GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 06:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Which of the following most logically completes the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jul 2011
Posts: 30
R: K
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2014, 07:33
email2vm wrote:
can anyone please explain why B is wrong ?


P1 :Yorco and Zortech are two corporations that employ large numbers of full-time workers who are paid by the hour.

P 2 : Publicly available records indicate that Yorco employs roughly the same number of such hourly wage workers as Zortech does but spends a far higher total sum per year on wages for such workers.

Concl : Therefore, hourly wages must be higher, on average, at Yorco than at Zortech, since __.

We are required to find the "basis of conclusion"

Option B : the work performed by hourly wage workers at Zortech does not require a significantly higher level of skill than the work performed by hourly wage workers at Yorco does. Suppose if we rate skill requirement in numbers (1 lowest and 10 highest) then we can think of following 3 options

Option 1 Skill requirement at Z = 6 & Skill requirement at Y = 5 (not significantly higher level)
Option 2 Skill requirement at Z = 5 & Skill requirement at Y = 5 (equal)
Option 3 Skill requirement at Z = 4 & Skill requirement at Y = 5 (lower)

If you are manager at both the corporations then to whose workers you will give higher wages per hour?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: folding sleeves up
Joined: 26 Apr 2013
Posts: 142
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 530 Q39 V23
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V26
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Computer Hardware)
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2014, 12:21
Hi Cark,

I re-read the question after posting my comment and understood that it was most silly question I asked.

Nevertheless, you were right on.

Cheers,
Ravi
Director
Director
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Feb 2013
Posts: 888
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2014, 00:08
ttar wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

Yorco and Zortech are two corporations that employ large numbers of full-time workers who are paid by the hour. Publicly available records indicate that Yorco employs roughly the same number of such hourly wage workers as Zortech does but spends a far higher total sum per year on wages for such workers. Therefore, hourly wages must be higher, on average, at Yorco than at Zortech, since _____.

A. Zortech spends a higher total sum per year than Yorco does to provide its hourly wage workers with benefits other than wages
B. the work performed by hourly wage workers at Zortech does not require a significantly higher level of skill than the work performed by hourly wage workers at Yorco does
C. the proportion of all company employees who are hourly wage workers is significantly greater at Yorco than it is at Zortech
D. overtime work, which is paid at a substantially higher rate than work done during the regular work week, is rare at both Yorco and Zortech
E. the highest hourly wages paid at Yorco are higher than the highest hourly wages paid at Zortech


Employee of Y and Z are equal.
Y spends more than Z
Then Y average wage paid to the employees should be more than Z. Hence E)

D) cannot be the answer as the option doesn't explain anything. We need a reason for the discrepancy as we have "since".
_________________

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Current Student
avatar
Status: Applied
Joined: 02 May 2014
Posts: 152
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2015, 04:13
D removes the possibility of some other reason behind the total sum at yorco hence this is the answer.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2009
Posts: 97
GMAT Date: 12-03-2014
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2015, 02:02
Can any one help with Option A ?

I'm guessing its wrong because we are concerned with wages and not total cost ?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2014
Posts: 172
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2015, 07:02
gmihir wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?
Yorco and Zortech are two corporations that employ large numbers of full-time workers who are paid by the hour. Publicly available records indicate that Yorco employs roughly the same number of such hourly wage workers as Zortech
does but spends a far higher total sum per year on wages for such workers. Therefore, hourly wages must be higher, on average, at Yorco than at Zortech, since __.
A. Zortech spends a higher total sum per year than Yorco does to provide its hourly wage workers with benefits other than wages

B.the work performed by hourly wage workers at Zortech does not require a significantly higher level of skill than the work performed by hourly wage workers at Yorco does

C. the proportion of all company employees who are hourly wage workers is significantly greater at Yorco than it is at Zortech

D.overtime work, which is paid at a substantially higher rate than work done during the regular work week, is rare at both Yorco and Zortech

E. the highest hourly wages paid at Yorco are higher than the highest hourly wages paid at Zortech

can anyone please explain why E is wrong ?

E is restatement.

Whenever u catch of words -since, because-.Both can perform only two functions:
Strengthen
Removes possibility of other factors which can weaken them.
Retired Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Oct 2009
Posts: 528
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2015, 00:06
1
1
kinjiGC wrote:
Employee of Y and Z are equal.
Y spends more than Z
Then Y average wage paid to the employees should be more than Z. Hence E)

D) cannot be the answer as the option doesn't explain anything. We need a reason for the discrepancy as we have "since".



One way to support an Argument is to remove the alternate cause of the result. D exactly does that.

Conclusion : "More Money Spent So more hourly wages are more". D removes the alternate Cause by saying both the companies doesnt spend extra Money for OverTime done by employee.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 336
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2016, 10:31
1
1
This question teaches you a lesson on alternative cause using reverse psychology.
GMAC sternly speaking: "stick to the rules even if you see demons on the way!"

Number of hourly paid workers in Y equals the number of hourly paid workers in Z.
Y's total wage is greater than Z's total wage.
Therefore on the average the hourly wage in Y is higher than hourly wage in Z.

The conclusion above depends on which assumption?
[b]HKD1710
here we go!

(Aside: When I see this type of question I just say HKD!. that's my abracadabra)


One thing that could make the conclusion not to hold is an alternative cause. e.g. only Y or Y and Z have other wage payments to make other than the hourly wage payment.

D.A. Only D defends this argument best from this IDEA.

Now good Mr Dubey tell me, what will you change in A so as to make it a certain D.A. if D doesn't exist?
You answer this puzzle I'll duff hat.[/b]
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 13
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2016, 10:43
1
It would be D because Zorco gets paid a better hourly wage and since overtime work is rare for both companies.
Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 Jun 2014
Posts: 1042
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2016, 20:35
1
Nez wrote:
This question teaches you a lesson on alternative cause using reverse psychology.
GMAC sternly speaking: "stick to the rules even if you see demons on the way!"

Number of hourly paid workers in Y equals the number of hourly paid workers in Z.
Y's total wage is greater than Z's total wage.
Therefore on the average the hourly wage in Y is higher than hourly wage in Z.

The conclusion above depends on which assumption?
[b]HKD1710
here we go!

(Aside: When I see this type of question I just say HKD!. that's my abracadabra)


One thing that could make the conclusion not to hold is an alternative cause. e.g. only Y or Y and Z have other wage payments to make other than the hourly wage payment.

D.A. Only D defends this argument best from this IDEA.

Now good Mr Dubey tell me, what will you change in A so as to make it a certain D.A. if D doesn't exist?
You answer this puzzle I'll duff hat.[/b]


Here you go Nez,

Let me speak about the choice E as well. It says highest wages are higher at yorco. what about the the lower wages are also high at yorco. conclusion talks about avergae not values that constitute it because these values are not talked about and author di not give any clue about these.

Premise: No of workers at Y = No of workers at Z

Premise: Sum spend at Y >>>> Sum spend at Z

Conclusion: Average at Y > Average at Y

premise: Unstated

Conclusion is STRONG here. We need to DEFEND it.

Structure
Premise ..> Premise ..> "THEREFORE...CONCLUSION....SINCE....PREMISE." So this premise is NOT STATED (you see we need to fill it.) As already mentioned conclusion has no GAPS it is strong so we need a fact to defend.

Now looking at choice A.

A.Zortech spends a higher total sum per year than Yorco does to provide its hourly wage workers with benefits other than wages

so first of all this is a weaken-er. correct choice should be DEFENDER NOT weaken-er. how can A be right???

Correct choice definitly need to express the idea that "it is just about the wages which are spent on the hours worked by these n number of employees" A FACT that would align to this idea would be defender assumptions.

DA-1: There is no overtime (full-time can do overtime - so in scope)
DA-2: (generalization) ANY IDEA THAT DOES NOT NEGATE THE PREMISES AND STILL BREAK THE CONCLUSION, IF NEGATED, BECOMES OUR DA. Any you can think of?

So D definitly alogns with the idea while A don't.

if you anyhow thinking that IF "D" WERE NOT THERE IN CHOICES AND A WAS WRITTEN AS "Yorco spends a higher total sum per year than Zortech does to provide its hourly wage workers with benefits other than wages" WOULD ONLY BE A WEAKNER.

So you can either use a negative word OR not, you can save your conclusion by writing choice as A as followings:

"Total sum per year spent by Yorco AND Zortech relate ONLY to wages of such workers for their per hour work"
"Total sum per year spent by Yorco AND Zortech DOES NOT include any other expense on the workers"


NOTE: if you start thinking of finding to many defenders then it will confuse you because then you may sometime get carried away with out of SCOPE choices. NEW INFORMATION whenever brought in it also has to be in scope. Idea is to stick to keywords that constitute the argument while saving the conclusion by giving a FACT.
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 336
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 03:00
Great
May I answer the puzzle?
what will you change in A so as to make it a certain D.A. if D doesn't exist?

Answer
Zortech DOES NOT spend UP TO total sum per year THAT
Yortech does to provide its hourly wage workers with BONUS WAGE


The block letters is the change you make in A so as to make A a certain DA if option D does not exist.

Posted from my mobile device
Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 Jun 2014
Posts: 1042
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 08:44
Nez wrote:
Great
May I answer the puzzle?
what will you change in A so as to make it a certain D.A. if D doesn't exist?

Answer
Zortech DOES NOT spend UP TO total sum per year THAT
Yortech does to provide its hourly wage workers with BONUS WAGE


The block letters is the change you make in A so as to make A a certain DA if option D does not exist.

Posted from my mobile device


Nez,

IMO, even after this change A is incorrect. WE CANNOT mention about "BONUS WAGE" or any other wages BUT the WAGES that are paid for their work per hour.
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 336
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 09:24
HKD1710 wrote:
Nez wrote:
Great
May I answer the puzzle?
what will you change in A so as to make it a certain D.A. if D doesn't exist?

Answer
Zortech DOES NOT spend UP TO total sum per year THAT
Yortech does to provide its hourly wage workers with BONUS WAGE


The block letters is the change you make in A so as to make A a certain DA if option D does not exist.

Posted from my mobile device


Nez,

IMO, even after this change A is incorrect. WE CANNOT mention about "BONUS WAGE" or any other wages BUT the WAGES that are paid for their work per hour.

Read it well and read option D well.
D mentioned overtime work.
Hope it helps, gmatclub folks would say.
Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 Jun 2014
Posts: 1042
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 09:35
Nez wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:
Nez wrote:
Great
May I answer the puzzle?
what will you change in A so as to make it a certain D.A. if D doesn't exist?

Answer
Zortech DOES NOT spend UP TO total sum per year THAT
Yortech does to provide its hourly wage workers with BONUS WAGE


The block letters is the change you make in A so as to make A a certain DA if option D does not exist.

Posted from my mobile device


Nez,

IMO, even after this change A is incorrect. WE CANNOT mention about "BONUS WAGE" or any other wages BUT the WAGES that are paid for their work per hour.

Read it well and read option D well.
D mentioned overtime work.
Hope it helps, gmatclub folks would say.


The problem here is that in your UPDATED choice A, you mention that "Yortech does to provide BONUS WAGE". However as a STANDARD correct choice of GMAT CR questions Option "D" negates possibility of any other factor such as "overtime" by saying it is just RARE at BOTH Yorco and Zortech. This is the difference. Hope it clears the subtle issue. :)
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 336
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 09:57
you are reading the meaning away.

let me add.
When u read it as SPENDING MADE IN ORDER TO MAKE WAGE PAYMENT it becomes nonsensical.
Rather read it as SPENDING MADE IN MAKING PAYMENT.

the logical possibility the former in this context is funny.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2014
Posts: 11
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: ISB '17, IIMA , IIMB, Mannheim, EBS, XLRI
GMAT Date: 08-16-2015
GPA: 2.69
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2016, 15:19
For only reason hourly wage is higher at yorco is the reason for greater total sum of wagers, their should be no overtime in yorco.
D is the answer

ttar wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

Yorco and Zortech are two corporations that employ large numbers of full-time workers who are paid by the hour. Publicly available records indicate that Yorco employs roughly the same number of such hourly wage workers as Zortech does but spends a far higher total sum per year on wages for such workers. Therefore, hourly wages must be higher, on average, at Yorco than at Zortech, since _____.

A. Zortech spends a higher total sum per year than Yorco does to provide its hourly wage workers with benefits other than wages
B. the work performed by hourly wage workers at Zortech does not require a significantly higher level of skill than the work performed by hourly wage workers at Yorco does
C. the proportion of all company employees who are hourly wage workers is significantly greater at Yorco than it is at Zortech
D. overtime work, which is paid at a substantially higher rate than work done during the regular work week, is rare at both Yorco and Zortech
E. the highest hourly wages paid at Yorco are higher than the highest hourly wages paid at Zortech
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2012
Posts: 326
Schools: Schulich '16
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 00:30
the answer to this question is removing - the possibility that will show hourly wages at Y cannot be same as Z.

D does that by showing the diff.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2014
Posts: 2
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 00:41
mbaiseasy wrote:
Yorco and Zortech have roughly the same number of hourly wage workers.
Yorco spends far higher total sum per year on wages of such workers.
:. Hourly wages must be higher on average at Yorco than Zortech...

A. Zortech spends a higher total sum per year than Yorco does to provide its hourly wage workers with benefits other than wages
Spending on benefits is a different topic... The concern is spending on wages... OUT!

B. the work performed by hourly wage workers at Zortech does not require a significantly higher level of skill than the work performed by hourly wage workers at Yorco does
Skills are not the issue... OUT!

C. the proportion of all company employees who are hourly wage workers is significantly greater at Yorco than it is at Zortech
The other types of employees is out of scopre... OUT!

Thus far, it's quite easy to eliminate A, B and C...

D. overtime work, which is paid at a substantially higher rate than work done during the regular work week, is rare at both Yorco and Zortech
The argument knows that total sums spent by Yorco is greater than Zortech and jumps into conclusion that average is higher in Yorco.. We know that to conclude about average - we must know two components: (1) total sum and (2) total hours... If the hours of workers in Yorco are higher then that will explain the increase in total sums spent and not necessarily mean average is higher...

E. the highest hourly wages paid at Yorco are higher than the highest hourly wages paid at Zortech
The conclusion is about the average hourly wage... The breakdown of the total sums that contributed to the average is not known...

Answer: D


but the argument doesn't say that the overtime hours are same. It only says that Overtime hours are rare at both corporations, but what if in Zortech it is more rare then in Yorco?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2016
Posts: 41
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Other (Computer Software)
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2016, 01:32
D is the correct answer

Conclusion - hourly wages must be higher, on average, at Yorco than at Zortech

Premise - Yarco spends a far higher total sum per year on wages for such workers than Zortech

The logical explanation must cover the above 2 pointers and must be a supporting reason for conlusion

A opposes the argument
B talks about skills
C does not matter. The group under study is hourly wage workers
E does not talk about averages
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 1193
Location: India
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 04:00
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma

Hi Experts
Can you explain which mathematical equations fits in here?
_________________

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the &nbs [#permalink] 15 Oct 2017, 04:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 44 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Which of the following most logically completes the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.