GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Aug 2019, 02:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Which of the following quantities is the largest?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Posts: 88
Which of the following quantities is the largest?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Dec 2013, 05:27
2
25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (01:59) correct 61% (01:20) wrong based on 401 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Which of the following quantities is the largest?

(A) \(\sqrt{2}\)

(B) \(\sqrt[3]{3}\)

(C) \(\sqrt[4]{4}\)

(D) \(\sqrt[5]{5}\)

(E) \(\sqrt[6]{6}\)

Originally posted by mrinal2100 on 14 Jun 2011, 10:22.
Last edited by Bunuel on 27 Dec 2013, 05:27, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question added the answer choices and OA.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9554
Location: Pune, India
Re: number  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2011, 20:08
14
15
mrinal2100 wrote:
sorry guys for the wron quote but the choices were
a)2(pow)(1/2)
b)3(pow)(1/3)
c)4(pow)(1/4)
d)5(pow)(1/5)
e)6(pow)(1/6)

its not 6*(sqroot of 6)


So I am assuming that the choices are:
\(2^{\frac{1}{2}}, 3^{\frac{1}{3}}, 4^{\frac{1}{4}}, 5^{\frac{1}{5}}, 6^{\frac{1}{6}}\)

Since fractional powers are a pain, let me multiply all the powers by 60 (LCM) to make them manageable.

\(2^{30}, 3^{20}, 4^{15} ( = 2^{30}), 5^{12}, 6^{10}\)
Bases and powers, both are different. To compare, we need to make one of them the same.

\(2^{30} = 8^{10}\)
\(3^{20} = 9^{10}\)
\(6^{10}\)

Obviously, out of these three, \(9^{10}\) is greatest.

Now we just need to compare \(3^{20}\) with \(5^{12}\)
\(3^{20} = 243^{4}\)
\(5^{12} = 125^{4}\)

\(3^{20} ( = 3^{\frac{1}{3}})\) is the greatest.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1626
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Which of the following quantities is the largest?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2013, 05:20
mrinal2100 wrote:
Which of the following quantities is the largest?

(A) \(\sqrt{2}\)

(B) \(\sqrt[3]{3}\)

(C) \(\sqrt[4]{5}\)

(D) \(\sqrt[5]{5}\)

(E) \(\sqrt[6]{6}\)


The question shows another answer choice for C, but I second your approach Karishma

Now, let's assume the question as is

2^30, 3^20 and 5^15

In this case, I assume it would be a matter of setting all exponents to GCF and compare the bases

So we would end up with 64^5, 81^5, 64^5

Clearly now B is the winner here

Kudos rain!

Cheers!
J :)
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 57281
Re: Which of the following quantities is the largest?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2013, 05:48
jlgdr wrote:
mrinal2100 wrote:
Which of the following quantities is the largest?

(A) \(\sqrt{2}\)

(B) \(\sqrt[3]{3}\)

(C) \(\sqrt[4]{5}\)

(D) \(\sqrt[5]{5}\)

(E) \(\sqrt[6]{6}\)


The question shows another answer choice for C, but I second your approach Karishma

Now, let's assume the question as is

2^30, 3^20 and 5^15

In this case, I assume it would be a matter of setting all exponents to GCF and compare the bases

So we would end up with 64^5, 81^5, 64^5

Clearly now B is the winner here

Kudos rain!

Cheers!
J :)


Edited option C. It should be as written in Karishma's post.
_________________
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9554
Location: Pune, India
Re: Which of the following quantities is the largest?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2013, 00:26
1
jlgdr wrote:
Now, let's assume the question as is

2^30, 3^20 and 5^15

In this case, I assume it would be a matter of setting all exponents to GCF and compare the bases

So we would end up with 64^5, 81^5, 64^5

Clearly now B is the winner here

Kudos rain!

Cheers!
J :)


2^30, 3^20 and 5^15
Yes, you can get the common power of 5

64^5, 81^5 and 125^5

So 5^15 is greatest here.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2015
Posts: 40
Re: Which of the following quantities is the largest?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2015, 12:56
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
mrinal2100 wrote:
sorry guys for the wron quote but the choices were
a)2(pow)(1/2)
b)3(pow)(1/3)
c)4(pow)(1/4)
d)5(pow)(1/5)
e)6(pow)(1/6)

its not 6*(sqroot of 6)


So I am assuming that the choices are:
\(2^{\frac{1}{2}}, 3^{\frac{1}{3}}, 4^{\frac{1}{4}}, 5^{\frac{1}{5}}, 6^{\frac{1}{6}}\)

Since fractional powers are a pain, let me multiply all the powers by 60 (LCM) to make them manageable.

\(2^{30}, 3^{20}, 4^{15} ( = 2^{30}), 5^{12}, 6^{10}\)
Bases and powers, both are different. To compare, we need to make one of them the same.

\(2^{30} = 8^{10}\)
\(3^{20} = 9^{10}\)
\(6^{10}\)

Obviously, out of these three, \(9^{10}\) is greatest.

Now we just need to compare \(3^{20}\) with \(5^{12}\)
\(3^{20} = 243^{4}\)
\(5^{12} = 125^{4}\)

\(3^{20} ( = 3^{\frac{1}{3}})\) is the greatest.



I Karishma - it's very clear and simple until the end. To compare 3^20 with 5^12, it seems that we need to know what 3^16 and 5^8 are. Isn't 3^16 a uncommon number to memorize? Or is this expected for the gmat / there is an easier way to compare? Thanks so much!
_________________
Working towards 25 Kudos for the Gmatclub Exams - help meee I'm poooor
CEO
CEO
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2620
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Which of the following quantities is the largest?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2015, 13:08
2
happyface101 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
mrinal2100 wrote:
sorry guys for the wron quote but the choices were
a)2(pow)(1/2)
b)3(pow)(1/3)
c)4(pow)(1/4)
d)5(pow)(1/5)
e)6(pow)(1/6)

its not 6*(sqroot of 6)


So I am assuming that the choices are:
\(2^{\frac{1}{2}}, 3^{\frac{1}{3}}, 4^{\frac{1}{4}}, 5^{\frac{1}{5}}, 6^{\frac{1}{6}}\)

Since fractional powers are a pain, let me multiply all the powers by 60 (LCM) to make them manageable.

\(2^{30}, 3^{20}, 4^{15} ( = 2^{30}), 5^{12}, 6^{10}\)
Bases and powers, both are different. To compare, we need to make one of them the same.

\(2^{30} = 8^{10}\)
\(3^{20} = 9^{10}\)
\(6^{10}\)

Obviously, out of these three, \(9^{10}\) is greatest.

Now we just need to compare \(3^{20}\) with \(5^{12}\)
\(3^{20} = 243^{4}\)
\(5^{12} = 125^{4}\)

\(3^{20} ( = 3^{\frac{1}{3}})\) is the greatest.



I Karishma - it's very clear and simple until the end. To compare 3^20 with 5^12, it seems that we need to know what 3^16 and 5^8 are. Isn't 3^16 a uncommon number to memorize? Or is this expected for the gmat / there is an easier way to compare? Thanks so much!


It is not \(3^{16}\) that you need to remember.

When you end up comparing \(3^{20}\) and \(5^{12}\), try to raise the 2 numbers to the same power.

In this case the common GCD of 20 and 12 is 4.

Thus \(3^{20}=(3^5)^4\) and

\(5^{12} = (5^3)^4\)

Giving you the 2 values as \(243^4\) and \(125^4\). So now can easily see that the 2 numbers are raised to the same power but with a differnet base giving you \(3^{20} > 5^{12}\)
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 12084
Re: Which of the following quantities is the largest?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2019, 23:59
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Which of the following quantities is the largest?   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2019, 23:59
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Which of the following quantities is the largest?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne