Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:01 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [6]
Given Kudos: 153
Concentration: Statistics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [3]

Send PM
Re: While depressed property values can hurt some large investors, they [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:
While depressed property values can hurt some large investors, they are potentially devastating for homeowners, whose equity—in many cases representing a life's savings—can plunge or even disappear.
(B) they can potentially devastate homeowners in that their - Repeated pronouns are presumed to have the same antecedent. In this case, the antecedent for "their" is homeowners, while for "they" it is "property values". For that reason, there is an ambiguity.

Q-In a sentence, should all plural nouns refer to the same antecedent? Similarly, all singular nouns refer to the same antecedent?

Good question! Though I'm not sure that you'll like my answer much. :)

In most cases, you're right: it seems like a bad idea to use a repeated pronoun to refer to two different antecedents, especially if the repeated pronouns are very close to each other. And in this particular sentence, I think you're right that the pronouns are ambiguous -- and there's obviously a better version in another answer choice.

The trouble is, I think it's dangerous to consider this an absolute rule. Imagine, for example, a long, wordy sentence like this one:

Wilbur ate four dozen burritos on Saturday, mostly because they were relatively small and filled with his favorite ingredient, roasted caterpillars; because they are high and protein and low in fat, caterpillars are considered a delicacy in many parts of the world.

(That might be the most ridiculous sentence I've written this week, though there are a couple of species of caterpillar that truly are tasty...)

Anyway, I'd argue that "they" is perfectly clear in both cases, even though "they" refers to two different antecedents. Technically, there might arguably be some ambiguity here, but it doesn't get in the way of the meaning or clarity of the sentence, and I don't think the GMAT would have a problem with the sentence (other than the content, maybe).

More broadly: pronoun ambiguity isn't an absolute rule, anyway. So you're right to be SUSPICIOUS of repeated pronouns, because they easily could cause ambiguity. But be a little bit careful not to turn it into a rigid rule, because it seems entirely possible that repeated pronouns could correctly refer to different antecedents, depending on the context. And I suspect that if we look hard enough, we'll find a few correct answers on official GMAT questions with "they" (or "it") referring to two different antecedents.

I hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: While depressed property values can hurt some large investors, they [#permalink]
This question has repeatedly troubled me. Now that I am seeing it after a break, let me attempt again.

"it" is not the correct pronoun for "properties" so D and E can go.
In C, the position of "they" is quite awkward; "their" has pronoun abiguity.
Between A and B now.
In B as well, "their" has pronoun ambiguity.
A seems good because "they" clearly refers to "depressed property values" and "whose" clearly refers to "homeowners". Conveys the meaning properly.
I will go with A.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
madhukaramar wrote:
In choice C as well , "They" is the subject of the 2nd clause. So is't "They" still refer to the subject of 1st clause unambiguously. Is the Placement of the phrase "for homeowner" in front of the subject of such effect that we can't apply the pronoun rule (sub of 2nd clause unambiguously refers to sub of 1st clause) here.

Kindly help.

Thank You -
Madhukar

Great question! And the answer is that the tendency for a subject pronoun to refer back to the subject of the previous clause isn't really a hard rule. It's just the most logical way for that pronoun to function. For example, "After the neighbor's dogs pee all over my carpet, they seem to taunt me with a victory dance." "They" refers to "neighbor's dogs" because it makes sense for the same subject to have performed both actions, not because I'm blindly applying a grammar rule.

However, watch what happens when I introduce the second clause with an additional plural noun: "After the neighbor's dogs pee all over my carpet, with encouragement from my sociopathic cats, they seem to taunt me with a victory dance." This construction isn't wrong, but it's easy to imagine a reader having to work a little harder to rule out the possibility that "they" now refers to "cats." It just isn't quite as clear as the previous example.

But ultimately, you're right. Even if the antecedent of "they" is little bit less clear in (C) than in (A), we'd prefer to eliminate an answer by using a more concrete error. The more definitive problem with (C) is that "their" seems to refer to "property values" rather than "homeowners." This is illogical.

I hope that helps clarify things!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
Send PM
(B) they can potentially devastate homeowners in that their

Did not understand why B is wrong? I don't think awkward is a good way to eliminate B.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
akash7gupta11 wrote:

Did not understand why B is wrong? I don't think awkward is a good way to eliminate B.

akash7gupta11, have you tried reviewing this post?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Dear GMATGuruNY,

I know that choice B. is wrong for multiple grounds.
However, I wonder whether "in that" is correctly used in choice B.?

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3134 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
Dear GMATGuruNY,

I know that choice B. is wrong for multiple grounds.
However, I wonder whether "in that" is correctly used in choice B.?

To express a STATE-OF-BEING, we typically use forms of to be:
John IS happy.
Mary WAS happy.
The children HAVE BEEN happy.

This type of verb is known as a linking verb.

Generally, in that serves to modify a preceding linking verb, specifying the way in which the preceding STATE-OF-BEING is true.
Teratomas ARE unusual in that they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone.
Here, the modifier in green serves to specify the way in which teratomas ARE unusual.

B: they can potentially devastate homeowners in that
Here, in that seems to modify devastate, which is not a linking verb.
For this reason, I would be skeptical of B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Here, in that seems to modify devastate, which is not a linking verb.
For this reason, I would be skeptical of B.

Dear GMATGuruNY,

In light of your reply below, can I view choice B. as B: they can BE potentially devastatING TO homeowners in that
GMATGuruNY wrote:
varotkorn wrote:
DIFFER is action verb. It is not a form to BE.
Why is "in that" correctly used here?

While differ is not a linking verb, it still serves to express a state-of-being.
X differs from Y = X and Y are different.
The OA above can be rephrased as follows:
The membranes are different in that they are attached to a cartilage rod.
Hence, the usage of in that seems justified.

Since BE devastatING is a state-of-being, "in that" in choice B. seems fine right?
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
Dear GMATGuruNY,

In light of your reply below, can I view choice B. as B: they can BE potentially devastatING TO homeowners in that

Since BE devastatING is a state-of-being, "in that" in choice B. seems fine right?

No.
A verb that expresses a state-of-being cannot take a direct object.
A verb that takes a direct object expresses an ACTION that is performed upon the direct object.
Here, the verb in red has a direct object -- homeowners -- and thus serves to express not a state-of-being but an ACTION.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Dear GMATGuruNY,

It's very crystal clear now :)

One last quick question, though.

(D) for homeowners, it is potentially devastating in that their

According to your explanation, "in that" in choice D. is correct, right?
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
Dear GMATGuruNY,

It's very crystal clear now :)

One last quick question, though.

(D) for homeowners, it is potentially devastating in that their

According to your explanation, "in that" in choice D. is correct, right?

In D, the verb is appropriate, but the modifiers in color convey conflicting meanings.
Whereas the blue modifier implies that the state-of-being is POSSIBLE, the red modifier expresses the way in which the state-of-being is TRUE.
Since the two modifiers convey contradictory meanings, this usage of in that does not seem viable.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
Send PM
I had doubt in A/B. A looked good to me, but went for B finalising on parallelism b/w "While X can hurt.., Y ..can devastate..."
Am I correct to think of parallelism b/w comparing clauses (due to use of 'While')??
Pls, explain, I have to take my exam soon. Thanks.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3134 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Stormcool wrote:
I had doubt in A/B. A looked good to me, but went for B finalising on parallelism b/w "While X can hurt.., Y ..can devastate..."
Am I correct to think of parallelism b/w comparing clauses (due to use of 'While')??
Pls, explain, I have to take my exam soon. Thanks.

The usage of an introductory while-modifier does not require parallelism.
The primary issue is MEANING.
Generally, an introductory while-clause must serve to express a CONTRAST.
The OA to SC77 in the OG16:
While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.
Here, the two colored clauses express contrasting ideas, but the blue clause is not parallel with the green clause.

Originally posted by GMATGuruNY on 06 Nov 2020, 12:58.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on 07 Nov 2020, 03:52, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos