Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [1]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Re: While digging in the Egyptian desert, huge fossil bones have been foun [#permalink]
Why do we need 'appears' here? Appears is singular while the word huge fossil bones is plural. Don't we need the word 'appear' here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: Desautels '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.09
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: While digging in the Egyptian desert, huge fossil bones have been foun [#permalink]
how is what referring to the dinosaur i think what is referring to bones? please help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Jp27 wrote:
davidfrank wrote:
Jp27 wrote:
While digging in the Egyptian desert, huge fossil bones have been found by paleontologists, which appears to have been the second most massive dinosaur that ever lived.

A. huge fossil bones have been found by paleontologists, which appears to have been
B. huge fossil bones have been found by paleontologists, which appear to be from
C. it appears that paleontologists have found huge fossil bones that are from
D. paleontologists have found huge fossil bones from what appears to be
E. paleontologists have found huge fossil bones, which are from what appear to be

OA after some discussion .....

A ,which refers to paleontologists....meaning wise it should refer to bones
B for the same reasons
C Place holder "it" used to post infinitive or that clause, the usage is inocrrect
D SV agreement problem...what is subject of the verb appears...no singular subject
E Correct...
What is the OA..

As the above poster has noted, we need appearS because of "dinosaur"

NOTES for the incorrect explanation about what if the subject of "appear(s)"
Not because of "dinosaur". "What" NEVER stand for another noun but something that is not specifically named in the sentence =? Verb after "what" need a singular form
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Send PM
abrakadabra21 wrote:
While digging in the Egyptian desert, huge fossil bones have been found by paleontologists, which appears to have been the second most massive dinosaur that ever lived.

A. huge fossil bones have been found by paleontologists, which appears to have been
B. huge fossil bones have been found by paleontologists, which appear to be from
E. paleontologists have found huge fossil bones, which are from what appear to be

what is the problem with "it" in choice C?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Hugoba wrote:
Dear Mike,

I'm having a hard time trying to understand a particular structure in one GMATPrep SC question. The question is the following:

A) huge fossil bones have been found by paleontologists, which appears to have been
B) huge fossil bones have been found by paleontologists, which appear to be from
C) it appears that paleontologists have found huge fossil bones that are from
D) paleontologists have found huge fossil bones from what appears to be (correct)
E) paleontologists have found huge fossil bones, which are from what appear to be

My doubt is related to the structure "from what appears to be the second most massive dinosaur that ever lived". How can I classify this structure using the magoosh terminology? What is the subject of the verb appears? Can you explain the role of the word "what" in this structure?

Many Thanks

Dear Hugoba,
I'm happy to respond. :-) I'm sorry that there was a little delay: during the holidays, I didn't visit GC much.

What you ask is an excellent question. The word "what" in this context is a relative pronoun. Other relative pronouns are: who, whom, that, which, whoever, whatever. This is very important: a relative pronoun introduces a subordinate clause and, unlike a subordinate conjunction, plays a role as a noun in the clause. The relative pronoun may be the subject of the clause:
This is the man who wrote that interesting article.
I would like to thank whoever pruned the trees out front.
The relative pronoun may be the direct object of the verb of clause:
The man whom the police detained refuses to cooperate.
The novel The Great Gatsby, which I read for the first time this past year, was made into a famous movie in 2013.

Here's the OA of that GMAT Prep sentence
While digging in the Egyptian desert, paleontologists have found huge fossil bones from what appears to be the second most massive dinosaur that ever lived.
In the main clause of this sentence:
"paleontologists" is the main subject
"have found" is the main verb

The subordinate clause, a noun-clause or substantive clause, opens with the relative pronoun "what," which acts as the subject of the clause, the subject of the verb "appears." This entire substantive clause is the object of the preposition "from."

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Hi mikemcgarry daagh AndrewN

I agree to your explanation, when we cosnider the dinasour to be 1 single dinasour. But i considered it the whole specie(2nd largest specie) and hence required pluar verb which is in E. Kindly let me know why it should not be cosidered as the whole species but considered as 1 single dinasour?
Moreover, generally when we talk of fossiles, we talk in terms of species only.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
shanks2020 wrote:
Quote:

A) huge fossil bones have been found by paleontologists, which appears to have been
B) huge fossil bones have been found by paleontologists, which appear to be from
C) it appears that paleontologists have found huge fossil bones that are from
D) paleontologists have found huge fossil bones from what appears to be
E) paleontologists have found huge fossil bones, which are from what appear to be

Hi mikemcgarry daagh AndrewN

I agree to your explanation, when we cosnider the dinasour to be 1 single dinasour. But i considered it the whole specie(2nd largest specie) and hence required pluar verb which is in E. Kindly let me know why it should not be cosidered as the whole species but considered as 1 single dinasour?
Moreover, generally when we talk of fossiles, we talk in terms of species only.

The answer, shanks2020, lies in the inverted sentence structure at the tail-end of the sentence, particularly the singular the second most massive dinosaur. The comparison is of one type of dinosaur to another type (i.e. the most massive), irrespective of the individuals within that type. This is no different from saying, The tyrannosaurus rex was (not were) a fast-moving predator. It is understood that the sentence is talking about all T. rexes (or shall I say reges?), rather than a single specimen. If you straighten out choices (D) and (E), you get the following. I will underline the part in each sentence that concerns subject-verb agreement.

(D.2) What appears to be the second most massive dinosaur that ever lived [left] huge fossil bones that paleontologists have found while digging in the Egyptian desert.

(E.2) What appear to be the second most massive dinosaur that ever lived [left] huge fossil bones that paleontologists have found while digging in the Egyptian desert.

The problem with (E) should now be clear. The preposition from in both original answer choices serves as a cue that a subject, a noun of some sort, is about to follow. That subject, the dinosaur at its base, takes a singular verb agreement.

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, just let me know. Thank you for calling my attention to the question.

- Andrew

Hi AndrewN

Thanks for the reply. My query was typically on the consideraton of a specie as plural when we consider them as a whole.
So should it be taken as a observation? That when we talk of a whole class(specie) here we would use singular verb?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
shanks2020 wrote:
Hi AndrewN

Thanks for the reply. My query was typically on the consideraton of a specie as plural when we consider them as a whole.
So should it be taken as a observation? That when we talk of a whole class(specie) here we would use singular verb?

You always want to look for contextual clues to guide you in your decision-making. Examine both the underlined and non-underlined portions to see if anything stands out, and if the answer choices present a split on the issue, as was the case here, you will position yourself to answer the question correctly.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
Jp27 wrote:

This question is based on Modifiers.

The sentence begins with the modifier “While digging in the Egyptian desert”. This modifier cannot describe “huge bones”, which is the noun placed immediately after the comma in Options A and B, making the noun the subject of the modifier. Since there is an error of dangling modifier in both these options, Options A and B can be ruled out.

Option C is not much better. The pronoun ‘it’ cannot be an appropriate subject for the modifier either. So, Option C can also be eliminated.

Options D and E contain the noun ‘paleontologists’, which has been placed after the modifier. This noun can be an appropriate subject for the modifier. Option E, however is wordy. So, it can be eliminated.

In Option D, the relative pronoun ‘what’ stands in for the phrase ‘something that’. So, the sentence would read - paleontologists have found huge fossil bones from something that appears to be the second most massive dinosaur that ever lived. Subject-verb agreement is thus maintained as the verb 'appears' can agree with the relative pronoun 'what'. Therefore, D is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
While digging in the Egyptian desert, huge fossil bones have been foun [#permalink]
Hi AndrewN - - my question is out of curiousity, specifically of the structure in the pink (After the preposition FROM) - in option D

Quote:
(Option D) While digging in the Egyptian desert, paleontologists have found huge fossil bones FROM what appears to be the second most massive dinosaur

Is the S-V (in the pink specifically) inverted ?

I have a created a simpler analogy to see if what comes after the preposition {From} may be an inverted structure.

Quote:
Scientists have found bones FROM what is the ocean

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 03 Feb 2022, 08:06.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 03 Feb 2022, 10:26, edited 12 times in total.
VP
VP
Send PM
While digging in the Egyptian desert, huge fossil bones have been foun [#permalink]
^^^ AndrewN

In my analogy in the pink -- I dont think the noun phrase (in pink) is inverted because i cant flip it around

Quote:
Original - Scientists have found bones FROM what IS the ocean
flipped - Scientists have found bones FROM what the ocean IS - this flipping doesnt make sense to me personally or do you think its okay ?

Normally if the S-V is inverted - you should be able to flip the struture per my understanding. In this case, flipping the structure (within the pink) -- is not working for me at-least

If the pink is not an inverted structure, then is "what" perhaps the subject ? I didnt think so either if i replace "What" with the target noun, the the sentence becomes
Quote:
Original - Scientists have found bones FROM what is the ocean
Subject - Scientists have found bones FROM the ocean is the ocean

Your thoughts on this structure (in the pink) would be much appreciated.

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 03 Feb 2022, 09:20.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 03 Feb 2022, 10:28, edited 30 times in total.
VP
VP
Send PM
Hi AjiteshArun - from the list of subordinate conjunctions / relative pronouns here

i dont see "what" mentioned as a relative pronoun (in option D, 'what' is supposedly a relative pronoun)

Hmm i think these are 'what clauses' and can have different structures. The rules governing this are pretty complicated i think. Do you think the GMAT expects us to know this ? i doubt it..

So why is this then tested on a GMAT prep question?

What-Clauses
VP
VP
Send PM
^^^MartyTargetTestPrep

Let’s, say that the 2nd largest dinosaur is in the picture
The person in the painting is the paleontologist

Thus, the paleontologist found large fossils FROM the 2nd largest dinosaur

Its as if the paleontologist is finding these large fossils FROM the exoskeleton of the 2nd largest dinosaur.

Isn’t that an interpretation of D, given the prepositional phrase could be modifying the main verb of the clause.

Thus i got rid of D because option D, opened up for this interpretation.

Hence, I preferred E because the prepositoinal phrase "what appears to be ..." refers to be fossils only
Attachments

Picture.JPG
Picture.JPG [ 70.08 KiB | Viewed 1508 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
I need help understanding why the author chose to use the present participle tense with "have found" in Option D. Why couldn't it just have been "found"?

paleontologists found huge fossil bones from what appears to be
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT 1: 570 Q40 V28
Send PM
Balbimoore wrote:
I need help understanding why the author chose to use the present participle tense with "have found" in Option D. Why couldn't it just have been "found"?

Dear Balbimoore

Present participle tense is used to show an action that has been done recently but the consequence is still there.
Example: I have done verbal practice from gmatclub.

In this sentence, paleontologists have found huge fossil bones, which is the still considered as the bone of second most massive dinosaur that ever lived. It is supposed that paleontologists have already found some biggest fossil bones to be considered as the bone of the biggest dino. Now this huge fossil belongs to the second most biggest dino.

Hope it helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [0]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Balbimoore wrote:

The author has used the present perfect tense in paleontologists have found huge fossil bones. The reason could be that the finding is recent, or it could be that he hasn't indicated when the bones were found. The simple past tense is usually accompanied by indicators of when the action happened.

Note, the answer would remain the same even if the author has chosen simple past instead of present perfect. The other choices have serious errors.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts