GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 21:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

While it requires about the same amount of water to create cement

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior SC Moderator
V
While it requires about the same amount of water to create cement  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 17:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:59) correct 33% (01:52) wrong based on 439 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 111 Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

While it requires about the same amount of water to create cement renders as other types of mortar, it is the decreased drying time due to the faster moisture transfer in cement renders that make it a more attractive choice for contractors to use.

A) While it requires about the same amount of water to create cement renders as other types of mortar, it is the decreased drying time due to the faster moisture transfer in cement renders that make it a more attractive choice for contractors to use

B) Although it requires about the same amount of water to create cement renders as for other types of mortar, it is the decreased drying time due to the faster moisture transfer that make cement renders a more attractive choice for contractors to use

C) It requires about the same amount of water to create cement renders as for other types of mortar, whereas the cement renders they use have decreased drying time, due to the faster moisture transfer in cement renders, making them a more attractive choice for contractors

D) While the required amount of water to create cement renders is about the same as for other types of mortar, the decreased drying time due to the faster moisture transfer makes the use of cement renders a more attractive choice for contractors

E) The required amount of water to create cement renders is about the same as other types of mortar, but use of cement renders is made more attractive because of the decreased drying time being due to the faster moisture transfer

Source: PowerScore

The best or excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
More than one award of kudos is possible.

Choose life.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Re: While it requires about the same amount of water to create cement  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 18:21
IMO B .

Use of while is not correct.
No indication of simultaneous events.

Although seems to be okay as it correctly describe the contradiction ..

Still Improvising

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 19:31
While it requires about the same amount of water to create cement renders as other types of mortar, it is the decreased drying time due to the faster moisture transfer in cement renders that make it a more attractive choice for contractors to use.

Quote:
A) While it requires about the same amount of water to create cement renders as other types of mortar, it is the decreased drying time due to the faster moisture transfer in cement renders that make it a more attractive choice for contractors to use.

Subject-verb agreement issue. Make should be plural, since it is referring to "drying time".

Quote:
B) Although it requires about the same amount of water to create cement renders as for other types of mortar, it is the decreased drying time due to the faster moisture transfer that make cement renders a more attractive choice for contractors to use

Same as A. Also, "as for other types of mortar [requires]" is wrong.

Quote:
C) It requires about the same amount of water to create cement renders as for other types of mortar, whereas the cement renders they use have decreased drying time, due to the faster moisture transfer in cement renders, making them a more attractive choice for contractors.

Not a fan of all these ITs but not clear enough to eliminate. The "whereas" is not properly acting as a contrast here.

Quote:
D) While the required amount of water to create cement renders is about the same as for other types of mortar, the decreased drying time due to the faster moisture transfer makes the use of cement renders a more attractive choice for contractors

Correct subject verb agreement. Comparison works too.

Quote:
E) The required amount of water to create cement renders is about the same as other types of mortar, but use of cement renders is made more attractive because of the decreased drying time being due to the faster moisture transfer

I believe there should be a as [for] other types. Also the "being due" is unnecessary.
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V40
GMAT 2: 660 Q44 V37
GPA: 2.91

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 22:25
ALRIGHT!! lets do this.

I'm not certain here but I'm banking on D.

A) While it requires about the same amount of water to create cement renders as other types of mortar, it is the decreased drying time due to the faster moisture transfer in cement renders that make it a more attractive choice for contractors to use The tense for "MAKE" is wrong here. The moisture makes is. Also, the use of it throughout the sentence is ambiguous.

B) Although it requires about the same amount of water to create cement renders as for other types of mortar, it is the decreased drying time due to the faster moisture transfer that make cement renders a more attractive choice for contractors to use This is just a mess. What is the IT at the beginning of the sentence referring to.

C) It requires about the same amount of water to create cement renders as for other types of mortar, whereas the cement renders they use have decreased drying time, due to the faster moisture transfer in cement renders, making them a more attractive choice for contractors That "THEY" just kind of came out of no-where didn't it. wrong.

D) While the required amount of water to create cement renders is about the same as for other types of mortar, the decreased drying time due to the faster moisture transfer makes the use of cement renders a more attractive choice for contractors I like this. concise, there is no pronoun running loose to confuse us. the verb tenses match. HOWEVER, what I felt was most importantly is tthere is a defined structure in the sentence. While...the converse statement.

E) The required amount of water to create cement renders is about the same as other types of mortar, but use of cement renders is made more attractive because of the decreased drying time being due to the faster moisture transfer We all know about being. Time is never is a temporary state, It jsut is. incorrect.

Hope I got it right!!!
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: International Business, Finance
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Re: While it requires about the same amount of water to create cement  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2019, 05:53
I eliminated Option E as it uses 'because of'. Am I right?
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 00:09
generis wrote:

A) While it requires about the same amount of water to create cement renders as [FOR] other types of mortar, it is the decreased drying time due to the faster moisture transfer in cement renders that make it a more attractive choice for contractors to use

C) It requires about the same amount of water to create cement renders as for other types of mortar, whereas the cement renders they use have decreased drying time, due to the faster moisture transfer in cement renders, making them a more attractive choice for contractors [HOT MESS]

E) The required amount of water to create cement renders is about the same as [FOR] other types of mortar, but use of cement renders is made more attractive because of the decreased drying time [color=#ff0000]being due to the faster moisture transfer[/color]

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

The first part of the sentence is tough. Strip the second part.

While it requires about the same amount of water to create [color=#0000ff]cement renders as [FOR] other types of mortar, it is the decreased drying time due to the faster moisture transfer in cement renders that make it a more attractive choice for contractors to use

While it . . ., the decreased time . . . . make it [cement renders, a type of mortar, singular] a more attractive choice . . . [/color] :(

• Option A has a subject and verb agreement error between
the subject drying time and the verb make.
The correct verb is makes.

• Option A also contains an incomplete comparison in the first clause:
it requires about the same amount of water to create cement renders [a kind of mortar] as other types of mortar
X requires the same amount of water as X requires other types of mortar.
Water should be compared to water, not to mortar

• Option B contains the same S/V agreement error

• Option C
-- makes no logical sense
-- has no antecedent for "them" or "they"

"Cement renders" is a singular term.
That fact has to be uncovered.
In the comparative first clause, all of the options allude to cement renders as a type of mortar.

• Choice D corrects the verb (changes time/make to time/makes) and adds the preposition FOR to complete the comparison.

Finally, D removes the awkward emphatic structure.
Emphatic structure in this context refers to the other sentences and clauses
that begin with
It is . . .

• Choice E
-- contains an incomplete comparison (it needs "for")
-- the phrase that follows "because of" is unwieldy at best: "being due to" should be "that stems from."
Because of modifies verbs and clauses. "being due to" is not a verb.
Nor does what follows "because of" sensibly explain why the use of cement renders is preferred.

Answer D is correct.

COMMENTS
Raj30 , welcome, and yes, one reason to eliminate E is that the "because of" construction is incorrect.
m1033512 , welcome!

Split #1: S/V agreement
The subject is drying time, which is singular, and requires the verb MAKES, not make.
Eliminate options A and B

Split #2: pronouns without antecedents

"Cement renders" is a singular type of mortar.
Option C incorrectly uses "them" and "they."

Eliminate C

Split #3: COMPARE D to E

No contest.
Option D is straightforward, and as MWithrock
wrote,
I like this. Concise, there is no pronoun running loose to confuse us.
The verb tenses match.
HOWEVER, what I felt was most [important was] a defined structure in the sentence. While...the converse statement.

No doubt. We can eliminate E on other grounds, but if it takes five seconds to determine that D
is far superior and that nothing is wrong with D? In these very narrow instances, down to two options,
choose the better sentence.
(By "these very narrow instances," I mean that we should be eliminating four wrong answers,
not looking for one correct answer. Sometimes, however, eliminating answers, especially the last one of two,
comes down to comparing options.

MWithrock and anothermillenial wrote the best answers. Kudos!

Choose life.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2019, 16:55
generis wrote:

A) While it requires about the same amount of water to create cement renders as other types of mortar, it is the decreased drying time due to the faster moisture transfer in cement renders that make it a more attractive choice for contractors to use

C) It requires about the same amount of water to create cement renders as for other types of mortar, whereas the cement renders they use have decreased drying time, due to the faster moisture transfer in cement renders, making them a more attractive choice for contractors

Here is my approach :
So when I read the sentence I cannot find the subject. It starts with It uses a comma and mentions an it again. It has to refer to something and clearly it is not mentioned straight.
So I run through the answer choices and find out A and B both do the same thing.
C. Basically C compares it requires with whereas the cement? The construction doesn't make sense.
D. Looks good. The sentence basically mentions 2 reasons in a logical and parallel way for contractors to prefer cement.
E. Makes an illogical comparison. The required amount of water vs other types of mortar? That is not the case here.

Hence D.

generis Hello Sir, I usually do not write explanations for SC questions since I am still in learning phase but sometimes I give them a try. I would appreciate any positive criticism that can help me. Thank you :)
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2019, 22:56
TheNightKing wrote:
generis wrote:

Here is my approach :
So when I read the sentence I cannot find the subject. It starts with It uses a comma and mentions an it again. It has to refer to something and clearly it is not mentioned straight.
So I run through the answer choices and find out A and B both do the same thing.
C. Basically C compares it requires with whereas the cement? The construction doesn't make sense.
D. Looks good. The sentence basically mentions 2 reasons in a logical and parallel way for contractors to prefer cement.
E. Makes an illogical comparison. The required amount of water vs other types of mortar? That is not the case here.

Hence D.

generis Hello Sir, I usually do not write explanations for SC questions since I am still in learning phase but sometimes I give them a try. I would appreciate any positive criticism that can help me. Thank you :)

TheNightKing , I am very glad that you posted. +1 for diving in. :)

Comments? (1) Excellent strategy

Your strategy on this question is shrewd. Options A and B are confusing.
You understood that it was not worth your time to try to find a subject in options A and B.
Aspirants often get stuck trying to make sense of option A. You are correct: if an option does not make sense, move along.

Option C? Agreed: the construction is bizarre and it, too, is incomprehensible.
Still undaunted, you found text that made sense in (D) and checked (E).

(Footnote: This question does not lend itself to splits.
If a question has obvious splits, it is usually faster to eliminate options that way.
This note is not a criticism. You handled this question very well.)

(2) Comparisons?

Nice work on option E.
You seem to have a pretty good handle on how to assess comparisons.
Your approach seems to be a mixture of logic, grammar, and common sense.
That mixed approach will serve you well.

(3) Overall? Your instincts are good.
Staying calm when the first three options (or four!) do not reveal much is important.
One of the answers will make sense.

Suggestions? These suggestions are for this question only.
You may have already incorporated these suggestions into your mastery.

-- We are looking for four wrong answers, not one correct answer. (just making sure :) )
-- When you are asking for feedback, you might want to explain just a little more.
Explain so that someone who does not know as much as you do can follow.

For example, I liked the content of this part of your analysis:
E. Makes an illogical comparison. The required amount of water vs other types of mortar?
I don't understand this part: That is not the case here.
Be a little specific. WHAT is not the case? Or, what IS the case?

I invite you to join us on the SC Butler Project, whose main page is HERE.
I post two questions three times a week and delay the answer for 24 hours.
I post notice of the questions on the last page of the Butler thread.

Nicely done.

Choose life.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2019, 15:19
Quote:
TheNightKing , I am very glad that you posted. +1 for diving in. :)

Comments? (1) Excellent strategy

Your strategy on this question is shrewd. Options A and B are confusing.
You understood that it was not worth your time to try to find a subject in options A and B.
Aspirants often get stuck trying to make sense of option A. You are correct: if an option does not make sense, move along.

Option C? Agreed: the construction is bizarre and it, too, is incomprehensible.
Still undaunted, you found text that made sense in (D) and checked (E).

(Footnote: This question does not lend itself to splits.
If a question has obvious splits, it is usually faster to eliminate options that way.
This note is not a criticism. You handled this question very well.)

(2) Comparisons?

Nice work on option E.
You seem to have a pretty good handle on how to assess comparisons.
Your approach seems to be a mixture of logic, grammar, and common sense.
That mixed approach will serve you well.

(3) Overall? Your instincts are good.
Staying calm when the first three options (or four!) do not reveal much is important.
One of the answers will make sense.

Suggestions? These suggestions are for this question only.
You may have already incorporated these suggestions into your mastery.

-- We are looking for four wrong answers, not one correct answer. (just making sure :) )
-- When you are asking for feedback, you might want to explain just a little more.
Explain so that someone who does not know as much as you do can follow.

For example, I liked the content of this part of your analysis:
E. Makes an illogical comparison. The required amount of water vs other types of mortar?
I don't understand this part: That is not the case here.
Be a little specific. WHAT is not the case? Or, what IS the case?

I invite you to join us on the SC Butler Project, whose main page is HERE.
I post two questions three times a week and delay the answer for 24 hours.
I post notice of the questions on the last page of the Butler thread.

Nicely done.

generis
Hello Sir Thank you for taking the time out and responding to my comment in such a detailed manner. I truly appreciate it.
Thank you so much for your kind words. This was the first thing I read in the morning (Yes Gmatclub has become that website for me) and I was so happy to read your comment. :) It made my day. I wanted to reply to you in the morning but I knew I had a busy day at work and now I finally had the time to do it.

You may have already incorporated these suggestions into your mastery. - I do not have any mastery but Yes I am trying my best to reach to a level where I am very much comfortable with SC.

-- We are looking for four wrong answers, not one correct answer. (just making sure :) ) - Yes, As GMATNinja says : Do Not fall in love with one option. But Yes, I am very well aware and conscious of this fact.
-- When you are asking for feedback, you might want to explain just a little more. - I surely will try my best and write more detailed explanations (whenever I do :) )

I am aware about the SC Butler program and I have included it in my daily routine along with the RC Butler :)

Thank you for reading my response and helping me with first ever Moderator kudos.
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2019, 20:24
TheNightKing wrote:
Quote:
generis
Hello Sir Thank you for taking the time out and responding to my comment in such a detailed manner. I truly appreciate it.
Thank you so much for your kind words. This was the first thing I read in the morning (Yes Gmatclub has become that website for me) and I was so happy to read your comment. :) It made my day. I wanted to reply to you in the morning but I knew I had a busy day at work and now I finally had the time to do it.

Thank you for reading my response and helping me with first ever Moderator kudos.

TheNightKing , any day that I can make someone's life a little better is a good day. Your graciousness and dedication will take you far. Best of luck on the test. :)

Choose life.
GMAT Club Bot
While it requires about the same amount of water to create cement   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2019, 20:24

While it requires about the same amount of water to create cement

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics