Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [37]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [9]
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [3]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [2]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
While at first glance a Renaissance fair may look a lot like a theme p [#permalink]
Kudos
rubyrehal wrote:
Can someone please explain why the answer is A not C?

Comparison is incorrect.
See this: unlike roller coasters and Ferris wheels, this fair’s attractions

Look this way:
Correct : Unlike GMAT official questions, unofficial questions are poor in quality.
Incorrect: Unlike GMAT official questions, quality of unofficial questions is poor.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: While at first glance a Renaissance fair may look a lot like a theme p [#permalink]
Kudos
My answer is E.
This choice makes correct comparison.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: International Business, Technology
Send PM
Re: While at first glance a Renaissance fair may look a lot like a theme p [#permalink]
Kudos
Sentence structure
----While at first glance
a Renaissance fair (RF) may look
a lot like a theme park, (Dependent clause)
unlike roller coasters and Ferris wheels,
this fair’s attractions are the sights, sounds, and tastes
------inspired by sixteenth-century England.

Error Analysis
1. Sentence has convoluted-
Meaning Conveyed:
RF may look like theme park (ok).
Unlike roller coasters and Ferris wheels, this fairs's attraction.......... - roller coasters and Ferris wheels - compared with this fair attraction
Inferred meaning: RF may look like theme park but RF's attractions are the sights, sounds, and tastes and not roller coasters and Ferris wheels (as in theme park)

A) While at first glance a Renaissance fair may look a lot like a theme park, unlike roller coasters and Ferris wheels, this fair’s attractions are the sights, sounds, and tastes inspired by sixteenth-century England.
- convoluted meaning

B) At first glance, a Renaissance fair may look a lot like a theme park, unlike roller coasters and Ferris wheels; however, this fair’s attractions are the sights, sounds, and tastes inspired by sixteenth-century England.
- Incorrect comparison
- Renaissance fair compared to roller coasters and Ferris wheels
- Sentence Structure- IC ; however + IC - seems fine

C) A Renaissance fair may, at first glance, look a lot like a theme park, but this fair’s attractions are the sights, sounds, and tastes inspired by sixteenth-century England, unlike roller coasters and Ferris wheels.
- Conveying the clear and concise meaning
- CORRECT

D) Although it looks a lot like a theme park at first glance, a Renaissance fair, unlike roller coasters and Ferris wheels, the sights, sounds, and tastes inspired by sixteenth-century England are its attractions.
- a Renaissance fair, unlike roller coasters and Ferris wheels - Incorrect Comparison
- Pronoun ambiguity (its)
- Meaning Error

E) With the sights, sounds, and tastes inspired by sixteenth-century England as the fair’s attractions, unlike roller coasters and Ferris wheels, a Renaissance fair at first glance may look a lot like a theme park
- Meaning error - contrast is missing
- RF (With the sights, sounds, and tastes) - may look like theme park
- Comparison error -unlike roller coasters and Ferris wheels, a Renaissance fair
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [1]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
Kudos
While at first glance a Renaissance fair may look a lot like a theme park, unlike roller coasters and Ferris wheels, this fair’s attractions are the sights, sounds, and tastes inspired by sixteenth-century England.

A) While at first glance a Renaissance fair may look a lot like a theme park, unlike roller coasters and Ferris wheels, this fair’s attractions are the sights, sounds, and tastes inspired by sixteenth-century England. -> "unlike roller coasters and Ferris wheels" is not very clear to me. I am keeping it as of now, If I get a better one. I shall drop it.

B) At first glance, a Renaissance fair may look a lot like a theme park, unlike roller coasters and Ferris wheels; however, this fair’s attractions are the sights, sounds, and tastes inspired by sixteenth-century England. -> Renaissance fair is compared with "roller coasters and Ferris wheels". Incorrect.

C) A Renaissance fair may, at first glance, look a lot like a theme park, but this fair’s attractions are the sights, sounds, and tastes inspired by sixteenth-century England, unlike roller coasters and Ferris wheels. -> now attractions, the sights, sounds, and tastes, are compared with "roller coasters and Ferris wheels", which makes sense. It is better than A. Let's keep it.

D) Although it looks a lot like a theme park at first glance, a Renaissance fair, unlike roller coasters and Ferris wheels, the sights, sounds, and tastes inspired by sixteenth-century England are its attractions. -> Same as B. Incorrect comparison.

E) With the sights, sounds, and tastes inspired by sixteenth-century England as the fair’s attractions, unlike roller coasters and Ferris wheels, a Renaissance fair at first glance may look a lot like a theme park -> Same as B. Incorrect comparison.

So, I think C. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Schools: ISB '23 (D)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
While at first glance a Renaissance fair may look a lot like a theme p [#permalink]
Kudos
I spent 2 mins on this question but selected E. a reanalysis pointed a flaw.
concentrating on the meaning of the sentence:
there are 2 parts->
1.on first glace R fair looks like a theme park]
2.[Unlike roller coasters and Ferris wheels - both are attractions of a theme park, R fair's attractions are x,y and z inspired by F

so looking at the answer choices again
While at first glance a Renaissance fair may look a lot like a theme park, unlike roller coasters and Ferris wheels, this fair’s attractions are the sights, sounds, and tastes inspired by sixteenth-century England. - While phrase modifies the comparison of Renaissance fair's attractions and theme park's attractions

At first glance, a Renaissance fair may look a lot like a theme park, unlike roller coasters and Ferris wheels; however, this fair’s attractions are the sights, sounds, and tastes inspired by sixteenth-century England. - Illogically compares attractions with fair

A Renaissance fair may, at first glance, look a lot like a theme park, but this fair’s attractions are the sights, sounds, and tastes inspired by sixteenth-century England, unlike roller coasters and Ferris wheels. - ambiguity

Although it looks a lot like a theme park at first glance, a Renaissance fair, unlike roller coasters and Ferris wheels, the sights, sounds, and tastes inspired by sixteenth-century England are its attractions. - a lot of faults

With the sights, sounds, and tastes inspired by sixteenth-century England as the fair’s attractions, unlike roller coasters and Ferris wheels, a Renaissance fair at first glance may look a lot like a theme park - wrong compare

Please let me know if my reasoning has any mistakes :)
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts