Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619010 [4]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Retired Moderator
Status:On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
Own Kudos [?]: 655 [1]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Re: Which of the following sets of numbers has the greatest standard devia [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Which of the following sets of numbers has the greatest standard deviation?

A. 10, 11, 12
B. -3, -4, -5
C. -2, 0, 2
D. 5.1, 5.2, 5.3
E. 20, 22, 22.5

Kudos for a correct solution.

SD of A to D in ascending order.

D<A=B<C

Now C is equally spaced and [x-avg(x)]^2=4+2+4=8

Avg of E is 21.5 and [x-avg(x)]^2=2.25+0.25+1=3.5

Answer : C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.19
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Which of the following sets of numbers has the greatest standard devia [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

A. 10, 11, 12
B. -3, -4, -5
C. -2, 0, 2
D. 5.1, 5.2, 5.3
E. 20, 22, 22.5

need to compare only option C and E
For C, Range is 4
For E ranger is only 2.5 so obvisouly it will have less SD

So anwer is C
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

A. 10, 11, 12
B. -3, -4, -5
C. -2, 0, 2
D. 5.1, 5.2, 5.3
E. 20, 22, 22.5

Standard deviation is the deviation from the mean.
Mean for set C is 0 and hence it's values have highest deviation from the mean in this set.
Hence option (C).

--
Optimus Prep's GMAT On Demand course for only $299 covers all verbal and quant. concepts in detail. Visit the following link to get your 7 days free trial account: https://www.optimus-prep.com/gmat-on-demand-course
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619010 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

A. 10, 11, 12
B. -3, -4, -5
C. -2, 0, 2
D. 5.1, 5.2, 5.3
E. 20, 22, 22.5

MAGOOSH OFFICIAL SOLUTION:
Attachment:
PSgreateststandarddeviation_text.PNG
PSgreateststandarddeviation_text.PNG [ 18.17 KiB | Viewed 19209 times ]

FAQ: What about answer choice (E)?

This is definitely the trickiest of the wrong answers. If you chose (E), you're not alone!

Since these lists of numbers are very short and there's the same number of elements in each--only three in each answer choice--let's use the quick way to compare SDs: compare the ranges.

The range of (C) is 2 - (-2) = 4.
The range of (E) is 22.5 - 20 = 2.5.
Since the range of E is smaller (and these are such small lists), it's pretty safe to assume that the SD is also smaller

But if that's not convincing enough, we can find the exact SD of (E)

First, what's the mean of those three numbers?
(20 + 22 + 22.5) / 3
64.5 / 3

Next, how far away is each number from the mean?

20 is 1.5 away from 21.5
22 is .5 away from 21.5
22.5 is 1 away from 21.5
This means the standard deviation is the average of .5, 1, and 1.5, which means SD = 1.

This is smaller than the average of 2, 0, and 2 from answer choice (C), which would be 4/3 = 1.33.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
AMsac123 wrote:
AMsac123 wrote:

Thanks Mike I understand that > i was just trying to corelate the concepts in the two questions and how it can be applied > i wanted to check if the thinking is correct or if i am missing anything. All im checking is if the above snipet of lowest range= lowest std is a general rule and can be applied to all such questions?

hi mikemcgarry waiting patiently for ur reply

Dear AMsac123,

With all due respect, you have pressed to have me ask your question, and it's far from clear to me that you read the blog article to which I linked. If you understood everything in that blog, you would have answered your own question.

As general rule, sets with larger ranges tend to have larger standard deviations. If we were to measure the range & S.D. for every single set that, for example, has ever appeared on the GMAT, I would expect the range and S.D. to be highly correlated. Nevertheless, as always, correlation is only a statement about a general pattern, and not a statement that is true in the granular sense. Thus, if Set A has a larger range than Set B, we can't necessarily say anything about the standard deviations of these two sets.

Consider these two example sets.
Set A = {40, 40, 40, 40, 40, 60, 60, 60, 60, 60} ==> mean = median = 50, range = 20
Set B = {35, 50, 50, 50, 50, 50, 50, 50, 50, 65} ==> mean = median = 50, range = 30

Set B clearly has a much larger range. But look at how the numbers are distributed. All the numbers in Set A are at the extreme values, 10 units away from the mean, so S.D. = 10. Meanwhile, 8/10 of the numbers in Set B are at the mean, with a deviation of zero. Thus, it appears that Set B will have a much smaller S.D.

In Set A, every deviation has an absolute value of 10, so S.D. = 10
In Set B, one deviation is -15, one is +15, and other eight are zero. Sum of square deviations = 225 + 225 = 450. Average of square deviations = 45. S.D. = \(\sqrt{45}\) = \(3\sqrt{5}\) = 6.7082

Thus, Set B has a larger ranger and a smaller S.D.

Once again, I would strongly recommend reading this blog if you haven't do so already.
Standard Deviation on the GMAT
As a general rule, the way you show respect to an expert for providing help is to acknowledge explicitly everything you learned from what they already shared. If everything they shared has not answered your question, it's fine to present that as well, but to insist on what you want to know and to disregard everything else an expert tells you is relevant is disrespectful.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Which of the following sets of numbers has the greatest standard devia [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 10, 11, 12
B. -3, -4, -5
C. -2, 0, 2
D. 5.1, 5.2, 5.3
E. 20, 22, 22.5

MAGOOSH OFFICIAL SOLUTION:
Attachment:
PSgreateststandarddeviation_text.PNG

FAQ: What about answer choice (E)?

This is definitely the trickiest of the wrong answers. If you chose (E), you're not alone!

Since these lists of numbers are very short and there's the same number of elements in each--only three in each answer choice--let's use the quick way to compare SDs: compare the ranges.

The range of (C) is 2 - (-2) = 4.
The range of (E) is 22.5 - 20 = 2.5.
Since the range of E is smaller (and these are such small lists), it's pretty safe to assume that the SD is also smaller

But if that's not convincing enough, we can find the exact SD of (E)

First, what's the mean of those three numbers?
(20 + 22 + 22.5) / 3
64.5 / 3

Next, how far away is each number from the mean?

20 is 1.5 away from 21.5
22 is .5 away from 21.5
22.5 is 1 away from 21.5
This means the standard deviation is the average of .5, 1, and 1.5, which means SD = 1.

This is smaller than the average of 2, 0, and 2 from answer choice (C), which would be 4/3 = 1.33.

How about this for The OG 2017 PS 47 qn? Same logic if u apply how will we get it?

mikemcgarry Bunuel Magoosh
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Which of the following sets of numbers has the greatest standard devia [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
Asac123 wrote:
How about this for The OG 2017 PS 47 qn? Same logic if u apply how will we get it?

Dear Asac123,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

As a general rule, it's not the best practice to ask about one question in the thread devoted to another. If people are curious about OG 2017, PS #47, they will not be likely to find a discussion of it here. Don't just think about getting an answer to your own personal question. Think about the impact you have on all the users of this forum. A responsible approach to question-asking benefits everyone.

Also, it's not the best practice to ask the same question in multiple places. I just gave you my answer to that question in this post. Asking the same question in two different places does not send the most respectful attitude to the experts whose help you solicited, and again, other users would not find the discussion of this new question here.

Every choice you make, every action you take, has impact on others, and thus impact on how you are perceived. Furthermore, how you do anything is how you do everything. Remember that this is a public forum and anyone reading this may one day be your boss, your employee, your customer, your supplier, your competitor, etc. etc. The rewards for deeply responsible behavior yield significant payoffs in life.

Thanks Mike I understand that > i was just trying to corelate the concepts in the two questions and how it can be applied > i wanted to check if the thinking is correct or if i am missing anything. All im checking is if the above snipet of lowest range= lowest std is a general rule and can be applied to all such questions?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AMsac123 wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
Asac123 wrote:

Dear Asac123,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

As a general rule, it's not the best practice to ask about one question in the thread devoted to another. If people are curious about OG 2017, PS #47, they will not be likely to find a discussion of it here. Don't just think about getting an answer to your own personal question. Think about the impact you have on all the users of this forum. A responsible approach to question-asking benefits everyone.

Also, it's not the best practice to ask the same question in multiple places. I just gave you my answer to that question in this post. Asking the same question in two different places does not send the most respectful attitude to the experts whose help you solicited, and again, other users would not find the discussion of this new question here.

Every choice you make, every action you take, has impact on others, and thus impact on how you are perceived. Furthermore, how you do anything is how you do everything. Remember that this is a public forum and anyone reading this may one day be your boss, your employee, your customer, your supplier, your competitor, etc. etc. The rewards for deeply responsible behavior yield significant payoffs in life.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
AMsac123 wrote:
AMsac123 wrote:

Dear AMsac123,

With all due respect, you have pressed to have me ask your question, and it's far from clear to me that you read the blog article to which I linked. If you understood everything in that blog, you would have answered your own question.

As general rule, sets with larger ranges tend to have larger standard deviations. If we were to measure the range & S.D. for every single set that, for example, has ever appeared on the GMAT, I would expect the range and S.D. to be highly correlated. Nevertheless, as always, correlation is only a statement about a general pattern, and not a statement that is true in the granular sense. Thus, if Set A has a larger range than Set B, we can't necessarily say anything about the standard deviations of these two sets.

Consider these two example sets.
Set A = {40, 40, 40, 40, 40, 60, 60, 60, 60, 60} ==> mean = median = 50, range = 20
Set B = {35, 50, 50, 50, 50, 50, 50, 50, 50, 65} ==> mean = median = 50, range = 30

Set B clearly has a much larger range. But look at how the numbers are distributed. All the numbers in Set A are at the extreme values, 10 units away from the mean, so S.D. = 10. Meanwhile, 8/10 of the numbers in Set B are at the mean, with a deviation of zero. Thus, it appears that Set B will have a much smaller S.D.

In Set A, every deviation has an absolute value of 10, so S.D. = 10
In Set B, one deviation is -15, one is +15, and other eight are zero. Sum of square deviations = 225 + 225 = 450. Average of square deviations = 45. S.D. = \(\sqrt{45}\) = \(3\sqrt{5}\) = 6.7082

Thus, Set B has a larger ranger and a smaller S.D.

Once again, I would strongly recommend reading this blog if you haven't do so already.
Standard Deviation on the GMAT
As a general rule, the way you show respect to an expert for providing help is to acknowledge explicitly everything you learned from what they already shared. If everything they shared has not answered your question, it's fine to present that as well, but to insist on what you want to know and to disregard everything else an expert tells you is relevant is disrespectful.

Thanks Mike. I dint mean to be respectful. Just wanted to get a clarity if there is a corelation between range and STD. I am sorry if you felt that way ! Thanks again :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts