not want in pic: quality. OUT

Quote:

Profits , hmm not much sure, but wait more importantly : expansion = mass marketing. Opps that is again opposite
to what I want. OUT.

Quote:
(E) manufacturing a premium brand is not necessarily more costly than manufacturing a standard brand of the same product

Why are we comparing manufacturing cost of standard product and premium one. Out of scope.

Let me know if my reasoning and PoE is correct.
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5736 [1]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani,

your explanations look good. I disagree that (A) would be correct if it said wealthy people are a growing sector of their business. It is completely irrelevant, unless the author were to combine (A) and (B). If they are a growing number, it still wouldn't answer the WHY of the question: Why can't we lower prices? I think you were right to question that explanation, so good catch!

Does this help?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts