GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jul 2018, 11:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2014
Posts: 244
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2014, 03:27
joshnsit wrote:
gmatcrook wrote:
While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face of physical threats and verbal attacks was not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused to move to the back of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama.

(A) not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused
(B) not unlike Rosa Parks, who refused
(C) like Rosa Parks and her refusal
(D) like that of Rosa Parks for refusing
(E) as that of Rosa Parks, who refused


A is OA. This is an OG10 questions



:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Isn't double negation an undesirable style of writing , GMAT or no GMAT ?
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 967
Location: Bangalore, India
Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2014, 09:50
himanshujovi wrote:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Isn't double negation an undesirable style of writing , GMAT or no GMAT ?

Well no. How do I know that? Well because this is an Official question and does use double negative in the correct option: ).

Having said that, GMAT does sometimes use double negative to create illogical meaning. In fact, the very first question in OG-13 uses a double negative in an incorrect option (..failed in not controlling..).

p.s. Our book SC Nirvana discusses double negatives as part of the meaning section. If you can PM you email, I can send you the corresponding section.
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

VP
VP
avatar
S
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1165
Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 01:05
gmatcrook wrote:
While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face of physical threats and verbal attacks was not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused to move to the back of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama.

(A) not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused
(B) not unlike Rosa Parks, who refused
(C) like Rosa Parks and her refusal
(D) like that of Rosa Parks for refusing
(E) as that of Rosa Parks, who refused


why D is wrong?

what is grmmatical role of "for doing" in choice D, Pls, help
_________________

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Posts: 59
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2016, 03:14
bhatiagp wrote:
Its between A & E,

Standard question between such as and like :

We use like whenever we need to write " similiar to " and such as to give examples .

The pizza at Pizza Parlor tastes like (similiar to ) the pizza sold at The Pizza Cafe.

He likes physical sports such as ( For e.g. ) Soccer, and Rugby.

Also we use like to compare nouns, , and such as when we compare clauses.

In this case we are comparing two individuals , hence A is better.

So the answer should be A


How can you say that we are comparing two individuals.
In A, the courage of two individuals is compared.
Can you plz explain?
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 May 2016
Posts: 8
While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 May 2016, 23:33
Hi Sa18,

About the comparison, you are absolutely right.
The comparison is between the courage of the two people.

Here's the sentence:
While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face of physical threats and verbal attacks was not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused to move to the back of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama.

Let's look at the options

(A) not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused
(B) not unlike Rosa Parks, who refused
(C) like Rosa Parks and her refusal
(D) like that of Rosa Parks for refusing
(E) as that of Rosa Parks, who refused

On first glance we realize that option B and C don't compare the correct things.
i.e. Courage vs Rosa Parks.
ELIMINATE options B and C.

Let's evaluate the remaining options.

Option E use of "as" is incorrect.
"as" is used only when actions are compared.
Eg. He dances as swiftly as she does.
Courage is not an action!
Eliminate Options E

Option A is concise and keeps the meaning intact
But option D uses the awkward construction "for refusing".

Option A is more concise and is therefore the correct response!

Take Away:
On the GMAT SC, there will be multiple errors that can be observed among the options, your job isn't to find ALL of them.
Rather zone in on an error that you are sure of and eliminate as many as possible that repeat that error.
Repeat the process with the remaining options until only One Remains.

Hope that clarifies things.

Regards,
Ajeeth Peo Francis
Logiquest, a Kaplan Certified Education provider.
_________________

Logiquest, India's Kaplan Certified Education Provider

Get in touch with us to experience a worldclass test-prep experience
Now in Bangalore, Hyderabad, Kolkata and Pune.


Originally posted by LogiquestGMAT on 28 May 2016, 04:06.
Last edited by LogiquestGMAT on 30 May 2016, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Posts: 59
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2016, 09:01
LogiquestGMAT wrote:
Hi Sa18,

About the comparison, you are absolutely right.
The comparison is between the courage of the two people.

Here's the sentence:
While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face of physical threats and verbal attacks was not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused to move to the back of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama.

Let's look at the options

(A) not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused
(B) not unlike Rosa Parks, who refused
(C) like Rosa Parks and her refusal
(D) like that of Rosa Parks for refusing
(E) as that of Rosa Parks, who refused

On first glance we realize that option B and C don't compare the correct things.
i.e. Courage vs Rosa Parks.
ELIMINATE options B and C.

Let's evaluate the remaining options.

Option E use of "as" is incorrect.
"as" is used only when actions are compared.
Eg. He dances as swiftly as she does.
Courage is not an action!
Eliminate Options E

Option B is concise and keeps the meaning intact
But option D uses the awkward construction "for refusing".

Option B is more concise and is therefore the correct response!

Take Away:
On the GMAT SC, there will be multiple errors that can be observed among the options, your job isn't to find ALL of them.
Rather zone in on an error that you are sure of and eliminate as many as possible that repeat that error.
Repeat the process with the remaining options until only One Remains.

Hope that clarifies things.

Regards,
Ajeeth Peo Francis
Logiquest, a Kaplan Certified Education provider.


Thanks for the explanation. But the OA is A and not B
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 May 2016
Posts: 8
While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2016, 23:34
Thanks for the Catch! :)
Fixed the problem!

I hope the explanation gave you some clarity about the question, though!
_________________

Logiquest, India's Kaplan Certified Education Provider

Get in touch with us to experience a worldclass test-prep experience
Now in Bangalore, Hyderabad, Kolkata and Pune.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 May 2016
Posts: 163
While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2016, 10:27
I am reading plenty of errors in your responses. Never mind, I also make a lot of errors.

Here, we can directly discard:

B and C for comparing Jackie Robinson's courage to Rosa Parks.
We can also discard E because when we compare nouns (Jackie Robinson's courage to that of Rosa Park), we must use "like", not "as".

Hence, we are left with A and D.

The key question for me here is why is the verb in option D "for refusing" not correct?

Your responses will be greatly appreciated.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2015
Posts: 392
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2016, 18:59
2
While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face of physical threats and verbal attacks was not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused to move to the back of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama.

Meaning of the sentence:
While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger -> Contrast that though Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger.
Courage of Jackie was not unlike that of Rosa Parks.
Courage is modified by "in the face of physical threats and verbal attacks".
Why the courage is not like that of Rosa Parks because she refused to move back of a bus in XYZ.

1) The comparison is correct as we are comparing courage to courage.
2) who -> is relative pronoun is correctly placed right next to the noun "Rosa Parks" and who + phrase is acting as a noun modifier.

(A) not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused -> Correct

(B) not unlike Rosa Parks, who refused
1) Comparing Courage to a person

(C) like Rosa Parks and her refusal
1) Comparing Courage to a person
2) The meaning completely changes. There is a contrast with the "While" and contrast is expressed with "his courage". But now as this sentence is joining another noun "her refusal" with the 1st noun "his courage", the meaning is distorted.

(D) like that of Rosa Parks for refusing
1) For provides the reason and the sentence provides the reason as to why the courage is like that of Rosa Parks. The meaning is not the intended meaning of the sentence.

(E) as that of Rosa Parks, who refused
1) As -> takes a noun only when it is a function otherwise as always takes a clause. Hence As usage is wrong.
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2722
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 07:54
gmatcrook wrote:
While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face of physical threats and verbal attacks was not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused to move to the back of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama.

(A) not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused
(B) not unlike Rosa Parks, who refused
(C) like Rosa Parks and her refusal
(D) like that of Rosa Parks for refusing
(E) as that of Rosa Parks, who refused


woah, that's a tough question...but knowing the comparison and identifying the intended meaning can help you solve this question in under 1 minute...

let's see...
JR was a BD.
his courage + verbal attacks was like that (courage+verbal attacks) of Rosa Parks.
Rosa Parks refused to move to the back of a bus.

A doesn't seem to have any problems. not unlike - might seem to be a double negative, so JR's smth was like smth of RP.
comparison used correctly.

B - compares smth to a person - out
C - compares smth to a person and that person's actions - out
D - for refusing - A sounds way better.
E - as+noun has a different meaning, as it presents function now - out.

A is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Aug 2015
Posts: 111
Location: India
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 10:52
I was stuck between A and E. Chose E (wrong).
Can some one please explain why AS is wrong in E so I do not make similar mistake.
I thought "that" is refererring to complete clause " courage in the face of physical threats and verbal attacks".
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2556
While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 11:50
dabhishek87 wrote:
I was stuck between A and E. Chose E (wrong).
Can some one please explain why AS is wrong in E so I do not make similar mistake.
I thought "that" is refererring to complete clause " courage in the face of physical threats and verbal attacks".




Hello dabhishek87,

I would be glad to help you resolve your doubt. :-)

Use of as is very specific on GMAT SC.

When as is used to present a comparison, then it must be followed by a clause. However, as is followed by a noun when it is used to present function or role of an entity.

For example:

1. The nurse takes care of me as a mother does. --> Comparison between nurse and mother

2. Tia joined St. Vincent's hospital as a nurse. --> Tia in the role of nurse OR Tia = nurse.


Now let's come back to the official sentence: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face of physical threats and verbal attacks was not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused to move to the back of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama.

The context of this sentence makes it absolutely clear that the sentence intends to present comparison between the courage of Jackie Robinson (JR) and the courage of Rosa parks.

Now let's evaluate the usage of as in Choice E: as that of Rosa Parks, who refused

In this choice, as has been followed by a noun entity that of Rosa Parks. This means that as in this choice presents role/function of JR's courage. This is definitely neither logical nor the meaning that the original sentence intends to convey. Hence, use of as in Choice E is incorrect.

Now you may ask that cannot we assume that was after Rosa Parks in Choice E is understood as was has already been used as the verb for the subject his courage?

The answer to this question is straight no because when presenting comparison using as, we cannot keep just the verb understood after the subject in the clause following as. It will then be difficult in certain cases to determine if the sentence intends to present comparison or function.

Various usages of As and Like has been covered in great details in our Sentence Correction course. The concepts are replete with pertinent examples.


The pronoun that in Choices A and E stand for the noun courage because courage of JR can be compared to that (courage) of Rosa Parks.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Feb 2017
Posts: 81
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 11:34
lawschoolsearcher wrote:
gmatcrook wrote:
While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face of physical threats and verbal attacks was not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused to move to the back of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama.

(A) not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused
(B) not unlike Rosa Parks, who refused
(C) like Rosa Parks and her refusal
(D) like that of Rosa Parks for refusing
(E) as that of Rosa Parks, who refused


We can start eliminating "as" form here. "AS" is used to compare clauses while "LIKE" to compare things, person (noun). So E is INCORRECT.

B & C incorrectly compares courage to Rosa Parks. This is LOGIC error.

We are left with A and D.

D is incorrect because of "for refusing"

not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused to move to the back of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama. WHO REFUSED is preferred and it simply modifies Rosa Parks

Therefore, A.

I think in E what follows As is prepositional phrase and not noun.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Sent from my XT1663 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Status: Countdown Begins...
Joined: 03 Jul 2016
Posts: 311
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 05:46
GMATNinja, can you please explain why choice D is incorrect ??
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1212
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 23:53
Imo A
I am not sure about two negatives but the sentence is trying to convey contrast between two individual.
Only A has that contrast and comparison

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
_________________

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 28 Mar 2017
Posts: 1052
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2017, 11:24
While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face of physical threats and verbal attacks was not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused to move to the back of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama.

(A) not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused -Correct
(B) not unlike Rosa Parks, who refused - Incorrect comparison (courage .... Rosa)
(C) like Rosa Parks and her refusal - and is wrongly used
(D) like that of Rosa Parks for refusing -for refusing is wrongly used
(E) as that of Rosa Parks, who refused -as should be replaced with like
_________________

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!


Preparing for RC my way


My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 29 Jun 2017
Posts: 346
Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 01:22
gmatcrook wrote:
While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face of physical threats and verbal attacks was not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused to move to the back of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama.

(A) not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused
(B) not unlike Rosa Parks, who refused
(C) like Rosa Parks and her refusal
(D) like that of Rosa Parks for refusing
(E) as that of Rosa Parks, who refused


look at choice d.
doing make troubles for us. i try to say simple thing of doing

in some pattern , doing refer to a noun in the sentence
learning gmat hard, i have a change to go to us for an mba

in other pattern, doing refer to a general action

learning gmat is good for logic reason.

in the pattern of choice D, refusing do not refer to any noun. so, refering is unclear in meaning. wrong.
Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in &nbs [#permalink] 06 Dec 2017, 01:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 37 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.