Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2233 [97]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [57]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [6]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.38
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: At large amusement parks, live shows are used very deliberately to inf [#permalink]
Kudos
The question informs us that shows are planned in a way as to "relieve" pressure during lunch times and to encourage people to stay for supper at night.

Option D tends to tell us that the park wants people to come and eat at the restaurant, but that is not the problem since people are eating there as explained by the question that lunch time is full.

Options E on the other hand explains the logic quite well whereby the park wants the restaurants to be fully utilized by planning the shows in a way that people will end up eating at the restaurants.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [3]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Re: At large amusement parks, live shows are used very deliberately to inf [#permalink]
Kudos
(A) keeping the lines at the various rides short by drawing off part of the crowd - sensible but outside information.
(B) enhancing revenue by attracting people who come only for the live shows and then leave the park - outside information
(C) avoiding as far as possible traffic jams caused by visitors entering or leaving the park - outside information
(D) encouraging as many people as possible to come to the park in order to eat at the restaurants - close , But supports only one part ( the evening part ..... kind of contrasting with the lunch part )
(E) utilizing the restaurants at optimal levels for as much of the day as possible CORRECT - the strategy described is likely to distribute the restaurant heading crowed evenly with the intention to have an even customer flow to the eateries throughout the day so that those eating joints can be utilized optimally.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
u1983 gmat1393 VeritasKarishma nightblade354

Are below two different purposes at the amusement park?
1. For lunch, huge crowd is expected at cafeteria. So let us conduct live shows
at the same time, so people will watch shows and come back to restaurants later.
2. For supper, fewer people come to restaurants. So conduct shows BEFORE the supper,
so that people stay back to first watch shows and then go to restaurants.

Why is the revenue from restaurants / live shows irrelevant to the argument here?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
adkikani wrote:
u1983 gmat1393 VeritasKarishma nightblade354

Are below two different purposes at the amusement park?
1. For lunch, huge crowd is expected at cafeteria. So let us conduct live shows
at the same time, so people will watch shows and come back to restaurants later.
2. For supper, fewer people come to restaurants. So conduct shows BEFORE the supper,
so that people stay back to first watch shows and then go to restaurants.

Why is the revenue from restaurants / live shows irrelevant to the argument here?

Hi adkikani ...... I think revenue (from the restaurant) is the one of the main point.
My take : So.... suppose say there are sitting capacity of 500 at the restaurant and at noon the park is expecting 3000 people to have lunch . So if most of the people go to restaurant .... the revenue will not be maximum ( overcrowding - will definitely prompt people (at least me) to look for alternative options) . But if through some strategy the restaurant visits can be spaced ..... such as ... starting from 11AM every 1/2 hr around 400-500 ppl , there would be maximun traffic to restaurant at lunch - thus max revenue.

Now , people generally try to leave around evening ..... but if there are exiting live shows I would stay back .... and ofcourse it will be late .... And I might deciede to have food there at the park instead of making them at home or hunting for them outside ....... I might be sounding too much of a fooodie...... but that's how my mind works !!!! :-D .. Can't help it ..... really !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 271
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
(A) keeping the lines at the various rides short by drawing off part of the crowd - no mention about lines
(B) enhancing revenue by attracting people who come only for the live shows and then leave the park - out of scope
(C) avoiding as far as possible traffic jams caused by visitors entering or leaving the park - outside information
(D) encouraging as many people as possible to come to the park in order to eat at the restaurants - does not support lunch time
(E) utilizing the restaurants at optimal levels for as much of the day as possible CORRECT - the paragraph talks about relieving and optimizing load on the restaurant
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Given Kudos: 687
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.6
WE:Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
(A) keeping the lines at the various rides short by drawing off part of the crowd - sensible but outside information.
(B) enhancing revenue by attracting people who come only for the live shows and then leave the park - outside information
(D) encouraging as many people as possible to come to the park in order to eat at the restaurants - close , But supports only one part ( the evening part ..... kind of contrasting with the lunch part )
(E) utilizing the restaurants at optimal levels for as much of the day as possible CORRECT - the strategy described is likely to distribute the restaurant heading crowed evenly with the intention to have an even customer flow to the eateries throughout the day so that those eating joints can be utilized optimally.
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 4
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Option E should be the answer.

We are talking about two show times - one in the evening and one in the lunchtime

Lunchtime shows relieve the pressure on restaurants - This means that restaurants are already quite full during this time and performances take away some of the customers away from restaurants.

Evening performances does the opposite - they increase the customers for the restaurants by making people stay for supper.

So, the unifying theme is rationalizing the number of customers at the restaurants. This is said in other words in Option E.

Option D is incorrect since this cannot be unifying theme because it ignores the purpose of lunchtime performances.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

great explanation.

My query is a little off topic. i would like to know the difficulty level of this question from Experts point of view.
I know this question is listed in the 700+ category. but is it the same level as compared to the real gmat?

looking forward to your reply.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Which of the following best completes the passage below?

At large amusement parks, live shows are used very deliberately to influence crowd movements. Lunchtime performances relieve the pressure on a park’s restaurants. Evening performances have a rather different purpose: to encourage visitors to stay for supper. Behind this surface divergence in immediate purpose there is the unified underlying goal of______

(A) keeping the lines at the various rides short by drawing off part of the crowd
-We cannot make this inference without knowing any details about how large the lines at various rides are…besides we see two outcomes of what happened:
a) Relieve pressure on restaurants
b) Encourage people to eat at restaurants
The answer has to be something that relates to the restaurants.

(B) enhancing revenue by attracting people who come only for the live shows and then leave the park
It’s not particularly clear how the revenue is being enhanced if, for part of the day, performances are drawing people away from restaurants which generates revenues.

(C) avoiding as far as possible traffic jams caused by visitors entering or leaving the park
Clearly out-of-scope…we don’t know anything about traffic jams from this passage.

(D) encouraging as many people as possible to come to the park in order to eat at the restaurants
This runs counter to what the lunchtime performances achieve…we know that the park wants to relieve the pressure so encouraging more people to come increases the pressure.

(E) utilizing the restaurants at optimal levels for as much of the day as possible
Correct. A safe and conservative choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 279
Concentration: Technology, Statistics
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
I honestly don't see how option E is the "underlying" goal. Option E is obvious. The paragraph clearly mentions that it tries to manage restaurant levels etc. How is that "underlying"? Underlying should be something that isn't obvious
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Vishalcv wrote:
I honestly don't see how option E is the "underlying" goal. Option E is obvious. The paragraph clearly mentions that it tries to manage restaurant levels etc. How is that "underlying"? Underlying should be something that isn't obvious

Hi AndrewN

I agree with this sentiment. Only because of the word "underlying" I chose option A over E. Is there no significance of the word "underlying"? Option E is an obvious contender but I picked A because the question seemed to be asking something that's hidden and not directly stated.
What are we missing ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Hello expert,
I was torn between A and E cuz they are really the same meaning to me. As the expert above said “The goal is to keep the RIGHT NUMBER of people at the restaurants and other rides at certain times”, and A “keep the line short” means keep the right number of people. So why A is wrong? Thanks in advance.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
Namangupta1997 wrote:
Vishalcv wrote:

Hi AndrewN

I agree with this sentiment. Only because of the word "underlying" I chose option A over E. Is there no significance of the word "underlying"? Option E is an obvious contender but I picked A because the question seemed to be asking something that's hidden and not directly stated.
What are we missing ?

Mavisdu1017 wrote:
Hello expert,
I was torn between A and E cuz they are really the same meaning to me. As the expert above said “The goal is to keep the RIGHT NUMBER of people at the restaurants and other rides at certain times”, and A “keep the line short” means keep the right number of people. So why A is wrong? Thanks in advance.

Hello, Namangupta1997 and Mavisdu1017. Answer choices (A) and (E) are not by any means the same, and there is an underlying economic factor at work with the two descriptions of performances in the passage. Think of the two types of live performances and their goals, one by one, with an eye on exactly what the passage tells us.

Lunchtime performances = relieve the pressure on restaurants
Evening performances = encourage visitors to stay for supper

Both performances center on crowd movement and food, not on various rides, as answer choice (A) says. To my eye, answer choice (C) is just as viable as (A), since both require a leap in logic to justify. Note that in the description of evening performances, there is no explicit mention of restaurants, but we can reasonably carry over this keyword from the earlier description. (I suppose crowds could fill up on amusement park food—e.g., funnel cakes, popcorn, or, at certain parks, deep-fried candy bars—but most people would not think of such snacks as supper.) The unifying goal, then, seems to be to get visitors on the whole to spend as much money as possible at the restaurants: they cannot spend money as efficiently if, at lunchtime, they have to wait for a long time or cannot get in to eat, and they cannot spend money at all if, at supper time, they are not interested in staying at the park to eat. Take a look at answer choice (E) again:

Quote:
(E) utilizing the restaurants at optimal levels for as much of the day as possible

Now, just where does the passage say anything about optimal levels of anything? This is simply a logical and underlying economic principle at work.

Make sure you understand an answer choice before you either dismiss or embrace it. When you choose something you know is off-base, you will end up with little more than a wrong answer. (Play it safe.)

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
Namangupta1997 wrote:
Vishalcv wrote:

Hi AndrewN

What are we missing ?

Mavisdu1017 wrote:
Hello expert,

Hello, Namangupta1997 and Mavisdu1017. Answer choices (A) and (E) are not by any means the same, and there is an underlying economic factor at work with the two descriptions of performances in the passage. Think of the two types of live performances and their goals, one by one, with an eye on exactly what the passage tells us.

Lunchtime performances = relieve the pressure on restaurants
Evening performances = encourage visitors to stay for supper

Both performances center on crowd movement and food, not on various rides, as answer choice (A) says. To my eye, answer choice (C) is just as viable as (A), since both require a leap in logic to justify. Note that in the description of evening performances, there is no explicit mention of restaurants, but we can reasonably carry over this keyword from the earlier description. (I suppose crowds could fill up on amusement park food—e.g., funnel cakes, popcorn, or, at certain parks, deep-fried candy bars—but most people would not think of such snacks as supper.) The unifying goal, then, seems to be to get visitors on the whole to spend as much money as possible at the restaurants: they cannot spend money as efficiently if, at lunchtime, they have to wait for a long time or cannot get in to eat, and they cannot spend money at all if, at supper time, they are not interested in staying at the park to eat. Take a look at answer choice (E) again:

Quote:

Now, just where does the passage say anything about optimal levels of anything? This is simply a logical and underlying economic principle at work.

Make sure you understand an answer choice before you either dismiss or embrace it. When you choose something you know is off-base, you will end up with little more than a wrong answer. (Play it safe.)

- Andrew

Thanks AndrewN, I think of the passage again, and found: why the show is arranged only at lunch time or supper time? Cuz the show serves for restaurants, but not other rides. I understand, thanks for your enlightenment.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts