Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 26 May 2017, 10:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S
Followers: 1416

Kudos [?]: 6779 [1] , given: 84

Re: While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 11:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sukanyar wrote:
Slightly confusing. In the answer we have "for" other types of power plants, but there is no "for" on the right hand side at all (in your 3a and 3b versions). So, how is "of' changing to "for".

sananoor wrote:
you have put a very good question, now just ask ur self what is right
the cost of X is same as it is FOR others (we arn't comparing cost of X to cost of others, we are trying to say that cost of running something is same as it is for other plants)
the cost of X is same as it is OF others--wrong

Dear sukanyar,
I'm happy to respond. :-) On behalf of the English Language, I apologize. Grammar is not mathematics. Grammar is not mathematics. There are patterns, to be sure, but none of the patterns of grammar are as rigorously clean and logical as the patterns of mathematics. If you approach GMAT grammar looking for the precise rules to follow, the English language will endlessly frustrate you.

There is absolutely no way to get to GMAT SC mastery by assembling some ideal set of grammar rules. You have to read. You have to develop an ear for the living language in all its idiosyncrasy. See this blog article:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Magoosh Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 6779 [2] , given: 84

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 11:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
baaniNitin wrote:
. While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity.

Could someone please tell me what it refers to in A ? is it power plants or costs ? i know its comparison issues . please explain for my understanding

Dear baaniNitin,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

This is a very tricky grammatical issue. It is called the "empty it." Here's a blog explaining it in detail:
The Empty ‘It’ on the GMAT Sentence Correction

Of course, there are two it's in the sentence, but both are empty. Here's a simpler example.
It is better to give than to receive.
Technically, the antecedent of the word "it" is the infinitive "to give" that comes after it. The empty "it" is used when a subject or clause is the subject and it would be awkward to put the subject before the verb. For example, this sentence is very awkward:
"To give is better than to receive."
It's grammatically correct but it sounds awful. The empty "it" makes it much more eloquent. Similarly,
"To run nuclear plants costs about the same as for other types of power plants ..."
That sounds atrocious. The empty "it" makes this construction much more natural sounding.
"It costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants ..."
Technically, the antecedent of the "it" is the infinitive phrase "to run nuclear plants." Technically, that is the subject of this clause.

The second empty "it" employs a particular structure that creates rhetorical emphasis. It is used to create a kind of contrast, especially when the contrasting element may defy common expectations. Consider this sentence.
People think Edison invented the light bulb, but James Lindsay created the first.
That sentence is grammatically correct. Rhetorically, it is so-so: yes, there's the contrast word "but," but it's a mealy-mouthed wet-noodle contrast. It doesn't pack any punch. Here's a revision:
People think Edison invented the light bulb, but it was James Lindsay who created the first.
That is much more rhetorically effective: it creates a great deal of emphasis on the contrast. Grammatically, the antecedent of the empty "it" is "James Linsday," whose name comes after the verb. The antecedent of the empty "it," the real subject, is always after the verb.
Consider this sentence
While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make it more expensive for them to generate electricity.
Grammatically correct, but YAWN! Not all that exciting. By contrast
While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity.
That creates more emphasis, and highlights something that might contradict our expectations about the situation. That is a very effective sentence rhetorically.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 6779 [1] , given: 84

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2016, 10:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
NoHalfMeasures wrote:
I am still not sure how choice B uses correct parallelism/comparison. It compares: cost of something with cost for something. If we were to write the complete sentence with omitting any words, we would write "While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as the cost of running other types of power plants,..." and not write "While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as the cost for running other types of power plants,..."

Does that make sense? Can experts help pls?

Dear NoHalfMeasures,

My friend, I think you need to deepen your understanding of what parallelism is. Parallelism is a pattern of logical correspondence that is reflected in the grammar. Folks fixate on the grammatical aspects of parallelism and lose sight of the logical and rhetorical aspects. A typical mistake along these lines is to conceive of parallelism incorrectly as requiring a kind of military lockstep conformity. The sophisticated use of parallelism does not require the exact same details at all levels: it simply requires enough to convey the logical correspondence and no more. The GMAT loves to present sophisticated parallelism as in the OA of this problem, because it presents a challenge to all who hold to the more simplistic "lockstep" picture of parallelism.

Here's (B):
While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.

Once again, the GMAT absolutely loves this sort of structure. This is a very sophisticated use of parallelism, and the grammatical beancounters who want exact matches in prepositions in all cases will be frustrated. The simple phrase "as for other types of power plants" elegantly conveys the logical relationship flawlessly, without any ambiguity. It perfectly establishes the logical correspondence between nuclear plants and other types of power plants, and it established this with an economy of expression. For those who really understand what parallelism is, this is a masterpiece, a logical and rhetorical success. For folks stuck at the level of grammar alone, ignoring the logic and rhetoric, this looks like it doesn't able the rigid lockstep rules. Such a person clinging to this rule is left holding only an empty husk, because the meaning has eluded his grasp. I would strongly urge you to take your understanding of parallelism to the next level.

Here's another question that explores a similar issue:
The FDA enacted

It is a mistake to think that GMAT SC is only about grammar. In fact, grammar, logic, and rhetoric are all equally important. Mastery of SC comes from having an integrated understanding of the interaction of those three.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 415 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2016, 13:09
Thanks for your reply Mike. And sorry to make you write such a long post on parallelism while I didn't intend to ask you about that. What I meant was 'for other types of power plants' should stand for 'costs for other types of power plants' and until this point I thought 'cost for' was idiomatically wrong. Ive always thought that the correct preposition to go with 'cost' was 'of' or 'to'. For instance-

1. cost of acquiring - right
2. cost to acquire - right
3. cost for acquiring - wrong

But now I see on very few rare occasions that 'cost for' is also used although 'cost of' is far far more prevalent. In fact not even a single example uses cost+for here -->http://sentence.yourdictionary.com/cost. Until now whenever I heard someone say cost+for I always felt they(singular they) were making a dialectal error.

Is 'cost+for' a recent (a few decades old) addition to the grammar books or has it existed for centuries in formal writing? Do you know good resources where I can find etymology of 'cost+for' and not just 'cost'? or http://english.stackexchange.com/ is the way to go?

Please contact me for super inexpensive quality private tutoring

My journey V46 and 750 -> http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-journey-to-46-on-verbal-750overall-171722.html#p1367876

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 6779 [0], given: 84

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2016, 10:14
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
NoHalfMeasures wrote:
Thanks for your reply Mike. And sorry to make you write such a long post on parallelism while I didn't intend to ask you about that. What I meant was 'for other types of power plants' should stand for 'costs for other types of power plants' and until this point I thought 'cost for' was idiomatically wrong. Ive always thought that the correct preposition to go with 'cost' was 'of' or 'to'. For instance-

1. cost of acquiring - right
2. cost to acquire - right
3. cost for acquiring - wrong

But now I see on very few rare occasions that 'cost for' is also used although 'cost of' is far far more prevalent. In fact not even a single example uses cost+for here -->http://sentence.yourdictionary.com/cost. Until now whenever I heard someone say cost+for I always felt they(singular they) were making a dialectal error.

Is 'cost+for' a recent (a few decades old) addition to the grammar books or has it existed for centuries in formal writing? Do you know good resources where I can find etymology of 'cost+for' and not just 'cost'? or http://english.stackexchange.com/ is the way to go?

Dear NoHalfMeasures,

My friend, with all due respect, you are entirely misconceptualizing the situation. Here's (B) again:
While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.
You are misunderstanding the role of the word "for."

It is NOT a new idiom for the word "cost." As you said, the principle idiom is "cost of X," where X is the item whose value is assessed. The "to" would arise in attaching an infinitive of purpose to the noun "cost." The "for" could arise if we were talking about a specific group of purchases.
The movie costs $15 for adults, but the cost for senior citizens is less.
That's what might be happening with idioms, but the "for" in sentence (B) is not an idiom with a particular word.

The use of "for" in this sentence has the connotation "for the case of." It's a rhetorical way to introduce a different logical focus. Consider this sentence.
My friend thinks baseball is boring, but for me it's the most engaging sports game.
In that sentence, the word "for" indicates a shift from my friend's perspective to my perspective. More generally, it is a formal way to indicate a shift in rhetorical focus. That's what the word "for" is doing in sentence (B). It has nothing to do with idioms.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Director
Director
P
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: IIMA , IIMB, ISB
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 102

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2016, 14:51
macjas wrote:
While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity.

A. While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity.
Error-1: cost is compared with other types of power plants
Error-2: it is the fixed cost.....that makes it... (Empty it).

B While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.
running is ellipsed here. "cost of running....is about the same as for (running) other types of power plants,....
no ambiguity for they as well.

C. Even though it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes the electricity they generate more expensive.
Error-1:ellipsis error. "Cost about the same to run nuclear plants as for (running) other types of power plants,..." running is not parallel to run. and "for run" will be wrong anyway.
Error-2: makes is wrong for the subject plants.
Error-3: Even though it costs about the same..... it is the fixed costs... (Empty it).

D. It costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants, whereas the electricity they generate is more expensive, stemming from the fixed costs of building nuclear plants.
Error-1: Same as error-1 in choice "C"
Error-2: they is ambiguous.

E. The cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as other types of power plants, but the electricity they generate is made more expensive because of the fixed costs stemming from building nuclear plants.
Error-3: "is made " this passive construction is wrong.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 36

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2016, 00:43
HKD1710 wrote:
macjas wrote:

A. While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity.
Error-2: it is the fixed cost.....that makes it... (Empty it).

B While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.
running is ellipsed here. "cost of running....is about the same as for (running) other types of power plants,....
no ambiguity for they as well.

C. Even though it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes the electricity they generate more expensive.
Error-1:ellipsis error. "Cost about the same to run nuclear plants as for (running) other types of power plants,..." running is not parallel to run. and "for run" will be wrong anyway.
Error-2: makes is wrong for the subject plants.
Error-3: Even though it costs about the same..... it is the fixed costs... (Empty it).

D. It costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants, whereas the electricity they generate is more expensive, stemming from the fixed costs of building nuclear plants.
Error-1: Same as error-1 in choice "C"

E. The cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as other types of power plants, but the electricity they generate is made more expensive because of the fixed costs stemming from building nuclear plants.
Error-3: "is made " this passive construction is wrong.

Hi HKD1710,

Why is The cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as " the cost of running " other types of power plants
an incorrect comparison?

Isn't "the cost of running" implied in the second clause.

Same with While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as " it costs " other types of power plants

Please explain. This is killing lot of my questions :(

What gets measured, gets managed

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2016, 12:16
pranav6082 wrote:
Hi HKD1710,

Why is The cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as " the cost of running " other types of power plants
an incorrect comparison?

Same with While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as " it costs " other types of power plants

Dear pranav6082,

Many students mistakenly believe that the GMAT SC is purely a test of grammar. In fact, grammar & logic & rhetoric are three important criteria, and many many answer choices are wrong even though they are 100% grammatically correct because they have logical or rhetorical challenges.

With this in mind, think about these two versions:
1) The cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as the cost of running other types of power plants . . .
2) The cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as that of other types of power plants . . .
Both are 100% grammatically correct. Both are 100% logically correct. Version #2 is rhetorically much better than version #1. Rhetorically, #1 is quite awkward: if someone were to speak or write like this, it would incline fast thinking people not to be impressed with this person. That makes #1 "wrong," despite the fact that it is grammatically & logically correct.

I think you might be having trouble with this issue:
Dropping Common Words in Parallel on the GMAT

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 36

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2016, 20:05
mikemcgarry wrote:
pranav6082 wrote:
Hi HKD1710,

an incorrect comparison?

Dear pranav6082,

Many students mistakenly believe that the GMAT SC is purely a test of grammar. In fact, grammar & logic & rhetoric are three important criteria, and many many answer choices are wrong even though they are 100% grammatically correct because they have logical or rhetorical challenges.

With this in mind, think about these two versions:
1) The cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as the cost of running other types of power plants . . .
2) The cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as that of other types of power plants . . .
Both are 100% grammatically correct. Both are 100% logically correct. Version #2 is rhetorically much better than version #1. Rhetorically, #1 is quite awkward: if someone were to speak or write like this, it would incline fast thinking people not to be impressed with this person. That makes #1 "wrong," despite the fact that it is grammatically & logically correct.

I think you might be having trouble with this issue:
Dropping Common Words in Parallel on the GMAT

Hi Mike

Much thanks for the response.

Going by the logic that we can drop common words, i am wondering why "The cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as other types of power plants . . ." is incorrect. (drop off "that of" as "the cost of running" is implied)

What gets measured, gets managed

VP
VP
S
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 859

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2016, 00:54
macjas wrote:

THE SAME AS IS SPECIAL, different from other comparison words.
i think the problem is more simple.
the same as have special use . look at a dictionary. there are only TWO PATTERN IS USED FOR THE SAME

the same... as....
in this pattern, both words after "same" and "as" must be in the same form
I drive the same car as yours.

but there are another pattern in which the same as is used. in this pattern, we do not have two similar words after "same" and "as". we only keep two subject of two clause.

I drive the same car as you.

this this patern only subjects of two clause are kept.

this pattern is correct and is tested by gmat. there is one question on gmatprep for this test. you can google to find out.

come back to our question. the same as must be used in one of two pattern.

look at A.

. While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants

after "as" subject must follow or the similar word to the the word after "same" must be used. A can not fall into one of these cases, . A is wrong.

there is one gmatprep which test the second pattern in which only subject of second clause is kept. just remember that THE SAME AS IS SPECIAL. we do not alway need two words similar after "same " and " as".

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

VP
VP
S
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 859

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2016, 01:21
want to suplement my previous posting
the same has TWO MEANING
it show the same thing, there is one thing. in this meaning, the subject of second clause is kept
I drive the same car as you. THERE IS ONLY ONE CAR HERE.

the second meaning is two things similar

I drive the same car as yours.

there are two cars here.

in dictionary, two meanings are explained.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2016, 11:19
pranav6082 wrote:
Hi Mike

Much thanks for the response.

Going by the logic that we can drop common words, i am wondering why "The cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as other types of power plants . . ." is incorrect. (drop off "that of" as "the cost of running" is implied)

Dear pranav6082,
I'm happy to respond. :-) The rule is that we are allowed to drop common words in the second branch of parallel structure as long as we don't introduce ambiguity.

Consider this structure that you suggested:
The cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as other types of power plants . . .
This now is identical to the phrasing for an illogical comparison, comparing "cost" of one type of power plant to the "power plants" of other types. This is perfect phrasing for the illogical comparison, so we have to make clear that we actually understand comparisons by indicating some difference between this illogical version and what we want to say.

If we drop so many words that we can read the phrase in another way, even if this alternative reading is 100% illogical, then we have dropped too many words.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 161

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2016, 07:19
macjas wrote:

A) parallelism is ok. but, singular verb 'makes' is not ok for plural noun (fixed cost) . the vverb should be 'make' not 'makes'
B) '' the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity''..My question is: HOW a fixed cost make the electricity?
C) run nuclear plants.........FOR other types of power plants> parallelism is not ok. also, 'makes' should be 'make'
D) run nuclear plants.........FOR other types of power plants> parallelism is not ok. here, 'stemming' is a dangling modifier.
E) OF running nuclear plants.........as other types of power....> parallelism is not ok.

Did I make any mistake in my explanation without B, expert?
Thanks...

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 161

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2016, 01:19
zoezhuyan wrote:
hard one
any one can explain the "for" in the choices. how to identify it is unnecessary,

In C: Even though it costs about the same to run nuclear plants (X) as for other types of power plants (Y), it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes the electricity they generate more expensive.
The correct idiom is: same as or same x as y
"to run" is an infinitive but ''for other types of power plants'' is a prepositional phrase. The parallelism is not ok.
Thanks,

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 515

Kudos [?]: 2272 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2016, 11:45
zoezhuyan wrote:
hard one
any one can explain the "for" in the choices. how to identify it is unnecessary,

In the above question, "it costs.... " construction does not require " for". On the other hand "the cost..." construction requires "for". The basic structures are:

It costs same to run XXX as it costs to run YYY. (no "for" required)
The cost for XXX is same as the cost for YYY. ("for" required).
Manager
Manager
B
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 28

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2016, 22:39
sayantanc2k wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
hard one

In the above question, "it costs.... " construction does not require " for". On the other hand "the cost..." construction requires "for". The basic structures are:

hi Sayantackc2k
the cost of running A is the same as (the cost) FOR B, not of ?

please clarify

thanks a lot
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2016, 22:43
iMyself wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
hard one

In C: Even though it costs about the same to run nuclear plants (X) as for other types of power plants (Y), it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes the electricity they generate more expensive.
The correct idiom is: same as or same x as y
"to run" is an infinitive but ''for other types of power plants'' is a prepositional phrase. The parallelism is not ok.
Thanks,

hi iMyself

why 'FOR" is necessary in E? why not "of", if consider parallelism, why not "of", because the cost of ......
please clarify

thank a lot
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 09:16
zoezhuyan wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
hard one

hi Sayantackc2k
the cost of running A is the same as (the cost) FOR B, not of ?

please clarify

thanks a lot

Yes, you have a point. Ideally the construction should have been:

The cost of running A is the same as the cost of running B.
Parallel elements:
Cost of running A
Cost of running B.

However,the construction in option B is not grammatically wrong either:

the cost of running A is the same as (the cost) for B.. (repeated part cost omitted)
Parallel elements:
Cost of running A
Cost for B.

In both cases the comparison is between costs. It is not mandatory to maintain parallelism for what follows "cost", i.e. the rest of the two parallel elements.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 22:47
sayantanc2k wrote:

Parallel elements:
Cost of running A
Cost of running B.

the cost of running A is the same as (the cost) for B.. (repeated part cost omitted)
Parallel elements:
Cost of running A
Cost for B.

In both cases the comparison is between costs. It is not mandatory to maintain parallelism for what follows "cost", i.e. the rest of the two parallel elements.

thanks so much.

cost of running A
is the same as
cost of running B
-- parallelism: cost (of doing ) & cost (of doing )

cost of running A
is the same as
cost of B
-- illogical because parallelism : cost (of doing) & cost of (thing)

cost of running A
is the same as
cost for B = cost of running B
--- parallelism: cost (of doing ) & cost (of doing )

my understanding is right?

thanks a lot
have a nice day

>_~
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 08:51
zoezhuyan wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

Parallel elements:
Cost of running A
Cost of running B.

Parallel elements:
Cost of running A
Cost for B.

thanks so much.

cost of running A
is the same as
cost of running B
-- parallelism: cost (of doing ) & cost (of doing )

cost of running A
is the same as
cost of B
-- illogical because parallelism : cost (of doing) & cost of (thing)

cost of running A
is the same as
cost for B = cost of running B
--- parallelism: cost (of doing ) & cost (of doing )

my understanding is right?

thanks a lot
have a nice day

>_~

Let me elaborate a bit more clearly. As long as the comparison is between cost and cost , the sentence is grammatically correct. If the prepositional modifiers of cost are different, then the sentence cannot be said wrong. Nonetheless using similar modifiers is preferred.

All the three cases you have mentioned above is alright

cost (of doing) & cost of (thing): NOT illogical.
Cost of eating dinner at XYZ restaurant (say INR 1000) is less than the cost of this bicycle (say INR 5000)..... alright.
Re: While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2016, 08:51

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 101 posts ]